Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

wannabelawstudent

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officer

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:44 pm

You must give details a out 3:00 am texts.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:You must give details a out 3:00 am texts.

I won't for the 3am variety but did get one along the lines of "she knows about it, we are totally done for" at about 2pm one day. It was rather soon thereafter approached by a student who explained they were having a surprise birthday party for a family member and he meant to text "Mom" and not "Mike". That was pretty great.

Docreviewsux

Postby Docreviewsux » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:22 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:You must give details a out 3:00 am texts.

I won't for the 3am variety but did get one along the lines of "she knows about it, we are totally done for" at about 2pm one day. It was rather soon thereafter approached by a student who explained they were having a surprise birthday party for a family member and he meant to text "Mom" and not "Mike". That was pretty great.

How accurate were the employment figures at your law school?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Mistake #6: "Help my GPA has fallen and it can't get up" will be published tomorrow. The next 3 mistakes I am only announcing on Twitter FYI. Mistake #5 has to do with the LSAT and # 4 timing of decision notification from schools.

I'll try to post the LSAT blog on Sunday before donning my Game of Thrones costume for season 3. I'm dressing as Rickon.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:01 pm

Mike Spivey:

In regard to GPA, I was led to understand that one who does not attend a top rated UG school is judged by admissions dept. based on one's GPA VS. average UG GPA. How true is that? Any way for me to find out my UG average GPA?

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:38 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Mistake #6: "Help my GPA has fallen and it can't get up" will be published tomorrow. The next 3 mistakes I am only announcing on Twitter FYI. Mistake #5 has to do with the LSAT and # 4 timing of decision notification from schools.

I'll try to post the LSAT blog on Sunday before donning my Game of Thrones costume for season 3. I'm dressing as Rickon.

Pics or it didn't happen?:)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 pm

I have a one time offer for no particular reason. Likely I am in a good mood for Opening Day baseball and game of thrones and endorphins running from a good workout.

I will be in Boston next week, April 10th and 11th. If anyone is in the area and wants 30 minutes of free advice over coffee, please email me (not PM). I'll be available each morning so can do the first two people who email. I'll find a place near my hotel we can get together.

Hope this works for all!

-Mike

slawww

Postby slawww » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:06 pm

I have a question: why do schools sometimes take forever to render a decision? From my experience, it tends to be the schools that reject you(me) that take forever. This happened with a few of my hail mary applications, which I knew would result in a rejection, but they still took forever to provide a decision. Personally, I'd rather get put out of my misery quickly, rather than get my hopes up. Any experience with this?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:36 pm

slawww wrote:I have a question: why do schools sometimes take forever to render a decision? From my experience, it tends to be the schools that reject you(me) that take forever. This happened with a few of my hail mary applications, which I knew would result in a rejection, but they still took forever to provide a decision. Personally, I'd rather get put out of my misery quickly, rather than get my hopes up. Any experience with this?

Slaww...two blog posts away from this. Should have this one addressed by Wed or Thursday of this week.

Mistake #5: LSAT stuff

Mistake #4: Timing concerns

Mistake #3: Wait list Stuff

Mistake # 2 ??? (okay i know I am being dramatic)

Mistake #1 ???

So it's coming I promise!

JXander

Postby JXander » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Mike, thanks for this thread. It has been quite helpful.

I am very excited to see your post on Mistake #3. I have some questions regarding what to do on the waiting list.

slawww

Postby slawww » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks, Mike!

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:35 pm

JXander wrote:Mike, thanks for this thread. It has been quite helpful.

I am very excited to see your post on Mistake #3. I have some questions regarding what to do on the waiting list.

+1.

I really enjoy the blog posts.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Lumieres wrote:
JXander wrote:Mike, thanks for this thread. It has been quite helpful.

+1.

I really enjoy the blog posts.

Many thanks everyone! I will try to be detailed about the WL one and cover as much as possible. I realize that might have a broader impact for more people.

Trying to knock out this LSAT blog but for obvious reasons clients come first and I am jammed up! Apologies.

More soon I promise!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Here is the most recent, which is on LSAT advice. This likely will not help many people who have applied this cycle although I should note that when applicants are wait listed and a law schools says "let us know if you have any updates" what they are most interested in is undergraduate grade upticks and possible June LSAT improvement. So if you have a dream school, are below the median LSAT and on the WL, perhaps this blog offers some help re: "should I take the June LSAT?"

Likely, though, it will just upset a few people.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/

Next up is the WL misconceptions. I am keeping everyone on the WL in mind and will try to be thorough and hopefully add value.

kdog1147

Postby kdog1147 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:18 am

I was wondering when WL students can expect to see movement. As an OOS student (who would be driving across the country) I want to get off the waitlist (and hopefully in!) as soon as possible. For my top school choice I've already sent in my LOCI (which I and I think everyone else worries we messed up somehow) and updated with an additional LOR. I know we COULD get off the waitlist at any time up until the first day of class but I was wondering at what time (on average) we should expect more movement on the waitlists.

Again LOVE the advice on here and the blog you posted is super helpful!

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 am

Nice! Looking forward to the WL misconceptions post!

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 am

Lumieres wrote:Nice! Looking forward to the WL misconceptions post!

Same. This is going to be the big one for me, at least.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:52 am

Spivey, on behalf of the countless, miserable waitlisted applicants on this forum, we appreciate your work and anxiously await this upcoming post!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:51 am

gatorgirl2012 wrote:Spivey, on behalf of the countless, miserable waitlisted applicants on this forum, we appreciate your work and anxiously await this upcoming post!

I'm working on it. I am trying to balance value add to everyone without compromising my responsibility to my clients or my future business. it's tougher than it sounds :/ but basically I am going to keep with the theme of the countdown and dispel wait list myths. it should be up by tonight or tomorrow.

Purplebook

Postby Purplebook » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:17 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:Spivey, on behalf of the countless, miserable waitlisted applicants on this forum, we appreciate your work and anxiously await this upcoming post!

I'm working on it. I am trying to balance value add to everyone without compromising my responsibility to my clients or my future business. it's tougher than it sounds :/ but basically I am going to keep with the theme of the countdown and dispel wait list myths. it should be up by tonight or tomorrow.

Did you change your mind about posting this? :(

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Sorry for the delay, it's up:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/

I released the news early on twitter because I am trying to increase my twitter presence even though I have no idea why other than people tell me it is important:

https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult

and better news, I will have Mistake #3, "The Fight Club in You" up today as well.

I hope everyone enjoys.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Mistake #3 is up.

Working in Mistake #2: Shangri-Law (not what you think...)
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 pm

Good stuff Mike.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Hey Wannabe, I'll be at your future law school this Friday.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:25 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Hey Wannabe, I'll be at your future law school this Friday.

:D :D :D
See if you can find me a place to live...I wonder if I can negotiate a couch off them too.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”