Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

snappysalmons

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby snappysalmons » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:22 am

If you submit a deposit at a school that requires you to withdraw from everywhere else you've been admitted, do you actually have to do that? I know that schools won't know you're double deposited until May 15, but are they allowed to call up other schools and unilaterally withdraw you or something like that? I know you've said that double depositing is an effective way to continue negotiating, but I don't want to screw myself over. Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Quick FYI, Karen and I are at a conference on the future on legal education with a bunch of wise people with skinny arms (who can name who I quoted?). Apologies for slow responses.

Also, this has essentially turned into a "how can law students best get jobs" conference so we are trying to tweet the advice we think is most value-added.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:28 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Quick FYI, Karen and I are at a conference on the future on legal education with a bunch of wise people with skinny arms (who can name who I quoted?). Apologies for slow responses.

Also, this has essentially turned into a "how can law students best get jobs" conference so we are trying to tweet the advice we think is most value-added.

You ask anybody about lowering tuition yet?

haus

Postby haus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:32 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Quick FYI, Karen and I are at a conference on the future on legal education with a bunch of wise people with skinny arms (who can name who I quoted?). Apologies for slow responses.

But, if students did not have soul crushing debt, they might not be as pliable for their future owners employers.

redsox

Postby redsox » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:39 pm

haus wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:

But, if students did not have soul crushing debt, they might not be as pliable for their future owners employers.

Yeah, who wants employees when you can have indentured servants?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Are deferral requests binding? That is, once your deferral request is granted, are you automatically required to withdraw all apps and follow the deferral stips, or do you have time to think about it? I'm worried about depositing at a school that won't grant my request, but I'm also not ready to make a binding agreement yet.

Thank you! (also, please don't quote my username)

bonquiqui1990

Postby bonquiqui1990 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:02 pm

edited for scoobers
Last edited by bonquiqui1990 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:05 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:

I was going to but Dean Allard just beat me to the punch.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:59 pm

I gots some data! Will try to blog tonight after conference.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:14 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:I gots some data! Will try to blog tonight after conference.

What kinds o data

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Newish never before released LSAT bandwidth data, among others. As of 4/4/14.

UPDATE: Here it is, http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/aba-fa ... s-of-4414/

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:15 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Newish never before released LSAT bandwidth data, among others. As of 4/4/14.

Always delivering the people what they want!

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:32 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Newish never before released LSAT bandwidth data, among others. As of 4/4/14.

Interesting

Eta: since there are more ppl with 170+ scores! I wonder if the median drop thing at top schools is over ?

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:37 pm

jk148706 wrote:

Interesting

Eta: since there are more ppl with 170+ scores! I wonder if the median drop thing at top schools is over ?

yeah i feel like schools are becoming more comfortable with their medians and are beginning to take more risks

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:49 pm

I hate it when high scorers go up :?

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:27 am

No analysis here Spivey?

esrom55

Postby esrom55 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:52 am

drawstring wrote:I hate it when high scorers go up :?

To put this in perspective a little, the increase in 170-174 is only about 120 more people, and the 175+ is only ~ 40 more. So just looking at the Harvard applicant pool (for example), this would be about a 3% increase (assuming an additional 160 applicants over last year's 5,510 applicants). And that is completely ignoring the change in applicants in the 165-169 range (a drop of 300) and assuming the number of reapplicants is consistent year to year.

Yeah, it'd probably be nice if the total number of high scorers went down, but the percentages are somewhat misleading since the total number is so low.

anagram

Postby anagram » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:58 am

Hi Mike, Karen, thanks so much for answering our questions. I've got two questions about re-applying:

I got into my second choice and love it, but for various reasons I'm probably going to need a year or two before I start law school. I know it's dumb, but I also want another shot at HYS after coming so close. If I reapply next year, will the schools I've gotten into this round view my application in a negative light? In the sense of "we already gave you a shot and you turned it down" kind of way?

I'm also considering applying for deferral at my second choice, and then seeing what my last year's grades are in July to see whether re-applying is even a good idea. Is it a bad idea to commit to a school, be granted a deferral, and then withdraw in July?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 am

Mike and I will be tweeting some really interesting data for y'all today!

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:Mike and I will be tweeting some really interesting data for y'all today!

We love data.

2014jdapplicant

Postby 2014jdapplicant » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:15 am

anagram wrote:Hi Mike, Karen, thanks so much for answering our questions. I've got two questions about re-applying:

I got into my second choice and love it, but for various reasons I'm probably going to need a year or two before I start law school. I know it's dumb, but I also want another shot at HYS after coming so close. If I reapply next year, will the schools I've gotten into this round view my application in a negative light? In the sense of "we already gave you a shot and you turned it down" kind of way?

I'm also considering applying for deferral at my second choice, and then seeing what my last year's grades are in July to see whether re-applying is even a good idea. Is it a bad idea to commit to a school, be granted a deferral, and then withdraw in July?

Also very interested in the answer to this question. Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:21 am

2014jdapplicant wrote:
anagram wrote:Hi Mike, Karen, thanks so much for answering our questions. I've got two questions about re-applying:

Also very interested in the answer to this question. Thanks!

The idea of getting a deferral and then withdrawing could definitely hurt you at that one school. The notion of applying multiple cycles, even if you have been admitted a previous cycle but chose not to go to law school, likely would not have a negative impact all all. So I favor this route.

dadownclub8

Postby dadownclub8 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi. I am thinking about quitting my full time job to study for the September LSAT. My inquiry is about the gap time between sometime in May to September. How negatively would it be seen? I've thought about moving from this job to a part time job but once my LSAT is done I would want full time work. Probably looks worse that I'm hoping around from job to job no? Should I fill in the time with volunteer work so there are no gaps or can I just focus on making sure my numbers are where they need to be? Thank you.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:23 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:Mike and I will be tweeting some really interesting data for y'all today!

We love data.

8)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:53 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

We love data.

8)

Here is some more! I apologize that WordPress sucks so bad.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/applic ... by-region/

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”