Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

Proud2B19

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby Proud2B19 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:48 pm

Thank you Spivey Consultant Group for sharing your experiences with potential applicants! I hope the team will be able to address some questions relating to a younger non-typical age applicant (19 when entering law school) who has not cured cancer. Given a greater than 75% GPA for all T14 schools and has a 17 in their LSAT number. For T14 admission committee members, how much does the applicant’s age play a part in the admission process? Is there a natural bias to overlook these applicants simply based on their current life experiences? Any information you decide to share would be appreciated as there is a lack of information regarding these young applicants in the forums. Thanks.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:52 pm

How do T14 view a downward grade trend?

My GPA was around a 4 during my first 2 years, and I am going to graduate with around a cGPA of 3.95.

Could be a near-fatal blow. Strongly suggest you change majors and transfer to a school like Cornell that awards A+'s. Two years of those, and you can reverse the downward slide into oblivion of TTT. :mrgreen:

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Will adcoms ever tell waitlisted/rejected applicants why they didn't get in or what the weaknesses of their application are, particularly if they express their intention to re-apply?

Thanks!

hopefulapplicant2

Postby hopefulapplicant2 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:58 pm

Should a LOCI, when one is on the wait-list, be addressed to the Dean of Admissions or the associate dean who sent me the wait list email? Thanks! I am on the wait-list for my top choice, UVA

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:10 pm

How do law schools view in completes on transcripts? If the GPA and the rest of the transcript is solid, is there an assumption that the incomplete will be resolved, or is that just wishful thinking?

Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:00 pm

hopefulapplicant2 wrote:Should a LOCI, when one is on the wait-list, be addressed to the Dean of Admissions or the associate dean who sent me the wait list email? Thanks! I am on the wait-list for my top choice, UVA

I did this over PM but to answer here I'd always address the letter to admissions dean.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:02 pm

drawstring wrote:Will adcoms ever tell waitlisted/rejected applicants why they didn't get in or what the weaknesses of their application are, particularly if they express their intention to re-apply?

Thanks!

It is unlikely, for litigious reasons, that you would get an answer specific to your application, FYI. I guess Karen and I could speculate for people but that doesn't seem like a great service the more I think of it.

Speaking of, we are both under the gun work wise but I will try to jump back on here tonight.

Hahalollawl

Postby Hahalollawl » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:Hey all,
Thanks for your advice so far. I posted in the FAQ, but maybe you guys would be better able to respond to my question. My issue is with regard to LOCIs. Is it appropriate to send an LOCI after you've been deferred (in December) by a school you applied to Early Decision but haven't received a final decision yet? I thought it seemed like a good idea, but then I read (http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2012/ ... _waitlists) that it's not appropriate to send in a LOCI if you've been held (is there a difference between deferred and held by the way?) and it's before April and "Stand-alone LOCIs don't become appropriate until after April". Is this true?

Also, if a stand-alone LOCI is not a good idea at this time, would it make a difference (i.e. make it acceptable to send a LOCI) if I include a section on "Why X?" in an LOCI if I didn't include a "Why X?" essay in my initial ED application? Or does the fact that I applied ED make a LOCI redundant (does the fact that I applied ED make it already obvious I'm strongly interested)?

Thanks for your help!

Does anyone happen to have an answer for this one? Is it appropriate/advisable to send a LOCI to a school that deferred you ED? Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:Hey all,
Thanks for your advice so far. I posted in the FAQ, but maybe you guys would be better able to respond to my question. My issue is with regard to LOCIs. Is it appropriate to send an LOCI after you've been deferred (in December) by a school you applied to Early Decision but haven't received a final decision yet? I thought it seemed like a good idea, but then I read (http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2012/ ... _waitlists) that it's not appropriate to send in a LOCI if you've been held (is there a difference between deferred and held by the way?) and it's before April and "Stand-alone LOCIs don't become appropriate until after April". Is this true?

Also, if a stand-alone LOCI is not a good idea at this time, would it make a difference (i.e. make it acceptable to send a LOCI) if I include a section on "Why X?" in an LOCI if I didn't include a "Why X?" essay in my initial ED application? Or does the fact that I applied ED make a LOCI redundant (does the fact that I applied ED make it already obvious I'm strongly interested)?

Thanks for your help!

Does anyone happen to have an answer for this one? Is it appropriate/advisable to send a LOCI to a school that deferred you ED? Thanks!

It is certainly appropriate. Go for it.

DetroitRed

Postby DetroitRed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:15 am

Hi,

I posted this question in the general admissions forum and did get responses, but I wanted to pose it to a former admissions officer. I have a 3.71 from my undergrad (a deflationary top LAC) but an LSDAS GPA of 3.84 (owing to college classes taken in high school). For predictive purposes, will most T-14 law schools consider me to have a 3.84, a 3.71, or neither?

vec93

Postby vec93 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:03 pm

Last edited by vec93 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:04 am

vec93 wrote:My apologies in advance for being pedantic.

Does taking a (business law) course pass/fail affect my chances of getting into a T6? It will be the only P/F on my transcript.

I tried scouring the forum to calm my OCD but I couldn't find anything specific :(

Failing it would.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:03 am

If I want to be a coach, what school should I go to?

Postby 20141023 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:05 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DetroitRed

Postby DetroitRed » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi,

I posted this question in the general admissions forum and did get responses, but I wanted to pose it to a former admissions officer. I have a 3.71 from my undergrad (a deflationary top LAC) but an LSDAS GPA of 3.84 (owing to college classes taken in high school). For predictive purposes, will most T-14 law schools consider me to have a 3.84, a 3.71, or neither?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:07 pm

DetroitRed wrote:Hi,

Your LSAC Cumulative GPA is what matters for statistical purposes. It is what they report to the ABA, so that is your number!

Cheers,
karen

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Proud2B19 wrote:Thank you Spivey Consultant Group for sharing your experiences with potential applicants! I hope the team will be able to address some questions relating to a younger non-typical age applicant (19 when entering law school) who has not cured cancer. Given a greater than 75% GPA for all T14 schools and has a 17 in their LSAT number. For T14 admission committee members, how much does the applicant’s age play a part in the admission process? Is there a natural bias to overlook these applicants simply based on their current life experiences? Any information you decide to share would be appreciated as there is a lack of information regarding these young applicants in the forums. Thanks.

It depends on the school as well as how the applicant presents themselves in the application, and perhaps in the interview if that is part of the process. Maturity, experience and thoughtfulness on the "why law" question as well as the "why law now" question will play a major role in the decision when the numbers are not necessarily part of the equation.

Cheers,
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Pau.C. wrote:I asked this a bit earlier but it may have been overlooked. I have a few quick questions about reapplying.

1. How do schools generally look upon re-applicants who were denied?

2. How should an applicant reapply to a school where they were given an interview and then denied?

For example, if someone were given an interview at Harvard and then denied, would reapplying with a better LSAT or Work Experience help much? Or does the fact that the person was denied after the interview mean that the school doesn't want them because of their personality?

3. Finally, when a school says they require a new Personal Statement for re-applicants, does that mean they want a new Diversity Statement as well, or can someone reuse/tweak their old one?

Wow... those are lot of questions. Thanks for your help!

1. Depends on the school, but reapplicants are generally advised to have something new or additional to their prior application (time and experience help here too)
2. If you can retake the test - do it. If you are currently working that additional year may also help. People who are denied after the interview are not necessarily denied because of the interview - although that is possible, it is not the norm, I'd say.
3. You can probably use the old diversity statement since that piece of information still matters and hasn't changed.

Cheers,
KB

dcpanther

Postby dcpanther » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Last edited by dcpanther on Tue May 13, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buckeyes1987

Postby Buckeyes1987 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:06 pm

I posted this story previously on this forum but wanted to get a better opinion on it.

In 2009, I was heavily involved in bodybuilding and was arrested when my landlord found my steroid cycle in my room. Due to the lack of understanding about how much constitutes personal use I was initially charged with 3 counts of drug trafficking and 6 counts of drug possession (account for each different type of steroid in my 8 week cycle), all of which were felonies. The charge sheet would make you think I'm a Mexican Cartel member. The trafficking charges were soon dropped and the judge felt that I deserved another shot and placed me on a diversion program for a year. After completion the all the charges were dismissed. The record of the arrest was then later expunged.

Since then, I've ceased all use of steroids, got married, had three children, done a substantial amount of volunteer work and even started a human rights organization.

My Lsac gpa is 3.8 and lsat was a 177.

I was wondering how negatively admissions would look at the criminal charges from 2009.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:01 pm

dcpanther wrote:Karen/Mike,

Sorry if this has already been asked, but do visits to schools you have been waitlisted at make a positive impression? Should an applicant try to speak to an Admissions officer to express their enthusiasm after deposit deadlines (e.g. in May), or could that be perceived negatively?

Thank you so much!

yes yes yes! Probably the best thing you can do at most schools, unless you go in there like a bulldozer. Definitely visit!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Buckeye, I sent you a PM FYI.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi Karen or Mike,
I posted this question a few days ago, and I think it got lost in the other discussions. If you have a moment, could I get your thoughts on this? I'd really appreciate it!
theycallmefoes wrote:How do law schools view in completes on transcripts? If the GPA and the rest of the transcript is solid, is there an assumption that the incomplete will be resolved, or is that just wishful thinking?

Thanks!

thestatusguo

Postby thestatusguo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Buckeyes1987 wrote:I posted this story previously on this forum but wanted to get a better opinion on it.

In 2009, I was heavily involved in bodybuilding and was arrested when my landlord found my steroid cycle in my room. Due to the lack of understanding about how much constitutes personal use I was initially charged with 3 counts of drug trafficking and 6 counts of drug possession (account for each different type of steroid in my 8 week cycle), all of which were felonies. The charge sheet would make you think I'm a Mexican Cartel member. The trafficking charges were soon dropped and the judge felt that I deserved another shot and placed me on a diversion program for a year. After completion the all the charges were dismissed. The record of the arrest was then later expunged.

Since then, I've ceased all use of steroids, got married, had three children, done a substantial amount of volunteer work and even started a human rights organization.

My Lsac gpa is 3.8 and lsat was a 177.

I was wondering how negatively admissions would look at the criminal charges from 2009.

Enjoy Yale :P

Pau.C.

Postby Pau.C. » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:53 am

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”