Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

FOM

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby FOM » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:27 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Here's some data I found interesting. Any surprises?

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/google ... w-schools/

What Michigan and Georgetown lack in employment numbers, they sure make up in google searches.

edit: compared to the rest of the T-14 that is

schnaupal

Postby schnaupal » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Hello Spivey Consultants! Thank you for all that you do on the forums. I apologize if this has already been asked, but is there any rule against riding two waitlists? I've already been waitlisted at my second choice school and have not heard anything from my top choice yet, which at this point I'm guessing is a WL at best since I applied months ago.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm

schnaupal wrote:Hello Spivey Consultants! Thank you for all that you do on the forums. I apologize if this has already been asked, but is there any rule against riding two waitlists? I've already been waitlisted at my second choice school and have not heard anything from my top choice yet, which at this point I'm guessing is a WL at best since I applied months ago.

There's no rule that limits how many WLs you can be on; the only reason to get off a wait list is if you know you won't attend. And you should remove yourself if you know you wouldn't attend, but otherwise, stay in the game. Good luck!

schnaupal

Postby schnaupal » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks!

Sally91

Postby Sally91 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:12 pm

edit
Last edited by Sally91 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dd235

Postby dd235 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:35 am

I’ve noticed that some schools require a first seat deposit that is less than the second (for example, I think at Cornell the first deposit is $300 and the second is $600). Why do they do this? Doesn’t it make more sense for them to reverse the order? I mean, it seems like a higher first seat deposit would deter some people from depositing at multiple schools, and would also mean more money for the schools when double depositors withdrawal

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:49 am

dd235 wrote:I’ve noticed that some schools require a first seat deposit that is less than the second (for example, I think at Cornell the first deposit is $300 and the second is $600). Why do they do this? Doesn’t it make more sense for them to reverse the order? I mean, it seems like a higher first seat deposit would deter some people from depositing at multiple schools, and would also mean more money for the schools when double depositors withdrawal

They think they can get you interested and psychologically committed and then you might explore further and become invested. I agree though that the first deposit yields a lot of valuable data -- which is why WUSTL's refundable first deposit makes zero sense to me.

Who is psyched for GoT tonight?

dd235

Postby dd235 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:49 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
dd235 wrote:I’ve noticed that some schools require a first seat deposit that is less than the second (for example, I think at Cornell the first deposit is $300 and the second is $600). Why do they do this? Doesn’t it make more sense for them to reverse the order? I mean, it seems like a higher first seat deposit would deter some people from depositing at multiple schools, and would also mean more money for the schools when double depositors withdrawal

They think they can get you interested and psychologically committed and then you might explore further and become invested. I agree though that the first deposit yields a lot of valuable data -- which is why WUSTL's refundable first deposit makes zero sense to me.

Interesting. Thanks!

I’m actually pretty nervous about GoT... I watched an interview with some of the actors saying that it really starts to pick up this season which is a scary thought

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Sally91 wrote:So I'd be really grateful if Ms Buttenbaum could answer this perhaps. In interviews, it seems a popular question to ask whether a K-JD applicant is really ready for law school, or if additional work experience plus a later application would be better. What would you like to see an applicant say to this quite terrifying question? Thank you!

In general, when you are K-JD, you should have a well-thought-out, mature reason for wanting to go to law school at this point.

KB

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:17 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, WUSTL's first deposit is non-refundable this year.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:22 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

https://law.wustl.edu/admissions/pages.aspx?id=83

The first tuition deposit is refundable only if the Admissions Office is notified, in writing, before May 1 that you will not be enrolling. The second tuition deposit is non-refundable. All tuition deposits are applied to tuition.

Refundable until May 1st

Pau.C.

Postby Pau.C. » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:09 pm

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:27 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

https://law.wustl.edu/admissions/pages.aspx?id=83

The first tuition deposit is refundable only if the Admissions Office is notified, in writing, before May 1 that you will not be enrolling. The second tuition deposit is non-refundable. All tuition deposits are applied to tuition.

Refundable until May 1st

From the admitted students portal where you actually pay the deposit:

All deposits are non-refundable and will be applied to the first semester's tuition.

vec93

Postby vec93 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:55 pm

Last edited by vec93 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:16 pm

vec93 wrote:How do T14 view a downward grade trend?

My GPA was around a 4 during my first 2 years, and I am going to graduate with around a cGPA of 3.95.

:|

redsox

Postby redsox » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:32 pm

My GPA was around a 4 during my first 2 years, and I am going to graduate with around a cGPA of 3.95.

As long as you're able to give them a reasonable explanation for such a precipitous dropoff (several deaths in the family, overcoming cancer, taking all PhD courses, losing both hands and becoming blind, etc.) it shouldn't hurt you TOO much.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:33 pm

redsox wrote:

As long as you're able to give them a reasonable explanation for such a precipitous dropoff (several deaths in the family, overcoming cancer, taking all PhD courses, losing both hands and becoming blind, etc.) it shouldn't hurt you TOO much.

Yea redsox nailed this. No real reason to worry about a 3.95...although if you lost a hand I know who can fashion you a nice gold replacement one.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Flame? If not, don't worry. This is not considered a "downward trend."

vec93

Postby vec93 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:46 pm

Last edited by vec93 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:56 pm

I figured I'd post this here too, because me tweets don't really reach people or do anything, politely stated.

"Curious if law schools get a yield bump if their university wins NCAA tournament, given the timing of seat deposits and NC2A tournament."

I doubt it but it would be interesting to crunch some numbers and see.

dd235

Postby dd235 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:59 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Yea redsox nailed this. No real reason to worry about a 3.95...although if you lost a hand I know who can fashion you a nice gold replacement one.

+1

redsox

Postby redsox » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:42 am

MikeSpivey wrote:I figured I'd post this here too, because me tweets don't really reach people or do anything, politely stated.

"Curious if law schools get a yield bump if their university wins NCAA tournament, given the timing of seat deposits and NC2A tournament."

I doubt it but it would be interesting to crunch some numbers and see.

When I was at Duke a professor said that they accidentally ended up with a particularly male-heavy class the last time they won because their male yield was higher than expected. Don't know if it's true.

Hahalollawl

Postby Hahalollawl » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:34 am

Hey all,
Thanks for your advice so far. I posted in the FAQ, but maybe you guys would be better able to respond to my question. My issue is with regard to LOCIs. Is it appropriate to send an LOCI after you've been deferred (in December) by a school you applied to Early Decision but haven't received a final decision yet? I thought it seemed like a good idea, but then I read (http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2012/ ... _waitlists) that it's not appropriate to send in a LOCI if you've been held (is there a difference between deferred and held by the way?) and it's before April and "Stand-alone LOCIs don't become appropriate until after April". Is this true?

Also, if a stand-alone LOCI is not a good idea at this time, would it make a difference (i.e. make it acceptable to send a LOCI) if I include a section on "Why X?" in an LOCI if I didn't include a "Why X?" essay in my initial ED application? Or does the fact that I applied ED make a LOCI redundant (does the fact that I applied ED make it already obvious I'm strongly interested)?

Thanks for your help!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:32 pm

I put a poll at the front of the page, I've been curious about this and just now figured out how to ask. Me not so smart.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=197451&p=6037976#p6037976

Pau.C.

Postby Pau.C. » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:12 am

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”