Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

LRGhost

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officer

Postby LRGhost » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Because he's no longer a 'wannabe' law student!

Mr. Spivey, can you divulge any information about getting off of WLs? Are there things that we can do to garner movement or are most attempts largely just showing continued interest and it's really just up to where schools need to work with medians?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:06 pm

I think he said to changed my screen name because I'm no longer gonna be a wannabe. But I think the #1 reason has to do with schollies....knowing my luck....ive already done it.

I predict a lot of "Help Mike I've done #7,5,3 and 2 of your list! What should I do now! I also may have done 4 and 6!" messages and Pms in your future.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Haha, okay. My immediate thought was the impact on scholarship negotiation as well. I'm rooting for it to be just us overthinking the issue and that it was just a statement regarding 'wannabe.'

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:41 pm

talesofyore wrote:Haha, okay. My immediate thought was the impact on scholarship negotiation as well. I'm rooting for it to be just us overthinking the issue and that it was just a statement regarding 'wannabe.'

Nah I think homeland misunderstood what you were asking, I'm 100% sure mike meant that I needed to change the wannabe part.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:44 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
talesofyore wrote:Haha, okay. My immediate thought was the impact on scholarship negotiation as well. I'm rooting for it to be just us overthinking the issue and that it was just a statement regarding 'wannabe.'

Nah I think homeland misunderstood what you were asking, I'm 100% sure mike meant that I needed to change the wannabe part.

Sweet, thanks.

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 pm

I was just referring to spivys list, and saying that it's definitely scholarship related haha

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Wormfather wrote:It could be getting drunk at ASW and saying inappropriate things to the Dean of Admissions. However I've done this and survived.

Well i did say mistakes people seem to be making this year...but past years, yes ouch.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:47 pm

kdog1147

Postby kdog1147 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 am

Can you retake a June LSAT in order to get off the waitlist at a school and/or for more scholarship money at the schools you have been accepted too?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:11 am

kdog1147 wrote:Can you retake a June LSAT in order to get off the waitlist at a school and/or for more scholarship money at the schools you have been accepted too?

Yes!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:47 am

LRGhost wrote:Because he's no longer a 'wannabe' law student!

Mr. Spivey, can you divulge any information about getting off of WLs? Are there things that we can do to garner movement or are most attempts largely just showing continued interest and it's really just up to where schools need to work with medians?

I think mistake #9 touches on this ever so slightly. Or at least provides some optimism.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/

And there will be a good deal more in the countdown -- which I am going to try to bang out each and every day for the next 7 days unless some travel and speaking engagements slow me down. So more on WL very soon! (Mistake #7 will also offer some help here, I think)

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:54 am

Thank you!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:55 am

Hang in there Ghost and others!~ I'm going to try to gear a few of the upcoming posts more towards wait list realities, opportunities and mistakes.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:20 pm

Hopefully some of my yammering here may help some people on the wait list. Visit schools if you are and can! best thing you can do.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/mistak ... aw-school/

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:35 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Hopefully some of my yammering here may help some people on the wait list. Visit schools if you are and can! best thing you can do.

Thank you! If I can be fortunate enough to not get dinged at a couple schools, I was planning on taking a trip down the east coast to visit. This at least makes me more confident in my Why X's and LOCI. Also, for your information, you've titled this Mistake #9 but I believe it should be #8.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 pm

LRGhost wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Hopefully some of my yammering here may help some people on the wait list. Visit schools if you are and can! best thing you can do.

Also, for your information, you've titled this Mistake #9 but I believe it should be #8.

I have this weird, Monty Python-esque aversion to the number 8, apparently. Thanks!

uieLouAy

Postby uieLouAy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Hey Mike, will my involvement and leadership in drug law reform organizations hurt my chances at getting into schools (I'll be applying next year)? I'm a founding member and current president of my college's NORML chapter. I was also appointed the legislative director of my state's NORML chapter. Both of my chapters are professionally run and try to disassociate from the "stoner" stereotype NORML/the marijuana legalization movement has, I'm just afraid of how schools will react when they see NORML all over my application. I'm very passionate about drug laws and have done a lot of work trying to change them so this isn't something small that I would just leave out, and I'm also considering writing about my experiences in NORML in my personal statement (not decided on it, just an idea). I want to know how you feel about all of this and if you had any experiences with applicants in similar organizations (SSDP, DPA, etc). Thanks so much.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:17 am

uieLouAy wrote:Hey Mike, will my involvement and leadership in drug law reform organizations hurt my chances at getting into schools (I'll be applying next year)? I'm a founding member and current president of my college's NORML chapter. I was also appointed the legislative director of my state's NORML chapter. Both of my chapters are professionally run and try to disassociate from the "stoner" stereotype NORML/the marijuana legalization movement has, I'm just afraid of how schools will react when they see NORML all over my application. I'm very passionate about drug laws and have done a lot of work trying to change them so this isn't something small that I would just leave out, and I'm also considering writing about my experiences in NORML in my personal statement (not decided on it, just an idea). I want to know how you feel about all of this and if you had any experiences with applicants in similar organizations (SSDP, DPA, etc). Thanks so much.

I think in the majority of cases it will help and not hurt. I imagine the admissions professionals we be able to be dispassionate enough about their preferences, one way or the other, and focus on your leadership and professionalism of the program. So while I can not say every school will look at it this way, I certainly suspect the majority will. Sounds like you are really into this and your passion will be appreciated. Good luck!!

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:05 am

Digging the "top mistakes" blog series Mike.

totalgleek

Postby totalgleek » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:10 am

Last edited by totalgleek on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:14 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Digging the "top mistakes" blog series Mike.

Thanks, man! I'll be back at it Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Can't wait!

skri65

Postby skri65 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:38 pm

In terms of negotiation, how much is too much? For example, I was just offered a half-tuition scholarship at a school where I am at their medians from last year. I plan on negotiating, but at what point do you say to yourself, "OK, I've gotten all I can from them." Where is the line you don't want to cross in terms of pissing the admissions office and potentially losing your spot. Is it reasonable to ask "look, if you give me $$$, I will put down my deposits at your school."

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Do admissions officers look at the individual sections of the LSAT? Say you're comparing two 167s but one aced RC and the other fared better in the logic sections, would you weigh them differently?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:38 pm

talesofyore wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Can't wait!

Sorry for the slight delay on blogging--I've been out of pocket. Will try to knock off some more Q's over the next few days but here is a glimpse of a few things that drive admissions officers crazy in the top 10 mistake countdown.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/mistak ... timezones/

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”