Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

WaltGrace83

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby WaltGrace83 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:21 am

Mike/Karen,

I am most likely going to attend law school in Fall 2015. I graduated in December and I have always wanted to try my hand at high school teaching and so that's what I am doing next school year. I will start a program in July in which I will be teaching at my alma mater, something that I have wanted to do since leaving there. This program - how I actually got this job in the first place - is considered by the school as volunteering because i don't receive a teacher's salary. Instead, they give me a house, a car, pay for my gas, food, etc. and give me a modest stipend per month for spending money. However, my contract still says that I am a full-time teacher with all of the benefits that come with that. So my question is this: will it look better to spin this experience as "employment," "volunteering," or both? Volunteering seems to say something about who I am as a person but employment seems to say something about my ability to find a job which apparently is becoming more and more important.

Thanks for any insight!

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:35 am

The blog today is 180 I loved it.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:17 am

Pneumonia wrote:The blog today is 180 I loved it.

Perfection. 180. -0 across the board.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:27 am

well done, s-consulting. Bravo.

SnakySalmon

Postby SnakySalmon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:28 am

Pneumonia wrote:The blog today is 180 I loved it.

More like 210. Picked up a lot of points in the cube counting contest, but -10 in the sticking keys in holes section.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:43 am

For those of you whose heart may have skipped a beat because of today's blog, at least we didn't do this:
http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2014/03 ... ndard.html

:shock:

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:52 am

Just an fyi I am going to try to catch up on PMS this Friday. I've been swimming in deadlines and now hate PMs so a bit behind, apologies for that.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:00 pm

What advice would you give to a URM with a 3.9 and a 160? I could retake, but as you said often people think they are special, will get lucky, etc.. and often do not score better. Aside from retaking, do you think I have a shot at any HYS?

SnakySalmon

Postby SnakySalmon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:06 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:For those of you whose heart may have skipped a beat because of today's blog, at least we didn't do this:

Scamblogger critics called it yet another ABA sham. "I'll bet that everyone on that Committee is in the pocket of [Santa Clara law professor Stephen] Diamond", wrote one anonymous commenter at Lawyers, Guns and Bitcoins. And with an almost ritualistic incantation, the commenter added, "Brian Leiter is nothing more than a legal philosopher and quite possibly an oenophile."

:lol:

redsox

Postby redsox » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:33 pm

manillabay wrote:I was only fooled for about 2 minutes. Nonetheless, I am quite annoyed by this stunt you have pulled. LSAT is serious emotional business for some and you had some in some serious emotional turmoil.

Stop being a wuss.

haus

Postby haus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:17 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:For those of you whose heart may have skipped a beat because of today's blog, at least we didn't do this:

I like the option for the fMRI as a LSAT substitute.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:27 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Just an fyi I am going to try to catch up on PMS this Friday..

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:30 pm

PMs.

See how busy I am.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Clearly wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Just an fyi I am going to try to catch up on PMS this Friday..

I'm dying laughing at this! :lol:

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:50 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:Mike/Karen,

I am most likely going to attend law school in Fall 2015. I graduated in December and I have always wanted to try my hand at high school teaching and so that's what I am doing next school year. I will start a program in July in which I will be teaching at my alma mater, something that I have wanted to do since leaving there. This program - how I actually got this job in the first place - is considered by the school as volunteering because i don't receive a teacher's salary. Instead, they give me a house, a car, pay for my gas, food, etc. and give me a modest stipend per month for spending money. However, my contract still says that I am a full-time teacher with all of the benefits that come with that. So my question is this: will it look better to spin this experience as "employment," "volunteering," or both? Volunteering seems to say something about who I am as a person but employment seems to say something about my ability to find a job which apparently is becoming more and more important.

Thanks for any insight!

Teaching is already admirable and worthwhile. To the extent that you need to sell the gig in your applications, I'd err on the side of making the position seem selective. "I'm volunteering" can be a euphemism for "I couldn't land a job," and law schools are going to shy away from that. I'd sell it either as standard employment or a "fellowship." Also, while teaching is insanely hard work (or at least my teaching job was), don't expect admissions committees to know this. "Volunteering" as a teacher might sound like a 10 hour a week gig to the person that reads your file.

WaltGrace83

Postby WaltGrace83 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:03 am

kcdc1 wrote:Teaching is already admirable and worthwhile. To the extent that you need to sell the gig in your applications, I'd err on the side of making the position seem selective. "I'm volunteering" can be a euphemism for "I couldn't land a job," and law schools are going to shy away from that. I'd sell it either as standard employment or a "fellowship." Also, while teaching is insanely hard work (or at least my teaching job was), don't expect admissions committees to know this. "Volunteering" as a teacher might sound like a 10 hour a week gig to the person that reads your file.

Thanks a lot for your insight! The job is quite selective, only about 10 people are chosen out of possibly hundreds of applications so I'll probably show this in some way on my resume. It is just an odd program because, as I said, one is paid but is also considered to be a volunteer. Anyway, thanks again!

hk227

Postby hk227 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:30 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
hk227 wrote:I wish I'd have joined TLS way earlier (like before I applied...).

Anyway, I've been getting a lot of advice on whether or not to Good luck! Follow your dreams! the LSAT a second time. I read your post on it as well Mike. Basically, I didn't get into some of my top choices this cycle but I applied pretty late (read: February). I'm wondering if in a situation like this, a Good luck! Follow your dreams! would be advised to raise my score or I should just reapply earlier next cycle. I guess my question is how does the timing of applications affect admission especially in cases with >75 GPA and median or just below median LSAT?

If you are unhappy with your results, I would Good luck! Follow your dreams! and reapply earlier in the cycle!

Thanks! How much does applying early affect my outcomes? If I was to reapply early with the same stats, would I have improved chances of admission?

manillabay

Postby manillabay » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:57 am

Serious question: does being good looking help you with a adcomm interview?

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:01 am

manillabay wrote:Serious question: does being good looking help you with a adcomm interview?

Can't hurt (unless you make it clear you are using your looks to advance your cause) but I wouldn't say it is a significant factor because I am not good looking but felt my interview went well and I eventually got in.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:10 am

manillabay wrote:Serious question: does being good looking help you with a adcomm interview?

Uhmm when doesn't looking good help you? Serious answer.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:38 am

Seriouser question: can Spivey Consulting help make me more attractive?

SnakySalmon

Postby SnakySalmon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:53 am

Winston1984 wrote:Seriouser question: can Spivey Consulting help make me more attractive?

Running that 10k couldn't hurt.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:24 pm

There is certainly a "likeability factor" that plays a role in decision-making, so being attractive can't hurt there. But being a jackass trumps even Hollywood good looks. For reals.

KB

manillabay

Postby manillabay » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:28 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:

There is certainly a "likeability factor" that plays a role in decision-making, so being attractive can't hurt there. But being a jackass trumps even Hollywood good looks. For reals.

KB

Are you implying that I'm a jackass?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:35 pm

manillabay wrote:
Are you implying that I'm a jackass?

Of course she isn't, quit being insufferable.
Last edited by Pneumonia on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”