Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

nothingtosee

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:17 pm

So about that "we don't rank the waitlist" blogpost... :)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:46 pm

nothingtosee wrote:So about that "we don't rank the waitlist" blogpost... :)

Blogs on my personal and unobtainable jogging times don't add value to people on law school admissions. I am shocked.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:46 am

It's coming today.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:47 am

fransan42 wrote:I have a question :)

How does Harvard look upon an applicant that takes an extra year of undergrad to take easy classes (to raise GPA), such as 100 level courses? "
Specifically, an AA urm applicant.

If one gets a gpa close to the median and a good lsat score, would they still look upon it negatively?

Thank you! :D

I talked to someone who is an expert on Harvard and they (or perhaps "she") is a bit worried this is too specific of a question. Sorry we can't be more helpful!

Pau.C.

Postby Pau.C. » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Here you go, sorry for the delay on this one:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/rank-me-please/

haus

Postby haus » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Pau.C. wrote:Hello! Thanks for all your help so far.

I am just wondering how schools view a 2nd LSAT retake (3rd LSAT in 2 years?)

If it's higher, do the two lower scores hurt? If it's lower, does the higher score/scores make up for it?

And does taking it a third time look bad in general? If I received a 170+ on my third try, would it still be viewed badly since it took me three tries?

Thanks again!

You might want to take a look at this Spivey blog post.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/mistak ... at-advice/

hk227

Postby hk227 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:41 pm

I wish I'd have joined TLS way earlier (like before I applied...).

Anyway, I've been getting a lot of advice on whether or not to retake the LSAT a second time. I read your post on it as well Mike. Basically, I didn't get into some of my top choices this cycle but I applied pretty late (read: February). I'm wondering if in a situation like this, a retake would be advised to raise my score or I should just reapply earlier next cycle. I guess my question is how does the timing of applications affect admission especially in cases with >75 GPA and median or just below median LSAT?

dcpanther

Postby dcpanther » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Last edited by dcpanther on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:32 am

Hi Mike/Karen,

I asked this in another thread but I'd like a second opinion. If I graduate in May, start a full time job at that time, then apply in September, will I be probably be looked at as someone with a few months of WE or someone who will have about 1.5 years of WE upon matriculating (i.e. NOT a K-JD)?

Thank you!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:58 am

drawstring wrote:Hi Mike/Karen,

I asked this in another thread but I'd like a second opinion. If I graduate in May, start a full time job at that time, then apply in September, will I be probably be looked at as someone with a few months of WE or someone who will have about 1.5 years of WE upon matriculating (i.e. NOT a K-JD)?

Thank you!

Yep! You will be viewed as having a year up on whatever % are K-JD. I think LSAC should have that % at their public website, btw.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:44 pm

hk227 wrote:I wish I'd have joined TLS way earlier (like before I applied...).

Anyway, I've been getting a lot of advice on whether or not to retake the LSAT a second time. I read your post on it as well Mike. Basically, I didn't get into some of my top choices this cycle but I applied pretty late (read: February). I'm wondering if in a situation like this, a retake would be advised to raise my score or I should just reapply earlier next cycle. I guess my question is how does the timing of applications affect admission especially in cases with >75 GPA and median or just below median LSAT?

If you are unhappy with your results, I would retake and reapply earlier in the cycle!

manillabay

Postby manillabay » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:03 pm

If I graduate in December and apply during December for the next fall, will I be viewed as a K-JD and will the extra time off, where I will presumably be working, help my application in terms of having work experience? Is this type of work experience (outside of school, I have a job in school) pretty important for top law schools?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:25 pm

manillabay wrote:If I graduate in December and apply during December for the next fall, will I be viewed as a K-JD and will the extra time off, where I will presumably be working, help my application in terms of having work experience? Is this type of work experience (outside of school, I have a job in school) pretty important for top law schools?

Having substantive work experience is a great addition to an application. A December grad with about 9 months of work experience does fall into a bit of a grey area that doesn't neatly fit into K-JD or not, but the work experience will be a good addition to the application.

KB

TheSenator

Postby TheSenator » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:06 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
manillabay wrote:If I graduate in December and apply during December for the next fall, will I be viewed as a K-JD and will the extra time off, where I will presumably be working, help my application in terms of having work experience? Is this type of work experience (outside of school, I have a job in school) pretty important for top law schools?

Having substantive work experience is a great addition to an application. A December grad with about 9 months of work experience does fall into a bit of a grey area that doesn't neatly fit into K-JD or not, but the work experience will be a good addition to the application.

KB

Does military time count as work experience? Do schools that really stress the importance of having some type of work experience (i.e. Northwestern) consider it as well?

janetdoe

Postby janetdoe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:13 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Here is a look at this cycle to date and a quick stab at things to come.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/a-look ... ons-cycle/

Interesting read as always!

Is anyone else unable to access it? I've been entirely unable to connect to Spiveyconsulting for about a day.

That's not good. Does any message pop up as to why?

May be a bandwidth problem. Check how much bandwidth your server allows. If it is exceeded, your site will not be accessible.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:40 am

TheSenator wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:

KB

Does military time count as work experience? Do schools that really stress the importance of having some type of work experience (i.e. Northwestern) consider it as well?

Yes! Military service absolutely counts as work experience!

SnakySalmon

Postby SnakySalmon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:22 am

janetdoe wrote:May be a bandwidth problem. Check how much bandwidth your server allows. If it is exceeded, your site will not be accessible.

Resolved itself for me after a few days. Still not certain what the deal was.

esperanto

Postby esperanto » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Hello Mike/Karen,

I was waitlisted at Harvard with median GPA and LSAT. I'm K-JD, and applied in early Janauary.
Is there a way to increase my chance of getting in? I think my GPA will improve marginally after this semester,
but I already took LSAT 3 times so I can't improve that part of my application.
Summer internship/work or volunteering experience?

Also, when would be the best time to send LOCI?
I already sent my LOCI a couple of weeks ago since I didn't get a response for almost three months.
I feel like sending another one now without any significant updates would be inappropriate.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:20 pm

^that seems like something for which people would pay...

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:21 pm

lastsamurai wrote:^that seems like something for which people would pay...

+1

manillabay

Postby manillabay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:07 am

I was only fooled for about 2 minutes. Nonetheless, I am quite annoyed by this stunt you have pulled. LSAT is serious emotional business for some and you had some in some serious emotional turmoil.

dd235

Postby dd235 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:42 am

manillabay wrote:I was only fooled for about 2 minutes. Nonetheless, I am quite annoyed by this stunt you have pulled. LSAT is serious emotional business for some and you had some in some serious emotional turmoil.

Take a chill pill man... I thought it was pretty funny. Good job Mike and Karen!

vec93

Postby vec93 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:38 am

Last edited by vec93 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

secondshot

Postby secondshot » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:56 am

manillabay wrote:I was only fooled for about 2 minutes. Nonetheless, I am quite annoyed by this stunt you have pulled. LSAT is serious emotional business for some and you had some in some serious emotional turmoil.

Relax. I thought it was hilarious. Well done. :)

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”