Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:15 pm

You might wont to consider a retake :)

I'd just wait to hear from HLS/SLS. Was the test under accommodations?

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Related to that, if a lack of WE is holding me back, would it make much of a difference if I reapplied in September after graduating only 4/5 months before? By the time law school starts I'd have about 1.5 years of WE after undergrad, but at the time my apps go in it would obviously not be as much.

Would I still be treated like a K-JD?

scoopDeeDoo

Postby scoopDeeDoo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:24 pm

Last edited by scoopDeeDoo on Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjbinks

Postby jjbinks » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Last edited by jjbinks on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Postby haus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:28 pm

koalacity wrote:
haus wrote:Your LSAT number sounds like it is a bit low for the HYS set (no ill will intended as it is better than mine). You appear to still be in plat for H and S which sounds about what I would expect.

Good luck with the remainder of your cycle.

...his 180 is a bit low for the HYS set?

OP, schools seem to be increasingly preferring applicants with WE. If you don't get the outcome you're looking for this cycle, I'd take a couple years off and get WE and then reapply (I mean, I'm an advocate for everyone taking time off anyway).

Sorry, did not see the 2nd score. Joys of being old and reading forums on my phone.

180 is a nice score.

I agree with you that HYS get the pleasure of picking whatever is of importance to them. Being seasoned in one manner or another can likely help a candidate (self serving statement alert, as I am an old geezer who has been around the block a few extra times).

Don't panic, H and S are in play, and that is a good position to be in. If you do not get what you like than you can look at your options then.

Happy hunting,

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:53 pm

jjbinks wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:You might wont to consider a retake :)

I'd just wait to hear from HLS/SLS. Was the test under accommodations?

No it was normal conditions about a year after my first test.

At this stage I would think you are very very much in play for both H and S, and would just wait it out before any grand decisions. Would anything of substance change between this cycle and next -- e.g. work? Certainly LSAT and gpa would not...

jjbinks

Postby jjbinks » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:18 pm

Last edited by jjbinks on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lwschool2014

Postby lwschool2014 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:42 am

So I applied everywhere in early January and have heard back from a few, but am still waiting on the more prestigious schools that I applied to

So far I'm in at Minnesota, washu, and Iowa

I'm waiting on Vanderbilt Georgetown Cornell Virginia ucla and Texas

With the 1st deposit date coming up on April 1st I'm really concerned. Either A) I'll be forced it out deposits down while I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools or B) I'll be forced to choose a law school with almost no time to consider. If I hear back from all 6 before April 1st I'll have almost no time to decide.

Needless to say- I'm freaking the fuck out about this. Should I start asking the 6 that I'm waiting on if they know I still exist?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:44 am

lwschool2014 wrote:So I applied everywhere in early January and have heard back from a few, but am still waiting on the more prestigious schools that I applied to

With the 1st deposit date coming up on April 1st I'm really concerned. Either A) I'll be forced it out deposits down while I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools or B) I'll be forced to choose a law school with almost no time to consider. If I hear back from all 6 before April 1st I'll have almost no time to decide.

Needless to say- I'm freaking the fuck out about this. Should I start asking the 6 that I'm waiting on if they know I still exist?

You could wait until next year, dude.

MegamanX2

Postby MegamanX2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:00 am

So I applied everywhere in early January and have heard back from a few, but am still waiting on the more prestigious schools that I applied to

I'm in a similar situation with different schools. I'm also planning to retake in June to see if I can negotiate up some of the scholarship offers I've received. Long time Spivey troller, first time questioner, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Is it out of line to hold seats at 2+ schools if it says "I intend to attend X Law School" on the seat deposit form?

Thanks!

lwschool2014

Postby lwschool2014 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:01 am

bjsesq wrote:
lwschool2014 wrote:So I applied everywhere in early January and have heard back from a few, but am still waiting on the more prestigious schools that I applied to

That's a really troubling answer. I applied to these schools with the expectation that I would find out if I got in or not. What does waiting a year do? Why shouldn't I get an answer from schools such that I can make a timely and informed selection of law school? How is it reciprocal for them to take 10+ weeks on a decision if I only have 1-2 days to put deposits down? Or worse, forcing me to put deposits down at multiple places

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:07 am

lwschool2014 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

That's a really troubling answer. I applied to these schools with the expectation that I would find out if I got in or not. What does waiting a year do? Why shouldn't I get an answer from schools such that I can make a timely and informed selection of law school? How is it reciprocal for them to take 10+ weeks on a decision if I only have 1-2 days to put deposits down? Or worse, forcing me to put deposits down at multiple places

There is a positive correlation between applying early and getting in. You got in late in the game.

lwschool2014

Postby lwschool2014 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 am

bjsesq wrote:
lwschool2014 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

There is a positive correlation between applying early and getting in. You got in late in the game.

I'm not talking about getting in. I'm talking about hearing back.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 am

lwschool2014 wrote:I'm not talking about getting in. I'm talking about hearing back.

You may never hear back before deposit deadlines. Which sucks. But this is a drawback of late applications. Ultimately, hearing back may still not be indicative of where you could end up if you play your cards earlier in the game. It may not. It's a shitty part of the process.

lwschool2014

Postby lwschool2014 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:17 am

bjsesq wrote:
lwschool2014 wrote:I'm not talking about getting in. I'm talking about hearing back.

You may never hear back before deposit deadlines. Which sucks. But this is a drawback of late applications. Ultimately, hearing back may still not be indicative of where you could end up if you play your cards earlier in the game. It may not. It's a shitty part of the process.

I applied in early January. It's not like I'm sitting on 3/15 completes.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:19 am

lwschool2014 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Well, it seems you have it all figured out. I'll take my advice and go fuck myself.

lwschool2014

Postby lwschool2014 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:22 am

bjsesq wrote:
lwschool2014 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Well, it seems you have it all figured out. I'll take my advice and go fuck myself.

Hey maybe I wasn't looking for you to tell me how hopeless I am for applying in early January, months before schools deadlines. Maybe I was hoping to get advice on how to approach these schools/if I should approach them. Go read my first post and you'll see that.

But yea- what you said works too

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:24 am

lwschool2014 wrote:Hey maybe I wasn't looking for you to tell me how hopeless I am for applying in early January, months before schools deadlines. Maybe I was hoping to get advice on how to approach these schools/if I should approach them. Go read my first post and you'll see that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nobody said you were hopeless, kiddo. I said you may be better served. But yeah, do your thing.

lwschool2014

Postby lwschool2014 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:31 am

bjsesq wrote:
lwschool2014 wrote:Hey maybe I wasn't looking for you to tell me how hopeless I am for applying in early January, months before schools deadlines. Maybe I was hoping to get advice on how to approach these schools/if I should approach them. Go read my first post and you'll see that.

Nobody said you were hopeless, kiddo. I said you may be better served. But yeah, do your thing.

Your FIRST response was to apply next year and you still haven't given me any advice on if I should reach out to schools or not. If anyone would like to give me actual help, please feel free.

neprep

Postby neprep » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:46 am

lwschool2014 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Your FIRST response was to apply next year and you still haven't given me any advice on if I should reach out to schools or not. If anyone would like to give me actual help, please feel free.

Mike and Karen will chime in soon enough, so don't worry about that.

Anyway, what exactly will you say if you reach out to schools? However deceptively you decorate your anger, your message will essentially be "yo what gives I applied in January and still haven't heard and DID YOU KNOW deposit deadlines are coming up?"

They will probably say something generic like "please note that we review files in the order they become complete and cannot expedite review of any application. In order to be fair to all of our applicants - all of whom are eager to get a decision - the only final disposition we can offer you in advance of a full review is a rejection. Thank you for your patience, and for your interest in XX Law School." (Adapted from Asha)

Also if you are as salty in your communication to law schools as you are here, that might be part of the problem.

lwschool2014

Postby lwschool2014 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:04 pm

neprep wrote:
lwschool2014 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Mike and Karen will chime in soon enough, so don't worry about that.

Anyway, what exactly will you say if you reach out to schools? However deceptively you decorate your anger, your message will essentially be "yo what gives I applied in January and still haven't heard and DID YOU KNOW deposit deadlines are coming up?"

They will probably say something generic like "please note that we review files in the order they become complete and cannot expedite review of any application. In order to be fair to all of our applicants - all of whom are eager to get a decision - the only final disposition we can offer you in advance of a full review is a rejection. Thank you for your patience, and for your interest in XX Law School." (Adapted from Asha)

Also if you are as salty in your communication to law schools as you are here, that might be part of the problem.

Thank you. Outside of my app I haven't had any communication with schools. I wrote why essays for them all and am facing the daunting reality of having to put down deposits at potentially 3 schools that I might not even attend. My apologies, but the 1st answer to that problem cannot be "apply next year".

7ofNine

Postby 7ofNine » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:08 pm

lwschool2014 wrote:
Thank you. Outside of my app I haven't had any communication with schools. I wrote why essays for them all and am facing the daunting reality if having to put down deposits at potentially 3 schools that I might not even attend. My apologies, but the 1st answer to that problem cannot be "apply next year".

Why three schools? Of the three you are accepted at pick your top choice. Ask for an extension of the seat deposit deadline at that school, hopefully they will give it to you and you will hear back from the other schools and make a decision before it comes up. If not then pay one seat deposit. You should have at least some idea of your top choices and such by now.

lwschool2014

Postby lwschool2014 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:12 pm

7ofNine wrote:
lwschool2014 wrote:
Thank you. Outside of my app I haven't had any communication with schools. I wrote why essays for them all and am facing the daunting reality if having to put down deposits at potentially 3 schools that I might not even attend. My apologies, but the 1st answer to that problem cannot be "apply next year".

Why three schools? Of the three you are accepted at pick your top choice. Ask for an extension of the seat deposit deadline at that school, hopefully they will give it to you and you will hear back from the other schools and make a decision before it comes up. If not then pay one seat deposit. You should have at least some idea of your top choices and such by now.

Schools do deposit extensions? That's hopeful news.
I suppose I'd do 3 because I haven't yet gotten my final scholarship offer and that would deff impact my choice.

Should I email or call about deposit extensions? Also how close to the deadline should I reach out?

Mrs. O'Hara

Postby Mrs. O'Hara » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Cheers to my first TLS post :!: :!: :!:

As an ED applicant to a T14 (not Michigan), I was not expecting any money. Just imagine the happy dance my neighbors witnessed on my living room after I got a 69k scholarship. I have mediocre numbers and did not cure cancer otherwise I obviously wouldn’t have applied ED. The situation is so ridiculous that if I had posted this on the school thread, people would probably have called me a fake as my scholarship is not so different from the offers RD applicants with better numbers are getting.

I’m just curious as why would a school give money to someone who applied ED? Not that I’m complaining but it just goes against everything I’ve read here on TLS. :roll:

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:46 pm

scoopDeeDoo wrote:
koalacity wrote:
haus wrote:
jjbinks wrote:Did I mess something up in my app? Should I retry next cycle?
Non-URM, male, K-JD, 167 and 180 on retake, >3.9 GPA, no real work experience, strong LoRs (I think), involved in club leadership on campus for all 4 years
Columbia: Butler (but a serious case of hamilton envy)
Yale: rejected in Feb after a little over a month
Harvard: JS1 1/16 and silence since then
Stanford: silence since going complete 11/25

I can't help but feel like I did goofed up on my PS or something.
If I don't get into H or S, I'm tempted to reapply because my numbers are in the hamilton/HYS range do you think it'd be worth it?
I honestly would just feel like an idiot if I couldn't get in with my numbers.

Your LSAT number sounds like it is a bit low for the HYS set (no ill will intended as it is better than mine). You appear to still be in plat for H and S which sounds about what I would expect.

Good luck with the remainder of your cycle.

...his 180 is a bit low for the HYS set?

OP, schools seem to be increasingly preferring applicants with WE. If you don't get the outcome you're looking for this cycle, I'd take a couple years off and get WE and then reapply (I mean, I'm an advocate for everyone taking time off anyway).

Mike,

Do you think this thing about WE is true?

With employment challenges, the deans of more and more schools are asking the admissions office to pay attention to work experience, yes. So even at the top it matters.

I would also note that for Skype/in person interviews, those with WE often are more composed and have more sophisticated answers. Obviously not always, but WE certainly can help with the pressure of an interview. One thing I believe HLS really values in these interviews is a sense of maturity from the candidate.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”