Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:48 pm

juicebox wrote:Hi Mike and Karen - Are applications considered confidential? In other words, if an admissions officer reads a file from an applicant applying from a particular school or company, is s/he entitled to call somebody they may know to ask about the candidate, or even mention it in passing (i.e. I saw Mike applied, his application is great!)? Thanks!

They can (and do) call your recommenders. Other than that, they are pretty much confidential. Indeed, even if a law faculty member not on the admissions committee wants to see your faculty to write YOU a letter of rec it shouldn't be shared. If an applicants misrepresents themselves, and a school finds out, they do share with other schools though.

The day you matriculate you are protected by FERPA and The Buckley Amendment and then it becomes highly confidential.

juicebox

Postby juicebox » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:58 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
juicebox wrote:Hi Mike and Karen - Are applications considered confidential? In other words, if an admissions officer reads a file from an applicant applying from a particular school or company, is s/he entitled to call somebody they may know to ask about the candidate, or even mention it in passing (i.e. I saw Mike applied, his application is great!)? Thanks!

They can (and do) call your recommenders. Other than that, they are pretty much confidential. Indeed, even if a law faculty member not on the admissions committee wants to see your faculty to write YOU a letter of rec it shouldn't be shared. If an applicants misrepresents themselves, and a school finds out, they do share with other schools though.

The day you matriculate you are protected by FERPA and The Buckley Amendment and then it becomes highly confidential.

Thanks! Don't worry, not misrepresenting myself :) I just work in an environment where we interact with school administrators quite frequently and I wanted to be sure that an adcomm doesn't tell my employer before I do.

Quest4Knowledge

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:45 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Legal Education is BACK in a big way.

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... ministered

What do you think the implications of this are, if any? (I would love to read a Spivey blog post on the issue)

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:28 am

Quest4Knowledge wrote:

What do you think the implications of this are, if any? (I would love to read a Spivey blog post on the issue)

Unprecedented extension of deadlines to accommodate feb takers--> TINY rise in feb takers

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:44 am

nothingtosee wrote:
Quest4Knowledge wrote:

Unprecedented extension of deadlines to accommodate feb takers--> TINY rise in feb takers

I'd love to do another "best questions' blog but with such a small percentage change (I think it was like +213 test-takers spread across however many test centers this is: http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/testing-locations) to point a finger in any direction would be a bit tough.

It could be the extensions of application deadlines and major law schools, it could be the upward trend to retake, it could be the fact that Harvard Law now lets Harvard juniors apply with an LSAT score, or it could simply be within the standard deviation for any given test day for people to show up versus wimp out.

I will say that it has me more curious about what happens in June.

Sorry I can't be of more help here, thanks for the suggestion!

Mike

Quest4Knowledge

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:17 am

MikeSpivey wrote:It could be the extensions of application deadlines and major law schools, it could be the upward trend to retake, it could be the fact that Harvard Law now lets Harvard juniors apply with an LSAT score, or it could simply be within the standard deviation for any given test day for people to show up versus wimp out.

Thanks! It makes sense, I didn't realize how small that percentage increase translated to absolute test takers.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:57 am

Hey Mike and Karen thank you so much for doing this!

You mentioned before that reapplying is OK if you have a compelling family or personal reason. What if that reason is simply you cannot take out so much debt and want to retake the LSAT one more time for more money? I am on a waitlist at my dream school and I've told them that they are my top choice. But if I get in at sticker, I don't feel comfortable going. I have tried to communicate this over my LOCIs but I am worried that if they accept me and I withdraw and later reapply, they'll see me as unsure and reject me the next time.

My prelaw adviser also tells me to go if I get in, because he feels like I won't get a second chance. I like my adviser, but all the advice they have given me (don't retake the LSAT, go at sticker, improving numbers doesn't change much, take risks) directly contradicts all the advice on this website. I'm really confused.

Thanks!

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:08 am

or, perhaps, hundreds/(thousands?) taking Spivey's advice to heart: Feb is a free retake. Use a better score to get off a WL, and/or more money from some place else. :)

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Question about sending an LOCI (would love Karen's opinion especially):

I am waitlisted at a school's MBA program, and still have not heard from the law school (complete since last October). I am a strong candidate for each, though I think getting into either one and being able to inform the other would help move the needle (a mini-domino effect, if you will) for me.

If that is the only update I have for the law school (that I made it to the waitpool for the business school), is that worth notifying a law school about? To Karen - for example, did anyone being accepted by HBS and telling HLS about it ever help them at all? (Disclaimer: the school in question for me is NOT HLS)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:53 am

Hey everyone:

If you have any pressing questions about the USNWR rankings here is your chance to ask us. I can't claim to know close to all of the answers but Scott might!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/podcas ... -rankings/

Hope to see some familiar names!

Mike

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Do schools generally look favorably, negatively, or indifferently upon reapplying after not being accepted the previous cycle, and would something like a slight GPA drop matter if the applicant was still above the GPA 75th?

Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:49 pm

drawstring wrote:Do schools generally look favorably, negatively, or indifferently upon reapplying after not being accepted the previous cycle, and would something like a slight GPA drop matter if the applicant was still above the GPA 75th?

Thanks!

I personally looked favorably upon it --it showed commitment and interest. Much more depends on the applicant pool in each given year, but it was a feather on the scale positively for me.

In respect to #2, as long as still above 75th (schools 75ths change too) not likely.

theletterj

Postby theletterj » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Are you still planning on writing a blog about unranked wait list? I think you mentioned something about it before.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:55 pm

theletterj wrote:Are you still planning on writing a blog about unranked wait list? I think you mentioned something about it before.

Yep. This was a crazy week, to state it mildly. I am though thanks for reminding me!

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:55 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
theletterj wrote:Are you still planning on writing a blog about unranked wait list? I think you mentioned something about it before.

Yep. This was a crazy week, to state it mildly. I am though thanks for reminding me!

Awesome, looking forward to it!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Speaking of rankings, if someone could either tell me how to upload an Mp3 to wordpress, OR, would be kind enough to host the link for us, I have about a 50 minute podcsst where Professor Scott Moss and I discuss the USNWR rankings and various implications from it.

If you can do either, thanks you are awesome!

Mike

Edit --it seems to far exceed upload space for wordpress, so some benevolent person will need to link it for us.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:56 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Speaking of rankings, if someone could either tell me how to upload an Mp3 to wordpress, OR, would be kind enough to host the link for us, I have about a 50 minute podcsst where Professor Scott Moss and I discuss the USNWR rankings and various implications from it.

If you can do either, thanks you are awesome!

Mike

Edit --it seems to far exceed upload space for wordpress, so some benevolent person will need to link it for us.

I recommend soundcloud. Last I checked the accounts were free, and it might be the easiest way to upload mp3 files.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks all! I got a number of PMs, will try to upload on soundcloud today.

I'll let you all know once it is up. Then I'll write the blog on non-rankings (waist list), then I'll try to get to some PMs I owe people. Please note this podcast is rather dorky. Okay very dorky.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:05 am

It worded! Edit. Also it worked!

Podcast on 2015 USNWR rankings. Amazingly, this is only the second geekiest podcast I have ever done.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/podcas ... -rankings/
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:08 am

It worded indeed.

Query: we all know that this year's US News and World Report rankings of law schools CHANGED EVERYTHING. In 10 words or less, describe how aspiring law students should navigate this new hellscape.

haus

Postby haus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:57 am

bjsesq wrote:Query: we all know that this year's US News and World Report rankings of law schools CHANGED EVERYTHING. In 10 words or less, describe how aspiring law students should navigate this new hellscape.

To be fair, I think a topic of this magnitude may require up to 13 words to be addressed throughly.

jjbinks

Postby jjbinks » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:26 pm

Last edited by jjbinks on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Postby haus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:02 pm

jjbinks wrote:Did I mess something up in my app? Should I retry next cycle?
Non-URM, male, K-JD, 167 and 180 on retake, >3.9 GPA, no real work experience, strong LoRs (I think), involved in club leadership on campus for all 4 years
Columbia: Butler (but a serious case of hamilton envy)
Yale: rejected in Feb after a little over a month
Harvard: JS1 1/16 and silence since then
Stanford: silence since going complete 11/25

I can't help but feel like I did goofed up on my PS or something.
If I don't get into H or S, I'm tempted to reapply because my numbers are in the hamilton/HYS range do you think it'd be worth it?
I honestly would just feel like an idiot if I couldn't get in with my numbers.

Your LSAT number sounds like it is a bit low for the HYS set (no ill will intended as it is better than mine). You appear to still be in plat for H and S which sounds about what I would expect.

Good luck with the remainder of your cycle.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Ya, that 180 is a bit low.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:14 pm

haus wrote:
jjbinks wrote:Did I mess something up in my app? Should I retry next cycle?
Non-URM, male, K-JD, 167 and 180 on retake, >3.9 GPA, no real work experience, strong LoRs (I think), involved in club leadership on campus for all 4 years
Columbia: Butler (but a serious case of hamilton envy)
Yale: rejected in Feb after a little over a month
Harvard: JS1 1/16 and silence since then
Stanford: silence since going complete 11/25

I can't help but feel like I did goofed up on my PS or something.
If I don't get into H or S, I'm tempted to reapply because my numbers are in the hamilton/HYS range do you think it'd be worth it?
I honestly would just feel like an idiot if I couldn't get in with my numbers.

Your LSAT number sounds like it is a bit low for the HYS set (no ill will intended as it is better than mine). You appear to still be in plat for H and S which sounds about what I would expect.

Good luck with the remainder of your cycle.

...his 180 is a bit low for the HYS set?

OP, schools seem to be increasingly preferring applicants with WE. If you don't get the outcome you're looking for this cycle, I'd take a couple years off and get WE and then reapply (I mean, I'm an advocate for everyone taking time off anyway).

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”