Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
0
No votes
2. Podcast advice
0
No votes
3. Video advice
0
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
0
No votes
5. Tweet it
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 0

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby neprep » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:16 am

Mike or Karen:

When I want to get in touch with schools regarding any topic, say negotiating scholarships or make an inquiry about housing, is it okay if I just send that email to the general admissions@lawschool.edu address and assume they'll pass it on the the relevant point person for those kinds of requests?

Many thanks! :)

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:23 pm

SnakySalmon wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:To someone who recently read through this thread:

Have I done a post on "What does it mean when a law school says 'We do not rank the wait list'"?

Thanks!


If you have, it was after you made up that PDF of answers. I'd seen Yale say that and assumed it meant that people were sometimes grabbed for diversity reasons, which makes ranking it hard. Also, that they don't feel compelled to tell people where they stand whenever they call.


After I get caught up after two weeks of much travel I'll blog about it, likely this weekend. I'll put it under "greats questions" in my blog lol.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 pm

neprep wrote:Mike or Karen:

When I want to get in touch with schools regarding any topic, say negotiating scholarships or make an inquiry about housing, is it okay if I just send that email to the general admissions@lawschool.edu address and assume they'll pass it on the the relevant point person for those kinds of requests?

Many thanks! :)


It's topic dependent. Housing yes, scholarship I would always go to the top.

Err, edit. Top of the admissions office directly that is. Not the dean of the law school.

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby neprep » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:26 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
neprep wrote:Mike or Karen:

When I want to get in touch with schools regarding any topic, say negotiating scholarships or make an inquiry about housing, is it okay if I just send that email to the general admissions@lawschool.edu address and assume they'll pass it on the the relevant point person for those kinds of requests?

Many thanks! :)


It's topic dependent. Housing yes, scholarship I would always go to the top.

Err, edit. Top of the admissions office directly that is. Not the dean of the law school.


Damn, and I was going to send my request straight to Drew Faust. :)

smartypants2014
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby smartypants2014 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:12 pm

Would like to ask about negotiating scholarships with a T10 school. School is clearly "top choice my heart is set on this law school" and heartbroken with the low amount of scholarship offered, about 1/3 what t14 school is offering. Have read so many differing opinions on whether to contact the school asap and ask if they might meet or by some miracle exceed the other offers or try to wait as close as possible to seat deposit deadline and risk all the negotiable funds being gone? Also do you recommend communicating back with the assistant admissions dean who interviewed and sent acceptance letter or go to the dean of admissions?

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Speaking of contests...come race me!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/run-wi ... ave-money/

pinkfireworks24
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby pinkfireworks24 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:30 pm

I applied early January right after getting my LSAT score and have noticed that for some of the law schools, my status is still "application complete" and hasn't yet been reviewed by the admissions committee. Being that one of the law schools states that all decisions rendered after April 1st will be rejection or wait list ones, and its March 6th and they haven't even reviewed my file yet, I am worried. Is there anything I can/should do?

Thanks!

User avatar
KarenButtenbaum
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:38 pm

pinkfireworks24 wrote:I applied early January right after getting my LSAT score and have noticed that for some of the law schools, my status is still "application complete" and hasn't yet been reviewed by the admissions committee. Being that one of the law schools states that all decisions rendered after April 1st will be rejection or wait list ones, and its March 6th and they haven't even reviewed my file yet, I am worried. Is there anything I can/should do?

Thanks!


Not all schools use the status checker/update the same way, so it is entirely possible that they have reviewed your application without updating the status as part of the normal way of doing things.

If you do feel like things are moving too slow as compared to others who applied around the same time, you can always call and ask if that is normal, but chances are that all is well and you just have to be a little patient.

User avatar
Sgt Brody.
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby Sgt Brody. » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:36 pm

Hey Mike and Karen,

Can we apply ed to UCLA, that is binding, and also apply ed to arizona state and university of arizona that is not binding. So, I know that I can only apply ed to one school, but how about a binding ed to only one school, and a non binding ed to two schools? Will UCLA immedietly find out through lsac that I have applied a non binding ed to two schools, and will that hurt my chances of admission? Thank for so much for your help, and I really appreciate your help here.

User avatar
SnakySalmon
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby SnakySalmon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:21 am

Random fun question: If you gave someone ten billion dollars and told them they had a decade to create a law school that would crush YHS in the rankings, could they, or is age and the attached undergrad important enough that they would have an advantage despite your much larger endowment?

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby HorseThief » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:52 am

SnakySalmon wrote:Random fun question: If you gave someone ten billion dollars and told them they had a decade to create a law school that would crush YHS in the rankings, could they, or is age and the attached undergrad important enough that they would have an advantage despite your much larger endowment?

+1

I like the way you think

arivtal
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby arivtal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:34 am

Hi Mike,

Does Vanderbilt negotiate merit-aid? Is there a ceiling? What would usually sway them to give applicants more money?

Thank you!

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:55 am

arivtal wrote:Hi Mike,

Does Vanderbilt negotiate merit-aid? Is there a ceiling? What would usually sway them to give applicants more money?

Thank you!



I really can't talk or speculate about any one particular school -- sorry about that its part of the rules Karen and I gave ourselves.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:48 am

HorseThief wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:Random fun question: If you gave someone ten billion dollars and told them they had a decade to create a law school that would crush YHS in the rankings, could they, or is age and the attached undergrad important enough that they would have an advantage despite your much larger endowment?

+1

I like the way you think


They couldn't, not IMO. Good question, I'm going to ask a few law schools deans that next time I see them.

User avatar
thevuch
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby thevuch » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:58 am

if ive been waitlisted, and i want to submit an optional why X essay (that wasnt asked for on the app, and a resume, that also wasnt asked for on the app) should i just attach them to an email and send them to the basic email of the admssions? or perhaps snail mail? and how do you think i should phrase the email? something like - please add these to my file or something along the lines of ive been waitlisted, want to express further interest so heres this thanks....and LOCIs, snail mail or email? typed then signed? handwritten?

AJB
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby AJB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:27 pm

So I've heard absolutely no movement from UCLA, and I submitted in Mid/Early January. I am an East Coaster, which I feel puts me at a disadvantage with WC schools. I want to let UCLA know that if accepted, I would definitely consider attending, and simultaneously kind of get some movement out of them. Should I submit a LOCI, or would doing so just annoy them? I submitted an updated resume in early February because I got a new, serious job which I thought would help my app.

User avatar
KarenButtenbaum
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:13 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:Random fun question: If you gave someone ten billion dollars and told them they had a decade to create a law school that would crush YHS in the rankings, could they, or is age and the attached undergrad important enough that they would have an advantage despite your much larger endowment?

+1

I like the way you think


They couldn't, not IMO. Good question, I'm going to ask a few law schools deans that next time I see them.


Princeton Law School!! it's the only way, I think

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:18 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:Random fun question: If you gave someone ten billion dollars and told them they had a decade to create a law school that would crush YHS in the rankings, could they, or is age and the attached undergrad important enough that they would have an advantage despite your much larger endowment?

+1

I like the way you think


They couldn't, not IMO. Good question, I'm going to ask a few law schools deans that next time I see them.


Princeton Law School!! it's the only way, I think


They also have an 18.2 Bil endowment so they actually COULD do it. Princeton's not making a law school, though.

I already emailed this question to some people higher on the food chain than I have ever been. 10 billion would buy entering classes, hugely prominent faculty etc. But 50% of the rankings are a beauty show based on a vote.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby nothingtosee » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:35 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
They also have an 18.2 Bil endowment so they actually COULD do it. Princeton's not making a law school, though.

I already emailed this question to some people higher on the food chain than I have ever been. 10 billion would buy entering classes, hugely prominent faculty etc. But 50% of the rankings are a beauty show based on a vote.


Spend 20 mil flying out the voters, wining, dining, and offering research grants?

User avatar
esrom55
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby esrom55 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:59 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
They also have an 18.2 Bil endowment so they actually COULD do it. Princeton's not making a law school, though.

I already emailed this question to some people higher on the food chain than I have ever been. 10 billion would buy entering classes, hugely prominent faculty etc. But 50% of the rankings are a beauty show based on a vote.


Spend 20 mil flying out the voters, wining, dining, and offering "research grants"?


Are you saying "Research Grant" would be a great name for a moderately sized sailboat?

User avatar
Sgt Brody.
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby Sgt Brody. » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Hey Mike and Karen,

Can we apply ed to UCLA, that is binding, and also apply ed to arizona state and university of arizona that is not binding. So, I know that I can only apply ed to one school, but how about a binding ed to only one school, and a non binding ed to two schools? Will UCLA immedietly find out through lsac that I have applied a non binding ed to two schools, and will that hurt my chances of admission? Thank for so much for your help, and I really appreciate your help here.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby Big Dog » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:48 pm

^^even if you could apply ED to UCLA or AZ, you should NOT do it.

arivtal
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby arivtal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:56 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
arivtal wrote:Hi Mike,

Does Vanderbilt negotiate merit-aid? Is there a ceiling? What would usually sway them to give applicants more money?

Thank you!



I really can't talk or speculate about any one particular school -- sorry about that its part of the rules Karen and I gave ourselves.


I understand. Thanks, anyway!

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby The-Specs » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:33 pm

MikeSpivey wrote: Princeton's not making a law school, though.


I've always wondered about this, why won't they? Is there any reason besides not wanting to start behind the eightball (and maybe the ethical issue of the oversaturated job market)?

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby HorseThief » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:39 pm

The-Specs wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote: Princeton's not making a law school, though.


I've always wondered about this, why won't they? Is there any reason besides not wanting to start behind the eightball (and maybe the ethical issue of the oversaturated job market)?


It must be more preftigious not to have a law school.

Princeton: Ugh, just look at Yale and Harvard with their law schools. How prole.


Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests