Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

John_rizzy_rawls

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officer

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks Mike!
Last edited by John_rizzy_rawls on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:02 pm

I've had to go into WITSEC because of the Above the Law and USNWR fervor but should be back and answering as many of these as I can in the next few days. Sorry for the delay!

kdog1147

Postby kdog1147 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:57 pm

So being in the waitlist process currently I have a couple of questions about it (sorry if there are any repeat questions)

1. In what order do admissions committee review applicants on the waitlist? Is it done by delving into the applicant pool that is just slightly below median GPA and LSAT or do they first look at the mixers high GPA/low LSAT and high LSAT/low GPA?

2. Is there any way to determine someone's chances on the WL?

3. What extra documentation that is asked for (Resume, LOR, undergraduate/graduate academic information etc.) is the strongest?

Also thank you for taking time out to do this!

lyra4

Postby lyra4 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:45 am

And, the LOCI apparently worked- I am admitted! Wow. :D :D :D Mike, thanks again for the help on deciding to send that in!!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:22 pm

lyra4 wrote:And, the LOCI apparently worked- I am admitted! Wow. :D :D :D Mike, thanks again for the help on deciding to send that in!!

I'm PM you my billing address :) in all seriousness Congrats!!!

bizchick05

Postby bizchick05 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:20 pm

So, I'm waiting to see if I got admitted but didn't get the score I wanted. In fact, it's even below their 25% mark :(

When I pulled the stats on LSAC, it showed my school admitting a couple of students with my GPA and a lower LSAT score than me.

How is that possible? Does a personal statement have that much pull on your application?

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:34 pm

Hey MoneyMike,

A few questions:

When negotiating scholarships, a few schools have been super helpful and responsive to my requests. However, a few have not even acknowledged receiving my initial email. What do I do/What does this mean.

To follow, I sent a LOCI to a specific school and have not received an acknowledgement that they have it. What do I do/What does this mean?

Both types of requests were sent late last week/beginning of this week.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:19 pm

kdog1147 wrote:So being in the waitlist process currently I have a couple of questions about it (sorry if there are any repeat questions)

1. In what order do admissions committee review applicants on the waitlist? Is it done by delving into the applicant pool that is just slightly below median GPA and LSAT or do they first look at the mixers high GPA/low LSAT and high LSAT/low GPA?

3. What extra documentation that is asked for (Resume, LOR, undergraduate/graduate academic information etc.) is the strongest?

Quick answers (I don't mean to sound terse, just very busy!)

1. Generally they look at them based on running frequent reports on need. So they may need LSAT and would look at WL'd applicants with high LSAT or perhaps uGPA, URM, geographic diversity, etc. if you stay in touch you might be able to help your spot in the queue.

2. Perhaps law school numbers might be able to help you reverse-engineer what I mentioned in #1, i.e. what that school might need?

3. Prob academic info, then LOR. I think they are likely just being nice to ask for a new resume. Not sure how this would really come into play much on admission decisions.

matrim

Postby matrim » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Hey, thanks for doing this! Quick question: If you have been accepted to your big reach school, and you are below both 25th percents, is there anyway to get them to give you money? Will waiting make them more willing as deadlines arrive? Or no way possible?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 pm

matrim wrote:Hey, thanks for doing this! Quick question: If you have been accepted to your big reach school, and you are below both 25th percents, is there anyway to get them to give you money? Will waiting make them more willing as deadlines arrive? Or no way possible?

The most patient negotiators are billionaires. They wait as long as it takes for trivial sums of money to them. So the long haul strategy seems to work best for people who do it at the highest level.

Also, keep in mind that over time schools are getting money back as people withdraw their applications. So yes, you certainly may get some money. They admitted you for a reason!

matrim

Postby matrim » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:33 pm

Thank you for your response!

kdog1147

Postby kdog1147 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:27 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
kdog1147 wrote:So being in the waitlist process currently I have a couple of questions about it (sorry if there are any repeat questions)

Quick answers (I don't mean to sound terse, just very busy!)

1. Generally they look at them based on running frequent reports on need. So they may need LSAT and would look at WL'd applicants with high LSAT or perhaps uGPA, URM, geographic diversity, etc. if you stay in touch you might be able to help your spot in the queue.

2. Perhaps law school numbers might be able to help you reverse-engineer what I mentioned in #1, i.e. what that school might need?

3. Prob academic info, then LOR. I think they are likely just being nice to ask for a new resume. Not sure how this would really come into play much on admission decisions.

Thanks for answering my questions! I have 1 follow up question. Would it be worthwhile to send my graduate transcripts which now have my first semester grades which are better than my undergraduate grades or since it has no bearing on my uGPA, which is set in stone, is it worth it? Thanks for doing this again!
Last edited by kdog1147 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzifpAlVM0 Any comment on this video, Dean?

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:26 am

Wormfather wrote:
jas1503 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzifpAlVM0 Any comment on this video, Dean?

Not cool bro.

What? It's a random funny video that mentions him. No malice intended.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:16 am

jas1503 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
jas1503 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzifpAlVM0 Any comment on this video, Dean?

Not cool bro.

What? It's a random funny video that mentions him. No malice intended.

LOl, well I'm not going to comment on a school I used to work for other to say that now that I am not flying around the world meeting with law firms on behalf of students I get to run every day so I don't look bloated in a grey suit :)

No malice taken, of course. I think it's funny. People might need to get that it's been well over two years since I was at Wash U. Here is thier most recent update:

http://top-law-schools.com/washington-u ... chool.html

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:32 am

Rizzy,

For sure this should help. Definitely utilize this resource and keep in mind that others do all the time. In a sense, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. If possible, have him write AND call. You'd be crazy not to.

I finally figured out why you don;t want me to quote it :)

Mike

RacingCar

Postby RacingCar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:44 am

Hello Mike!
First thanks for this thread, I'm a new member here but I was lurking at this thread a long time. :lol:
Anyways my question is about distance education.
I'm completing my bachelor of science in business online. The school is regionally accredited but a for-profit institution ( it also has a campus). I heard that it is difficult to get accepted by top law schools from a for-profit college. Is this true?
If yes, how come? Should I transfer to a non-profit one?

Thanks in advance :) - Carl

Postby 5965 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi Mike,

I read your reply to a post about "getting money from reach schools" that accepted you. And could you please elaborate what you mean by "patiently waiting"? Are you referring to need-based scholarship? Thanks in advance!:)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Just to reiterate, I really wish I had time to answer all of my Pm's but right now but sadly can not as I have so many pots on the burner work-wise. Apologies, because I appreciate the trust people put in me and the privacy that some entrust in me.

If the PM is about a deferral at a specific school my advice is always going to be to talk to that school about it. They won't be offended by the inquiry and I can not speak for them.

If it is about "what are my admissions chances" that is generally hard to say, too. I would add look to THIS years numbers on Law School Numbers and I would caution heavily again a deep historic look. Since 2004 the number of law-school applicants has dropped from almost 100,000 to 54,000, so the data from even a few years ago will very imprecise at most schools.

If the PM is "dude did you see the video with you in it" I did, thanks to this thread and think it is pretty funny. The best one of these I have ever seen is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngKKnmDFbug

which pokes fun at a school I know well and think highly of.

mbomb16

Postby mbomb16 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Mike,
What are your thoughts on non-traditionals?
I'm 9 years out of undergrad (2.98 gpa, history) with some masters work under my belt.
I have a good upward grade trend, with honors from some semesters.
My biggest soft factor, however, is that I've worked as a legal secretary and paralegal for 5 years. I also have insurance industry and HR experience.
I've had very positive responses from bottom 2nd tier and 3rd tier schools, all with scholarship offers, but I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice... A school known for their low acceptance rate and taking their time with applications. I'm slightly below their 25% LSAT but have talked with admissions officers and visited the school, who were encouraging without making any promises.
I've noted on the thread that LOCI probably won't hurt prior to a decision, but I'm still hesitant. This is far and away my top pick and I want them to know that without being annoying!
So, in addition to your thoughts on my non-traditional status, what are your recommendations for how I should handle following up with them? Leave it be or contact them?
Thanks so much!!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 pm

All,

Sorry to have been away for a bit --I have been absolutely slammed (in a good way!) with client work. I have a few breaks in the schedule tonight, tomorrow and Friday and will try to answer some questions already posted above.

I also just added a blog article rating some of the best (and worst) law schools websites:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/by-pop ... -websites/

Tonight or tomorrow I am going to start a blog top 10 countdown of the mistakes law applicants in this cycle are making. I'll announce this by twitter with links:

https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult

And again, will start tackling some of these questions very soon!

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:33 pm

Wow I'm really curious about the top ten mistakes. Although I got into my #1 choice on Monday. Yay!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:38 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote: Although I got into my #1 choice on Monday. Yay!

Congrats, that is awesome! You should change your screen name.

(also you can still make the #1 mistake so stay tuned!)

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:54 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Can you please say why?

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:57 pm

talesofyore wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Can you please say why?

definitely scholarship related ;)

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”