Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

in the process

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby in the process » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:28 am

Hi Mike/Karen,

I've read through every post on this thread and am better for it, so thanks.
I have a resume question; I took part in a Public Speaking Course (Dale Carnegie Skills For Success), which was comprised of a variety of people, mostly older business professionals.

Every week (for 3 months) we were tasked with giving a speech on a different topic. At the end of the course there was a vote (by all instructors and participants) to determine the recipient of the "Best Public Speaker" award. I had the good fortune of being chosen.

Is this something worth putting on a resume? I understand that it's nothing special, I'm only asking because I figured that Public Speaking would be something that a LS may value.

And if it matters, I ended up using this course (I found out afterwards that it was accredited) to fulfill my PS requirement for my degree. Not sure if that diminishes it's value.

Thanks in advance!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:29 pm

in the process wrote:Hi Mike/Karen,

I've read through every post on this thread and am better for it, so thanks.
I have a resume question; I took part in a Public Speaking Course (Dale Carnegie Skills For Success), which was comprised of a variety of people, mostly older business professionals.

Every week (for 3 months) we were tasked with giving a speech on a different topic. At the end of the course there was a vote (by all instructors and participants) to determine the recipient of the "Best Public Speaker" award. I had the good fortune of being chosen.

Is this something worth putting on a resume? I understand that it's nothing special, I'm only asking because I figured that Public Speaking would be something that a LS may value.

And if it matters, I ended up using this course (I found out afterwards that it was accredited) to fulfill my PS requirement for my degree. Not sure if that diminishes it's value.

Thanks in advance!

Absolutely! Put it on the resume. It is an award, and not too shabby, either.

in the process

Postby in the process » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks Karen!!

kemosabe

Postby kemosabe » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

Hi Mike and Karen,

Do you know if the bandwith data for the December LSAT has been released? If I recall correctly, after the October test this data indicated how many people scored in various score ranges. I haven't seen anything on Twitter, but I'm not sure if this is because I missed it or because it isn't out yet.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:55 am

kemosabe wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,

Do you know if the bandwith data for the December LSAT has been released? If I recall correctly, after the October test this data indicated how many people scored in various score ranges. I haven't seen anything on Twitter, but I'm not sure if this is because I missed it or because it isn't out yet.

Nice avatar!

I'm 99.8 % sure I tweeted that in January FYI. I still have the data but hesitant to blog it -- I want to ensure I keep getting said data.
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kemosabe

Postby kemosabe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:33 am

Ha thanks I love that movie. I will check out your old tweets in that case. Thanks for all of your contributions ITT!

dcpanther

Postby dcpanther » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by dcpanther on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Hey Mike/Karen,

Was directed to ask questions and get feedback here re: Transferring. Background: Top 2% at T60(ish) with full-tuition scholly. Trying to do BigLaw litigation/fed clerkship and trying to starting weighing options on transferring. As it stands, I would end up taking out $120k worth of loans (luckily I have zero loans right now) to transfer to a higher ranked school. I'm trying to weigh pros/cons and whether it is worth $120,000 in loans to transfer. I'm only really looking at HYSCCN (Columbia and NYU being the two most likely options) and was told you two could give some good feedback!

haus

Postby haus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:54 pm

KD35 wrote:Hey Mike/Karen,

Was directed to ask questions and get feedback here re: Transferring. Background: Top 2% at T60(ish) with full-tuition scholly. Trying to do BigLaw litigation/fed clerkship and trying to starting weighing options on transferring. As it stands, I would end up taking out $120k worth of loans (luckily I have zero loans right now) to transfer to a higher ranked school. I'm trying to weigh pros/cons and whether it is worth $120,000 in loans to transfer. I'm only really looking at HYSCCN (Columbia and NYU being the two most likely options) and was told you two could give some good feedback!

KD35,

Congrats on your success so far!

You may want to look at a blog posting on this from Spivey's site (much easier to find now that Google is playing nicely once again).

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/mistake-2-shangri-law/

Good Luck,

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:54 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:"Blame" lol

Lol that's what I thought reading the previous post

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:19 am

Happy birthday, bossman.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:19 am

Happy birthday, bossman.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 am

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:53 am

jenesaislaw wrote:Happy birthday, bossman.

Thanks! I'm old.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:13 am

sublime wrote:
haus wrote:
KD35 wrote:Hey Mike/Karen,

KD35,

Congrats on your success so far!

You may want to look at a blog posting on this from Spivey's site (much easier to find now that Google is playing nicely once again).

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/mistake-2-shangri-law/

Good Luck,

Hey Mike, hope all is going well.

I read the linked blog, and if you had to guess, what is the "cutoff" for Harvard at WashU? Your blog mentions top 10% but I have heard rumors that you need to be inside the top 5%. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Also, happy birthday! Def take the time to enjoy it!

There isn't really a hard cutoff -- in recent years past I think top 10% has done it for some, maybe even slightly out of top 10%. There is a good number of things you can control as a transfer applicant that go beyond class rank.

Pau.C.

Postby Pau.C. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HouseTargaryen

Postby HouseTargaryen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi!

First off, thanks for taking questions! My apologies if this has been answered ITT... I am yet to find an answer on TLS so I thought I'd give it a shot.

My question is on reapplying after being admitted. Let's say I'm admitted to Law School XYZ this cycle. I decide mid-cycle that I want to get my master's degree in computer science prior to law school. I don't defer because 1) I know it will take longer than 1 year to complete the master's, and 2) I think the master's might land me in a better school / more money (important to note that this is NOT the primary reason for doing the ms).

All other things equal, does withdrawing and reapplying hurt my chances at getting in to XYZ next time around?

The story when I reapply would be: I knew all along that I want to do both degrees. However, I decided that getting the technical skill set first would make my time in law school more meaningful. (end goal = law and technology)

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Pau.C. wrote:I just want to say thanks for all the great info in this thread. Its been a great read. I have a question. It may be dumb... but here it goes.

If I plan to re-apply next cycle... what is it that AdComms want to see in a new application other than just (probably) a higher LSAT score?

In other words, what can I do from now until next Sept/Oct/Nov to make my application better, other than a retake?

Thanks!

This is relevant to my interests.

HouseTargaryen wrote:Hi!

First off, thanks for taking questions! My apologies if this has been answered ITT... I am yet to find an answer on TLS so I thought I'd give it a shot.

My question is on reapplying after being admitted. Let's say I'm admitted to Law School XYZ this cycle. I decide mid-cycle that I want to get my master's degree in computer science prior to law school. I don't defer because 1) I know it will take longer than 1 year to complete the master's, and 2) I think the master's might land me in a better school / more money (important to note that this is NOT the primary reason for doing the ms).

All other things equal, does withdrawing and reapplying hurt my chances at getting in to XYZ next time around?

The story when I reapply would be: I knew all along that I want to do both degrees. However, I decided that getting the technical skill set first would make my time in law school more meaningful. (end goal = law and technology)

As is this.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:42 pm

Hey folks. I'm currently driving across much of our great nation, in Salina Kansas for the night. (In the absurdly off chance anyone on here is in Salina/goes to Kansas Wesleyan PM me we can get coffee and talk shop). So I'll be a bit slower in responses until off the road.

But I did want to add that SMU came through. I'll be speaking there 5-6pm next Monday. No room assignment yet and I doubt the turnout will be big given the late announcement but please if you are at SMU come on out. I'll dump a ton of
admissions secrets to whoever is there.

Back on this by the weekend.

Mike

Quest4Knowledge

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:53 pm

Pau.C. wrote:I just want to say thanks for all the great info in this thread. Its been a great read. I have a question. It may be dumb... but here it goes.

If I plan to re-apply next cycle... what is it that AdComms want to see in a new application other than just (probably) a higher LSAT score?

In other words, what can I do from now until next Sept/Oct/Nov to make my application better, other than a retake?

Thanks!

I'd appreciate this as well.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:38 pm

If you are planning to reapply next cycle, there are some things that you can do. Of course, retaking the LSAT is the ideal way to improve your application, but there are a few other ways.
The admissions committees are often (not always) looking for something new in the application. Some schools even require new materials - I would most likely suggest a new personal statement and resume, but a new letter of rec would also be helpful (and required in some cases too).
If you are still in school, getting some work experience in the next several months may be a good way to change your application for the better.
And if you are still in school, work very hard for a strong finish this year!
Or maybe starting to do something that you've been putting off for a while (this may not necessarily be of value to the adcomm, but it may trigger new personal statement material, for example)

And apply early in the cycle next year. Who knows what apps will look like next year, but I think an early application is advantageous (schools may be eager to fill the class if apps are looking down again!)

And to reapply after you've been admitted: It is all about how you withdraw, and how you explain when you reapply. Be gracious and honest about your prior uncertainty about which direction and your recent clarity on your detour from law school. Apologize for the inconvenience, and mention that you may be reapplying in the future (if they offer an extended deferral, politely decline because you are uncertain and want to be fair about them holding a spot for you).
If you reapply to the same school in the future, you should certainly reinforce that this time you are ready and are committed to attending law school this time

Hope that is helpful!

Cheers,
Karen

gottago

Postby gottago » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:15 pm

Last edited by gottago on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cshadow

Postby cshadow » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Regarding addenda, My GPA was affected by a sick family member who later died while in college, leading me to take a semester off. Should this be included, or would this be looked at more as an "excuse"?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:50 pm

gottago wrote:my T14 allows undergrads to take courses there. I was enrolled in one this semester, my senior spring. However, I may need to get a W in the class. I've already been admitted to one or more of HYS. will a W in a law school class (a 1L course) make the admissions committee reconsider or rescind my admissions?

I don't really speak in absolutes but that said, "no...I am 99.99 (repeating) percent sure this would never happen" You are fine.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:44 pm

On a note related to some questions above, if I reapply will adcoms look back to aspects of my file (e.g. responses to interview questions) from the previous year?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”