Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

scoopDeeDoo

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby scoopDeeDoo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Last edited by scoopDeeDoo on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancho

Postby pancho » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
pancho wrote:Think I have read them all. Could you be more specific?

Because I like Mike so much. http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/help-m ... his-cycle/

Mea culpa.

redsox

Postby redsox » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:02 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Last post of the day because I have mega work to do BUT, redsox you inspired this new admissions package for next cycle.

We are going to offer FULL Cycle 2014/15 Admissions Consulting + two tickets on top of the Red Sox dugout (it pays to have happy clients from last year) and you can go with either Karen (likely) or me to the game and talk admissions through as much of the game as you want.

We'll make sure we get the two tix plus a date and post on our blog in ear;ly 2014. I think this sounds cool, yes?

Mike

Sounds awesome - just a cycle late for me. Glad to be so inspirational. Fenway Franks might be Giffen goods, so you should probably throw in a couple of those.

But my child self would kill me if I had seats like that and spent 9 innings talking exclusively about law school admissions. Which one of you talks a better baseball game?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:05 pm

redsox wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Last post of the day because I have mega work to do BUT, redsox you inspired this new admissions package for next cycle.

We are going to offer FULL Cycle 2014/15 Admissions Consulting + two tickets on top of the Red Sox dugout (it pays to have happy clients from last year) and you can go with either Karen (likely) or me to the game and talk admissions through as much of the game as you want.

We'll make sure we get the two tix plus a date and post on our blog in ear;ly 2014. I think this sounds cool, yes?

Mike

Sounds awesome - just a cycle late for me. Glad to be so inspirational. Fenway Franks might be Giffen goods, so you should probably throw in a couple of those.

But my child self would kill me if I had seats like that and spent 9 innings talking exclusively about law school admissions. Which one of you talks a better baseball game?

I played until I was in my 20's and can discuss the nuances of the forced balk and first and third fall down play so likely me.

But Karen owns like 700 Red Sox hats so she'd be better company for that game.

pancho

Postby pancho » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:52 am

Okay. How about this one: If an applicant registers for an LSAT after going complete, does the school automatically get notified or do they have to make the effort of running a report?

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:01 am

pancho wrote:Okay. How about this one: If an applicant registers for an LSAT after going complete, does the school automatically get notified or do they have to make the effort of running a report?

Would like to know this one as well.

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:47 pm

outlawscr10 wrote:
pancho wrote:Okay. How about this one: If an applicant registers for an LSAT after going complete, does the school automatically get notified or do they have to make the effort of running a report?

I believe it's the latter.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Here's a softball for either Mike or Karen:

How much research do adcomms put into a candidate's social life and/or internet presence? Some employers do a quick Google scan or LinkedIn check on potential hires. Are us applicants being "creeped" (to use a popular term among our gen.)?

thestatusguo

Postby thestatusguo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Vincent wrote:
outlawscr10 wrote:

I believe it's the latter.

Seconded; it depends on the school - some will have someone in the office regularly/automatically run the report periodically and will know pretty much immediately if you've registered for another test. Others may not run the report for quite a while or may not care if you're signed up even if you are and may evaluate your application without waiting for a new LSAT score.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Sorry to have been mostly absent the past two days. I have been working on a lot of things, including this new addition to our consulting firm!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/press- ... onsulting/

Obviously I can only speak for myself (okay I will speak for Karen too) but this is exciting in our world because it will help students make the right choice about whether law school is right for them and what law schools best suit their career goals.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:26 pm

I'm very excited to be joining both Karen and Mike!

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:06 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:I'm very excited to be joining both Karen and Mike!

Congratulations! What an exciting addition.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:06 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Sorry to have been mostly absent the past two days. I have been working on a lot of things, including this new addition to our consulting firm!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/press- ... onsulting/

Obviously I can only speak for myself (okay I will speak for Karen too) but this is exciting in our world because it will help students make the right choice about whether law school is right for them and what law schools best suit their career goals.

Congrats Mike! This is a great thing for potential applicants.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:39 am

having received my grades...quick question: do law schools rescind for a dropping GPA? if they do, what would be considered a drop enough to be rescinded?

I searched through the past questions doc and didn't see the answer. I've asked this around but it has been mostly to other 0Ls and have gotten different answers.

sorry for asking so many questions

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:13 am

scoobers wrote:having received my grades...quick question: do law schools rescind for a dropping GPA? if they do, what would be considered a drop enough to be rescinded?

I searched through the past questions doc and didn't see the answer. I've asked this around but it has been mostly to other 0Ls and have gotten different answers.

I'm sure in this history of law school admissions it has happened but like, maybe once. It is much harder than you think to rescind an offer of admission.

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:31 am

Hey, Mike. Mind answering the question about whether schools that you've already applied to will see that you signed up for another LSAT? Essentially, are schools going to hold my application because I sign up for a future LSAT?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:38 am

Thestatusguo nailed it!

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:44 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Thestatusguo nailed it!

Cheers!

prospect2014

Postby prospect2014 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:46 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
scoobers wrote:having received my grades...quick question: do law schools rescind for a dropping GPA? if they do, what would be considered a drop enough to be rescinded?

I'm sure in this history of law school admissions it has happened but like, maybe once. It is much harder than you think to rescind an offer of admission.

what do you mean it's hard to get rescinded? in my reading, the "decline in academic performance...action displaying lack of integrity, character...etc" statement seems vague and broad enough to justify any rescission. i know admissions people aren't in the business to screw over people's life plans. but putting misrepresentation and academic decline to the side for a moment, if they learn of a pending CF issue (for example), couldn't they just rescind and cite the "lack of character, integrity" part?

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:28 pm

prospect2014 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

what do you mean it's hard to get rescinded? in my reading, the "decline in academic performance...action displaying lack of integrity, character...etc" statement seems vague and broad enough to justify any rescission. i know admissions people aren't in the business to screw over people's life plans. but putting misrepresentation and academic decline to the side for a moment, if they learn of a pending CF issue (for example), couldn't they just rescind and cite the "lack of character, integrity" part?

I wonder if detrimental reliance could be applied to a rescinded admissions offer.

tlsthrowaway

Postby tlsthrowaway » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:04 am

Hi MIke and Karen:
First, I have not yet thanked you for doing this thread and especially for archiving it. So much easier going through an organized PDF than 70+ pages of thread!

I have a question that I did not see addressed in the PDF. I hope you don't mind, but I made a throwaway account out of paranoia, just in case some admissions officer is bored! It's a transfer question. My ultimate, dream school is Stanford, but I am well below their GPA floor. I am planning to only attend law school where I'd be happy graduating from, etc, but I still plan on throwing out a transfer app more as a hail-mary thing. But my actual question is very general. For people in this situation, where you are planning to go to and graduate from X school but still feel like it's worth it to throw a longshot app to a top, top school that you have no chance at now (h/y/s/whatever) and maybe have a GPA or LSAT that will stick out in a bad way, is it better to apply to the school during 0L to show interest, or to just wait and try to transfer so they only have your 1L grades to go on?

Thank you both. Love this thread!

thestatusguo

Postby thestatusguo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:59 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Thestatusguo nailed it!

Haha awww thanks guys :D

OnaFets

Postby OnaFets » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:56 am

Hey Mike,

I was wondering what your input on this situation would be. I sent my application to Harvard and Stanford and didn't realize that .rtf would not show header and would make the pages a little shorter. Long story short, my personal statement and diversity statements are in without a header and the personal statement is a sentence over two pages. While I doubt an admissions officer should care, I feel like it looks sloppy. I have the option of updating my personal statement through e-mail, which will consist of me turning in the same essay but in .docx format which properly displays headers and stays under two pages, but is it worth it?

Thanks
Last edited by OnaFets on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:19 am

The-Specs wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Can students take the LSAT in June to try to get off waitlists? Or more specifically, if a student got waitlisted in January, if they tell a school they are planning on taking the June LSAT, will schools actually wait and see how that goes? I would take February, but I don't think I'm going to have sufficient time to study before then.

MDLG, you already have a great LSAT score, what do you think will be gained by taking it again? I mean, if you score a 179 or a 180 maybe it will put you over the edge but at this point you are already at or above every 75th percentile except for Yale's. I just don't think that schools care enough about their top quartile to warrant retaking.

But, but, but.. so far Harvard some random school I won't name has let in everyone (as far as I can tell) with a 176 who is above a certain GPA. I can certainly gain one extra point (especially if I wait until June).

MikeSpivey wrote:MDLG yes for most schools you absolutely can.

Also, taking the LSAT again when you have a 175+ is called a Giffin Good.

I'm not bright enough to follow (and I never took economics). If I can get the score up, demand will go up, but if it goes down, demand is going to go down?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:50 pm

All,

I'm traveling all this week. I'm going to try to answer some of these wed night/Thursday morning hopefully Karen will be around some too, I'm not sure of her schedule.

Dangerous , the LSAT/Giffin good thing was just a joke. I was either poking fun of me, Red Sox, or intellectual masturbation as a principle.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”