Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

lastsamurai

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby lastsamurai » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:06 am

I think the "mad" was referring to the free-for-all. Like a mad dash for high LSATs

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 am

lastsamurai wrote:I think the "mad" was referring to the free-for-all. Like a mad dash for high LSATs

Yeah this is how I read it as well.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:15 am

cannibal ox wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:I can't give specifics for confidentiality reasons, with both clients and friends who are in the admissions world, but what we seem to be seeing early on, even at the top (which always trickles down so will impact middle of tier 1) is the strong*potential* (still early but growing evidence) that floors on gpa will be lowered or considerably lowered for a mad LSAT free for all AND that top schools may be offering substantial money early. The scholarship early part would be a boon for leveraging offers before the LSAC date when schools can say "accept our money or we can rescind your offer" .

When exactly is this date?

It is in LSAC's statement of good practice, which I believe is readily available to the public. I can't quit remember but if you can't find it let me know.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:17 am

lawschool22 wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:I think the "mad" was referring to the free-for-all. Like a mad dash for high LSATs

Yep, "mad LSAT free for all" as in trying to gobble up LSATs at the top because they are in short supply rather than the LSAT scores are angry from lack of company. (although that might apply here too)

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:22 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Yep, "mad LSAT free for all" as in trying to gobble up LSATs at the top because they are in short supply rather than the LSAT scores are angry from lack of company. (although that might apply here too)

What do you define as "top" - interested parties would like to know :)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:33 am

lawschool22 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

What do you define as "top" - interested parties would like to know :)

In this case I mean LSAT scores in the 173+ range.

For schools I think just about everyone is going to be impacted although t3 perhaps less so than the others. Still, even at a t3 I think there already might be some shift in strategy. No mas on this!

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:39 am

MikeSpivey wrote:

For schools I think just about everyone is going to be impacted although t3 perhaps less so than the others. Still, even at a t3 I think there already might be some shift in strategy. No mas on this!

¡Gracias, compadre!

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:42 am

MikeSpivey wrote:

What's the granularity on the LSAT score bands? I remember last year that applications from 170+ scorers were down 25% over the previous year, but didn't remember if there were also stats for sub-bands within the 170-180 range.

neprep

Postby neprep » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:48 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Merci!

MikeSpivey wrote: It is in LSAC's statement of good practice, which I believe is readily available to the public. I can't quit remember but if you can't find it let me know.

LSAC Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Thanks, Neprep!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:50 pm

pancho wrote:Are schools able to see whether we have registered for a future LSAT? If so, why do they ask this in the application?

They have to run a specific report to see that and my wild guess is that most do not, but yes it is in the available database. Likely asking makes it easier for them.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:54 pm

neprep wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Merci!

MikeSpivey wrote: It is in LSAC's statement of good practice, which I believe is readily available to the public. I can't quit remember but if you can't find it let me know.

LSAC Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices

Except under binding early decision plans or for academic
terms beginning in the spring or summer, no law school
should require an enrollment commitment of any kind to an
offer of admission or scholarship prior to April 1.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:43 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
pancho wrote:Are schools able to see whether we have registered for a future LSAT? If so, why do they ask this in the application?

They have to run a specific report to see that and my wild guess is that most do not, but yes it is in the available database. Likely asking makes it easier for them.

Hi Mike

mellow

Postby mellow » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:43 pm

First, thank you so much for your help on these forums! This is the one thread I read from beginning to end.

I have a question about updating schools on new LSAT scores. If I sent an application and told them not to hold for my Dec retake LSAT score, but still didn't get a decision before the score release, should I send them an update? Or should I wait until I'm waitlisted to send the update?

I don't want to seem like I'm going back on my word or however they might interpret this.

(btw, this is just for my safety schools. I followed the advice you gave me for most of my applications. :D)

drevo

Postby drevo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Bump for this:

My apps are done except for my second letter of rec which should be uploaded this weekend at the latest. For the schools requiring 2 letter of rec should I submit my apps now in order to get "in line" as soon as possible since most likely the schools won't even review it before the second letter is in? Or is there a disadvantage to submitting before LSAC has received and processed my second letter for whatever reason?

I'm 3.6x/175 so I want to capitalize on this potential mad dash for LSATs. I'm applying to all T14 plus USC/UCLA.

oceanmd

Postby oceanmd » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Mike and Karen,

What is your opinion on joining The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi. I received an invitation, membership fee is $80. Does it help to have it on the resume?

Thank you

pancho

Postby pancho » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:08 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Thanks Mike!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:13 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Hi Mike

(just kidding, back at you. Glad you finally posted on here!)

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:27 pm

What is your opinion on people continuing to ask you questions that our search function does a absolutely fantastic job of answering?

:roll:

pancho

Postby pancho » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:53 pm

IgosduIkana wrote:What is your opinion on people continuing to ask you questions that our search function does a absolutely fantastic job of answering?

Probably that said person puts more stock in what Mike says than what the average TLS poster says (yourself included)? :wink:

drevo

Postby drevo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:59 pm

pancho wrote:
IgosduIkana wrote:What is your opinion on people continuing to ask you questions that our search function does a absolutely fantastic job of answering?

Probably that said person puts more stock in what Mike says than what the average TLS poster says (yourself included)? :wink:

Bingo.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:00 pm

pancho wrote:

True. But some of these questions have been asked and answered with accuracy year after year.

pancho

Postby pancho » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:09 pm

IgosduIkana wrote:
pancho wrote:

True. But some of these questions have been asked and answered with accuracy year after year.

Until the query I posed has been answered by someone who has actually worked inside an admissions office, we will never know if it has been "answered with accuracy year after year" will we?

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:19 pm

pancho wrote:
IgosduIkana wrote:
pancho wrote:

Until the query I posed has been answered by someone who has actually worked inside an admissions office, we will never know if it has been "answered with accuracy year after year" will we?

"some of these questions." anyway

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:22 pm

bouleversement wrote:Karen,

If HLS had to hypothetically choose to maintain either of its LSAT strength or its GPA strength, which do you believe it would choose?

Thanks!

Mike, in light of what you have recently posted, it may look like TITCR is LSAT strength?

By the way, that last GIF of yours is rather disturbing.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”