Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

ArundelSt

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby ArundelSt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Mike and Karen the PDF is awesome! Thanks so much. I was wondering if you could offer any advice about waitlists and the Feb LSAT? If I got waitlisted by top 2 or 3 schools and took the February LSAT and increased my score by a point or two would this likely bump me to admit if I was already borderline? Or do they not consider a Feb score for the waitlist? Thanks so much for your help.

oceanmd

Postby oceanmd » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Karen and Mike, huge thank you for all your help. I have a question on how I should or could maximize my application. I am retaking LSAT in February. I anticipate the waitlist at my reach school. How should I spend my winter break besides studying for LSAT? Should I do an internship in the law office, continue with community service? or entirely dedicate my time to LSAT?
Thank you
Last edited by oceanmd on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:28 am

Karen or Mike,

I recently solicited a waiver from a university. I was forwarded to the admissions dean, and he asked me 'Why X' university. I informed him and he awarded the waiver. Now I'm wondering how I should answer the 'Why X' question on the application itself. Copy and paste? Rephrase? Something completely different?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:38 am

outlawscr10 wrote:Karen or Mike,

I recently solicited a waiver from a university. I was forwarded to the admissions dean, and he asked me 'Why X' university. I informed him and he awarded the waiver. Now I'm wondering how I should answer the 'Why X' question on the application itself. Copy and paste? Rephrase? Something completely different?

I would either rephrase, or depending on how shallow (I don't mean that pejoratively, just in an email sense) your initial email to the admissions dean was you may want to go into more depth. Certainly though it can be the same theme.

Side note. Can the clever hive mind think of a nice abbreviation to "Admissions Dean". AdDean maybe? I think TLS needs one, agreed?

Mike

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:40 am

oceanmd wrote:Karen and Mike, huge thank you for all your help. I have a question on how I should or could maximize my application. I am retaking LSAT in February. I anticipate the waitlist at my reach school. How should I spend my winter break besides studying for LSAT? Should I do an internship in the law office, something like shadowing the lawyer? continue with community service? or entirely dedicate my time to LSAT?
Thank you

I wouldn't do a legal intern over winter break unless you think it will give you an award winning experience and connections. So without really knowing much I would continue with community service and study for the little quiz. Good luck!

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:52 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
outlawscr10 wrote:Karen or Mike,

I would either rephrase, or depending on how shallow (I don't mean that pejoratively, just in an email sense) your initial email to the admissions dean was you may want to go into more depth. Certainly though it can be the same theme.

Side note. Can the clever hive mind think of a nice abbreviation to "Admissions Dean". AdDean maybe? I think TLS needs one, agreed?

Mike

I mean, A.D. works as an easy shorthand for Athletics Director. I'm sure in this environment nobody would get confused.

fire_ice

Postby fire_ice » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi Mike and Karen,

Thank you so much for providing great advice!
I am one of those ppl who were in phd but graduated with only ms and apply for law school.
I assume I will have to explain this, as many schools ask whether my education was interrupted at one point.
How should I approach the addendum? Very concise and straight to the point? Something more narrative?
Would my status hurt my admission chances?
Thank you so much!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:17 pm

I wish I had thought to do this, but here is a map of all ABA law schools.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8 ... 0c9c200ddb

screaming_meemies

Postby screaming_meemies » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Mike and Karen,

Thanks for providing such a handy resource.

A couple questions:

Do law schools consider the yields of their peer schools when apportioning scholarships? As an example, would an applicant with his or her heart set on attending Michigan/Duke/Cornell with $$$ be justified in applying to slightly higher ranked schools (where he or she would likely be accepted) even though the applicant would be unlikely to matriculate and receive a scholarship? Would the acceptance by itself create leverage in scholarship negotiations with the applicant's target schools? Or in yet other words, is it the case that the applicant's target schools would regard acceptance at a slightly higher-ranked school as an additional "soft" factor? Or is this too neurotic?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Sorry we are slow on a few of these -- Thanksgiving break equals much work for us.

I'm going to try to jump on a few answers tomorrow am before my epic battle between tryptophan and caffeine commences. If we owe you one that has somehow gotten buried, feel free to bump it.

Happy Thanksgiving TLS!

Mike

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:06 am

Happy Thanksgiving Mike and Karen!! Thanks so much for the infinitely valuable wisdom you've taken the time to share with peons.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:37 am

[/quote]
fire_ice wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,

I am one of those ppl who were in phd but graduated with only ms and apply for law school.
I assume I will have to explain this, as many schools ask whether my education was interrupted at one point.
How should I approach the addendum? Very concise and straight to the point? Something more narrative?
Thank you so much!

Be very much concise and to the point -- it will not hurt your chances. You will likely come across three separate scenarios: (1) you won't have to address at all it will not be asked so don't draw attention to it, (2) a simple "did you ever withdraw" and (3) "were you forced to withdraw". Again though, just get straight o it and I would not stress about this at all, it happens more than you think.

Mike

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by outlawscr10 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Postby haus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:59 pm

IgosduIkana wrote:Happy Thanksgiving Mike and Karen!! Thanks so much for the infinitely valuable wisdom you've taken the time to share with peons.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:28 pm

fire_ice wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,

Thank you so much!

If Mr. Spivey doesn't mind me giving you some input here. I currently work for a graduate college (at least for the next two weeks) and this is something that is seen all the time. I have no idea how a law school would view it, but I know there are grad schools that would look at this and give it about as much thought as yesterday's lunch. So long story short, don't sweat it too much.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:41 am

I don't mind at all -- especially as your answer is spot on. Thanks, Tyr!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:15 am

In case you missed it in a more obscure thread, here is a blog on taking the Dec versus Feb LSAT and when to apply:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/help-m ... his-cycle/

and here is what my inbox looks like due to the Thanksgiving break:

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:26 am

Guilty :-(

MikeSpivey wrote:In case you missed it in a more obscure thread, here is a blog on taking the Dec versus Feb LSAT and when to apply:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/help-m ... his-cycle/

and here is what my inbox looks like due to the Thanksgiving break: ...

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Mike and Karen (KB specifically for HLS),

Do C&F issues ever come up in interviews? I have a few this week and next, and I was wondering how to prepare for this. If C&F is a potential issue, I would figure they would request additional info before extending an interview. Or alternatively decide it was an issue and not extend an interview, or decide it wasn't an issue and extend the interview.

In any case, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on how C&F plays into the decision of whether to extend an interview, and also whether it is likely to come up during the interview itself.

Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:18 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Mike and Karen (KB specifically for HLS),

Do C&F issues ever come up in interviews? I have a few this week and next, and I was wondering how to prepare for this. If C&F is a potential issue, I would figure they would request additional info before extending an interview. Or alternatively decide it was an issue and not extend an interview, or decide it wasn't an issue and extend the interview.

In any case, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on how C&F plays into the decision of whether to extend an interview, and also whether it is likely to come up during the interview itself.

Thanks!

I'll let Karen chime in but yes, C&F not only often come up in interviews, but also for many schools elicit their own phone interviews. So I would be very prepared for this.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:39 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Thanks!

I'll let Karen chime in but yes, C&F not only often come up in interviews, but also for many schools elicit their own phone interviews. So I would be very prepared for this.

I agree with Mike. You should be prepared to discuss it if asked.
Cheers,
KB

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:55 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Thanks!

I agree with Mike. You should be prepared to discuss it if asked.
Cheers,
KB

Thanks to you both!

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:11 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:I got the first round of Oct LSAT test taker data :-)

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/oct-ls ... by-region/

That is mildly interesting. Of acute interest will be the bandwidth data, which we will blog the second it is released to admissions deans.

Hi Mike,

Just wondering if this bandwidth data has been released yet. Would be really interesting to see if the large drop in high scorers continued for the October test.

Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:22 pm

altoid99 wrote:

That is mildly interesting. Of acute interest will be the bandwidth data, which we will blog the second it is released to admissions deans.

Hi Mike,

Just wondering if this bandwidth data has been released yet. Would be really interesting to see if the large drop in high scorers continued for the October test.

Thanks!

I check with my source(s) about twice a week, I'll ping 'em tomorrow to see if they are available. I'm curious too!!!

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:36 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
altoid99 wrote:

Hi Mike,

Thanks!

I check with my source(s) about twice a week, I'll ping 'em tomorrow to see if they are available. I'm curious too!!!

What are the bandwidth data ?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”