Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

outlawscr10

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby outlawscr10 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:39 am

Seeing my target schools become my safety schools in just one minute was worth all the LSAT prep.

drevo

Postby drevo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:45 am

outlawscr10 wrote:Seeing my target schools become my safety schools in just one minute was worth all the LSAT prep.

That is the absolute best way to describe it.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:51 am

Here are some things for you guys.

1. We now have this entire thread, sans all the external noise, in a pdf broken down by content (e.g. rankings, LSAT, interviews, etc). I just need to find/figure out a place to host it and link from our website. It will be up today, I think you guys will like it. I won't mention a name without permission but this was done by a TLS'er who is a 1L at a top, top law school. Many thanks to said person from taking the time t do this versus reading for Torts.

2. We only have 14 more responses left in our law school building/facility survey (after a certain number they say "pay for more" and we will likely say "buzz off" at this point). So if you have visited a few schools and want to help us/be a part of the rankings come out of it, here is the link one more time.

http://jotform.co/form/33215267186859

3. Kyle McEntee, Co-founder and Exec. Director of Law School Transparency is on a plane out to meet with me over today and tomorrow about, intellectually stated, law school stuff. So I may be slightly off the grid BUT I may also be better equipped to answer law school placement oriented questions with Kyle. So if anyone has been pondering one of these, now is the time. here is their website as an fyi:

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Here you guys go, this entire thread summarized by content. Enjoy and I hope this makes life much easier!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/103-pa ... ns-advice/

drevo

Postby drevo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:42 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Here you guys go, this entire thread summarized by content. Enjoy and I hope this makes life much easier!

Thank you very much for this. 100000x easier than sifting through the 60+ pages.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:00 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Here you guys go, this entire thread summarized by content. Enjoy and I hope this makes life much easier!

WOW, that is great. Thank you!

drevo

Postby drevo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:26 pm

This is probably a dumb question but I am starting to upload my Resume to my apps and on Berkeley's instructions it says

List your positions of employment since high school (either full- or part-time), the number of hours per week devoted to each position, and the dates of employment.

My resume is set up to show everything starting at freshman year of college. So is this asking to show all employment after high-school (which is what I assume is correct), or is it saying "starting in high school." I would think it would be the former case but if Berkeley wants to see my 2-3 years as a busser than I surely will oblige them.

lawpanther

Postby lawpanther » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:35 pm

DAAAAAMMMMN. Awesome. Guess that intern's really paying off, huh? Poor kid. And during law school, too.

This is gonna be really, really useful for us and the future, though. Mad thanks to... "your nameless mystery intern".

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:32 pm

drevo wrote:This is probably a dumb question but I am starting to upload my Resume to my apps and on Berkeley's instructions it says

List your positions of employment since high school (either full- or part-time), the number of hours per week devoted to each position, and the dates of employment.

My resume is set up to show everything starting at freshman year of college. So is this asking to show all employment after high-school (which is what I assume is correct), or is it saying "starting in high school." I would think it would be the former case but if Berkeley wants to see my 2-3 years as a busser than I surely will oblige them.

I actually called them and asked this, haha. They told me not to include high school employment.

drevo

Postby drevo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:20 am

NYC2012 wrote:
drevo wrote:This is probably a dumb question but I am starting to upload my Resume to my apps and on Berkeley's instructions it says

I actually called them and asked this, haha. They told me not to include high school employment.

I was about to do the same. Thank you for the info!

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:10 am

lawpanther wrote:

DAAAAAMMMMN. Awesome. Guess that intern's really paying off, huh? Poor kid. And during law school, too.

This is gonna be really, really useful for us and the future, though. Mad thanks to... "your nameless mystery intern".

This was actually not the work of the [0L] intern... though she did volunteer! :wink: From what I know, it was an unknown and benevolent TLSer.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:26 am

xylocarp wrote:This was actually not the work of the [0L] intern... though she did volunteer! :wink: From what I know, it was an unknown and benevolent TLSer.

I'm guessing you're the intern.

Good pick, Mike & Karen.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:32 am

Lavitz wrote:
xylocarp wrote:This was actually not the work of the [0L] intern... though she did volunteer! :wink: From what I know, it was an unknown and benevolent TLSer.

I'm guessing you're the intern.

Good pick, Mike & Karen.

Thanks, Lavitz :D

drevo

Postby drevo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:28 am

I just went through almost all of the PDF summary of this thread, but I still have 2 questions regarding how admissions officers view transcripts and the Academic Summary Report.

First, do they look simply at the Summary Report or do they look at the official transcripts as well? Or does it depend on the case? Because I was checking out my summary report and realized it sort of softened the trend of my grades. I had one bad (as in sub 3.0 and getting the only C I've gotten in my life bad) semester as a sophomore, but because the Summary Report shows GPA by academic year it kind of down plays that semester into looking more like a year where I just didn't work quite as hard. My transcripts, on the other hand, make it pretty easy to see that one semester is the main culprit for my total GPA being lower than what most of my semester GPAs were. I know grade trends aren't gonna do miracle work but my total 3.6x hopefully looks better knowing that outside of basically one sophomore semester it would be around a 3.8x rather than a slower year-long drop in sophomore year with a recovery in junior year.

Second, in regards to the part of the Summary where it has the info regarding LSATs and GPAs from other applicants from my university, am I right in thinking that the fewer overall percentage of previous applicants from my school with a GPA at or above my own the better? I was just thinking in terms of if there were tons of people getting top notch GPAs at my university then I would think that means grade inflation. Again, I know my LSAC uGPA is what they have to report but coming from a big CA state school that isn't prestigious (though it is one of the hardest CSUs to get into for non-service area applicants like myself fwiw) I would imagine that most T14 admissions haven't really dealt with applicants from my school too often and thus wouldn't know about inflation/deflation off the top of their head.

Reason I'm curious is that my LSAT is at or above every school's 75th I am applying to, except for Yale which I am submitting knowing I will get rejected. But, with shrinking applicant pools I am hoping there are some mitigating factors to my blowing it that one semester and screwing myself out of a high 3.7x/low 3.8x overall. Thanks!!

in the process

Postby in the process » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Mike/Karen,

First off the PDF is awesome! It makes things so much easier, so thanks for that.

Had a question which I didn't see addressed there.

Will the Feb. LSAT be considered (and waited on) once an application has been submitted with an earlier LSAT score?

For example on Harvard's website it says ]All applicants for Harvard Law School must take the LSAT before the February 1 application deadline (no later than the December LSAT administration) in order for your application to be guaranteed consideration."

Is this specifically concerning a first LSAT score or is it a general policy?

Thanks

smallbrownbear

Postby smallbrownbear » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Mystery TLSer? Sweet. Good on that cat.

Top, Top, Top law schools need more benevolent students. Too many gunners and jerks. Let me be the most recent to say, "Thank you for this PDF! It rocks!". Between the table of contents and the fact that it's just one searchable document, I can find those old threads that I know were in there but can't remember when and can't remember the exact language used so much quicker. Mike, Karen, and Mystery 1L, you are awesome. Have a good one everybody.

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Karen,

If HLS had to hypothetically choose to maintain either of its LSAT strength or its GPA strength, which do you believe it would choose?

Thanks!

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:22 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
Do you know if the trend of high scorers dropping faster the general pool has continued or has that info not been released yet?

I won't get that until early Dec, fyi. Will blog it once I do.

Mike,

Do you know when in early December?

Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:53 pm

bouleversement wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
Do you know if the trend of high scorers dropping faster the general pool has continued or has that info not been released yet?

I won't get that until early Dec, fyi. Will blog it once I do.

Mike,

Do you know when in early December?

Thanks!

Nope bit I've already started checking once a week with my peeps. I will ramp up more starting in Dec. Heck, I'll even check and post Dec. 17th and 18th while I am skiing.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:44 pm

I ran through the PDF and now I have another question :oops: .

My graduation date on my transcript and CAS is a year off due to changing plans (it says June 2015, but I'm graduating this year). I'm not able to change the CAS date (I called already), but my grad date is listed as June 2014 on apps and on my resume. I was told that most schools wouldn't notice, but one of the schools has contacted me. Should I contact the others to let them know what's up?

If the answer is yes then hot damn the prelaw advisor here is officially SPS.

THANK YOU. You guys are seriously the bestest.

neprep

Postby neprep » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:10 am

scoobers wrote:I ran through the PDF and now I have another question :oops: .

My graduation date on my transcript and CAS is a year off due to changing plans (it says June 2015, but I'm graduating this year). I'm not able to change the CAS date (I called already), but my grad date is listed as June 2014 on apps and on my resume. I was told that most schools wouldn't notice, but one of the schools has contacted me. Should I contact the others to let them know what's up?

Poor Scoobers has been asking this question for over three months with no answer :)

worried0L

Postby worried0L » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:39 am

scoobers wrote:I ran through the PDF and now I have another question :oops: .

scoobers i swear to god your display gif........

cracks me up everytime.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:28 am

In respect to USNWR they are going to use per student expenditures this year again, despite increasing pressure not to. I will talk more about this when I post on the rankings in more detail. But this cycle the rich will stay rich.

For Scoobers, I think most schools will not notice that discrepancy despite your one experience already to the contrary, I think if they do you are fine updating them at that point because it won't impact how anyone reads your file, and I think when you type things I read them as if they are coming out of the mouth of your avatar and it cracks me up.

For everyone, even though it is early HAPPY THANKSGIVING. I'm in a really good mood because my team won yet again in college football last night. Hopefully I can translate that into answering more questions on here but I still have that pesky Law School Transparency exec director here so juggling being a good host with being a good steward of this thread.

Mike

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:24 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:In respect to USNWR they are going to use per student expenditures this year again, despite increasing pressure not to. I will talk more about this when I post on the rankings in more detail. But this cycle the rich will stay rich.

For Scoobers, I think most schools will not notice that discrepancy despite your one experience already to the contrary, I think if they do you are fine updating them at that point because it won't impact how anyone reads your file, and I think when you type things I read them as if they are coming out of the mouth of your avatar and it cracks me up.

For everyone, even though it is early HAPPY THANKSGIVING. I'm in a really good mood because my team won yet again in college football last night. Hopefully I can translate that into answering more questions on here but I still have that pesky Law School Transparency exec director here so juggling being a good host with being a good steward of this thread.

Mike

Thank you! happy thanksgiving!!!

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Mike, I love the PDF. Is there any chance you can throw the link on the front page for posterity's sake?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”