Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

pancho

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby pancho » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi Karen (Is Mike still with us?),

Do you know of any law schools within the T14 that retain applications longer than two cycles? I am going to be reapplying and would like to know if they will have access to my previous application. I will be applying for the c/o 2016 2017 to the schools in question. I previously applied for the c/o 2013.

Thank you!

[Edited to fix the c/o year]
Last edited by pancho on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leroyjenkins6969

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi Karen and Mike,

Today I realized that I had taken college courses in high school and had not submitted my transcript for those courses to LSAC. I looked at the unofficial transcript for those college courses taken in high school, and it seems as if they would bump my LSDAS GPA up from a 3.64 to a 3.65.

It would take at least a week for LSAC to receive and process the transcript, however.

Is it worth it to submit my apps on say 11/21 instead of 11/14 for that extra .01?

How much will submitting on 11/21 instead of 11/14 affect my chances?

Also, how can I get more information about Spivey Consulting's services and price structure. I tried calling today but got no response.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:04 pm

pancho wrote:Hi Karen (Is Mike still with us?),

Do you know of any law schools within the T14 that retain applications longer than two cycles? I am going to be reapplying and would like to know if they will have access to my previous application. I will be applying for the c/o 2016 to the schools in question. I previously applied for the c/o 2013.

Thank you!

Hi pancho-
Mike is on the mend and will be back in the swing of things in a few days. :)
Yes, I know that HLS and SLS will keep apps for three years. Not sure about others...
Cheers,
karen

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:09 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:Hi Karen and Mike,

Today I realized that I had taken college courses in high school and had not submitted my transcript for those courses to LSAC. I looked at the unofficial transcript for those college courses taken in high school, and it seems as if they would bump my LSDAS GPA up from a 3.64 to a 3.65.

It would take at least a week for LSAC to receive and process the transcript, however.

Is it worth it to submit my apps on say 11/21 instead of 11/14 for that extra .01?

How much will submitting on 11/21 instead of 11/14 affect my chances?

Also, how can I get more information about Spivey Consulting's services and price structure. I tried calling today but got no response.

The schools will automatically get an update for your new GPA/transcripts so it won't really matter when you submit. Applying within that time frame is still on the early side, so there is zero difference in applying 11/21 or 11/14

Sorry about that with the phone; shoot me an email at karen@spiveyconsulting.com and we can chat.

Cheers,
Karen

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:12 am

Hi Mike and Karen,
Quick question on personal statements. I'm applying to ten T14 schools; what do you think about including a different small section for each school saying I want to take advantage of this program at Chicago/these are the profs or clinics I am interested in at Penn, etc?
Last edited by nothingtosee on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:15 am

I'm nobody but a megaposter but that sounds legit to me

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:15 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,
Quick question on personal statements. I'm applying to ten T14 schools; what do you think about including a different small section for each school saying I want to take advantage of this program at Chicago/these are the profs or clinics I am interested in at Penn, etc?

In general, I'd stay away from being specific about a school in a PS -- save it for a "why X" statement if appropriate. There's too much room for error and it takes up valuable space in your PS while generally not adding value (as it might in a why x statement).
You'd be amazed how many statements I read that declared their love for Yale... or Stanford ...or Chicago ...or some other school while working at HLS.

Cheers,
Karen

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:47 pm

bouleversement wrote:I think Spivey & Co. had too much candy. :P

KarenButtenbaum wrote:Mike is on the mend and will be back in the swing of things in a few days. :)

pancho

Postby pancho » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:43 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
pancho wrote:Hi Karen (Is Mike still with us?),

Do you know of any law schools within the T14 that retain applications longer than two cycles? I am going to be reapplying and would like to know if they will have access to my previous application. I will be applying for the c/o 2016 2017 to the schools in question. I previously applied for the c/o 2013.

Thank you!

Hi pancho-
Yes, I know that HLS and SLS will keep apps for three years. Not sure about others...
Cheers,
karen

Thanks Karen. I see I had the c/o year wrong in my first post! Too many cycles! :P

angels2fly

Postby angels2fly » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Planning and studying for the December LSAT. Have a 3.95 now and got a 165 in October. I know a better score is almost always better than an earlier application but I am getting really nervous about schools like Boalt that discuss the benefits of an earlier app almost everywhere. Would it be stupid to throw an app their way now? I don't want to be in a situation where they would accept me now, but won't in January.

Thanks for the insight

EEguy5

Postby EEguy5 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Hey Karen,

Maybe a dumb question, should I be italicizing things like a title of a Journal or Magazine in my essays. This just occurring to me, I already have a few apps submitted, hoping its a personal preference kind of thing.

Thank you!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:04 pm

angels2fly wrote:Planning and studying for the December LSAT. Have a 3.95 now and got a 165 in October. I know a better score is almost always better than an earlier application but I am getting really nervous about schools like Boalt that discuss the benefits of an earlier app almost everywhere. Would it be stupid to throw an app their way now? I don't want to be in a situation where they would accept me now, but won't in January.

Thanks for the insight

I think you'll be fine to wait -- but you can always submit and let them know you are retaking. You can also submit your app right before the scores come out so you are still on the early side, and they are very likely to get the score by the time they read your app.

Cheers,
karen

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:05 pm

EEguy5 wrote:Hey Karen,

Maybe a dumb question, should I be italicizing things like a title of a Journal or Magazine in my essays. This just occurring to me, I already have a few apps submitted, hoping its a personal preference kind of thing.

Thank you!

Titles of books, magazines, and journals should be italicized. :)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:29 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
Hi pancho-
Cheers,
karen

Hey Pancho et all.

Sorry about my absence. I had to deal with a significant dizzy attacks that the medical experts couldn't really figure how to treat other than trying to make me stable by giving me that same drug they gave Michael Jackson (I don't think I am kidding here). But I made it through, they (or likely mother nature) fixed me and I am back at the Neverneverland Ranch of Spivey Consulting. Well likely 89% better and 100% by tomorrow.

So I will need to spend a good while with my clients but should be back here before too long to give some AWESOME advice :)

Thanks for understanding! Apologies again!

Mike

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Here is a new blog article on The Future of Legal Services:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/the-future-of-law/

Also, should I be using a word different than blog? The kid on White House Down (highly realistic movie) kepy saying that "blog" was old. Please help, I am old!

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:05 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Here is a new blog article on The Future of Legal Services:

Also, should I be using a word different than blog? The kid on White House Down (highly realistic movie) kepy saying that "blog" was old. Please help, I am old!

That's not what we want to hear. really.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:30 pm

I think the idea is that blogging is out-dated and obsolete now because it's (slightly more) long-form social media, and twitter/tumblr/"micro-blogging" is The Thing now. I don't know what you'd call it besides a blog, though.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:35 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I think the idea is that blogging is out-dated and obsolete now because it's (slightly more) long-form social media, and twitter/tumblr/"micro-blogging" is The Thing now. I don't know what you'd call it besides a blog, though.

Togging/Mogging.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:43 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Also, should I be using a word different than blog? The kid on White House Down (highly realistic movie) kept saying that "blog" was old. Please help, I am old!

Togging/Mogging.

I'm going to call it Spogging.

Happy, was is useless or depressing? I find anything legal career related somewhat interesting but I could see it being useless to you guys and might just take it down.

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Hey, Mike.

Any word on how T14 schools are planning to deal with the applicants drop?

hawkeye10

Postby hawkeye10 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Not Happy Gilmore, but that thing was depressing

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Brought to you by: online-paralegal-degree.org

:roll:

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:20 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkeye10

Postby hawkeye10 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:Not Happy Gilmore, but that thing was depressing

Eh, it's just a speculative view based upon previous trends. It may or may not be correct, but regardless of its truth, many other fields will be impacted, and possibly altered in some way, due to legislation, innovation, or market forces. It is foreseeable that law will be one such field, leaving us and future generations to improvise, adapt, and overcome---or simply to leave the field, possibly due to changing gender roles, to stay home and teach our kids how to throw a ball, to make sure they watch the classics: Hook, Home Alone, Parent Trap, Alfalfa, and the Goonies, among others, and ensure they never forget that Jordan is better than LeBron.

Good point.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:37 pm

outlawscr10 wrote:Hey, Mike.

Any word on how T14 schools are planning to deal with the applicants drop?

I worry there will be a lot more of "accept our scholarship X date and withdraw from all schools who have admitted you or we reserve the right to rescind your offer" tactic that some schools, e.g. NYU, UVA, Duke, have started using"

On the plus side there should be more scholarship money like what Chicago has done.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”