Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

ZVBXRPL

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:55 am

ganja wrote:Mike, is it generally easier for someone to negotiate stipulations on a scholarship when he or she is well above above both 75th percentiles? I would think the school would try to hold on to such an applicant to raise it's numbers as much as it can especially with applications plummeting

Is it easier to pick a girl up in a Ferrari and a Tom Ford suit?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:03 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:
ganja wrote:Mike, is it generally easier for someone to negotiate stipulations on a scholarship when he or she is well above above both 75th percentiles? I would think the school would try to hold on to such an applicant to raise it's numbers as much as it can especially with applications plummeting

That is half of my Halloween costume. Guesses?

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:07 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

Law school professor?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:08 am

Winston1984 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

Law school professor?

No, Sir! on the opposite end of the spectrum.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:14 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

Law school professor?

No, Sir! on the opposite end of the spectrum.[/quote]

EDIT: You know what, I probably shouldn't do that to this thread. I think it will make it more difficult for people to sort through for advice. Email me with guesses:

mike@spiveyconsulting.com

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:58 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

What is Mike dressing up as?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=218575

EDIT: Karen, Dont think you're getting of the hook on this one.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:35 pm

californiauser wrote:2 part question:

Are part URMs given the full "URM boost"

and

Do schools count partial URMs in their minority data? For example, would someone who checks caucasian and African-American be listed as Black/African American in brochures and on school websites or would they only go in the multi race category or both?

PrizeFighter

Postby PrizeFighter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks in advance.

I wrote a successful grant proposal to do an undergrad research project but was forced to decline it after realizing that 40 hours of work + 12 Units + research project = biting off more than I wanted to chew. Should I omit mentioning this, or does the fact that I was able to successfully write a grant proposal make up for what may look like lack of follow through?

Bonafide84

Postby Bonafide84 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Mike,

I can't find the price for your services in your webpage.
:(

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:57 am

Bonafide84 wrote:Mike,

I can't find the price for your services in your webpage.
:(

Depends on a great number of things including your year, stage of application process, different options you'd like to select, etc etc. It starts at $500 for some basic stuff.

I Used to Be a Spy

Postby I Used to Be a Spy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Mike/Karen (but mostly Karen)

For Harvard admissions how bad is it to have a third LSAT score that is below your second score. E.G. 163,173,171.

Question part two. During my third sitting I was next to a person with CP which was very distracting, but decided to ride it out and not cancel. Is this at all worth writing an addendum for?

Thanks very much, I appreciate your time.

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:57 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

and

Do schools count partial URMs in their minority data? For example, would someone who checks caucasian and African-American be listed as Black/African American in brochures and on school websites or would they only go in the multi race category or both?

I'm very curious as well!

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Karen - can you talk a bit about the Harvard interview? Namely, if you got one, what it means for your chances, what will they be looking for, how important it is vis-a-vis your numbers (especially if they are below median), etc.

Thanks!

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:07 pm

Got a question on emailing deans from the LSAC forums. I was away after the forums and so I was not able to follow up. Would it be too late now to follow up or would it still be okay?

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:03 pm

jordan15 wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

and

I'm very curious as well!

The ABA Annual Questionnaire has a separate category for "Two or more races" and it is counted as one of the "minority categories". Obviously I can't speak for all law schools, but to the extent schools tend to only publicize the aggregate percentage of URMs, multi-racial admits "count" just the same as those who check one of the other minority categories. If a school chooses to list percentages for one or more specific race/ethnicities, they would be ill-advised (IMO) to list any thing other than what is in their official ABA/LSAC guide page (which separates out the 2 or more) since there are so many people just waiting to gotcha a law school doing something that even just appears shady.

Dean Perez

smallbrownbear

Postby smallbrownbear » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 pm

SPerez wrote:The ABA Annual Questionnaire has a separate category for "Two or more races" and it is counted as one of the "minority categories". Obviously I can't speak for all law schools, but to the extent schools tend to only publicize the aggregate percentage of URMs, multi-racial admits "count" just the same as those who check one of the other minority categories. If a school chooses to list percentages for one or more specific race/ethnicities, they would be ill-advised (IMO) to list any thing other than what is in their official ABA/LSAC guide page (which separates out the 2 or more) since there are so many people just waiting to gotcha a law school doing something that even just appears shady.

Dean Perez

This is interesting, but unfortunately, it just confused me more and brought up more questions. Are multi-racial applicants considered to be URM, even if their races are NOT considered minorities? For example, I think two really common races in law school are white and asian, so neither are URM. But for a mixed race white/asian, are they then URM? or did I totally misread something?

thanks Dean Perez for chiming in

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:54 pm

Now that we've figured out what Mike and Karen will be dressing up as, it is only fair that they post pictures (M: Thomas Magnum and K: Princess Leia).

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:43 am

I Used to Be a Spy wrote:Mike/Karen (but mostly Karen)

For Harvard admissions how bad is it to have a third LSAT score that is below your second score. E.G. 163,173,171.

Question part two. During my third sitting I was next to a person with CP which was very distracting, but decided to ride it out and not cancel. Is this at all worth writing an addendum for?

Thanks very much, I appreciate your time.

Of course it is not ideal, but the reality is that the high score wins! I don't always think addenda are necessary with differences in LSAT scores, but I think it makes sense in this case to let the school know in a very brief (2 sentence) addendum to put that last score in context.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:Karen - can you talk a bit about the Harvard interview? Namely, if you got one, what it means for your chances, what will they be looking for, how important it is vis-a-vis your numbers (especially if they are below median), etc.

Thanks!

In general, HLS will interview more people than they will admit, so not everyone who is interviewed will be admitted. But you need to have an interview before you are admitted, so getting invited to interview will exponentially increase your chances of being admitted over someone who is not invited to interview. :wink:

If you are invited to interview, it means there is something in your application that they like. The interview is really just another element of the application that can be for you, against you, or neutral.

Cheers,
Karen

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:58 am

What type of things work against someone in an interview?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:59 am

Bajam wrote:Got a question on emailing deans from the LSAC forums. I was away after the forums and so I was not able to follow up. Would it be too late now to follow up or would it still be okay?

They were away too (and still may be away!) so follow up -- especially if you made a good impression!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:05 am

drawstring wrote:What type of things work against someone in an interview?

This is not an extensive list, but here are some. And these may sounds obvious, but...
--> not answering the question that was asked
--> being rude
--> blowing it off
--> not taking it seriously
--> having an agenda (you really need to get these three points across)
--> being stoned out of your mind (seriously, it happened)

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:16 am

Any word on the number of October LSAT takers? I heard rumors of a 13% drop from last October but it sounded unconfirmed.

illyria

Postby illyria » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:58 am

Karen,

Is it necessary to explain a large LSAT score increase in the addenda?
I have 166-169-176 (in that order).
My PT average was closer to the last score, but the earlier two scores were due to Hurricane Sandy cancellation/family difficulties/general anxiety.
Would the two scores hurt my chances to Harvard, and should I explain these reasons in the addenda?

Thanks!

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 am

smallbrownbear wrote:
This is interesting, but unfortunately, it just confused me more and brought up more questions. Are multi-racial applicants considered to be URM, even if their races are NOT considered minorities? For example, I think two really common races in law school are white and asian, so neither are URM. But for a mixed race white/asian, are they then URM? or did I totally misread something?

thanks Dean Perez for chiming in

What's confusing you is probably the tendency on TLS for people to not consider Asian as a "real" minority because of their (real or perceived, depending on what school you're talking about) over-representation in higher education. They are, however, absolutely considered an under-represented minority in American law schools generally, even if they may constitute a larger proportion of the class at any specific school than in the general population of that school's region.

In case anyone is wondering, the ABA categories (many universities use more detailed, nuanced categories) are:

Non-Resident Alien (not counted as "minority")
Race and Ethnicity Unkown
Hispanics of Any Race
American Indian or Alaska Native
Asian
Black or African American
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
White
Two or More Races

It can get a little complicated sometimes, but it's usually easy to figure out as long as the student gives us enough information. E.g., someone who is of Afro-Cuban descent would go in the "Hispanic of any race" category, while Tiger Woods would go in the "Two or More Races" category. On the other hand, someone who is, say, half European and half Middle-Eastern would count in the "White" category since both are included in the description for that category.

Dean Perez

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”