Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

mnindc

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby mnindc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:07 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Business casual, e.g. pressed khaki pants and a dress shirt totally fine. Indeed, unless you are coming from work, business attire is not necessary at all.

Does that also apply to Skype interviews? Or is a tie/suit also necessary?

Thanks!

BruinRegents

Postby BruinRegents » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 am

mnindc wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Business casual, e.g. pressed khaki pants and a dress shirt totally fine. Indeed, unless you are coming from work, business attire is not necessary at all.

Thanks!

Who wears pants during Skype interviews? :wink:

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:11 am

mnindc wrote:

Thanks!

Business casual is probably what you want to go for -- a tie is a bit of an overkill.

Just don't wear a bathrobe. Or a sweater that looks like and might actually be a bathrobe. True story.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:22 pm

Understanding it's probably more idiosyncratic, how much would you estimate, on average, an EDO improves your chances for admission? (Particularly in the 15-25 range, if you were at approximately both medians).

Is it something where they typically take the 75% and up and push the rest into the regular cycle, or does it tend to make you significantly more attractive as an "average" candidate?

Thanks in advance! And sorry if this has been answered before... it's a long thread!

agglomeration

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officer

Postby agglomeration » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 pm

BruinRegents wrote:
agglomeration wrote:As far as softs go, how much weight do you think would be put on military service? I spent four years in the Marines, deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, am highly decorated (purple heart, combat action ribbon, etc). Also, i am finishing my undergrad degree in 3 years because i took more credits then most students do. Do you think that is helpful?

little more about me: 3.79 GPA, lsat pt range 168-173. Still waiting on official LSAT score.

If true, then CONGRATS and thanks for your service. In your case, I think it would be reasonable to assume that your "softs" would be considered significant.

It is true. Thanks!

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
agglomeration wrote:As far as softs go, how much weight do you think would be put on military service? I spent four years in the Marines, deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, am highly decorated (purple heart, combat action ribbon, etc). Also, i am finishing my undergrad degree in 3 years because i took more credits then most students do. Do you think that is helpful?

little more about me: 3.79 GPA, lsat pt range 168-173. Still waiting on official LSAT score.

It will certainly be a thumb on the scale; it's hard to quantify exactly how much weight, but it will have some, for sure. Thanks for your service!

Thank you. I have heard from some different people (not sure how reliable it is) that i should apply to a few schools above what my numbers would indicate i would get into. Was wondering if you knew of any information out there about acceptance specifically for veterans at schools?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:33 pm

agglomeration wrote:Thank you. I have heard from some different people (not sure how reliable it is) that i should apply to a few schools above what my numbers would indicate i would get into. Was wondering if you knew of any information out there about acceptance specifically for veterans at schools?

I was going to say "Aim High" but that's the wrong branch (and possibly a super-outdated slogan)
:)
I think its a good idea to apply to several "reach" schools. My opinion: your background will certainly give you a bit of a boost at any school.

Cheers,
Karen

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Karen,

What do you think is appropriate male attire for a LS Skype interview?
Do you have any article(s) of clothing worn by lawyers/law students that you can't stand (pet peeve)?
Besides for a suit and blazer, what specialty article of clothing should every law student own?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:13 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:Karen,

Do you have any article(s) of clothing worn by lawyers/law students that you can't stand (pet peeve)?
Besides for a suit and blazer, what specialty article of clothing should every law student own?

Don't wear a smoking jacket and an ascot :wink:
Business attire is appropriate for the interview, but you don't necessarily need to wear a tie.
But you should own a tie.

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:39 am

Mike and Karen:

Really? :shock:

BruinRegents

Postby BruinRegents » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:30 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:Karen,

Don't wear a smoking jacket and an ascot :wink:
Business attire is appropriate for the interview, but you don't necessarily need to wear a tie.
But you should own a tie.

Awesome! Maybe on his way to a cabaret?

I bet you and Mike are a gazillion stories that would have us shaking our heads.

littleaaron

Postby littleaaron » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm noticing that there are a few optional essays that seem to want similar answers. For example, there might be four essays, and one might say "how have you been shaped by your past experiences" and another might say "tell how you might add to the culture at X school because of your diversity".

I'm making these up, of course.

But these could theoretically both be answered by an essay that talks about how you grew up poor and a minority and it shaped your worldview. In this case, or in similar cases, are you obligated to write two separate essays and make sure they're distinct, or should you just do one? Or, can you write one essay and just say, this answers questions one and two?

What's best here?

thanks mike and karen!

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:10 pm

2 part question:

Are part URMs given the full "URM boost"

and

Do schools count partial URMs in their minority data? For example, would someone who checks caucasian and African-American be listed as Black/African American in brochures and on school websites or would they only go in the multi race category or both?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:11 am

Will_McAvoy wrote:Understanding it's probably more idiosyncratic, how much would you estimate, on average, an EDO improves your chances for admission? (Particularly in the 15-25 range, if you were at approximately both medians).

Is it something where they typically take the 75% and up and push the rest into the regular cycle, or does it tend to make you significantly more attractive as an "average" candidate?

Thanks in advance! And sorry if this has been answered before... it's a long thread!

Will, there isn't much of a bump at most schools for applying ED, you are correct. There is a blog at our website that addresses this numerically provided by my buddy El Terrible. Your quick analysis is pretty spot-on although it might not have to be both scores about 75% to get in ED.

There also a good deal of talk on TLS including in this thread about it. Sorry this thread requires some mucking around to find. I thought about starting a "Part II" thread but if you think about it, that would make this information more difficult to find not easier, so I think we are going to roll with this eternally.

Everyone who signs up with us, btw, gets a free consult before they do and often this involves heavy discussion on applying ED 9among other things).

Harry Belafonte

Postby Harry Belafonte » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Thank you for all the time you've put into this amazing thread.

When interviewing an applicant, would facial hair negatively affect your impression of the applicant or would it be a non-issue?

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:37 pm

First, thank you Mike and Karen for all the answers you've given in this thread. Been reading it for a while.

Do you think it's wise to list all the single semester academic honors, e.g. Dean's List, in the honors part of the education section, or just the final Latin honors (e.g. cum laude)? It seems kind of ridiculous to write down "Dean's List" eight times in the honors section.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:43 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:First, thank you Mike and Karen for all the answers you've given in this thread. Been reading it for a while.

Do you think it's wise to list all the single semester academic honors, e.g. Dean's List, in the honors part of the education section, or just the final Latin honors (e.g. cum laude)? It seems kind of ridiculous to write down "Dean's List" eight times in the honors section.

Honors
Cum laude - Top 20% of graduates
Dean's list - Eight Semesters

lawpanther

Postby lawpanther » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:09 pm

How does the transfer process work? I'm gunning for the best school possible, and will only go to a school I'd be happy graduating from, but I'm from chicago and it has always been my dream to go to the university of chicago.

So, I feel like I have nothing to lose by at least attempting to transfer there. I'm completely locked out at this point due to an abysmal gpa, but I'm wondering if it would be better to apply this year, knowing that I'll be rejected, but then when I try to transfer they'll look at the fact that I already applied and say, "oh, he's wanted to go here for a while".

Or, is it better to not apply, because my gpa is so bad it might stick out, or maybe they don't see your LSDAS gpa when you transfer? Is there any downside to applying with a terrible GPA this cycle that could affect my later chances at a transfer?

thank

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Harry Belafonte wrote:Thank you for all the time you've put into this amazing thread.

When interviewing an applicant, would facial hair negatively affect your impression of the applicant or would it be a non-issue?

Karen can chime in too but I doubt it does consciously. I doubt a single admissions officer would outwardly admit it. I feel like I have seen research that it might indeed do just that though. I imagine such research is just a google search away.

If handle bar mustache, please don't lose it for a silly interview.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:17 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:Understanding it's probably more idiosyncratic, how much would you estimate, on average, an EDO improves your chances for admission? (Particularly in the 15-25 range, if you were at approximately both medians).

Will, there isn't much of a bump at most schools for applying ED, you are correct. There is a blog at our website that addresses this numerically provided by my buddy El Terrible. Your quick analysis is pretty spot-on although it might not have to be both scores about 75% to get in ED.

There also a good deal of talk on TLS including in this thread about it. Sorry this thread requires some mucking around to find. I thought about starting a "Part II" thread but if you think about it, that would make this information more difficult to find not easier, so I think we are going to roll with this eternally.

Everyone who signs up with us, btw, gets a free consult before they do and often this involves heavy discussion on applying ED 9among other things).

I appreciate the response, thanks!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:51 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Harry Belafonte wrote:Thank you for all the time you've put into this amazing thread.

Karen can chime in too but I doubt it does consciously. I doubt a single admissions officer would outwardly admit it. I feel like I have seen research that it might indeed do just that though. I imagine such research is just a google search away.

If handle bar mustache, please don't lose it for a silly interview.

In general, it really doesn't matter. But what are we talking here, mutton chops? star-burns?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:54 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:First, thank you Mike and Karen for all the answers you've given in this thread. Been reading it for a while.

I think it's fine to just list the Latin honors.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:00 am

littleaaron wrote:I'm noticing that there are a few optional essays that seem to want similar answers. For example, there might be four essays, and one might say "how have you been shaped by your past experiences" and another might say "tell how you might add to the culture at X school because of your diversity".

I'm making these up, of course.

But these could theoretically both be answered by an essay that talks about how you grew up poor and a minority and it shaped your worldview. In this case, or in similar cases, are you obligated to write two separate essays and make sure they're distinct, or should you just do one? Or, can you write one essay and just say, this answers questions one and two?

What's best here?

thanks mike and karen!

These are optional essays; you should probably only submit one. In general, you shouldn't submit multiple essays that say the same thing. The same person is going to read all of your essays so you don't want them to experience deja vu while reading your app.

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:45 am

If one is reapplying to a school, how important is it to submit a PS on an entirely new subject?

I applied a couple of years ago and was happy with my essays then. Would it be a bad idea to send in an edited version of the old one? Will it look sloppy or seem too familiar to the person reading my app if the school(s) still have my old app on file?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:10 am

teampeeta wrote:If one is reapplying to a school, how important is it to submit a PS on an entirely new subject?

I applied a couple of years ago and was happy with my essays then. Would it be a bad idea to send in an edited version of the old one? Will it look sloppy or seem too familiar to the person reading my app if the school(s) still have my old app on file?

team,

That is another school specific thing but I would advise against it. Some schools see it as lazy or uninformative (for the record I did not see it that way when I read files) so I would not risk it. Sorry, I know it's no fun writing one, much less two.

-Mike

ganja

Postby ganja » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:17 am

Mike, is it generally easier for someone to negotiate stipulations on a scholarship when he or she is well above above both 75th percentiles? I would think the school would try to hold on to such an applicant to raise it's numbers as much as it can especially with applications plummeting

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”