Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

Dr. Dre

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officer

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:39 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:Hello,

How much is the AA boost at HLS? Why does HLS value diversity so much?

-Dr. Dre

The formula is:
[(3x^2-27)divided by 4)] times[ 8x^2) divided by(9-3x)]divided by [(x^2+3x) divided by 6]

You, I like you.

Yes, I like her too.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:48 am

Awesome Karen.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:44 am

I'm interested in knowing a bit about how grad school work is looked at. My understanding is that, in general, if you do well, it's a marginal boost and if you do poorly it is a serious concern.

Are there any schools that noticeably consider grad work as more important than the majority of schools? In general, what kind of GPAs/percentages (for those who studied in a percentage-based country) would be needed for schools very competitive to begin worrying?

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:11 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
bouleversement wrote:Mike and Karen,

Why do you suppose some schools have yet to release class profile information? Is this typical for mid-October?

It is mind-boggling to me, I have never seen anything close to it. No idea.

Interesting Mike. Thanks. I thought it was atypical.

Would enjoy knowing your thoughts on this as well Karen when you have the time.

sancho

Postby sancho » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Mike and Karen,

I obtained three letters of recommendation in 2011 when I was going to first apply. I will be applying this cycle with four different letters (from the same people, one of them targeted). As such, my LSAC account has L1, L2, L3, L4, L5, L6, and L7 on file. It just so happens (poor planning I guess) that L7 is my targeted letter. Is the school that this letter is being sent to going to think the targeted letter is not so special if they find I have six other letters on file?

Thank you!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:16 pm

Seoulless wrote:I'm interested in knowing a bit about how grad school work is looked at. My understanding is that, in general, if you do well, it's a marginal boost and if you do poorly it is a serious concern.

Are there any schools that noticeably consider grad work as more important than the majority of schools? In general, what kind of GPAs/percentages (for those who studied in a percentage-based country) would be needed for schools very competitive to begin worrying?

Your understanding is pretty much right. I don't know about specific schools who care the most about grad school work -- all will care more about the undergraduate work because that is what is reported to the ABA. If you are asking for a GPA floor below which schools worry about your ability to succeed in law school - that will vary from school to school, so it's not an easy answer.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:17 pm

bouleversement wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
bouleversement wrote:Mike and Karen,

Why do you suppose some schools have yet to release class profile information? Is this typical for mid-October?

It is mind-boggling to me, I have never seen anything close to it. No idea.

Interesting Mike. Thanks. I thought it was atypical.

Would enjoy knowing your thoughts on this as well Karen when you have the time.

I'm a bit surprised at this myself.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:19 pm

sancho wrote:Mike and Karen,

I obtained three letters of recommendation in 2011 when I was going to first apply. I will be applying this cycle with four different letters (from the same people, one of them targeted). As such, my LSAC account has L1, L2, L3, L4, L5, L6, and L7 on file. It just so happens (poor planning I guess) that L7 is my targeted letter. Is the school that this letter is being sent to going to think the targeted letter is not so special if they find I have six other letters on file?

Thank you!

Schools are not going to know that you have 7 letters on file. you are fine.

sancho

Postby sancho » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:18 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
sancho wrote:Mike and Karen,

Thank you!

Schools are not going to know that you have 7 letters on file. you are fine.

Oh, great news! Thanks Karen!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:41 pm

If you are bored, have fun with editing this for mistakes, both structural and strategic, and let's see what you find. I stopped counting at 15.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wisconsi ... er-2013-10

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:34 pm

UW-Milwaukee ... doen't surprise me

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:39 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:If you are bored, have fun with editing this for mistakes, both structural and strategic, and let's see what you find. I stopped counting at 15.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wisconsi ... er-2013-10

The best part about that email is the use of emoticons as punctuation.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:47 pm

The entire thing is an epic fail but for some reason I chuckle the most at "Hey Bob" as a salutation for a possible employer.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:51 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:The entire thing is an epic fail but for some reason I chuckle the most at "Hey Bob" as a salutation for a possible employer.

More so than the awkward zit introduction?!

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:13 pm

kay2016 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:The entire thing is an epic fail but for some reason I chuckle the most at "Hey Bob" as a salutation for a possible employer.

More so than the awkward zit introduction?!

Yeah, that zit thing made me cringe for so many reasons.

haus

Postby haus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:UW-Milwaukee ... doen't surprise me

UW-Milwaukee is easily among the best 15 colleges in the Univeristy of Wisconsin system.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:01 am

With the NYC Forum coming up I thought I would answer a lot of questions I have been getting "YES, I think you should go"

Here are some reasons why you should go and advice for these events I wrote about roughly a month ago.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/forums ... e-or-draw/

Also, don't try to sell and admissions representative a watch at the event. True story --it happened to me at my first ever NYC Forum in 2000.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:31 am

MikeSpivey wrote:With the NYC Forum coming up I thought I would answer a lot of questions I have been getting "YES, I think you should go"

Here are some reasons why you should go and advice for these events I wrote about roughly a month ago.

Also, don't try to sell and admissions representative a watch at the event. True story --it happened to me at my first ever NYC Forum in 2000.

:shock:

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:44 am

MikeSpivey wrote:With the NYC Forum coming up I thought I would answer a lot of questions I have been getting "YES, I think you should go"

Or ask them on a date :shock:

esrom55

Postby esrom55 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:48 am

Hey Mike/Karen-

First of all, I really appreciate all the helpful advice. I had two questions regarding these forums.

I'm signed up for the Boston Forum and am getting tons of emails from schools stating they hope I stop by the table. Are these spam messages sent out to anyone registered to go? Or does the school target specific applicants similar to how they approach fee waivers? I'm assuming the former, but was curious.

Secondly, I'm trying to decide whether or not to haul these bottles of home brew with my resume on the label to this forum. But seriously, is there any advantage to having a business card, resume or other item to be able to hand over when talking with the reps? Or should I limit trying to stay on their radar with the simple follow up email?

Thanks!

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Or ask them on a date :shock:

Do tell them that you think they're YUMMY, though.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:04 pm

esrom55 wrote:

Hey Mike/Karen-

First of all, I really appreciate all the helpful advice. I had two questions regarding these forums.

I'm signed up for the Boston Forum and am getting tons of emails from schools stating they hope I stop by the table. Are these spam messages sent out to anyone registered to go? Or does the school target specific applicants similar to how they approach fee waivers? I'm assuming the former, but was curious.

Secondly, I'm trying to decide whether or not to haul these bottles of home brew with my resume on the label to this forum. But seriously, is there any advantage to having a business card, resume or other item to be able to hand over when talking with the reps? Or should I limit trying to stay on their radar with the simple follow up email?

Thanks!

Best idea ever.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:00 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
I do have a question you could answer though (I wouldn't want to leave you hanging ;)): when you guys say that it's probably not going to make a huge difference to increase one's score once you are already above a school's 75th percentile LSAT, does that include people who are at the 75th percentile? A, uh, friend of mine is sitting at a particular T3 school's 75th percentile (it rhymes with Marvard, but that's the only hint you get) and has a below 25th GPA. She's wondering if it might be worth retaking, given that she thinks she could probably squeak out at least a point or two more. Thoughts?

I dont think it's worth retaking. The only reason to retake is if you thought that the school was trying to improve their numbers. I really don't think that's the case with this application cycle.

Cheers,
Karen

KarenButtenbaum wrote:Err, sorry! I'm going to blame my iPhone and my reluctance to get reading glasses. I thought we were still on the 75th on both. If your "friend" can get a 177, for example, it will be more attractive to the reader than a 175 when she is below the 25th on GPA.

Oh, no! There was a glorious minute there before I scrolled down where I thought I didn't need to retake. Blergh, so the decision to retake or not remains..

Thanks for your help! (And wish me luck..)

W$RKliveWELL

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Hello Mike & Karen even though Im not a frequent poster I've been following the forum and really appreciate the advice given. I have a quick question.

I'm a re-applicant to law school after graduating undergrad early last year and being accepted into a few law schools but ultimately I decided I wanted to strive for T14 vs T20. The glaring weakness in my resume is my LSAT score so I took this past year to study for the exam while also getting a yr of work experience at a firm under my belt and ultimately I think I did way better on the exam. My question is in regard to the personal statement/diversity statement a lot of the schools im applying to are ones I was previously denied admission or wait listed wait. They do not require new statements but leave it up to me if I want to. Do you suggest all new statements? I worked hard on them last year and feel as if they are well written but I dont want to submit the exact same application. How are the same materials submitted again viewed?

Also Im interested in the previous post is it a bad idea to bring resumes to the NY forum?

Thanks in advance for your help

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Do tell them that you think they're YUMMY, though.

Yes, tell them all that it because won't spread around as they bus up together to do the Boston Forum :) I'm not kidding, btw, admissions officers travel together.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”