Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

What movie should we all watch at the Spivey Consulting Firm Retreat?

The Town
13%
Interstellar
39%
Cabin in the Woods
25%
Logan
22%

Total votes: 178

MikeSpivey

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:39 pm

jimmyplayer601 wrote:Will there be an update soon about number of applicants and lsat data of the applicant pool?

We literally stop what we are doing the second we get one and put it up. So I promise you if we get it, the update will be up within 15-20 minutes after we get it and we generally tweet the link first, then find the messages boards to put it on. We just have only received one so far and it isn't or data.

I suspect there will be another update in the next week or so but thats just a guess.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:25 pm

spglasses wrote:Hi, Mike. Thanks for hosting this thread.

If the ABA does do away with the requirement for a standardized test, do you see that affecting the value of the LSAT in admissions? If so, how?

I'm going to try to write a blog on this. It's complicated. And this is our busiest tie of year but it's been on my mind a ton and I have been talking to former colleagues and deans of law schools about it.

I will say that people who would really know seem to think the ABA will indeed end that requirement.

spglasses

Postby spglasses » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:21 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

If the ABA does do away with the requirement for a standardized test, do you see that affecting the value of the LSAT in admissions? If so, how?

I'm going to try to write a blog on this. It's complicated. And this is our busiest tie of year but it's been on my mind a ton and I have been talking to former colleagues and deans of law schools about it.

I will say that people who would really know seem to think the ABA will indeed end that requirement.

I'll wait for that blog. Though it does worry me that you say "it's complicated," given that it had relieved a lot of my stress (and that of other splitters) when you had previously said not much would change regarding the LSAT's value in the next couple of years (this was before the relevant ABA news).

MonicaYoung_LOL

Postby MonicaYoung_LOL » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:28 am

Any sense of when we can expect the next wave of acceptances from HYS? And the first wave from Columbia and Chicago?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:44 am

spglasses wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

I'll wait for that blog. Though it does worry me that you say "it's complicated," given that it had relieved a lot of my stress (and that of other splitters) when you had previously said not much would change regarding the LSAT's value in the next couple of years (this was before the relevant ABA news).

Well, I probable said "I think not much will change" rather than "not much will change" as I tend to rarely speak in absolutes. I will say that I still think that not much will change this year and for most schools.

The reason I say it is complicated is because everyone I talk to has no idea what's going to happen. So I've had some almost intense discussions on the matter.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 am

jimmyplayer601 wrote:Will there be an update soon about number of applicants and lsat data of the applicant pool?

Your powers are mighty. At 5am MST we just got some new data. It's also in a new format so trying to figure it all out.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:09 am

MikeSpivey wrote:

Your powers are mighty. At 5am MST we just got some new data. It's also in a new format so trying to figure it all out.

There isn't any LSAT data in this update fyi.

spglasses

Postby spglasses » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:52 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Well, I probable said "I think not much will change" rather than "not much will change" as I tend to rarely speak in absolutes. I will say that I still think that not much will change this year and for most schools.

The reason I say it is complicated is because everyone I talk to has no idea what's going to happen. So I've had some almost intense discussions on the matter.

When you say “this year” does that mean you think the likelihood of things changing “much” next cycle is significantly higher?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:05 am

spglasses wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Well, I probable said "I think not much will change" rather than "not much will change" as I tend to rarely speak in absolutes. I will say that I still think that not much will change this year and for most schools.

When you say “this year” does that mean you think the likelihood of things changing “much” next cycle is significantly higher?

Do you have an hour or so before you have to make a decision to apply this cycle or next?

spglasses

Postby spglasses » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:09 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
spglasses wrote:

Do you have an hour or so before you have to make a decision to apply this cycle or next?

Yes haha :lol:

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:23 pm

spglasses wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
spglasses wrote:

Yes haha :lol:

Dammit, I missed your deadline :) . I am seeing some admissions deans this week will try to get blog out right after I do.

spglasses

Postby spglasses » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:00 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Dammit, I missed your deadline :) . I am seeing some admissions deans this week will try to get blog out right after I do.

No worries. I'll try to focus on the LSAT for the next few days instead of refreshing your blog like I've been doing for the past couple of hours. Cheers :mrgreen:

spglasses

Postby spglasses » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 pm

spglasses wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Dammit, I missed your deadline :) . I am seeing some admissions deans this week will try to get blog out right after I do.

No worries. I'll try to focus on the LSAT for the next few days instead of refreshing your blog like I've been doing for the past couple of hours. Thanks again and cheers :mrgreen:

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:29 pm

dan9257 wrote:
DerekMeeker wrote:
dan9257 wrote:Hi Spivey Consulting,

I submitted the app in October and was waitlisted at Cornell a few weeks ago. When is it ideal to send a LOCI?

Thank you and happy new year! :D

Happy New Year! Since you got wait-listed early in the cycle, my advice is to send an LOCI by the end of this month/early Feb. Then send a second, brief restatement of interest (with any new info/updates) in early May, just before the time they will most likely begin reviewing the wait list.

Thank you so much! I will send a LOCI by the end of this month. I am also curious whether schools can retract the acceptance offer? I am accepted to one of my top choices but am retaking in Feb for 5th take (I know it sounds crazy but I chose to do it because even scoring 1-2 points higher would make a significant difference for me). If the worst scenario happened and I score even lower than the current score (and especially b/c it's a 5th take), can the school change their mind and retract the acceptance...?

Thank you

Yes, they can retract an acceptance offer, but they rarely do. It would take something far more serious than dropping a few points on an LSAT retake (e.g., character and fitness issue that occurs after the acceptance -- or one that applicant failed to initially disclose, substantial drop in grades if the applicant is still in school, etc.).

appind

Postby appind » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 am

hi former admissions officers,

now that Harvard has already sent some acceptances this cycle and has interviewed several GRE applicants, has there been any clarity or data by admissions on how GRE score percentile combinations compare to LSAT scores (eg how different gre section percentiles stand with respect to lsat percentiles) and if gre verbal is going to be emphasized over quant?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:02 pm

After speaking with multiple deans, admissions friends, and the CEO of Powerscore -- none of us believe that the value of the LSaT will be affected in the short term, particularly for schools higher in the rankings. I personally think there will be a slow devaluation of the LSAT relative to where it stands now for the majority of law schools, over time. But it all hinges on USNWR, who is being vague.

DKilloranPowerScore

Postby DKilloranPowerScore » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

After speaking with multiple deans, admissions friends, and the CEO of Powerscore -- none of us believe that the value of the LSaT will be affected in the short term, particularly for schools higher in the rankings. I personally think there will be a slow devaluation of the LSAT relative to where it stands now for the majority of law schools, over time. But it all hinges on USNWR, who is being vague.

If I can add a thought about the meaning of "short term," to me that includes next year's admissions period. I don't think much will change next year (and I'm hearing the same from the contacts I have, something I shared with Mike earlier today), in part because none of this is final yet, and in a transition period people tend to stick with what they know (which is the LSAT). Three years from now things will probably be different, but there isn't going to be a dramatic change overnight, so perhaps that's some measure of reassurance for those of you in this cycle or the next one.

of2273

Postby of2273 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi Mike! Quick question for you. During one of my semesters in undergrad I got pretty bad mono and was advised to take a lighter course load. So I ended up dropping one of my classes mid-semester and managed to get A's in my other classes. I don't have a grade for that class that I dropped, but it shows on my transcript that I dropped it. I've already applied, but do you think this merits an addendum that I should email?

spglasses

Postby spglasses » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

DKilloranPowerScore wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

If I can add a thought about the meaning of "short term," to me that includes next year's admissions period. I don't think much will change next year (and I'm hearing the same from the contacts I have, something I shared with Mike earlier today), in part because none of this is final yet, and in a transition period people tend to stick with what they know (which is the LSAT). Three years from now things will probably be different, but there isn't going to be a dramatic change overnight, so perhaps that's some measure of reassurance for those of you in this cycle or the next one.

Got it. I'll just keep chugging at my June LSAT prep then. Thanks for both of your inputs. :mrgreen:

danielleearly

Postby danielleearly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:19 pm

appind wrote:hi former admissions officers,

now that Harvard has already sent some acceptances this cycle and has interviewed several GRE applicants, has there been any clarity or data by admissions on how GRE score percentile combinations compare to LSAT scores (eg how different gre section percentiles stand with respect to lsat percentiles) and if gre verbal is going to be emphasized over quant?

Unfortunately, we likely won't really be able to tell this until the end of the cycle. The numbers of people admitted thus far are just too small to assume anything about the overall strategy.

~Danielle

danielleearly

Postby danielleearly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm

of2273 wrote:Hi Mike! Quick question for you. During one of my semesters in undergrad I got pretty bad mono and was advised to take a lighter course load. So I ended up dropping one of my classes mid-semester and managed to get A's in my other classes. I don't have a grade for that class that I dropped, but it shows on my transcript that I dropped it. I've already applied, but do you think this merits an addendum that I should email?

One dropped class on your transcript won't cause much pause for an admissions officer especially as you received such good grades in the remaining courses. It isn't necessary to send in an addendum about it.

~Danielle

GoingBackToSchool

Postby GoingBackToSchool » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 am

dan9257 wrote:Hi Spivey team!

I submitted by apps in October but decided to retake in February. I applied to some schools (Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, Penn) that are beyond reach with my current score (mid 160) so I was wondering if it is a good idea to hold my apps until the Feb exam score is out? Or should I rather just let them review my file with the current score and ask them to re-evaluate my app if they reject me before the Feb score is out?

Thank you so much! :)

Hello Mr. Spivey - Curious if there was an answer to this question. Thank you.

GoingBackToSchool

Postby GoingBackToSchool » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:36 am

Hello Spivey team - I'm curious to know who your clients are. Are your clients mostly top students who need their applications polished for the top law schools? Or perhaps they are middle of the road students or do you take in applicants who are below the 25% percentile? I ask because I'm thinking of asking for more information re your admission packages but I am applicant who has a low GPA and had a low LSAT in September. I have strong "softs" and I'm quite diversified but I don't know if you would even consider me as a client. Thanks for your advice.

dan9257

Postby dan9257 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 am

Hi Spivey,

Columbia Law asks for an LSAT addendum if a candidate took the exam more than once. I have 4 scores on my file but the each time the score increased only by 1 point...what is the best way to explain the multiple takes in this case?

Thank you

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:12 pm

dan9257 wrote:Hi Spivey,

Columbia Law asks for an LSAT addendum if a candidate took the exam more than once. I have 4 scores on my file but the each time the score increased only by 1 point...what is the best way to explain the multiple takes in this case?

Thank you

Unfortunately we can't give individual advice to for individual schools like this. Just be rather concise.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”