Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

What movie should we all watch at the Spivey Consulting Firm Retreat?

The Town
13%
Interstellar
40%
Cabin in the Woods
25%
Logan
22%

Total votes: 158

MikeSpivey

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:18 am

dan9257 wrote:Hi Spivey!

Is a higher score from Feb LSAT (at or above median) better than the lower score (at or below median) from December LSAT (assuming at or above GPA)? I know even a slightly better score from December LSAT is better than submitting apps with June/September scores but does this also apply to Feb LSAT? I am aiming for T10.

Thank you so much!

I can't exactly answer as an absolute but of I were below a median in December I'd much rather be at or above in Feb. Not sure why not just the both if you are already above one median. Go for December see what happens and you always have Feb if your results are a bunch of WL's or denies (denies can be reconsidered with a new score at almost all schools).

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 am

Dybbuk wrote:Hello, I have a question that I've been hoping to get an answer for from someone with actual law school admission experience. How is being LGBT viewed when deciding the fate of an applicant? TLS conventional wisdom seems to range from it having little to no impact, to it being a "soft" with some, small ability to improve your chances - whIch is so vague as to be pretty much unhelpful, and leaves a fair amount of uncertainty as to which schools to be aiming for. I am not expecting it to give the sort of boost that a real URM applicant gets, but in your experience, how much, if any, of a boost would an LGBT splitter that is at or slightly below the LSAT medians of T20/T14 schools get? Asking for a friend.

Well, my answer won't be that helpful ether but it is the all to often used "it depends." For many schools someone who is LGBTQ will be strongly considered for a boost, but I think they key, as it is for all admissions diversity, isn't so much "I am this" but rather "because of this experience I see things and others this way." The more you can articulate how it has opened your mind to viewing different perspectives or overcoming specific challenges that have helped develop your outlook at a person, the more boost you may get. School value diversity but not just because of diversity in and of itself, but because how it have already helped opens someones viewpoint.

I hope this helps!

Mike

Postby 30571517 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Hello! I need some advice re: one of my apps. I am a borderline RD applicant for school X. After submitting, I decided to switch my application from RD to ED for a series of reasons. This particular school requires you to e-mail requesting such a change, and then they then send you a template ED contract for your signature. However, moments after I received the ED contract, I got some favorable admission information from another school which had made me reconsider this ED switch. My ED switch had not yet been inputted into my application at school X, since I have not signed and delivered my ED contract. My questions are: (A) if I did decide to reconsider this ED switch, would it be better to send school X an e-mail stating that I actually wish to keep my application under RD review, or simply let the ED deadline elapse with no further action?; and (B) how much would my RD application suffer as a result?

Thank you for your advice!

mwells56

Postby mwells56 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:34 pm

I'm an ED applicant to Columbia and they just requested my fall grades. No interview request. These grades won't be available until about Christmas time. Does this mean they're pushing me in with the RD candidates?

tuna_wasabi

Postby tuna_wasabi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:54 am

Hi Spivey, would appreciate your thoughts on this:

1. Is it okay to write something that happened before college? I think the most similar essay that came to mind is "Jazzy the cat" story, but without the legal aspect of it. I was hoping that my stats, (174/4.10/good softs), would help.
2. Is applying at the end of November considered late for financial aid purposes?

Thanks in advance!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:03 pm

tuna_wasabi wrote:Hi Spivey, would appreciate your thoughts on this:

1. Is it okay to write something that happened before college? I think the most similar essay that came to mind is "Jazzy the cat" story, but without the legal aspect of it. I was hoping that my stats, (174/4.10/good softs), would help.
2. Is applying at the end of November considered late for financial aid purposes?

Thanks in advance!

1. Keep in mind I'm not telling you to do this, because I don't know your story, but I will say I have had hundreds of clients write about things that happened before college, so that singular factor, in and of itself, isn't a concern to me.

2. Not even close to late.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:04 pm

30571517 wrote:Hello! I need some advice re: one of my apps. I am a borderline RD applicant for school X. After submitting, I decided to switch my application from RD to ED for a series of reasons. This particular school requires you to e-mail requesting such a change, and then they then send you a template ED contract for your signature. However, moments after I received the ED contract, I got some favorable admission information from another school which had made me reconsider this ED switch. My ED switch had not yet been inputted into my application at school X, since I have not signed and delivered my ED contract. My questions are: (A) if I did decide to reconsider this ED switch, would it be better to send school X an e-mail stating that I actually wish to keep my application under RD review, or simply let the ED deadline elapse with no further action?; and (B) how much would my RD application suffer as a result?

Thank you for your advice!

I'd just call and say you weren't sure of the ramifications of each, could you please keep you as RD for the cycle.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:50 am

mwells56 wrote:I'm an ED applicant to Columbia and they just requested my fall grades. No interview request. These grades won't be available until about Christmas time. Does this mean they're pushing me in with the RD candidates?

I believe they do this from time to time (but things can change any cycle so what I am saying isn't 100% guaranteed --which is one reason we often hesitate to answer questions abut any one specific school on these forums) if they have some or one concern(s) about an academic record. The applicant stays in the ED pool, but a decision won't be rendered until the fall grades come in and are processed and reviewed, so likely early January. If they move you to RD they high likely will tell you as soon as they do.

LesPaul1995

Postby LesPaul1995 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:24 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Spivey! Given the increased amount of LSAT takers and increased apps per applicant (though there is a decrease in overall applicants), will this negatively affect late apps, i.e. Feb LSAT, & March ‘18 apps, moreso than in recent years? A former law dean stated that it may not be as detrimental, given that schools can more confidently delay acceptances later into the cycle due to the upsurge in apps. Apropos to your response, how might a late app this cycle be affected if one were a URM?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:41 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:Happy Thanksgiving, Spivey! Given the increased amount of LSAT takers and increased apps per applicant (though there is a decrease in overall applicants), will this negatively affect late apps, i.e. Feb LSAT, & March ‘18 apps, moreso than in recent years? A former law dean stated that it may not be as detrimental, given that schools can more confidently delay acceptances later into the cycle due to the upsurge in apps. Apropos to your response, how might a late app this cycle be affected if one were a URM?

Wait. Why do you think less overall applicants?

LesPaul1995

Postby LesPaul1995 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:54 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:Happy Thanksgiving, Spivey! Given the increased amount of LSAT takers and increased apps per applicant (though there is a decrease in overall applicants), will this negatively affect late apps, i.e. Feb LSAT, & March ‘18 apps, moreso than in recent years? A former law dean stated that it may not be as detrimental, given that schools can more confidently delay acceptances later into the cycle due to the upsurge in apps. Apropos to your response, how might a late app this cycle be affected if one were a URM?

Well I was assuming there would be, following last years trend. But it looks like I may be wrong with the increased test takers.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:58 am

LesPaul1995 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Well I was assuming there would be, following last years trend. But it looks like I may be wrong with the increased test takers.

Let me be blunt. This is something about these message boards that has driven me crazy for about 10 years -- heck it was one of the reasons I started the company. You basically just posted a statement "though there is a decrease in overall applicants" attributed it to statements about this cycle, and stated it as a fact. And you want to be a lawyer? The problem is one person reads that, then says it somewhere else, then someone says it on reddit, etc. You see where I am going with this right? Applicants will 99% likely be up this cycle. So I'm not even sure how to answer your question...I know this sounds hostile it's not meant to be, I just don't have a real starting point. Happy to answer it the way it is worded (which would then be different and much more likely a bad and false answer), or the way I have posited. Just let me know.

slurp

Postby slurp » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:41 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Let me be blunt. This is something about these message boards that has driven me crazy for about 10 years -- heck it was one of the reasons I started the company. You basically just posted a statement "though there is a decrease in overall applicants" attributed it to statements about this cycle, and stated it as a fact. And you want to be a lawyer? The problem is one person reads that, then says it somewhere else, then someone says it on reddit, etc. You see where I am going with this right? Applicants will 99% likely be up this cycle. So I'm not even sure how to answer your question...I know this sounds hostile it's not meant to be, I just don't have a real starting point. Happy to answer it the way it is worded (which would then be different and much more likely a bad and false answer), or the way I have posited. Just let me know.

i would love to see you answer it the way it is worded. let's confuse the shit out of 0Ls

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:39 am

slurp wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Let me be blunt. This is something about these message boards that has driven me crazy for about 10 years -- heck it was one of the reasons I started the company. You basically just posted a statement "though there is a decrease in overall applicants" attributed it to statements about this cycle, and stated it as a fact. And you want to be a lawyer? The problem is one person reads that, then says it somewhere else, then someone says it on reddit, etc. You see where I am going with this right? Applicants will 99% likely be up this cycle. So I'm not even sure how to answer your question...I know this sounds hostile it's not meant to be, I just don't have a real starting point. Happy to answer it the way it is worded (which would then be different and much more likely a bad and false answer), or the way I have posited. Just let me know.

i would love to see you answer it the way it is worded. let's confuse the shit out of 0Ls

I gave it sincere thought but then I remember when I posted this at 12:01m April 1 and someone went absolutely ballistic on here and then hate emails started pouring in (mostly because of the ballistic kids posts)

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/toys/

etramak

Postby etramak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:48 am

Can someone tell me exactly when "late" is? Is early December still late, even though you're getting in ahead of the Dec LSAT takers?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:49 pm

etramak wrote:Can someone tell me exactly when "late" is? Is early December still late, even though you're getting in ahead of the Dec LSAT takers?

This is that, but in like incredible detail:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/podcas ... ons-cycle/

LesPaul1995

Postby LesPaul1995 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:25 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Let me be blunt. This is something about these message boards that has driven me crazy for about 10 years -- heck it was one of the reasons I started the company. You basically just posted a statement "though there is a decrease in overall applicants" attributed it to statements about this cycle, and stated it as a fact. And you want to be a lawyer? The problem is one person reads that, then says it somewhere else, then someone says it on reddit, etc. You see where I am going with this right? Applicants will 99% likely be up this cycle. So I'm not even sure how to answer your question...I know this sounds hostile it's not meant to be, I just don't have a real starting point. Happy to answer it the way it is worded (which would then be different and much more likely a bad and false answer), or the way I have posited. Just let me know.

I completely understand. Indeed, for the sake of brevity, I actually deleted “I believe” after that clause in my OP, but now I understand that it was a mistake, lol. So, pretend I inserted “I believe” in my OP, and please give me your thoughts (even though my “belief” may be incorrect ;) ; thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Well I was assuming there would be, following last years trend. But it looks like I may be wrong with the increased test takers.[/quote]

completely understand. Indeed, for the sake of brevity, I actually deleted “I believe” after that clause in my OP, but now I understand that it was a mistake, lol. So, pretend I inserted “I believe” in my OP, and please give me your thoughts (even though my “belief” may be incorrect ;) ; thanks![/quote]

Okay well first let me please help you here some. LSAT test-takers and first time test takers are way up, to levels we haven't seen in years https://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data ... ministered). Forum attendance is also up and its been on a long glide path downward, so this is even more rare. This all gives us early data on APPLICANTS. But we have zero reason to know if these extra applicants will apply to more schools per individual. So your thinking seems kinda backwards (although in the scheme of TLS thinking you didn't ask me 6,000 times from 500 different accounts 87 days in a row if we are in a counter-cycle, so all good)

What we can say, with a great deal of confidence, is there will be more applicants and thus highly likely more applications as well. This tends to mean more people are admitted early, and, assuming a similar number of seats to fill per law school (which may or may not be a fair assumption basically most law schools would love to increase class size as long as they don't expense medians), a more competitive cycle in general and will be even more so Jan- March as admissions deans are fearful of over-enrollment.

But we will get a whole bunch of data around Dec. 15th and can make much better cycle predictions then.
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowyo

Postby lowyo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:12 pm

completely understand. Indeed, for the sake of brevity, I actually deleted “I believe” after that clause in my OP, but now I understand that it was a mistake, lol. So, pretend I inserted “I believe” in my OP, and please give me your thoughts (even though my “belief” may be incorrect ;) ; thanks!

Okay well first let me please help you here some. LSAT test-takers and first time test takers are way up, to levels we haven't seen in years https://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data ... ministered). Forum attendance is also up and its been on a long glide path downward, so this is even more rare. This all gives us early data on APPLICANTS. But we have zero reason to know if these extra applicants will apply to more schools per individual. So you thinking seems kinda backwards (although in the scheme of TLS thinking you didn't ask me 6,000 times from 500 different accounts 87 days in a row if we are in a counter-cycle, so all good)

What we can say, with a great deal of confidence, is there will be more applicants and thus highly likely more applications as well. This tends to mean more people are admitted early, and, assuming a similar number of seats to fill per law school (which may or may not be a fair assumption basically most law schools would love to increase class size as long as they don't expense medians), a more competitive cycle in general and will be even more so Jan- March as admissions deans are fearful of over-enrollment.

But we will get a whole bunch of data around Dec. 15th and can make much better cycle predictions then.

I thought the prevailing wisdom is that when apps are scheduled to be up schools take a longer time to make decisions as they are waiting to see how the applicant pool stacks up. Is that incorrect?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:21 pm

lowyo wrote:

completely understand. Indeed, for the sake of brevity, I actually deleted “I believe” after that clause in my OP, but now I understand that it was a mistake, lol. So, pretend I inserted “I believe” in my OP, and please give me your thoughts (even though my “belief” may be incorrect ;) ; thanks!

Okay well first let me please help you here some. LSAT test-takers and first time test takers are way up, to levels we haven't seen in years https://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data ... ministered). Forum attendance is also up and its been on a long glide path downward, so this is even more rare. This all gives us early data on APPLICANTS. But we have zero reason to know if these extra applicants will apply to more schools per individual. So you thinking seems kinda backwards (although in the scheme of TLS thinking you didn't ask me 6,000 times from 500 different accounts 87 days in a row if we are in a counter-cycle, so all good)

I thought the prevailing wisdom is that when apps are scheduled to be up schools take a longer time to make decisions as they are waiting to see how the applicant pool stacks up. Is that incorrect?

That's highly variable per school. Some would much rather gooble up as many good applicants early as possible. Indeed you are already seeing it from a number of schools.

fohner

Postby fohner » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:20 am

I have 3 years of work experience from before undergrad. It's just retail. Is this a decent soft? Obviously it's less interesting than a job that requires a college degree, but my hope is that it's unique. I briefly touch on why I didn't start college right away in my PS (events out of my control). I'm applying to most of the T14. Am I wrong to think this stands out to adcoms?

ticket

Postby ticket » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Spivey, do you think we'll have a wave of YLS admis pre-Christmas again this year? Any admissions changes to expect with the new dean in place? Or is she expected to continue with Asha's process?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:12 pm

ticket wrote:Spivey, do you think we'll have a wave of YLS admis pre-Christmas again this year? Any admissions changes to expect with the new dean in place? Or is she expected to continue with Asha's process?

I guess my gut says "yes" but entirely on instinct I have no real insider information here. You did remind me of a blog I write on how long it takes for a decision to be rendered and since that seems like more people are asking about that this cycle (or, likely just more applicants), seems like a good time to share:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/how-lo ... o-be-read/

ArthurTimothyRead

Postby ArthurTimothyRead » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:26 am

Two questions for the wonderful Mr. Spivey!

Do schools see/care about how often you check your application status? I'm sure it's not likely a big deal if so, but I also worry that it may come across as impatient/unprofessional if someone (most certainly not me x_x) is checking five times per day.

Secondly, I submitted my application to Harvard a few weeks ago, and my application went to complete within 24 hours of submitting. I haven't seen anyone else shift status so quickly; is this indicative of me being an "extreme" candidate (remarkably strong or exceptionally weak,) or is it more likely that I just got lucky and submitted during a dry period/right before the cutoff for a wave?

Thank you so much :)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 am

ArthurTimothyRead wrote:Two questions for the wonderful Mr. Spivey!

Do schools see/care about how often you check your application status? I'm sure it's not likely a big deal if so, but I also worry that it may come across as impatient/unprofessional if someone (most certainly not me x_x) is checking five times per day.

They can. Someone a few years ago checked their GULC account more than 1,500 in a day, and I posted that ad then some clever person here committed it was like once every 1.3 waking minutes or something. So that would likely hurt your chances a good deal. 5 a day is totally fine.

Secondly, I submitted my application to Harvard a few weeks ago, and my application went to complete within 24 hours of submitting. I haven't seen anyone else shift status so quickly; is this indicative of me being an "extreme" candidate (remarkably strong or exceptionally weak,) or is it more likely that I just got lucky and submitted during a dry period/right before the cutoff for a wave?

I think you just kinda got lucky actually. Flowing trough that process depends on how busy the people who complete your file are -- maybe you hit them on a good day.

Thank you so much :)

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”