Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

What movie should we all watch at the Spivey Consulting Firm Retreat?

The Town
5
7%
Interstellar
24
36%
Cabin in the Woods
18
27%
Logan
20
30%
 
Total votes: 67

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu May 04, 2017 9:53 am

Royals3535 wrote:Hey Mike,

I kept telling myself that I wouldn't worry about this until after the June 12th LSAT, but it's hanging over my head. So, quick question on letters of recommendation. I have heard that you pretty much need one from a former professor unless you've been out of school for several years. When I send applications in this October/November it will be three years since I graduated. I never really formed any close relationships with professors and I doubt they will remember me. I was going to reach out to some old professors and ask, but that will result in, at best, Student X was in my class several years ago and did very well...I have nothing else to add. So the three COAs I'm considering:
1) get two letters or recommendations from commanding officers I've served under. My former CO has already said he will write an excellent one, but the issue is no academic letter.
2) reach out to old professors and get a most likely general, bland letter and hope it doesn't effect the overall application
3) quickly enroll in a random undergrad summer weekend class at the university in town, do well and get that professor to write me a letter. Positives to this approach: the letter would probably be good, I would be fresh in the professor's memory and I will make a point to do very well. Negatives: wouldn't this be so obvious to ADCOMs? He is taking one random undergraduate class the summer before applications and is using that professor for a recommendation. He obviously couldn't get one from a professor at his degree granting institution.
For what it's worth:
LSAC GPA: 3.84
Taking the LSAT in June: recent PTs have been from 165-172. Pretty frustrating how variable they have been. Goal score: 170
Anyways, interested to hear your or anyone else's thoughts.


Don't get a lackluster old letter of rec. See this blog

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/the-cu ... ion/spivey consulting letter of recommendation

Military is tough *(thank you for your service) because almost every military LOR looks exactly a like and somewhat overwrought. I think if I were you i'd likely take some random class, become best friends with the professor and get a third rec from them.

Mike

chrysippusofsoli
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby chrysippusofsoli » Thu May 04, 2017 11:23 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Don't get a lackluster old letter of rec. See this blog

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/the-cu ... ion/spivey consulting letter of recommendation

Military is tough *(thank you for your service) because almost every military LOR looks exactly a like and somewhat overwrought. I think if I were you i'd likely take some random class, become best friends with the professor and get a third rec from them.

Mike


Hi Mike,

For some reason that link wouldn't work. I'm assuming this is the post you were referring to:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/the-cu ... mendation/

It's really helpful, thanks for posting it!

gopz
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:09 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby gopz » Fri May 05, 2017 12:38 am

Hello Team Spivey,

I'm a freshman and just finished my first year of university. I was wondering, if I took the LSAT this September and applied to law school right after I graduate or 1 year after I graduate, would my 3-4 year old LSAT score be looked down upon come admission time? Or will this score be treated the same as an LSAT taken closer to when I apply to law school? I understand that taking the LSAT this early comes with a number of issues, such as the risk of me changing my mind about law school. But solely from an admissions perspective, would there be any disadvantage to having an older LSAT score (given that it has not passed the 5 year expiration date)?


I appreciate your help!

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 am

gopz wrote:Hello Team Spivey,

I'm a freshman and just finished my first year of university. I was wondering, if I took the LSAT this September and applied to law school right after I graduate or 1 year after I graduate, would my 3-4 year old LSAT score be looked down upon come admission time? Or will this score be treated the same as an LSAT taken closer to when I apply to law school? I understand that taking the LSAT this early comes with a number of issues, such as the risk of me changing my mind about law school. But solely from an admissions perspective, would there be any disadvantage to having an older LSAT score (given that it has not passed the 5 year expiration date)?


I appreciate your help!


If you want a more detailed answer we are doing the AMA starting Sunday night. But I see very little upside to taking this early (only one being if you somehow knew that this is the only time you could get your best score) and much more downside. If anything happens good or bad and delays your decision to go to law school, for example, the score could become useless as it has a timer. Or perhaps you will want to take the GRE by then? Etc etc. SO I would personally hold off and take advantage of a time in your life where the world is your oyster as far as what to that that summer -- because sad to say -- that freedom also has a timer.

User avatar
LesPaul1995
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby LesPaul1995 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Mr. Spivey, I recently saw a post where you mentioned of students applying to law school in the summer (I was under the impression that you could ONLY apply by the deadline at most schools). I will be taking the June LSAT, and plan on scoring a 176+ in June (i have consistently been scoring 180's.) When I do succeed in this; how would I be able to apply to schools, including the t14, in the summer for fall 2017? (I was planning on taking a gap year as I didn't think it was possible to apply past deadline.) I have a 3.44 LSDAS GPA and average softs. I would appreciate your insight.

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun May 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Mike: Can you link the AMA?

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun May 07, 2017 1:39 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:Mike: Can you link the AMA?


Tonight when we are all together.


User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 16, 2017 10:04 am

So uhh...about that newest tweet.

So suppose I take in June (which I am) and it would be my third take - would that mean I'd still be eligible to take in September if something went catastrophically wrong on the June test? I'm expecting to crush June since I've actually prepped this time around, but if I knew I had that card in play, it would drastically lower the stress level to be perfect on this take.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue May 16, 2017 11:53 am

Hi all,

We are getting a large number of calls and emails about the new LSAT policy. Before we say anything we are going to talk to our LSAC and law school contacts and ten have an internal SCG conference call ASAP. After all of that we will update everyone. Since this is new to us all, to everyone, I want to make sure we get it right before answering any questions. LSAC says they will be announcing a new LSAT schedule in the upcoming weeks, fyi.

We will have a blog up as soon as we can about the new policy and ramifications at: https://www.spiveyconsulting.com/blog/ my best guess is we will need a few days, though.

-Mike

theboringest
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:19 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby theboringest » Tue May 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Someone should buy Spivey a beer. Not me, I'm poor. But someone.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 16, 2017 12:48 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Hi all,

We are getting a large number of calls and emails about the new LSAT policy. Before we say anything we are going to talk to our LSAC and law school contacts and ten have an internal SCG conference call ASAP. After all of that we will update everyone. Since this is new to us all, to everyone, I want to make sure we get it right before answering any questions. LSAC says they will be announcing a new LSAT schedule in the upcoming weeks, fyi.

We will have a blog up as soon as we can about the new policy and ramifications at: https://www.spiveyconsulting.com/blog/ my best guess is we will need a few days, though.

-Mike


What does this mean for counter cycles? :twisted:

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2790
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue May 16, 2017 12:52 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Hi all,

We are getting a large number of calls and emails about the new LSAT policy. Before we say anything we are going to talk to our LSAC and law school contacts and ten have an internal SCG conference call ASAP. After all of that we will update everyone. Since this is new to us all, to everyone, I want to make sure we get it right before answering any questions. LSAC says they will be announcing a new LSAT schedule in the upcoming weeks, fyi.

We will have a blog up as soon as we can about the new policy and ramifications at: https://www.spiveyconsulting.com/blog/ my best guess is we will need a few days, though.

-Mike


What does this mean for counter cycles? :twisted:


A counter cycle defined:

Is when you claim to be admitted to a school and then a day later ask for advice on how to write a LOCI for said school -- because writing a LOCI to a school you have been admitted to... that would indeed be counter to anything anyone has every done before.

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby ZVBXRPL » Tue May 16, 2017 1:33 pm

Can someone fill me in on the new LSAT policy?

User avatar
88234
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby 88234 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:49 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Hi all,

We are getting a large number of calls and emails about the new LSAT policy. Before we say anything we are going to talk to our LSAC and law school contacts and ten have an internal SCG conference call ASAP. After all of that we will update everyone. Since this is new to us all, to everyone, I want to make sure we get it right before answering any questions. LSAC says they will be announcing a new LSAT schedule in the upcoming weeks, fyi.

We will have a blog up as soon as we can about the new policy and ramifications at: https://www.spiveyconsulting.com/blog/ my best guess is we will need a few days, though.

-Mike


What does this mean for counter cycles? :twisted:


A counter cycle defined:

Is when you claim to be admitted to a school and then a day later ask for advice on how to write a LOCI for said school -- because writing a LOCI to a school you have been admitted to... that would indeed be counter to anything anyone has every done before.


rekt.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 26335
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 16, 2017 1:51 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Hi all,

We are getting a large number of calls and emails about the new LSAT policy. Before we say anything we are going to talk to our LSAC and law school contacts and ten have an internal SCG conference call ASAP. After all of that we will update everyone. Since this is new to us all, to everyone, I want to make sure we get it right before answering any questions. LSAC says they will be announcing a new LSAT schedule in the upcoming weeks, fyi.

We will have a blog up as soon as we can about the new policy and ramifications at: https://www.spiveyconsulting.com/blog/ my best guess is we will need a few days, though.

-Mike


What does this mean for counter cycles? :twisted:


A counter cycle defined:

Is when you claim to be admitted to a school and then a day later ask for advice on how to write a LOCI for said school -- because writing a LOCI to a school you have been admitted to... that would indeed be counter to anything anyone has every done before.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 16, 2017 2:44 pm

88234 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Hi all,

We are getting a large number of calls and emails about the new LSAT policy. Before we say anything we are going to talk to our LSAC and law school contacts and ten have an internal SCG conference call ASAP. After all of that we will update everyone. Since this is new to us all, to everyone, I want to make sure we get it right before answering any questions. LSAC says they will be announcing a new LSAT schedule in the upcoming weeks, fyi.

We will have a blog up as soon as we can about the new policy and ramifications at: https://www.spiveyconsulting.com/blog/ my best guess is we will need a few days, though.

-Mike


What does this mean for counter cycles? :twisted:


A counter cycle defined:

Is when you claim to be admitted to a school and then a day later ask for advice on how to write a LOCI for said school -- because writing a LOCI to a school you have been admitted to... that would indeed be counter to anything anyone has every done before.


rekt.


did dyebri really do this????

ciceroforumhands
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby ciceroforumhands » Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi Mike,

I have an acceptance and scholarship offer that I am happy with, but I think I might be able to get off one or more wait lists and/or increase my current scholarship with a higher LSAT score. I am registered for the June LSAT, but I don't want to jeopardize my current offer of admission or scholarship by retaking. Can I safely take the June LSAT? And if revocation of my current offer is possible, is there anything I can do proactively to preclude that possibility (I am thinking about just asking the admissions office, but I suspect they aren't inclined to give a helpful answer since I am already at their 75th percentile)?

Thanks!

lagavulinjoe
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby lagavulinjoe » Thu May 18, 2017 10:14 am

ciceroforumhands wrote:Hi Mike,

I have an acceptance and scholarship offer that I am happy with, but I think I might be able to get off one or more wait lists and/or increase my current scholarship with a higher LSAT score. I am registered for the June LSAT, but I don't want to jeopardize my current offer of admission or scholarship by retaking. Can I safely take the June LSAT? And if revocation of my current offer is possible, is there anything I can do proactively to preclude that possibility (I am thinking about just asking the admissions office, but I suspect they aren't inclined to give a helpful answer since I am already at their 75th percentile)?

Thanks!


Also interested in this

xandra_v
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby xandra_v » Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Spivey and company,

Thanks so much for all you do for us here on TLS. Quick procedural question--I applied to JD/other degree joint programs at two schools. I was admitted to the other degree, and waitlisted at the JD. As a result, I turned down admission at the other degree programs because my priority is a law degree.

Do I need to update the law school admissions office that I am no longer applying for a joint degree? Do they even care? (I know the admissions processes are separate).

Any info you have would be very helpful. Thanks!

User avatar
DerekMeeker
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby DerekMeeker » Fri May 19, 2017 1:45 pm

ciceroforumhands wrote:Hi Mike,

I have an acceptance and scholarship offer that I am happy with, but I think I might be able to get off one or more wait lists and/or increase my current scholarship with a higher LSAT score. I am registered for the June LSAT, but I don't want to jeopardize my current offer of admission or scholarship by retaking. Can I safely take the June LSAT? And if revocation of my current offer is possible, is there anything I can do proactively to preclude that possibility (I am thinking about just asking the admissions office, but I suspect they aren't inclined to give a helpful answer since I am already at their 75th percentile)?

Thanks!


You can safely retake. Revocations of offers are pretty rare and typically involve misrepresentation or misconduct of some sort.

User avatar
DerekMeeker
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby DerekMeeker » Sat May 20, 2017 5:22 pm

xandra_v wrote:Hi Spivey and company,

Thanks so much for all you do for us here on TLS. Quick procedural question--I applied to JD/other degree joint programs at two schools. I was admitted to the other degree, and waitlisted at the JD. As a result, I turned down admission at the other degree programs because my priority is a law degree.

Do I need to update the law school admissions office that I am no longer applying for a joint degree? Do they even care? (I know the admissions processes are separate).

Any info you have would be very helpful. Thanks!


No need to tell them (unless they ask, which they might do in a wait-list interview as most schools want to talk to wait-listed applicants to gauge interest before admitting them); in the meantime, just stay in touch periodically and reiterate your commitment to attending if admitted off the wait list.

xandra_v
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby xandra_v » Sat May 20, 2017 5:24 pm

DerekMeeker wrote:
xandra_v wrote:Hi Spivey and company,

Thanks so much for all you do for us here on TLS. Quick procedural question--I applied to JD/other degree joint programs at two schools. I was admitted to the other degree, and waitlisted at the JD. As a result, I turned down admission at the other degree programs because my priority is a law degree.

Do I need to update the law school admissions office that I am no longer applying for a joint degree? Do they even care? (I know the admissions processes are separate).

Any info you have would be very helpful. Thanks!


No need to tell them (unless they ask, which they might do in a wait-list interview as most schools want to talk to wait-listed applicants to gauge interest before admitting them); in the meantime, just stay in touch periodically and reiterate your commitment to attending if admitted off the wait list.


Wonderful--thanks so much for your help, Derek!

User avatar
rowdy
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby rowdy » Thu May 25, 2017 11:51 am

I read through this whole thread over the past few weeks. Thank you to Spivey & co for all of your answers - I was surprised how many times you answered the same questions over and over.

I noticed that you predicted the 2016-17 cycle pretty well around this time last year. Do y'all have any predictions for 2017-18? I think it would also be fascinating for you to review your predictions for this cycle and note your hits and misses, and why things shook out how they did.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

nyc56
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby nyc56 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Spivey,

Is it helpful for a recommender to mention the school you are applying to directly in an additional short letter (probably a paragraph) to the school. Basically saying "I've worked with this student, they would represent your university well....."

This person has specific somewhat significant ties to the university, though not to the law school and I have a close relationship with them.


Or is this type of individualization not worth my time?
The same question applies to current students at the law school as well.



Thanks


Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests