Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

What movie should we all watch at the Spivey Consulting Firm Retreat?

The Town
14%
Interstellar
36%
Cabin in the Woods
24%
Logan
26%

Total votes: 87

carsondalywashere

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby carsondalywashere » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:19 pm

Can I use a new June LSAT score to negotiate a bigger scholarship with a school(s) I've already deposited with? Or do I need to gain some new leverage like getting off wait-lists (which a higher score would presumably do) in order to see some action? In addition, would it be wise to alert said schools that I have/am contemplating registering for the test? Would they be pissed?

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:13 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:It's official! We will do a reddit AMA (Ask US Anything to be precise) May 7th and 8th in their lawschooladmissions subreddit.

Just to save people some effort it is highly unlikely that we can answer specific school questions or questions about scholarship negotiation. Additionally, there is a great deal we do with or clients that, to use one of said clients own terms, is "proprietary strategy" and we can't divulge things that are specifically to our firm for our clients.

That said, there are nearly an unlimited array of questions, including strategic, we can answer. So bring it on, then. Looking forward to it!

-Mike

Lol at the proprietary part. Kevin from Shark Tank often uses that word.

lilitiger99

Postby lilitiger99 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:21 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Can I use a new June LSAT score to negotiate a bigger scholarship with a school(s) I've already deposited with? Or do I need to gain some new leverage like getting off wait-lists (which a higher score would presumably do) in order to see some action? In addition, would it be wise to alert said schools that I have/am contemplating registering for the test? Would they be pissed?

+10000000000000. Also looking into June LSAT for this reason. More schollys or getting of some t6 WL..

freekick

Postby freekick » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:17 am

carsondalywashere wrote:Can I use a new June LSAT score to negotiate a bigger scholarship with a school(s) I've already deposited with? Or do I need to gain some new leverage like getting off wait-lists (which a higher score would presumably do) in order to see some action? In addition, would it be wise to alert said schools that I have/am contemplating registering for the test? Would they be pissed?

Also interested in this.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:41 am

freekick wrote:

Also interested in this.

I don't want to talk much about scholarship negotiation -- but certainly it can't hurt to ask pleasantly and without over doing it, and especially if you go above their target median from at or below their target median. Schools want you if they admitted you, and likely want you if you have a new June score that goes up to what they are targeting. One of the mythologies about admissions is that there are real or obstinate deadlines. There really aren't, for almost all schools.

freekick

Postby freekick » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:06 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
freekick wrote:

Also interested in this.

I don't want to talk much about scholarship negotiation -- but certainly it can't hurt to ask pleasantly and without over doing it, and especially if you go above their target median from at or below their target median. Schools want you if they admitted you, and likely want you if you have a new June score that goes up to what they are targeting. One of the mythologies about admissions is that there are real or obstinate deadlines. There really aren't, for almost all schools.

Thanks, Mike. Decided against retaking coz already above 75th at most schools I am looking at.

Maybe you will address this in the Reddit AMA: How has the decline in 171 or above LSAT applicants affected this cycle? It 'looks like' it hasn't quite worked to the benefit of people in this score range. Your thoughts?

lawlzzz

Postby lawlzzz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:22 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:.

I've sent my question through PM as it has some details I'd like to keep private. Thanks!

Wallyplatypus

Postby Wallyplatypus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:05 pm

Hey Mike,

Regarding waitlists, do splitters have a better chance than others? Thanks!

melmelcoolj

Postby melmelcoolj » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:24 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been swamped with life stuff and work stuff and thus backed up some. I'll try to be more present here starting late next week. I did want to let everyone know that based on what I am seeing with the data and hearing in conversations with colleagues of mine, I really think this is going to be a wild waitlist summer with substantial movement.

Mike

I may or may not be crying.
Even if I've no reason to have hope as a serious reverse splitter, this still gave me a glimmer.

Good to have you back, Spiv!

Tears, just tears. I am wondering if splitters have a good chance, or do you believe waitlists are not very splitter-friendly.

super12345chess

Postby super12345chess » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi Spivey,

I'm wondering now that we are done with the chaos of the admissions cycle, if you could comment on how this cycle shaped up generally, and if there were any major surprises in your mind.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon May 01, 2017 12:56 pm

super12345chess wrote:Hi Spivey,

I'm wondering now that we are done with the chaos of the admissions cycle, if you could comment on how this cycle shaped up generally, and if there were any major surprises in your mind.

I'd love to, but we aren't even close to done. It's going to be a wild summer. But again, these make for fun blogs so remind me f I don't remind myself to do this in late August.

JoshLyman13

Postby JoshLyman13 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi Spivey & Co,

Any chance of updated cycle data? Last I saw was updated as of 3/31. I'd be curious to see if late applicants changed the overall landscape at all. Now that it's May we should have a fairly complete picture of the 2016-2017 applicant pool.

Thanks for all you guys do!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon May 01, 2017 5:22 pm

JoshLyman13 wrote:Hi Spivey & Co,

Any chance of updated cycle data? Last I saw was updated as of 3/31. I'd be curious to see if late applicants changed the overall landscape at all. Now that it's May we should have a fairly complete picture of the 2016-2017 applicant pool.

Just asked for and got some, so everyone can thank you for this update :)

Takes about an hour to code into the blog and that's when I can get a hold of whoever can do it, Anna or Danielle. So give us a few hours and it'll be up!

Mike

JoshLyman13

Postby JoshLyman13 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:32 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Takes about an hour to code into the blog and that's when I can get a hold of whoever can do it, Anna or Danielle. So give us a few hours and it'll be up!

Mike

Awesome! Thanks Mike, you're the best.

Yankees1313

Postby Yankees1313 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:52 pm

I was just wondering if you know when the above the law rankings might be out? Thanks!

SybillAnnDorsett

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 am

JoshLyman13 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Mike

+1000 thanks for the data, Mike!

LawMan16

Postby LawMan16 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:46 pm

Yankees1313 wrote:I was just wondering if you know when the above the law rankings might be out? Thanks!

Mike may have the inside track here but, for what it's worth, the ATL school rankings were released on May 23rd last year, and on May 28th the year before.

SCG_Anna

Postby SCG_Anna » Tue May 02, 2017 11:28 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
JoshLyman13 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Mike

We posted even more current data today too!

I find it kind of interesting watching the shifts in the numbers at this point in the cycle when there's only one week difference in the data.

SybillAnnDorsett

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed May 03, 2017 12:43 pm

SCG_Anna wrote:

We posted even more current data today too!

I find it kind of interesting watching the shifts in the numbers at this point in the cycle when there's only one week difference in the data.[/quote]

thanks so much, Anna -
could you or Mike shed any light at all on the implications of this data for splitters & reverse splitters? is the latter group at all going to see movement?

badlefthook

Postby badlefthook » Wed May 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Quick question for Team Spivey. Is it possible to negotiate with a school you have already deposited with, after being admitted off a waitlist at a separate school without a financial offer?

I have deposited at Columbia, they haven't offered me much, and I was wondering if I am admitted off the waitlist at Harvard, could I use that as leverage with CLS to offer me more within the 24 hour window? Don't need specifics for how to do this, just wondering if it has been done. Thanks in advance!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed May 03, 2017 2:07 pm

badlefthook wrote:Quick question for Team Spivey. Is it possible to negotiate with a school you have already deposited with, after being admitted off a waitlist at a separate school without a financial offer?

I have deposited at Columbia, they haven't offered me much, and I was wondering if I am admitted off the waitlist at Harvard, could I use that as leverage with CLS to offer me more within the 24 hour window? Don't need specifics for how to do this, just wondering if it has been done. Thanks in advance!

Without talking much about scholarship negotiation (we can't for many reasons) or any specific school yes it is quite possible.

badlefthook

Postby badlefthook » Wed May 03, 2017 2:29 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
badlefthook wrote:Quick question for Team Spivey. Is it possible to negotiate with a school you have already deposited with, after being admitted off a waitlist at a separate school without a financial offer?

Without talking much about scholarship negotiation (we can't for many reasons) or any specific school yes it is quite possible.

Awesome thank you.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed May 03, 2017 4:51 pm

New poll up about which movie we should watch at our firm retreat this Sunday - Tuesday.

But more importantly, we will be doing the AMA as a group as well. I'll tweet the link once it is up Sunday night.

Royals3535

Postby Royals3535 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Hey Mike,

I kept telling myself that I wouldn't worry about this until after the June 12th LSAT, but it's hanging over my head. So, quick question on letters of recommendation. I have heard that you pretty much need one from a former professor unless you've been out of school for several years. When I send applications in this October/November it will be three years since I graduated. I never really formed any close relationships with professors and I doubt they will remember me. I was going to reach out to some old professors and ask, but that will result in, at best, Student X was in my class several years ago and did very well...I have nothing else to add. So the three COAs I'm considering:
1) get two letters or recommendations from commanding officers I've served under. My former CO has already said he will write an excellent one, but the issue is no academic letter.
2) reach out to old professors and get a most likely general, bland letter and hope it doesn't effect the overall application
3) quickly enroll in a random undergrad summer weekend class at the university in town, do well and get that professor to write me a letter. Positives to this approach: the letter would probably be good, I would be fresh in the professor's memory and I will make a point to do very well. Negatives: wouldn't this be so obvious to ADCOMs? He is taking one random undergraduate class the summer before applications and is using that professor for a recommendation. He obviously couldn't get one from a professor at his degree granting institution.
For what it's worth:
LSAC GPA: 3.84
Taking the LSAT in June: recent PTs have been from 165-172. Pretty frustrating how variable they have been. Goal score: 170
Anyways, interested to hear your or anyone else's thoughts.

InterLaw

Postby InterLaw » Thu May 04, 2017 6:13 am

Hey everyone!

I have a question I am very worried to ask. However, it's time to make it.
So, I am an international student. I just graduated from Bachelor degree in Italy. The thing is, I spent two semesters abroad, one in Belgium and one in California. Thus, I sent all 3 transcripts to LSAC.
My main transcript is marked as "Superior" by LSAC international evaluation, which is the best evaluation possible.
However, and this is the real problem, my academic summary report shows a vague "FOREIGN" in the firs column (the international foreign evaluation in on a separate form), and it shows my Cal State semester in the second column.
Now, I'll cut it short: I have a 2.08 GPA in the US semester, over 13 semester hours. For my credit recognition, I just had to take two classes (6 semester hours), where I got a 3.0 GPA (with A in Phil of Law and recommendation letter from the professor). I took another class with a B, and I decided not to show up to two classes (sailing and film, for a total of 4 hours) where I got F and WF. I had to take all 4 "real" (sailing was my choice) classes to stay enrolled at the hosting university, while for my home university I just had to take the first two (they were the last two classes for my bachelor).

The thing is, I have this shitty 2.08 GPA for the semester.
My academic report, however, doesn't obviously show a Degree GPA. It comes like that:

Degree (Summary) GPA:
Degree Semester Hours: 0
Cumulative GPA:
Cumulative Semester Hours: 13
Nonpunitive "NC", "WF", and "Repeated" Course Credit Hours: 0

Now the question is, how much this will affect my admission process?
I'm particularly concerned about numbers and statistics. I've been told that for international students they just look at your LSAT over anything else because they don't have to report your UGPA to anyone (USNWR or admission statistics). Does that apply to my case? Is this unfortunate semester affecting just my profile or it could be something for which they "can't" let me in some good schools, despite my "Superior" overall evaluation, because it would mean for them to report a 2.08 GPA?
Please, help a desperate foreign student who isn't sleeping thinking about all this mess :oops:

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”