Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

What movie should we all watch at the Spivey Consulting Firm Retreat?

The Town
13%
Interstellar
40%
Cabin in the Woods
25%
Logan
22%

Total votes: 158

lem

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby lem » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:38 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Those same people can only go to 1 law school. So NYU will have to keep offering. I have a blog on this called something like "the surprising math of the wait list" I should find and tweet.

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/mistak ... dest-part/

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:54 pm

theboringest wrote:Hey Spivey crew,

For some personal reasons I may have to sit this year out and withdraw acceptances- was wondering how schools look at reapplicants? Is it a ding against them? I'm happy with my outcomes so it kinda sucks and idk if they'll hold it against me if/when I reapply.

Have you considered requesting a deferral from your top choice? You can only do it at one school, so this may not be an option for you, but something to consider.
Otherwise, it matters how -- and especially when -- you withdraw. My advice is to do it early and with a note that indicates that you will be reapplying next year due to xx circumstances. For the most part, schools want you to go to law school when you are ready to do it, so it's understandable that things come up.

KB

Keilz

Postby Keilz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:13 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Wallyplatypus wrote:Hi Spivey!
I wanted to ask if the T6 schools have finished giving out the majority of the offers (75%) and if I should start to adjust my expectations? :oops:

Well, depends. NYU has a ton more to give it seems. And for the others, while it varies, I agree 25% remaining sounds about right. But in aggregate that is a lot of offers.

This just gave me a renewed sense of hope for the week. Thank you! :)

theboringest

Postby theboringest » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:55 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:

For some personal reasons I may have to sit this year out and withdraw acceptances- was wondering how schools look at reapplicants? Is it a ding against them? I'm happy with my outcomes so it kinda sucks and idk if they'll hold it against me if/when I reapply.

Have you considered requesting a deferral from your top choice? You can only do it at one school, so this may not be an option for you, but something to consider.
Otherwise, it matters how -- and especially when -- you withdraw. My advice is to do it early and with a note that indicates that you will be reapplying next year due to xx circumstances. For the most part, schools want you to go to law school when you are ready to do it, so it's understandable that things come up.

KB

I have, however I'm not 100% sure I'm going to be able to attend year after this. I'm honestly happy with any of my top few choices, but they all have indicated to past applicants that they don't defer scholarship awards. I'm really excited about the schools, but money is such a huge concern I just can't defer without knowing about the money situation. I get their position 100%, it's just that the not knowing is a deal breaker for me.

Anyways, great advice- I'll figure out my situation asap so I can let schools know one way or the other.

scoot456

Postby scoot456 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Last edited by scoot456 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RParadela

Postby RParadela » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:49 pm

If you received a scholarship offer off of a waitlist, could you use that to negotiate with a school that you already deposited with?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:35 pm

RParadela wrote:If you received a scholarship offer off of a waitlist, could you use that to negotiate with a school that you already deposited with?

I personally would try.

We are going to have a [rare] scholarship negotiation blog up soon, fyi. We don't post much on this because we don't want schools to counter strategies or to be unfair to any clients. But I think this one cuts a fine balance and is value-added.

AlexFergusonLS

Postby AlexFergusonLS » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:27 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
RParadela wrote:If you received a scholarship offer off of a waitlist, could you use that to negotiate with a school that you already deposited with?

I personally would try.

We are going to have a [rare] scholarship negotiation blog up soon, fyi. We don't post much on this because we don't want schools to counter strategies or to be unfair to any clients. But I think this one cuts a fine balance and is value-added.

If I'm into Columbia, should I make effort to get off my U Chicago waitlist to get aid? Or if I would slightly prefer Columbia should I just lock that in?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:51 am

AlexFergusonLS wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

I personally would try.

If I'm into Columbia, should I make effort to get off my U Chicago waitlist to get aid? Or if I would slightly prefer Columbia should I just lock that in?

We can't do the individual schools advice thing. Sorry. GL!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:01 am

Here is the aforementioned blog on scholarship negotiation:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/5-scho ... cessities/

dietcoke1

Postby dietcoke1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:36 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

thank you Spivey!

Kopetz

Postby Kopetz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:58 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Here is the aforementioned blog on scholarship negotiation:

This is great, thank you!

theboringest

Postby theboringest » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Hey Spivey,

Just curious on what your thoughts are about the seeming increase in schools taking a "no negotiation" position- do you think it's directly related to your prior posts regarding rising costs of a legal education? Or just admissions offices getting tired of the back and forth? Totally understand if you can't get specific on something like this. Thanks for the blog post!

roi

Postby roi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Spivey,

Thanks for linking this post. Reading it sparked a tangential question - is it uncommon for accepted applicants to ask for a current student / faculty point of contact (particularly at T14)? I feel like it'd be a great way to learn more about the school, since I am unable to visit schools in person as freely as others.

Thanks!

scoot456

Postby scoot456 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:20 am

-----
Last edited by scoot456 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:50 am

roi wrote:

Hi Spivey,

Thanks for linking this post. Reading it sparked a tangential question - is it uncommon for accepted applicants to ask for a current student / faculty point of contact (particularly at T14)? I feel like it'd be a great way to learn more about the school, since I am unable to visit schools in person as freely as others.

Thanks!

Fwiw, I've personally either emailed students that seem to have similar interests/backgrounds or asked to be put in touch with them.

Also, a lot of schools have student ambassadors with their info posted somewhere on their site that you can reach out to. They're basically the tour guide folks I think.

Allllso, if there's a certain faulty member you're interested in talking to, you can just shoot them an email saying you're a prospective student curious about x, y, z. I think whether or not they reply/how they reply can say a lot about what kind of faculty the school has.

Spivey & crew might have better advice but that's what I've been doing and it's definitely been helping me narrow things down.

Gitaroo_Dude

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:23 am

Thanks for this.

Not sure if you can answer this in a public forum (or a free one for that matter :P ) but was curious what schools think of the following strategy: if someone promises to matriculate in return for receiving a specified bump in $$, is that persuasive, or do schools dislike it? This is assuming the student is honest about matriculating.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:42 am

roi wrote:

Hi Spivey,

Thanks!

It is pretty standard for an admissions office to offer this type of contact/resource to its admitted students - if they don't offer, you should certainly ask!

KB

roi

Postby roi » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:23 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Fwiw, I've personally either emailed students that seem to have similar interests/backgrounds or asked to be put in touch with them.

Also, a lot of schools have student ambassadors with their info posted somewhere on their site that you can reach out to. They're basically the tour guide folks I think.

Allllso, if there's a certain faulty member you're interested in talking to, you can just shoot them an email saying you're a prospective student curious about x, y, z. I think whether or not they reply/how they reply can say a lot about what kind of faculty the school has.

Spivey & crew might have better advice but that's what I've been doing and it's definitely been helping me narrow things down.

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
It is pretty standard for an admissions office to offer this type of contact/resource to its admitted students - if they don't offer, you should certainly ask!

KB

Thanks so much for the info :) Glad to hear it's pretty normal, I'm definitely planning on doing that then.

jd21

Postby jd21 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:26 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:

KB

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I have a relatively generous scholarship offer from one of my top choice schools but I decided to wait and reapply next year. Is there some sort of etiquette involving what department/person should be contacted? I'm worried that by not accepting they won't think I'm a serious applicant when I apply next year.

Thanks for all you guys do. It definitely helped me (and several of my friends) tremendously.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:51 am

jd21 wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:

KB

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I have a relatively generous scholarship offer from one of my top choice schools but I decided to wait and reapply next year. Is there some sort of etiquette involving what department/person should be contacted? I'm worried that by not accepting they won't think I'm a serious applicant when I apply next year.

Thanks for all you guys do. It definitely helped me (and several of my friends) tremendously.

The advice is the same as above - do it early and send a nice note saying that you will be reapplying in the future but this is not the right time to attend. Send it to admissions -- to a particular person only if you've been in touch with them through other correspondence.

KB

AlexFergusonLS

Postby AlexFergusonLS » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:27 am

Do any 1L's successfully negotiate aid for their 2L year? Specifically for T-14's.

I've heard references to people doing this based on:
- They get accepted to transfer to Yale/Harvard and tell Columbia/NU/whatever their school is, their school offers them aid to stay
- They do really well their first year and win some sort of prize or way to increase merit
- They do really well + apply for a change in need-based funding

Any thoughts? Anyone ever hire you all for this purpose?

chamyleon

Postby chamyleon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Once the first seat deposit is placed, is negotiating for financial aid pretty much over? I'm asking because I have yet to hear back from one of my schools about financial aid, and I doubt I'll hear back before my first seat deposit at another school is due. I was planning on placing the seat deposit and waiting to see what the second school offers.

enoca

Postby enoca » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Hey Spivey et al.!

I am considering deferring for work reasons, but my LSAT score expires this cycle. What is the "readmission" process like for a deferral and would an expiring LSAT score be an issue? Or is this just something I need to check school by school?

Thanks

laqueredup

Postby laqueredup » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:57 am

Thanks for all you guys do for free on here. Saw the note on your blog that you are at Wait-list Consulting capacity. Do you have a waitlist for your waitlist consulting? Seems like the lists may be getting very long this year.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”