Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

What movie should we all watch at the Spivey Consulting Firm Retreat?

The Town
12%
Interstellar
39%
Cabin in the Woods
25%
Logan
25%

Total votes: 102

MikeSpivey

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:59 am

Hi everyone,

I'll need at least the weekend to get caught up from work travel and rankings release. So hopefully back here around Monday!

Mike

hcss11

Postby hcss11 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:53 am

chrysippusofsoli wrote:Hi Spivey Crew, thanks for doing all this! I've learned a great deal just reading through your replies on this thread.

Just curious, do you have any thoughts as to how Harvard's recent decision to accept the GRE will affect admissions from next cycle onward? E.g. Do you see more schools following HLS' lead in the short term? Does this signal a more holistic admissions process for HLS/more emphasis on uGPA?

Thanks!

Very important question here. Would love to get your opinion on this, Spivey.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:34 am

Hello TLS'ers.

I continue to get a a large number of inquiries about HLS and the GRE and what it means. I will try to work on a blog with the help of some other experts (namely my partners, LSAT people like Dave Killoran and hopefully a few law school deans).

Briefly, though, it is my considered opinion that on a macro level (not for any specific individuals) that even though a number of schools will follow, that real change in admissions and how applicants are recruited and admitted will be very slow -- as change in higher education itself is almost always slow. The ABA still requires that an LSAT score is reported if an applicant has one, for example. This policy alone, and USNWR collection of the highest LSAT score in rankings but not GRE, would both need to be amended before admission file reading would change much.

Hopefully more soon. These are purely my instincts based on a career in this area. I have yet to discuss this much with others, as thee rankings release + travel + client work has had me a bit busy :)

CHyde

Postby CHyde » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:34 am

Last edited by CHyde on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smc1994

Postby Smc1994 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:53 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Hello TLS'ers.

I continue to get a a large number of inquiries about HLS and the GRE and what it means. I will try to work on a blog with the help of some other experts (namely my partners, LSAT people like Dave Killoran and hopefully a few law school deans).

Briefly, though, it is my considered opinion that on a macro level (not for any specific individuals) that even though a number of schools will follow, that real change in admissions and how applicants are recruited and admitted will be very slow -- as change in higher education itself is almost always slow. The ABA still requires that an LSAT score is reported if an applicant has one, for example. This policy alone, and USNWR collection of the highest LSAT score in rankings but not GRE, would both need to be amended before admission file reading would change much.

Hopefully more soon. These are purely my instincts based on a career in this area. I have yet to discuss this much with others, as thee rankings release + travel + client work has had me a bit busy :)

The hero we need but don't deserve.

el_tiago

Postby el_tiago » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:32 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Hello TLS'ers.

First of all, thanks for all of the invaluable information you provide. I'm curious what you think about the chances of other top schools adopting a GRE acceptance policy for this coming cycle? And, also importantly, when do you think schools would begin to announce this change (if it is coming)? I'm curious because that could potentially impact whether I enroll in school this year or decide to sit out and reapply in September. Thanks!

finaciardi

Postby finaciardi » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:48 am

Last edited by finaciardi on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plurple_Unicorn

Postby Plurple_Unicorn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi Spivey! I was wondering if you could help me. I posted this in a different board, but didn't receive a response:

I just checked LSN. Several posters (with my stats) have already received letters of admission. We sent in our applications around the same time (I sent my app a few days earlier). Any thoughts as to why I didn't get a decision? I'm a reapplicant, so maybe it takes longer? I'm feeling pretty bummed.

Thanks so much for your help.

Ca2021

Postby Ca2021 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Last edited by Ca2021 on Wed May 03, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mnunitedfan

Postby mnunitedfan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi, Spivey!

First of all, thank you so much for all of this great advice and help. You guys are truly the unsung heroes!

I was waitlisted this past week, and as heartbroken as I am, I'm not going to let that get me down. I know without a question I need to submit a LOCI, but I was just wondering when the right time would be to do so? Also, is there a general format I should follow? I don't want to write something that seems too generic or repeitive based off of my application and resume.

Completely understand if you can't give out too much information, I know it's unfair to your clients. I'm just sincerely grateful for any information you may be able to provide. :D

Thanks so much!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:25 am

More on the recent GRE news/discussion coming soon! Mike is scheduled to be interviewed by The Economist tomorrow, and we will post the link as soon as it is available.

KB

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:26 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:More on the recent GRE news/discussion coming soon! Mike is scheduled to be interviewed by The Economist tomorrow, and we will post the link as soon as it is available.

Spivey doin big things

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 am

Plurple_Unicorn wrote:Hi Spivey! I was wondering if you could help me. I posted this in a different board, but didn't receive a response:

I just checked LSN. Several posters (with my stats) have already received letters of admission. We sent in our applications around the same time (I sent my app a few days earlier). Any thoughts as to why I didn't get a decision? I'm a reapplicant, so maybe it takes longer? I'm feeling pretty bummed.

Thanks so much for your help.

There are so many variables at play here, so it is hard to read into the timing of decisions simply based on numbers. Depending on how the school's review process works, you could simply have someone who is slower at reading files or they could be looking at your old application to see what has changed. hang in there!

KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:34 am

Ca2021 wrote:Hi Spivey! Once you have decided that you will not be attending a certain law school---how and when should you let them know that you are declining their offer of admission? Thanks in advance if you are able to answer this!

If you are certain that you will not be attending, you can simply send an email to the school thanking them for the offer and letting them know that you will not be attending. Most schools have a deadline to let them know that you are/aren't coming, but you can let them know now if you have made up your mind.

KB

canigraduatealready?

Postby canigraduatealready? » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi Spivey,

I was wondering if you have any stories about negotiating with Columbia. I am blessed to have been offered the Ruby, Mordecai, and Levy, as well as HYS. However, I was offered the Butler from Columbia. Do you think I can negotiate Columbia closer to a Hamilton using these scholarships and acceptances? Is there any point in doing so if I ultimately want to attend Y or S?

Wallyplatypus

Postby Wallyplatypus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 am

Hi Spivey!
I wanted to ask if the T6 schools have finished giving out the majority of the offers (75%) and if I should start to adjust my expectations? :oops:

mtf612

Postby mtf612 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Any chance we will see new cycle/applicant data soon?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:25 pm

mtf612 wrote:Any chance we will see new cycle/applicant data soon?

I suspect soon!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Wallyplatypus wrote:Hi Spivey!
I wanted to ask if the T6 schools have finished giving out the majority of the offers (75%) and if I should start to adjust my expectations? :oops:

Well, depends. NYU has a ton more to give it seems. And for the others, while it varies, I agree 25% remaining sounds about right. But in aggregate that is a lot of offers.

mtf612

Postby mtf612 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:14 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Well, depends. NYU has a ton more to give it seems. And for the others, while it varies, I agree 25% remaining sounds about right. But in aggregate that is a lot of offers.

Just curious, what indicates NYU has a ton more offers? It's my top choice, over both medians, but I've been stuck under review since mid January. Searching for any glimmer of hope!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:23 pm

mtf612 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Just curious, what indicates NYU has a ton more offers? It's my top choice, over both medians, but I've been stuck under review since mid January. Searching for any glimmer of hope!

You answered your own question :)

Wallyplatypus

Postby Wallyplatypus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 am

MikeSpivey wrote:

Thanks Mike! But I feel like most of the 25% offers might end up in the hands of the same people.

KME89

Postby KME89 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi Spivey Team,

Could you please tell me if there is there an unwritten rule that all schools send out decisions before April 15 if the applicant applied before the school's application deadline? I don't know if I need to start making a decision among the schools I have been accepted to when I haven't heard back from my top choice yet.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Wallyplatypus wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Thanks Mike! But I feel like most of the 25% offers might end up in the hands of the same people.

Those same people can only go to 1 law school. So NYU will have to keep offering. I have a blog on this called something like "the surprising math of the wait list" I should find and tweet.

theboringest

Postby theboringest » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Hey Spivey crew,

For some personal reasons I may have to sit this year out and withdraw acceptances- was wondering how schools look at reapplicants? Is it a ding against them? I'm happy with my outcomes so it kinda sucks and idk if they'll hold it against me if/when I reapply.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”