Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:52 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
Yankees1313 wrote:Do you guys know when we will start hearing about the new rankings for this year?

Soon. Usually around March 10-15.

Cool! Okay to email higher ranked schools with application UR that lower ranked schools accepted you?

Probably not. How would you organically slide that into an email? There is a really nuanced way but it is exceptionally tough via email.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Hi Spivey Team!

Just wondering if you have any insight on whether or not schools receive LSAT scores before they're released to students. Thanks!

No - you will be the first to see them! Schools will likely get them the next day.
KB

hinton2014

Postby hinton2014 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Spivey Team! Thanks for what you're doing. I just had a quick question regarding whether I should write an addendum or not. Fwiw, my target school is Vanderbilt. Anyways, I went to my current university right after i graduated high school. In my time here, I've managed to maintain a 3.95 university GPA. However, while in HS I took some college courses and as a senior I misread the syllabus of a class and missed the final and did not turn in the final paper which resulted in a D. As you know, this tends to lower my LSDAS GPA about .08. I retook the course at my current university and got an A. Should I write an addendum to explain this, or will it matter? I completed less than 20 hours outside of my current university.

poursuite

Postby poursuite » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:51 am

Hello Spivey crew! This is my first post ever on TLS, so forgive me if I'm not up on the lingo or am beating a dead horse.

I've been waitlisted at my top choice and am trying to figure out next steps. When I replied to the waitlist email, saying that I wanted to stay on the waitlist, I also wrote a couple of sentences about why I want to go to the school and the conversation I had with one of their student ambassadors. I don't consider this my LOCI, but they did respond back saying that these comments had been added to my file. I really want to get into this school, so I'm extra cautious about inundating them with so many materials that they reject me for being annoying. Are these fears unfounded? I would like to send in a LOCI soon that's around 3/4 of a page, single-spaced. What do you think goes into a good LOCI, how long should it be to avoid being annoying but get the point across, and do you think that this in addition to another letter of rec from an alumna is too much?

Thank you for all your helpful answers!!

Gabriel_is_Satan

Postby Gabriel_is_Satan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi Spivey crew!

Regarding your latest blog post: I'm curious why there is such a drop in 171+ scores. Did they recalibrate (or mis-calibrate?) the LSAT this year? Or is there an actual drop in really good candidates?

Following up on that: does this bode well for 171+ candidates and badly for 170- ?

And thanks for *all* your posts!!
Last edited by Gabriel_is_Satan on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KPUSN07

Postby KPUSN07 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:55 pm

Is there a GPA "cutoff" unspoken for admin officers represented in this thread? Do schools weigh undergrad GPAs differently? When schools say they take a holistic approach to evaluating the candidate, how much does GPA and LSAT still count towards a candidate's profile?

LikelyThrowaway

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:08 pm

Do you think there's any chance a school would give more money for travel costs to an admitted students weekend if they were asked? I figure I might as well try but just don't want to come across rude.

Apologies if already asked, thanks so much as always for your help.

MrJD2020

Postby MrJD2020 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:58 am

I've applied to most of the T6 and I'm considering registering for the June LSAT in case I get waitlisted at Harvard, Stanford or Columbia. Have you ever seen someone get in off a waitlist this way?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:08 pm

hinton2014 wrote:Hi Spivey Team! Thanks for what you're doing. I just had a quick question regarding whether I should write an addendum or not. Fwiw, my target school is Vanderbilt. Anyways, I went to my current university right after i graduated high school. In my time here, I've managed to maintain a 3.95 university GPA. However, while in HS I took some college courses and as a senior I misread the syllabus of a class and missed the final and did not turn in the final paper which resulted in a D. As you know, this tends to lower my LSDAS GPA about .08. I retook the course at my current university and got an A. Should I write an addendum to explain this, or will it matter? I completed less than 20 hours outside of my current university.

In the grand scheme of things, this seems rather inconsequential since your academic record since this time is quite strong.. They will get copies of your transcripts, so they will see all of your academic work, so if you really want them to know about this mistake, I would suggest keeping it super short - like three sentences.

KB

tinycatfriend

Postby tinycatfriend » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi team! I was wondering on prep - I tested at a 169, and I'm planning to retake in June if I don't get into any incredible law schools in the interim - would y'all suggest a tutor or a course? I feel like the value of a course is teaching you to sit in place for a while (truly, one of my LSAT struggles), but I'm not sure how much it would help. I'm budgeting the same amount of money for both, so given that, what should I do?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:47 am

tinycatfriend wrote:Hi team! I was wondering on prep - I tested at a 169, and I'm planning to retake in June if I don't get into any incredible law schools in the interim - would y'all suggest a tutor or a course? I feel like the value of a course is teaching you to sit in place for a while (truly, one of my LSAT struggles), but I'm not sure how much it would help. I'm budgeting the same amount of money for both, so given that, what should I do?

We can;t really do this. Find a method that works best for you, online or in person or via a book. There are a lot of feee things out there too!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:48 am

LikelyThrowaway wrote:Do you think there's any chance a school would give more money for travel costs to an admitted students weekend if they were asked? I figure I might as well try but just don't want to come across rude.

Apologies if already asked, thanks so much as always for your help.

No harm in asking but i really doubt it. Unless you have some extenuating circumstances like stuck in an airport for a night.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:48 am

MrJD2020 wrote:I've applied to most of the T6 and I'm considering registering for the June LSAT in case I get waitlisted at Harvard, Stanford or Columbia. Have you ever seen someone get in off a waitlist this way?

Yes. :)

bitter_melon

Postby bitter_melon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:54 am

Mike, Can I PM a question? It necessarily contains personal details.

chicagoburger

Postby chicagoburger » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Dear Spivey Heroes:
Outside T14 or T25, do you think USNews Ranking is choking law schools to a point that admissions committees don't really care about the rest of the application anymore, except LSAT and GPA?

What's your thought about the worship of LSAT score in the current admission environment?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:03 pm

bitter_melon wrote:Mike, Can I PM a question? It necessarily contains personal details.

I'm abut to travel all day and speak at/attend a conference of hiring partners tomorrow. So I may be slow. You could try me or one of my partners.

SlippinJimmy

Postby SlippinJimmy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:08 pm

I have heard this is a slow cycle, but how slow is slow, and when is it indicative of submitting a weak application? I applied in late November, blanketing the T14 minus HYS. I'm above the median for LSAT for almost all schools I applied to (in many cases, above 75th), and around median for GPA. Not K-JD. So far I have been accepted at 1 school, rejected at another, and WL at Duke (via priority track).

Legallylawyer2020

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:11 pm

I know this an incredibly subjective question and probably one that no one can answer with any degree of certainty but I was wondering what your opinion is about the decrease in high scorers this cycle. Does this bode well for people in the mid 160s too as some schools may be forced to accept people with lower lsats due to higher lsats being taken by higher ranked schools? I suppose I'm asking if the decrease will have a trickle down effect in admissions.
Last edited by Legallylawyer2020 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

JC2017

Postby JC2017 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:11 pm

What is the best time to submit a LOCI/new LOR to the schools I have been wait listed at? (so far Columbia and Penn, likely NYU) Should I wait until April after they are finished with the initial rounds, or should I submit ASAP? I apologize if this was asked before...I tried searching but couldn't find anything useful. Thanks!

MrJD2020

Postby MrJD2020 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:22 pm

I indicated in my HLS app (in response to Q.13) that I was applying to the JD/MBA program when I submitted in early November, but didn't get the GMAT score I wanted and decided that I would retake in the summer (if I still wanted to pursue it) and then would apply to the B school until the fall. Should I formally tell HLS, and if so, how best can I go about it? Might this be why I haven't received a JS1? I'm an URM 165-168 (AA male, 1st gen. naturalized citizen) and haven't heard a thing. If this is better addressed by contacting Spivey Consulting directly, please let me know.

I was reluctant to tell HLS that I was no longer applying to the B school before now for two reasons: 1.) I wasn't sure if it would make things better or worse to contact them since the application processes are still separate (as best I understand the process); 2.) I included an addendum describing why I wanted to pursue both degrees; 3.) The HBS round three deadline is in April, and if I improved on the GMAT before then (my quant score was simply not good and it brought my total score down a lot, despite very high performance in all other GMAT sections), I intended on submitting a round three application -- so I didn't want to call the business school thing off early in case I managed to pull of an improvement in my quant score by end of March.

BabyDoc2JD

Postby BabyDoc2JD » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:23 pm

So I know you guys don't give specific advise on scholarship negotiations, but I have a general question. Two schools have asked me to supply them with information about offers I have received from other schools prior to them tendering merit offers to me in any fashion. I am reluctant to do this, though I have a very generous offer from University of Michigan. Does it seem unusual that schools are asking about offers prior to even tendering their offer? Should I supply specifics in my reply to them. Honestly that disclosure makes me uncomfortable. I am inclined to go to University of Michigan at this juncture, though I am on hold at Columbia and if they were to admit me I would have a tough decision. If UCLA gave me a full ride I would consider going, though they are notoriously not generous I have heard. Any input welcome, thank you in advance.

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:59 am

Spivey team,

First of all, thanks for all you do. This thread is of extreme value to me. Secondly, having just completed the February LSAT I have begun to receive a number of unsolicited fee waivers/invitations to apply as does everyone. As a possible student the first thing I want to know is how effective their job placement/career services are. Just in the last 24 hours I've seen:

Vandy - a wonderful career services brochure included in the email, professional and enticing
Florida - nothing in the email, cursory fluff found after a Google search, pretty poor for any professional website
Houston - nothing in the email, almost a maze of sidebar information after a Google search that led me toward nothing I was trying to see, another extremely poor website, worse than Florida's

A few questions come to me. Do these schools not understand that the way they handle their marketing is key toward attracting students? Vandy obviously cares about this perception but the other two schools, both strong regionals, are so far behind the curve that they have to be harming themselves, right? Is this something about which other applicants just don't seem to care? Any idiot can find an ABA report. It's up to the school to create a narrative around those numbers to sell themselves. Florida and Houston both have obvious narratives they can construct but instead they seem to ignore this crucial aspect of marketing. Have you consulted schools about this? Do they care? Do they not want students who are coming to school with eyes open on the future? To me, that's a logical extension of the perception given.

2020throwaway

Postby 2020throwaway » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:12 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:I've applied to most of the T6 and I'm considering registering for the June LSAT in case I get waitlisted at Harvard, Stanford or Columbia. Have you ever seen someone get in off a waitlist this way?

Would this be true even if it would be a 4th take?

If waitlisted, would one be able to ask admissions about a score that would comfortably get them admitted?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 pm

2020throwaway wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Would this be true even if it would be a 4th take?

If waitlisted, would one be able to ask admissions about a score that would comfortably get them admitted?

Not true if 4th take and please dear goodness don't ever ask admissions "What score do I need to get admitted" it's one of those questions that admissions officers loathe and you won't get a straight answer to boot.

whodareswins

Postby whodareswins » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Why does this appear to be a rough cycle in terms of waitlists, low scholarship offers, etc.? Shouldn't we expect the opposite given the low number of 165+ LSAT scores?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”