Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

What movie should we all watch at the Spivey Consulting Firm Retreat?

The Town
5%
Interstellar
36%
Cabin in the Woods
38%
Logan
21%

Total votes: 42

danielleearly

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby danielleearly » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Lawschool305 wrote:
oliviaj_j wrote:Thank you for your travel tip! I will always keep that in mind :D
I actually have a question regarding the official final transcript.Do schools rescind their scholarship offer because of the bad grades from applicant's last semester? If it is true, how bad it should be and does it apply to my situation?
I am an international student who goes to a foreign institution. In my last semester(after I submitted my application), I failed a class and got an NP(non-pass). It was an one-credit volunteer class, and it will not change my numerical GPA in any way , and it was the only class that I took in that semester. I was not worried because I thought that would not be important, but one of my professor told me that NP will be regarded as an F in the US, and since I failed only one class I took in my last semester, it can be problematic.
I heard that bad grades in last semester can be a basis for schools to rescind their offer. I already was offered money from some schools, and I don't want this to have an impact on my cycle in a negative way! Do you think this can be a problem? Any input from you would be extremely helpful to me.
Thanks in advance!

Also curious about this topic. If a GPA falls from like a 3.75 to a 3.66. Would T14s rescind scholarships?

That's a pretty large change from one semester of grades, so again I would reach out to the schools and be proactive with them.

`Danielle

danielleearly

Postby danielleearly » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:45 pm

latif wrote:Hello, I just realized that I did not list all of the scholarships and awards I received as part of my Masters program in my apps, should I email the schools separately and list them? Would it even make a difference?

Thanks.

If they are significant awards you could send them along as an application update.

~Danielle

danielleearly

Postby danielleearly » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:44 pm

mtf612 wrote:Please don't quote.

Could you speak a bit toward the ways in which schools interpret the LSAT Mean and GPA mean for an individual applicant's undergrad institution?......

Those numbers help admissions officers understand the context of your school - especially those schools they don't see many application from. If you are showing that you outperform on the GPA that is great - but it's even better when you also show you outperform on the LSAT. Often a student who has a high gpa at a school with a lower institutional mean GPA will be looked at favorably but when it comes to students whose gpas are below the median gpa for the law school, their gpa may be scrutinized more. All in all those numbers really just provide context for the admissions officer.

~Danielle

danielleearly

Postby danielleearly » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:58 pm

wheathins wrote:************ Please don't quote. I hope to find a job one day ********************

I agree with Mike that this is possibly my favorite post on this site now.

When people would ask me why we did interviews at HLS that only lasted 15 minutes they would often say "what can you learn in that little amount of time?" And my response would be "A lot. If you can't keep it together or fake it for 15 minutes, that's a huge issue." The interview is important. Additionally, you are judged for your interactions with the office, so the way you treat people matters. At HLS, your application file from last year has been attached to your app from this year, so it's not a clean slate when you reapply.

This of course is just my opinion - but I will honestly say that when I sat in admissions committee at HLS, I was focused on character and no LSAT score was ever high enough to make me ignore someone who was rude to one of my colleagues.

All that being said - I am in awe of you for being able to recognize your weaknesses and not only work to overcome them but being willing to admit to them. You could just wait and see what happens, or you could be brave, be humble and write to the admissions office to apologize for your caviler attitude last cycle and explain how you feel you have changed and hope they see fit to give you another chance. Right now they could be thinking - well someone read his app and suggested what he needed to rewrite, but if your acknowledge the rest, they could instead give you the opportunity to redeem yourself.

Good luck!

danielleearly

Postby danielleearly » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:04 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Hi all,

If we haven't gotten to a recent question I believe Danielle is going to be back on here soon. This is always the busiest part of year for us so apologies for any delay.

Please do not feel the need to make four fake twitter accounts, one with my name in it, to ask me the same question 534 times. It slows things down from ever answering said question. :twisted:

Thanks!

OK! I think that I got everything ....

oliviaj_j

Postby oliviaj_j » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:38 pm

danielleearly wrote:
oliviaj_j wrote:Thank you for your travel tip! I will always keep that in mind :D
I actually have a question regarding the official final transcript.Do schools rescind their scholarship offer because of the bad grades from applicant's last semester? If it is true, how bad it should be and does it apply to my situation?
I am an international student who goes to a foreign institution. In my last semester(after I submitted my application), I failed a class and got an NP(non-pass). It was an one-credit volunteer class, and it will not change my numerical GPA in any way , and it was the only class that I took in that semester. I was not worried because I thought that would not be important, but one of my professor told me that NP will be regarded as an F in the US, and since I failed only one class I took in my last semester, it can be problematic.
I heard that bad grades in last semester can be a basis for schools to rescind their offer. I already was offered money from some schools, and I don't want this to have an impact on my cycle in a negative way! Do you think this can be a problem? Any input from you would be extremely helpful to me.
Thanks in advance!

In this situation you should reach out to the schools you've been admitted to and proactively tell them about the issue. Each school may react differently but you certainly don't want them to see an F on your final transcript without any information. Each school will respond in the manner that makes the most sense for them but you should work with them now so that you know what your options are.

~Danielle

Thank you for your kind answer. I will take your advice and reach out to the schools!

Shangrilala

Postby Shangrilala » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi, um so someone recommended me to post my question here (this viewtopic.php?f=18&t=274373&p=9803076#p9803076).
So my question is: I just found this morning, I wanted to include his name in my PS but he was arrested and put into prison for sexual relations with a teenage girl.
Should I remove his name and just mention a professor or should I just remove all of the parts about his class?

I'd appreciate if if anyone could provide an answer,

Thanks

wheathins

Postby wheathins » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:54 pm

Last edited by wheathins on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:38 pm

Schools negotiation: by email, phone, or in person? Better later in cycle?

ReadyToStart

Postby ReadyToStart » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:50 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:Schools negotiation: by email, phone, or in person? Better later in cycle?

Just to piggyback off this a little. When using a higher ranked school as leverage, do you ask the lower ranked school to match or beat their scholarship?

Thanks for all the help that y'all provide!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi all.

For a variety of reasons we can't talk much about scholarship negotiation. Other than to say do ask, ask politely, don't give up, and again, be exceedingly polite!

aurelian

Postby aurelian » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:00 am

Hi Spivey,

Thanks so much for answering. Had a quick question regarding LoR for places like Harvard, Yale (particularly Yale).

I am thinking about submitting a recommendation from a study abroad professor. I took a full, upper-level course with him, from a study abroad program that is accredited by a US university. However, he does not have his pHD and is not pursuing a pHD (I believe he just got his masters). Is this a bad idea for a school like Yale?

Thanks!

KME89

Postby KME89 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:50 am

Hi Spivey Team!

Would you say people who apply to part time programs hear back later than those applying to the same school's full time program? I know that in general the time frame people hear back is all over the place. I'm just wondering if, typically, schools wait to review the part time applications after the full time class is pretty much set. I have an application for a part-time program that was marked completed weeks ago that has yet to go into review (this school does indicate when an application has been put into review).

Thank you!

Yankees1313

Postby Yankees1313 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 am

Do you guys know when we will start hearing about the new rankings for this year?

twozeroone

Postby twozeroone » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Firstly I want to thank you for your input in this forum; it's always so helpful!
I have a question regarding my LOCI.
I have always been worried that the admissions office might be sceptical of my employability because I am a k-JD with no WE and also an international student.
After I submitted my application, I completed an internship project in December. I gave a presentation in front of managers of my department. The director of my department kindly evaluated my presentation as "perfect both in content and the way it was delivered." He highly spoke of my ability as a public speaker. Do I have to include this update in my LOCI? Will it be helpful in relieving the office's concern about my employability or will it just come off as arrogant and unnecessary?
I know that I still have a lot of things to work on to improve my abilities since I was just an intern, so I am sincerely worried..

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:03 am

Yankees1313 wrote:Do you guys know when we will start hearing about the new rankings for this year?

Soon. Usually around March 10-15.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:05 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
Yankees1313 wrote:Do you guys know when we will start hearing about the new rankings for this year?

Soon. Usually around March 10-15.

Cool! Okay to email higher ranked schools with application UR that lower ranked schools accepted you?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:07 am

twozeroone wrote:Firstly I want to thank you for your input in this forum; it's always so helpful!
I have always been worried that the admissions office might be sceptical of my employability because I am a k-JD with no WE and also an international student.
After I submitted my application, I completed an internship project in December. I gave a presentation in front of managers of my department. The director of my department kindly evaluated my presentation as "perfect both in content and the way it was delivered." He highly spoke of my ability as a public speaker. Do I have to include this update in my LOCI? Will it be helpful in relieving the office's concern about my employability or will it just come off as arrogant and unnecessary?
I know that I still have a lot of things to work on to improve my abilities since I was just an intern, so I am sincerely worried..

I'd just get s LOR from them, mentioning both the internship and the presentation. You could, alternatively, update on the internship to admission I would very much hold off on you using the word "perfect" even if quoting your boss. I tend to have an averse reaction to the use of that word.

twozeroone

Postby twozeroone » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:48 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
twozeroone wrote:Firstly I want to thank you for your input in this forum; it's always so helpful!

I'd just get s LOR from them, mentioning both the internship and the presentation. You could, alternatively, update on the internship to admission I would very much hold off on you using the word "perfect" even if quoting your boss. I tend to have an averse reaction to the use of that word.

Thank you!!! I'll follow your advice :D

Legallylawyer2020

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:43 am

Hi Spivey Team!

Just wondering if you have any insight on whether or not schools receive LSAT scores before they're released to students. Thanks!

YBF-W

Postby YBF-W » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks for all the helpful advice on this forum!

How often does mental illness come up as a reason for low gpa issues? Do you guys generally recommend writing an addendum if it relates to mental illness? Is it possible that talking about challenges around mental illness, even how one has overcome mental illness, might suggest that one can't handle a rigorous academic environment like law school? How do admissions officers view mental health? How does one talk about it so it's not viewed negatively?

alpinespring

Postby alpinespring » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Thank you guys so much for answering our questions! Very helpful.

But what do you guys make of the "slaughter" going on with Columbia this year? By that, I mean many, many applicants with LSAT & GPA at or above median (and often above 75ths too!) getting held/put on reserve.

As Mr. Spivey noted somewhere else, an applicant with LSAT & GPA above 75ths, as long as that applicant's application is "buttoned up" (and barring any C&F issues), had a very high chance (and a rather predictable outcome) of gaining admissions at most top schools.

But with Columbia this year, that doesn't seem to be the case. Applicants with top numbers (175+) aren't getting a dime (not even close to Hamilton/Butler) and in many cases, being held or put on reserve. Could you please help us poor souls understand how/why Columbia is putting so many of these top number candidates on hold? (FYI,I'm nowhere close to the 75ths, just around median. I'm just intellectually curious)

I mean... given how many of them get into other top schools (Chicago, NYU), it can't be that all of their applications are not of high quality ("buttoned up") so what could be motivating Columbia to do this? I think we'd all appreciate your expert opinion on this matter! Thank you! Wish you guys a successful business!

tinycatfriend

Postby tinycatfriend » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:51 pm

Hey guys,

I'm waiting on (many many) answers - I haven't been rejected anywhere, but just admitted to one school - and I was thinking of taking the June LSAT. If I do take it, I'm going to take a prep course this time, to hopefully up my score (I got a 169 as self-study). Would you advise shelling out for a class in March, even before I have all my answers? Or should I just keep waiting?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:00 pm

alpinespring wrote:Thank you guys so much for answering our questions! Very helpful.

But what do you guys make of the "slaughter" going on with Columbia this year? By that, I mean many, many applicants with LSAT & GPA at or above median (and often above 75ths too!) getting held/put on reserve.

As Mr. Spivey noted somewhere else, an applicant with LSAT & GPA above 75ths, as long as that applicant's application is "buttoned up" (and barring any C&F issues), had a very high chance (and a rather predictable outcome) of gaining admissions at most top schools.

But with Columbia this year, that doesn't seem to be the case. Applicants with top numbers (175+) aren't getting a dime (not even close to Hamilton/Butler) and in many cases, being held or put on reserve. Could you please help us poor souls understand how/why Columbia is putting so many of these top number candidates on hold? (FYI,I'm nowhere close to the 75ths, just around median. I'm just intellectually curious)

I mean... given how many of them get into other top schools (Chicago, NYU), it can't be that all of their applications are not of high quality ("buttoned up") so what could be motivating Columbia to do this? I think we'd all appreciate your expert opinion on this matter! Thank you! Wish you guys a successful business!

Either they are going to a YP strategy or they are interviewing these people and worried about their employability for a variety of reasons. But I promise you they are still admitting people above both their medians.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:01 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:Hey guys,

I'm waiting on (many many) answers - I haven't been rejected anywhere, but just admitted to one school - and I was thinking of taking the June LSAT. If I do take it, I'm going to take a prep course this time, to hopefully up my score (I got a 169 as self-study). Would you advise shelling out for a class in March, even before I have all my answers? Or should I just keep waiting?

By answers do you mean "decisions"? I can't tell you to pay for a course or not, but I can say that a higher June score can have huge WL implications.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”