Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.
User avatar
bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:16 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Tips for shaking off disappointment with a bad score and moving on to retake studying? So disheartening putting in a lot of work and scoring below potential for no discernible reason. Still in a funk.


Take a few days off. Take another test. Usually, you'll see an increase in score when you give your brain time to rest.

There's another possibility, however - if this is a second/third PT early in the study process, you might be going down because you are taking longer on the questions, which results in a time crunch that you didn't face when you first started your prep. If that's the case, it's really just a matter of concentrating on the questions you did get right (which hopefully align with the question types you've covered) and not worrying about the overall score.


Thank you, but I was wondering if you had tips for starting to study for a retake after my first official LSAT take (took it in February, studying for June). I'm not even at the point where I can bring myself to do PTs again.


Ah gotcha, sorry about that misunderstanding.

It's tough. I would look at my most-recent Practice Tests (where your score was presumably higher than your actual LSAT score) to remind yourself that you can do better than that. I would then spend some time just going over all the question types and basic strategies to refresh them and give yourself some time to 'center' yourself.

Then, I'd follow one of the retake guides on TLS. At this point, it really is about taking PTs and reviewing the question types with which you're struggling. Unless your prep the first time was bad, in which case it's time to start with the basics, build up the methods, practice them, and then take PTs.

User avatar
bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:37 pm

jmjm wrote:pt-36, rc:
Q2: Other answer choices (AC) in addition to the credited (c) can be argued to contain attributes that author has dismissed. AC (d) and (d) have both discrimination along educational/economic lines and lack of diversity (age for (b) and career for (d)).


The author never states that discrimination along these lines means that you don't have a community. That's an example of why a specific "community" shouldn't count as one, and it's meant to support the actual criteria offered by the author. The criteria the author uses to define a community shows up when he says, "Actual communities, on the other hand, are "nonintentional"". In short, a group that just happens to be in the same place can be a community; a group that intentionally comes together for a specific reason is not a community.

So in (B) and (D), we have people who happen to be located in the same geographical region. We didn't have a group of students all decide to form a university somewhere - we had a diverse group that ended up located in the same place and then found friends. Same in (D) - we had a group of teachers who ended up at the same school, and then they worked together. They didn't set out to all settle in the same school - they each ended up teaching there from different cities/neighborhoods.

(C), on the other hand, has a bunch of doctors specifically setting out to create a conference where there are just these doctors. They segregated themselves/set admission criteria, so they don't count as a community.

Q4: The credited AC is (e) even though the necessary criterion it states ("only if its members feel a sense of interdependence despite different economic and educational backgrounds") is always true for computer conferences and can't be used to refute the argument. Due to the use of word "despite" the above necessary criterion does not assert anything when "different economic and educational backgrounds" doesn't exist such as in computer conference.


I disagree with your reading of "despite". When it says that, as it does here, it means that having that diversity in backgrounds is in fact necessary, according to the author, for a community to exist, because they have to become interdependent in spite of their differences. If they don't have differences, they can't feel interdependent in spite of those differences, so they can't be a community because they can't have something necessary to a community.

PT-46 Sec-2 (LR-1) Q8:
answer choice (a) also weakens the argument strongly because it says that that schools need computers because "scientific knowledge is changing so rapidly". Therefore it directly weakens that premises of the argument which claim laboratory experiment to be most effective.

I am unsure if the above line of argument has been left in the answer choices by lsat writers deliberately or by accident.


Again, I disagree with your assessment. As a preliminary note, a correct answer on the LSAT will never directly weaken/contradict a premise. It will always go after the gap between the premises and the conclusion.

(A) does not, in fact, weaken the premise that lab experiments are the most effective method for teaching science. While knowledge is changing so rapidly that it is difficult for schools to keep up without computers, that doesn't mean that relying just on computers is more effective than lab experiments, or even that lab experiments are less useful. Maybe you need to have computers around to keep up with the info, but then you need to use that info in lab experiments to use the most effective teaching method. In short, even if (A) is true, it could still be true that laboratory experiments are the most effective method of teaching science, so (A) has no effect on the argument.

User avatar
bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:45 pm

lawschoolplease1 wrote:DEC 95, section 3, LR, number 11

Hey Bp! I was wondering if you can help me nitpick.

So I think the answer choice B is the best answer.
However, I think it's a bit shaky.
the stimulus basically tries to set up a chain of conditionals, and the answer choice connects the dots.
However, I don't think it's quite that clear cut.
The stimulus says the increased population "would probably result in" overcrowded schools. this isn't a suff/nec. and it would need to be suff/nec for the answer choice to follow.

Can you please shed some light?


It would probably result in overcrowded schools, but it would CERTAINLY result in congested roads that would then result in new roads being built. So forget about the schools - based on my conditionals, I will absolutely be building new roads. And the next statement tells me that I can't have new roads without substantial tax increases, so if I build those new roads, then these Glen Hill-ites will be paying substantially more in taxes.

You're absolutely right about the "would probably result in" part, and it throws that in there to throw you off. However, the information about new roads is sufficient (even without the schools) to tell you these taxes are going up.

User avatar
bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:47 pm

lsatkid007 wrote:Hey BP
Pt9 Sec2 Q13. Let me know if this makes sense.
"If the press were not profit-making, who would support it? The only alternative is subsidy and with it outside control.

The underline part I threw out and diagram this as:
~PP --> sub --> oc
sub --> p
sub --> ~oj

I didn't write the entire stim.

Thanks


I'll be honest - I can't follow your letters. Can you write out what they stand for?

User avatar
bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:56 pm

lsatkid007 wrote:Pt 14 Sec 3 #23 & 27.

#23. Where is Kolchin's principal conclusion regarding the relationship of demographics located in the passage? I really couldn't comprehend the questions. I know its strengthen question.


We get demographic information in the last sentence of the passage - "the number of workers on each estate was smaller in the [US] than was the case in Russia." (It also comes up earlier, in the first two sentences of the second paragraph.) How the population is distributed? Demographics. Kolchin concluded that the US saw fewer organized rebellions because most estates had smaller slave forces. If the ones that did see organized rebellion were the larger ones, then that bolsters his claim.

#27. The answer is D but I don't see it. On paragraph 2 line 30 it say's MOST serfs rarely saw ......., WHILE MOST southern planter lived on their land and interacted with ....... Is it because MOST southern planters lived on their land & interacted does that mean that SOME (FEW) didn't live that but instead lived like the Russians with intermediaries?


Yep, exactly right.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:04 pm

The members of the #2 Pencil Poll would like you to republish your endorsed CVS Pencil in your books and replace it with the winner of the poll in our thread. You can say it is TLS' endorsed pencil and we will rep your books on the site in return. What do you say?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:11 pm

deputydog wrote:The members of the #2 Pencil Poll would like you to republish your endorsed CVS Pencil in your books and replace it with the winner of the poll in our thread. You can say it is TLS' endorsed pencil and we will rep your books on the site in return. What do you say?

+1

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:13 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
deputydog wrote:The members of the #2 Pencil Poll would like you to republish your endorsed CVS Pencil in your books and replace it with the winner of the poll in our thread. You can say it is TLS' endorsed pencil and we will rep your books on the site in return. What do you say?

+1


Sorry my request was convoluted. I meant subsequent publications. We don't demand that you pull already printed copies.

User avatar
bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:16 pm

deputydog wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
deputydog wrote:The members of the #2 Pencil Poll would like you to republish your endorsed CVS Pencil in your books and replace it with the winner of the poll in our thread. You can say it is TLS' endorsed pencil and we will rep your books on the site in return. What do you say?

+1


Sorry my request was convoluted. I meant subsequent publications. We don't demand that you pull already printed copies.


Link?

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 pm

bp shinners wrote:
deputydog wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
deputydog wrote:The members of the #2 Pencil Poll would like you to republish your endorsed CVS Pencil in your books and replace it with the winner of the poll in our thread. You can say it is TLS' endorsed pencil and we will rep your books on the site in return. What do you say?

+1


Sorry my request was convoluted. I meant subsequent publications. We don't demand that you pull already printed copies.


Link?


http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/lsat- ... uary-lsat/

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby rebexness » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 pm


User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:18 pm

bp shinners wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Tips for shaking off disappointment with a bad score and moving on to retake studying? So disheartening putting in a lot of work and scoring below potential for no discernible reason. Still in a funk.


Take a few days off. Take another test. Usually, you'll see an increase in score when you give your brain time to rest.

There's another possibility, however - if this is a second/third PT early in the study process, you might be going down because you are taking longer on the questions, which results in a time crunch that you didn't face when you first started your prep. If that's the case, it's really just a matter of concentrating on the questions you did get right (which hopefully align with the question types you've covered) and not worrying about the overall score.


Thank you, but I was wondering if you had tips for starting to study for a retake after my first official LSAT take (took it in February, studying for June). I'm not even at the point where I can bring myself to do PTs again.


Ah gotcha, sorry about that misunderstanding.

It's tough. I would look at my most-recent Practice Tests (where your score was presumably higher than your actual LSAT score) to remind yourself that you can do better than that. I would then spend some time just going over all the question types and basic strategies to refresh them and give yourself some time to 'center' yourself.

Then, I'd follow one of the retake guides on TLS. At this point, it really is about taking PTs and reviewing the question types with which you're struggling. Unless your prep the first time was bad, in which case it's time to start with the basics, build up the methods, practice them, and then take PTs.


Thanks for your help. :)

User avatar
bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:32 pm

rebexness wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=206480


I will give them a try and then pass it along to the higher-ups, should I concur. Of course, some free samples and taking me out to dinner and a gentlemen's club might sway my opinion.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:44 pm

bp shinners wrote:
rebexness wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=206480


I will give them a try and then pass it along to the higher-ups, should I concur. Of course, some free samples and taking me out to dinner and a gentlemen's club might sway my opinion.


Once we all get our 180s using BP Products and Ticonderoga pencils, we can all have a meat up when we're at Stanford. We would love to take you to a Gentleman's club.

User avatar
bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 pm

deputydog wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
rebexness wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=206480


I will give them a try and then pass it along to the higher-ups, should I concur. Of course, some free samples and taking me out to dinner and a gentlemen's club might sway my opinion.


Once we all get our 180s using BP Products and Ticonderoga pencils, we can all have a meat up when we're at Stanford. We would love to take you to a Gentleman's club.


Bah, Stanford. Bah, I say.

Though I'd imagine their gentlemen's clubs are better than Cambridge's.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Lets go all out and go to mexico

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:51 pm

deputydog wrote:Lets go all out and go to mexico

lsatkid007
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby lsatkid007 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:33 pm

bp shinners wrote:
lsatkid007 wrote:Hey BP
Pt9 Sec2 Q13. Let me know if this makes sense.
"If the press were not profit-making, who would support it? The only alternative is subsidy and with it outside control.

The underline part I threw out and diagram this as:
~PP --> sub --> oc
sub --> p
sub --> ~oj

I didn't write the entire stim.

Thanks


I'll be honest - I can't follow your letters. Can you write out what they stand for?


Hey BP
I don't have the question on me but I will check when I get home.

How can I use the Author's Attitude to help me determine Author's Purpose & MP? Or is that even possible?

Thanks & good to see to back

User avatar
bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby bp shinners » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:20 pm

lsatkid007 wrote:How can I use the Author's Attitude to help me determine Author's Purpose & MP? Or is that even possible?


All of these are so inextricably linked that it's hard for me to believe you have a solid grasp of one without the others. They're like the 3 tentpoles of all RC passages (with some support beams when there are other viewpoints providing the extra 'shape' to each RC passage). So you should try to phrase the MP in a way that cover the Primary Purpose and Attitude, the Attitude in a way that covers the MP and PP, and the PP in a way that covers the MP and AA.

lawschoolplease1
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby lawschoolplease1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 pm

JUNE 94
SECTION 4 LR
#14

Hi Bp,

for this question, I agree that A is the best choice.

however, I wish the answer choice said "Images of paranoia presented in films made in a period MAY reflect trends in social science of that period." Instead, it doesn't have the word "MAY"
The reason is, we are only given facts about 1960s and 1970s, how are we supposed to infer how images of paranoia presented in films influence social science of other periods???
Isn't this Overgeneralization?!
:shock:

User avatar
15chocolate
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby 15chocolate » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi bp,
I have a general question.
I currently drill RC but found I barely finish all 4 passages.
I take about 3:30 (or longer) minutes to finish reading each passage to understand what it's talking about (I tried to finish passages within 3 minutes, but then I found I skip some ideas I did not get, or if I take notes, more than 4 minutes...should I take notes anyway??)
In my situation...how can I do better in RC? :(
Is it still good to take that long to read but understand, or force myself to read faster?
Is there any way to predict which detail is important?
If I cannot finish all 4 passages...I'm thinking to do only 3 passages-which I saw somewhere in this forum some people do that-which passage would you suggest to read?

Thanks for your help!

User avatar
bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby bp shinners » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:58 pm

lawschoolplease1 wrote:JUNE 94
SECTION 4 LR
#14

Hi Bp,

for this question, I agree that A is the best choice.

however, I wish the answer choice said "Images of paranoia presented in films made in a period MAY reflect trends in social science of that period." Instead, it doesn't have the word "MAY"
The reason is, we are only given facts about 1960s and 1970s, how are we supposed to infer how images of paranoia presented in films influence social science of other periods???
Isn't this Overgeneralization?!
:shock:


I wish it said "may", too. But it's a Soft Must be True question ("most strongly support"), so they can get a way with a little bit of an overgeneralization, especially since (A) is definitely a conclusion that would be supported by the stimulus. You might need more examples to definitively prove (A), but the two examples certainly support (A).

User avatar
bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby bp shinners » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:04 pm

15chocolate wrote:I take about 3:30 (or longer) minutes to finish reading each passage to understand what it's talking about (I tried to finish passages within 3 minutes, but then I found I skip some ideas I did not get, or if I take notes, more than 4 minutes...should I take notes anyway??)
Is it still good to take that long to read but understand, or force myself to read faster?


I would say that I probably take around 3:30 to read the passage, so you definitely don't need to force yourself to read faster. However, spending that much time on the passage should equate to less time spent on the questions, so you are definitely taking too long on the questions if you're running out of time overall.

Is there any way to predict which detail is important?


There is! If I read an RC passage, I can tell you what 5-6/7-8 questions are going to be before I head to them. I can also tell you what they're going to do in answer choices to try to confuse me. The stuff they ask about in RC is utterly predictable, and you can find those patterns if you spend enough time with the passages looking for them.

A few things that almost always show up:
Comparisons
Examples
Cause/Effect
Very strong statements
Commonly held/traditional beliefs
Lists of characteristics

And then the generic stuff:
Author's attitude
Primary purpose
Main point
Organization

If I cannot finish all 4 passages...I'm thinking to do only 3 passages-which I saw somewhere in this forum some people do that-which passage would you suggest to read?


I would suggest doing the 3 passages that, combined, have the most questions. This will give you the best shot at getting the most points. However, if you're also answering a lot of questions incorrectly in the denser passages, you might want to skip the one that has 8 questions (which also tends to have the densest material) so that you answer the questions you do get to correctly.

If you go with this method (and I wouldn't give up yet! - keep practicing and getting faster), then I would recommend, for the last passage, reading the first and last sentences of each paragraph and answering the questions based on that. While you won't be very accurate, using that method will usually get a few question right for you; more than just guessing (D), anyway.

lsatkid007
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby lsatkid007 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Hey BP
What do you do if you can't understand a theory or hypothesis mentioned but in second part of the paragraph has a "however". Pt 19 sec 3 passage #3 mentions 3 theories "time line" "species energy hypothesis" and a third hypothesis. In each of them they talk about the theory and latter in the paragraph say 'however". My question is, if I don't understand the first part listed in the theory can I use the "however" and information coming afterwards to help me understand the first part? It didn't work so well for this passage.

"The time line theory says ________. However, _________"

Thanks BP

lawschoolplease1
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Re: blueprint shinners’ semi-weekly office hours

Postby lawschoolplease1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:45 pm

bp shinners wrote:I wish it said "may", too. But it's a Soft Must be True question ("most strongly support"), so they can get a way with a little bit of an overgeneralization, especially since (A) is definitely a conclusion that would be supported by the stimulus. You might need more examples to definitively prove (A), but the two examples certainly support (A).


darn, i wish the LSATs practiced what it preached 100% of the time. sometimes I feel like there are little details that they excuse for themselves, yet would expect us to pick up.
thank you so much for the response though!!!!


Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests