Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.
BP Robert

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:45 pm

anonygate wrote:does the blueprint logic games book cover numerical distributions and rule equivalency/substitution q's?

Yep, we go in depth on rule equivalency questions (we call them Jabronis).

Numerical distributions isn't a term with which I'm familiar but I'd guess you're referring to what we call "Playing the Numbers." These are the types of games for which only certain numerical configurations satisfy the rules (eg you have to either have a group of 3 and a group of 2, or else a group of 4 and a group of 1). Also extensively covered in our LG book.

Let me know if you have any further q's!

MightiHeidi

Postby MightiHeidi » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi Rob,

I have a question about a specific RC question type. I'll give an example to illustrate it:
"Which one of the following words, as it is used in the passage, best serves to illustrate the author's opinion regarding [X]?"
Then it will list five quoted words from the passage. I'm really confused as to what exactly the question is asking and how to apply it. Are they asking if that word, including the sentence it's used in is illustrating the author's opinion? Or is it take the definition of that word in the context it's being used in and say that it best describes a one word response of how the author feels about X? Please help, and much appreciated!

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:54 pm

A good q!

It's more the latter, between the two options you laid out. Contexts is always key.

I'd recommend approaching this with a lot of investment in anticipation. You should consider, before looking at the answer choices, how you'd characterize the author's feelings about X and then come up with a couple plausible words/phrases. Only then should you look to the answer choices.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any further q's on this or anything else.

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:02 pm

JackelJ wrote:Hey Blueprint,

I enrolled in the in-class course and I thought it was mentioned that lsat questions were covered in the material in some form (Lesson, Homework, Clinic, or Extra Practice), but I wasn't sure. So my question is, does the Blueprint LG book contain any games that were not given in some form in the full course? Thanks

Yes ma'am! We pack a lot of material into our in-class course but with there being several hundred games out on the modern LSAT we can't get quite all of them. If LG needs some special attention I'd definitely recommend getting the Book.

Feel free to reach out to your Classroom Manager or your Instructor too, they may have some advice specific to you as well (just since I don't have the pleasure of knowing you personally).

Best of luck.

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:43 pm

In light of Columbia Law's decision to grant extensions to students in the wake of the Garner/Brown decisions, we were inspired to consider what it might be like to have to study for the LSAT under some kind of duress/distraction. Read on to find out more.

http://blueprintlsat.com/lsatblog/lsat- ... er-duress/

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:00 am

BP Robert wrote:

I enrolled in the in-class course and I thought it was mentioned that lsat questions were covered in the material in some form (Lesson, Homework, Clinic, or Extra Practice), but I wasn't sure. So my question is, does the Blueprint LG book contain any games that were not given in some form in the full course? Thanks

Yes ma'am! We pack a lot of material into our in-class course but with there being several hundred games out on the modern LSAT we can't get quite all of them. If LG needs some special attention I'd definitely recommend getting the Book.

Feel free to reach out to your Classroom Manager or your Instructor too, they may have some advice specific to you as well (just since I don't have the pleasure of knowing you personally).

Best of luck.

Thanks

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:45 pm

JackelJ wrote:
BP Robert wrote:

Best of luck.

Thanks

My pleasure :)

MattM

Postby MattM » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:27 am

Hello,

What is your take on a February LSAT exam for Fall 2015 for T14 schools outside HYS as a splitter ?....I am a 3.55/171) ( most recent Prep Test score) split

Heavily leaning towards a September / Dec 2015 take for Fall 2016 admissiosn cycle... but wanted to hear thoughts on admissions / scholarships this late in the game If i opted for a Feb take for Fall 2015 admissions

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:46 pm

MattM wrote:Hello,

What is your take on a February LSAT exam for Fall 2015 for T14 schools outside HYS as a splitter ?....I am a 3.55/171) ( most recent Prep Test score) split

Heavily leaning towards a September / Dec 2015 take for Fall 2016 admissiosn cycle... but wanted to hear thoughts on admissions / scholarships this late in the game If i opted for a Feb take for Fall 2015 admissions

Hmm if I understand your question correctly I think February will be too late for admissions, since you wouldn't be getting your scores until March. At that point your cycle may be over, although I suppose it could tip you in off a WL. Regarding scholarships I'm really not too sure, it's an interesting idea actually.

To clarify, you're hoping that you get into, say, Michigan in ~January and then in March get equipped with a ~175 to leverage for more scholarship money? It sounds like a low-risk, high-reward idea to me but I'd really advise you check with a couple schools to be sure. I'm usually pretty good for these sorts of questions but this is pretty unconventional. Can't say I've heard of anyone taking that approach before -- probably because people often want to wash their hands of the test once they're through.

Ultimately it could probably get you $ and could maybe get you off the WL somewhere. With that being said, I think the best route would be to take the year off, study hard, and obliterate the LSAT in September.

bnssweeney

Postby bnssweeney » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi, thanks in advance for helping.

I'm using your LG Book so far and I love it! I just have a question though.

I'm doing Ordering, and I'm doing the drills on page 109. I'm doing the first ordering drill, and I don't understand "Weenie's" placement. Why can't he be 3rd? I'm having trouble grasping this. I'm missing something.

MattM

Postby MattM » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:24 pm

BP Robert wrote:

Hmm if I understand your question correctly I think February will be too late for admissions, since you wouldn't be getting your scores until March. At that point your cycle may be over, although I suppose it could tip you in off a WL. Regarding scholarships I'm really not too sure, it's an interesting idea actually.

To clarify, you're hoping that you get into, say, Michigan in ~January and then in March get equipped with a ~175 to leverage for more scholarship money? It sounds like a low-risk, high-reward idea to me but I'd really advise you check with a couple schools to be sure. I'm usually pretty good for these sorts of questions but this is pretty unconventional. Can't say I've heard of anyone taking that approach before -- probably because people often want to wash their hands of the test once they're through.

Ultimately it could probably get you $ and could maybe get you off the WL somewhere. With that being said, I think the best route would be to take the year off, study hard, and obliterate the LSAT in September.

No, not nearly, I took the LSAT far too early in June 2014 ( 154)....so it is not as if I have a great score now and looking to get off a WL.....I haven't applied anywhere yet as a 154 is well off what i am excepting on Test Day...I am currently at a 168-171 range on PT's .....Should I save that potentially great score for next year's cycle instead of this one?

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:03 pm

MattM wrote:
BP Robert wrote:

No, not nearly, I took the LSAT far too early in June 2014 ( 154)....so it is not as if I have a great score now and looking to get off a WL.....I haven't applied anywhere yet as a 154 is well off what i am excepting on Test Day...I am currently at a 168-171 range on PT's .....Should I save that potentially great score for next year's cycle instead of this one?

I think you'll have to wait, unfortunately. You're too late to use that great score for this year's cycle -- Yale, for example, has an application deadline of February 28. So if you took the February exam I don't think you'd have your score in time to apply.

My advice is definitely to wait for, say, the June test. That way you can devote another few months to studying and likely get your score a lil higher. So yes, you should save that potentially great score for next year's cycle.

Best luck.

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:23 pm

BP Robert wrote:
MattM wrote:
BP Robert wrote:

I think you'll have to wait, unfortunately. You're too late to use that great score for this year's cycle -- Yale, for example, has an application deadline of February 28. So if you took the February exam I don't think you'd have your score in time to apply.

My advice is definitely to wait for, say, the June test. That way you can devote another few months to studying and likely get your score a lil higher. So yes, you should save that potentially great score for next year's cycle.

Best luck.

Completely agreed that applying next cycle is the way to go here but he could technically apply prior to the deadline and tell the schools to wait for his February score before making a decision, right? That's undoubtedly a lesser option than taking the October test and applying next cycle but I wanted to clarify whether or not sending in the app now and instructing schools to wait for the February score is even possible.

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:44 am

I think that would technically work for some schools, but certain others do explicitly preclude you from requesting a hold-off to the February exam. Their rationale is just that 1. they don't want to be made to wait like that and 2. their seemingly complete applicant pool could make some significant shifts if a number of people take February and improve their scores.

But yes, a good point -- technically some schools would allow you to apply before the deadline and ask for them to wait until your Feb scores come out. Ultimately thought, better to wait and reapply I'd say.

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:52 pm

Happy New Years Eve folks!

As you develop your resolutions, consider your LSAT goals and the following article.

http://blueprintlsat.com/lsatblog/lsat- ... -for-2015/

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:27 pm

Shake off that hangover folks and let's get back to it!

Most of you planning to take the February test will be spending this week or so hammering down fundamentals; feel free to ask away here if any questions arise.

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:18 pm

You can find Blueprint's musings and postulations about the coming changes in the legal arena at the link below!

http://blueprintlsat.com/lsatblog/law-s ... -for-2015/

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:06 am

Wanting to nail logical combinations even weirder than Kanye teaming up with this up-and-coming Paul McCarthy guy? Look no further!

http://blueprintlsat.com/lsatblog/lsat- ... mccartney/

MattM

Postby MattM » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Hello,

While not directly related to the LSAT....I was wondering if you would be comfortable answering questions about law school admissions consulting ( not for a specific company or consultant but just in broad general terms)

Is Law School so much of a numbers game ( GPA / LSAT ) that paying that $1,500+ for consulting is not worth the investment? I took an LSAT prep course and found value in that because I was able to afford it comfortably and found it useful. I also found that it helped improved my LSAT score which was an investment as each LSAT point is thousands of scholarship $ , and better job opportunities post law school graduation so I felt like I will a good return on that investment.

I wanted to get feedback from a neutral source to see if it would be worthwhile? I could afford it, but want to know how worthwhile it would be

And if I went that route what types of things should I look for when deciding which consulting service to use

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Curious to learn how the LSAT has evolved in recent years? Avid Samuel L Jackson fan? Check the link below!

http://blueprintlsat.com/lsatblog/lsat/ ... -the-lsat/

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:24 pm

While not directly related to the LSAT....I was wondering if you would be comfortable answering questions about law school admissions consulting ( not for a specific company or consultant but just in broad general terms)

Is Law School so much of a numbers game ( GPA / LSAT ) that paying that $1,500+ for consulting is not worth the investment? I took an LSAT prep course and found value in that because I was able to afford it comfortably and found it useful. I also found that it helped improved my LSAT score which was an investment as each LSAT point is thousands of scholarship $ , and better job opportunities post law school graduation so I felt like I will a good return on that investment.

I wanted to get feedback from a neutral source to see if it would be worthwhile? I could afford it, but want to know how worthwhile it would be

And if I went that route what types of things should I look for when deciding which consulting service to use

Hmm I can do my best! Blueprint actually works with a consulting firm called Anna Ivey Admissions Counseling; she's the former Dean of Admissions at the University of Chicago Law School (one of the best schools in the country) so she's a very valuable resource. That may be a good place to begin your search for consulting services.

http://www.annaivey.com/

With that being said, my general opinion is that yes, consulting can be well-worth the investment: for essentially the same reasons that LSAT prep courses are. If you're a very capable writer and you have an extensive social/professional/academic network that's willing to assist you with proofreading and editing, then perhaps paying for a consultant is unnecessary. If you're like most of us, however, a consultant can plausibly tip the scales into getting you accepted to, for example, Georgetown instead of George Washington. That often translates, as you said above, into literally tens of thousands of dollars in employment offers and/or scholarships down the line, all based off of an investment of ~$1500.

Consultants can be especially useful if you really want to get into some schools that you know are a bit of a stretch, based on your numbers, because they can help you present your "soft factors" in such a way that you look better than, say, your 3.5 GPA and 166. Most law schools do a pretty good job of looking at you holistically (beyond just the numbers) so if you do a great job on Personal Statements and Addenda that can be very compelling.

For more information, it'd help to know a little more about your specific circumstances: numbers, WE, personal narrative, URM status, etc. I'm happy to conduct that conversation here, as there's some anonymity (you can also just provide rough answers like ~3.6 GPA, low 170 LSAT, non-URM, if you'd like) or feel free to PM me.

Whatever you choose, best of luck!

MattM

Postby MattM » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:59 pm

BP Robert wrote:

Hmm I can do my best! Blueprint actually works with a consulting firm called Anna Ivey Admissions Counseling; she's the former Dean of Admissions at the University of Chicago Law School (one of the best schools in the country) so she's a very valuable resource. That may be a good place to begin your search for consulting services.

http://www.annaivey.com/

With that being said, my general opinion is that yes, consulting can be well-worth the investment: for essentially the same reasons that LSAT prep courses are. If you're a very capable writer and you have an extensive social/professional/academic network that's willing to assist you with proofreading and editing, then perhaps paying for a consultant is unnecessary. If you're like most of us, however, a consultant can plausibly tip the scales into getting you accepted to, for example, Georgetown instead of George Washington. That often translates, as you said above, into literally tens of thousands of dollars in employment offers and/or scholarships down the line, all based off of an investment of ~$1500.

Consultants can be especially useful if you really want to get into some schools that you know are a bit of a stretch, based on your numbers, because they can help you present your "soft factors" in such a way that you look better than, say, your 3.5 GPA and 166. Most law schools do a pretty good job of looking at you holistically (beyond just the numbers) so if you do a great job on Personal Statements and Addenda that can be very compelling.

For more information, it'd help to know a little more about your specific circumstances: numbers, WE, personal narrative, URM status, etc. I'm happy to conduct that conversation here, as there's some anonymity (you can also just provide rough answers like ~3.6 GPA, low 170 LSAT, non-URM, if you'd like) or feel free to PM me.

Whatever you choose, best of luck!

My current situation is Senior UG with a 3.55 GPA from a challenging university,...can however raise GPA to a 3.64 with a December graduation instead of May ( considering adding an online minor).....LSAT retaker 1st LSAT June 2014:154, most recent PT range between 168-172 with plans to retake in October ( to primarily focus on school this semester instead of juggling both and taking June LSAT).....Below average WE although since I am planning on Fall 2016 admissions instead of 2015 I do have have time to bring that up....URM status : Hispanic but not MA or PR so I am not counting on a URM boost ( possible though)

If i had to assess myself: Being somewhat of a splitter, ...although not a "super splitter" Admissions consulting may potentially help bring out a strong PS and give more advice on how to make law school admissions officers look past just my numbers,....I am certainly exploring the idea given the uncertainty with my LSAT score...if it's say a 167-169 I may need the help to go from a bubble candidate to an admit, and if I scored 170+ it may be less helpful but still maybe worth it ( of course you never know what your test day score will be so I want to plan ahead)

Would i gain in admissions by boosting my GPA from 3.55 to 3.64 and delaying graduation until Dec? ( Minor is something I would be interested so there is more motivation to pursue it than simply raise my numbers)

Let me know your thoughts my application! Thanks and appreciate the feedback

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:39 pm

Hmm I had a good friend of mine in a very similar situation, and I'd advise you as I advised him: go ahead and take that extra time. You'll be more attractive (by a small margin, but still) for having that minor plus that GPA change is very, very significant. Go ahead and check out the average required LSAT score to get into, say, UCLA with a 3.64 vs UCLA with a 3.55. Or another way to look at it, a 3.55 mostly takes you out of the running for a T6 school, but a 3.64 makes you competitive.

I almost always recommend taking your time -- unless you have atypical factors pushing you to immediacy. Get an amazing score, enjoy college (it's short and lawschool is not the same) and perfect your resume w some more review/work experience.

Further advice, I think, would require that I get an idea of your career goals and target schools.

Best of luck,

Blueprint LSAT Prep

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:43 pm

Alright alright folks, the championship games are winding down, and that means back to work! Do check in if you have any questions about the LSAT, lawschool, or anything (anything? o.0) else!

MattM

Postby MattM » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:58 am

I do not have a definitive answer on which type of law i want to practice yet, BIglaw and business law are certainly possibilities and I'll probably learn more while being in law school and through OCI's and internships. I plan on applying to and blanketing the T14/UT Austin as I feel those schools would give me the best opportunities regardless of what type of law I practice

I have no atypical reason as mentioned earlier to rush into law school and to go as fast as possible ( in fact it is often much smarter to wait), family in financing my law school so I would have no debt ( but I still want to have a great cycle admissions/ scholarships wise)

I would agree with you as well, the 3,55 to 3.64 jump in GPA, while it does look small on paper, actually is very significant....That would open up most of the T6 for admissions with the exception of YS and also would mean for the lower T14 more scholarship $....I think even passing into that 3.6 range would be huge even if I didn't get the 3.64 but got into that 3.6 bracket......While not completely similar situation, I liken my situation to an applicant with a 168 LSAT, even though it looks small on paper, turning a 168 to 169/170 makes a huge difference

Also by waiting and seeking something productive after college, Applications, test takers, medians, lower 25%'s etc are going down by the year even at the top schools, while at the same time I am only helping myself by improving my app in the resume, PS, GPA and LSAT areas, It is not inconceivable if I got a 3.64 that every school with the exceptions of Y and S are in play ( I'd say too that 3.55 to 3.64 jump puts me in play for a long shot to H or Berkeley, both of which I would be tempted to apply for in the 3.64 scenario because you miss all the shots you don't take)

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”