Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.
User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:51 pm

A couple jocks and gym-rats mentioned to me that we weren't catering enough to them. I realized they're right; we've had an inundation of Star Wars and a notable dearth of Stair Masters. Not nearly enough benchpressing, much too many bench warmers.

If you feel the same, check our blog below!

"Getting that LSAT Six-Pack After a Dismal Second Practice Exam"

http://blueprintlsat.com/lsatblog/lsat- ... tice-exam/

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:48 pm

With ~weeks remaining before the exam, its time to make sure you've got a firm grasp on the key LG techniques.
Perhaps most important of all, scenarios:

http://blueprintlsat.com/lsatblog/lsat- ... scenarios/

ITzNischay
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:35 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby ITzNischay » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:29 am

October 1994 (PT 12), Section 1, #24: Vinland Map Titanium Ink

I do not see why it is necessary to assume that titanium ink was not extremely restricted in the 15th century. A single case of the use of titanium ink prior to the 16th century, which we have, would mean that that "can no longer be regarded as a reason for doubting the map's authenticity", right?

I considered, and started, writing out a long list of objections you might make to this claim, and my counters, but I realized it would probably be much easier for both of us if I just ended my post here.

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:01 am

This question is somewhat notorious actually haha I've seen a good many students challenge (a).

I think the problem derives from your thinking that (a) suggests that "it is necessary to assume that titanium ink was not extremely restricted nt eh 15th century."

Let's say, arguendo, that the titanium was "extremely restricted" -- so much so that only Gutenberg had access to it at the time. That would allow us to continue to think that the purportedly 15th-century map may not be authentic. Gutenberg was the only one who had access at the time, and he didn't make the map, so who in that time period could of?

akechi
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby akechi » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:40 pm

Edit: Question has been answered.

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Care to humor us? :D

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:25 pm

In the meanwhile, we're coming up on some very important calls in these next few days. If you're thinking about changing your test center or postponing your test, make sure to check the link below.

http://blueprintlsat.com/lsatblog/lsat/ ... decisions/

ITzNischay
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:35 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby ITzNischay » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Thank you for answering my previous question, your explanation was helpful but to really demonstrate my gratefulness, I am going to take up even more of your time!

PT 59, S3, Q19 (LR).

I was looking at the discussion for the answer to this question on the Manhattan Prep site and they were all using this conditional logic stuff that I have yet to cover, but I got the question right. It seemed rather intuitive and trivial to me, but after looking through those rather long and involved proofs, I realized I probably just got lucky. Seeing how the last post in the Manhattan prep forum for this question was over a year ago, I figured I would have a higher probability of getting quick help here.

I spent a while trying to figure out how to word my thought process, but it always came out as too convoluted. So, instead, I am just going to post this other guy on Manhattan prep's forum who asked pretty much the same question I am asking now but didn't get an answer.

"Is this how this problem could be approached?

Since in the information, we are given in the information that at the gathering, there are bankers, athletes, and lawyers.

Meaning there is at least one of each.

Since all bankers are athletes, and we know for sure that there is a banker present, we can assume that there is at least one athlete who is also banker (not meaning that all athletes are bankers, which would be a mistaken reversal if applied universally), since for a banker to be at this meeting (which there is) he MUST be an athlete.

From this we follow the contrapositive that all bankers are not lawyers, that there is at least one athlete who is a banker, who is not a lawyer (with "at least one" being equivalent to "some"

Is this basically what you were saying?" Citation (kind of): http://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/forum ... t1940.html

User avatar
nlee10
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby nlee10 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:54 pm

Hey Blueprint,

I don't have a LSAT question.....but have you guys ever thought about scheduling the live courses so that they finish a few weeks BEFORE the actual test date? I'm taking one now for the Dec administration and I feel like there is not enough time to prepare considering the last class is either the Wed/Thurs of that week. Possibly starting and ending courses 2-3 weeks will give students more time to continue implementing Blueprint methods within a timed setting.

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:53 pm

ITzNischay wrote:Thank you for answering my previous question, your explanation was helpful but to really demonstrate my gratefulness, I am going to take up even more of your time!

PT 59, S3, Q19 (LR).

I was looking at the discussion for the answer to this question on the Manhattan Prep site and they were all using this conditional logic stuff that I have yet to cover, but I got the question right. It seemed rather intuitive and trivial to me, but after looking through those rather long and involved proofs, I realized I probably just got lucky. Seeing how the last post in the Manhattan prep forum for this question was over a year ago, I figured I would have a higher probability of getting quick help here.

I spent a while trying to figure out how to word my thought process, but it always came out as too convoluted. So, instead, I am just going to post this other guy on Manhattan prep's forum who asked pretty much the same question I am asking now but didn't get an answer.

"Is this how this problem could be approached?

Since in the information, we are given in the information that at the gathering, there are bankers, athletes, and lawyers.

Meaning there is at least one of each.

Since all bankers are athletes, and we know for sure that there is a banker present, we can assume that there is at least one athlete who is also banker (not meaning that all athletes are bankers, which would be a mistaken reversal if applied universally), since for a banker to be at this meeting (which there is) he MUST be an athlete.

From this we follow the contrapositive that all bankers are not lawyers, that there is at least one athlete who is a banker, who is not a lawyer (with "at least one" being equivalent to "some"

Is this basically what you were saying?" Citation (kind of): http://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/forum ... t1940.html


Hmm this is going to be a lil tricky without the conditional logic stuff haha

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:20 am

So, without using formal logic, let's put it this way:

If you're a banker then that means you're an athlete.
If you're a lawyer, then you're not a banker.

What can we deduce from this? First thing you should catch is that the lawyer and banker groups have no over lap. This means that outside of the lawyer group there must be some athletes (at least all those bankers, according to that first conditional).

And that's just what (c) is: "some of the athletes are not lawyers"

Make sure to check in when you start diagramming, too, to review that approach. You'll find it really speeds up the process.

User avatar
thelincolnlawyer
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:33 pm

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby thelincolnlawyer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:01 pm

Any advice for people on the fence about postponing until February/June? I am currently enrolled in the movie course and don't feel as if I will have reached my full potential score in 3 weeks. The course has been great so far, but I work full-time and haven't been able to even touch any of the extra problem sets on the website that would help to eradicate weaknesses with question types, timing, etc. My score is at least 5 points away from where I would ideally like to score, which I feel I can reach with more time (average: 161, goal: 166+). I was considering still taking the December exam in order to get the full test day experience and was hoping to get some guidance. If your advice is to postpone to February, any advice on how to use the extra Blueprint materials online for the next 3 months? There are 10 PT's I haven't taken yet, along with everything under the practice tab (clinics, problem sets, 170+ questions, etc.). Thank you for your time.

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:23 pm

nlee10 wrote:Hey Blueprint,

I don't have a LSAT question.....but have you guys ever thought about scheduling the live courses so that they finish a few weeks BEFORE the actual test date? I'm taking one now for the Dec administration and I feel like there is not enough time to prepare considering the last class is either the Wed/Thurs of that week. Possibly starting and ending courses 2-3 weeks will give students more time to continue implementing Blueprint methods within a timed setting.



Good question -- but note that while the last class ends ~Wednesday of that week, we'll have covered all the key concepts well before then. Meaning most of the new material does get to you a couple weeks before the test date, and some of those last few classes are used to practice the most difficult LRs, go over unusual games, review diagramming, discuss test-taking strategy, etc etc.

A long time ago we did actually try having classes finish a few weeks before the exam, but the reviews were generally negative because students felt like they forgot the material by the time they went to take the actual LSAT. This seems to us like the best compromise/solution.

User avatar
nlee10
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby nlee10 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:46 pm

BP Robert wrote:
nlee10 wrote:Hey Blueprint,

I don't have a LSAT question.....but have you guys ever thought about scheduling the live courses so that they finish a few weeks BEFORE the actual test date? I'm taking one now for the Dec administration and I feel like there is not enough time to prepare considering the last class is either the Wed/Thurs of that week. Possibly starting and ending courses 2-3 weeks will give students more time to continue implementing Blueprint methods within a timed setting.



Good question -- but note that while the last class ends ~Wednesday of that week, we'll have covered all the key concepts well before then. Meaning most of the new material does get to you a couple weeks before the test date, and some of those last few classes are used to practice the most difficult LRs, go over unusual games, review diagramming, discuss test-taking strategy, etc etc.

A long time ago we did actually try having classes finish a few weeks before the exam, but the reviews were generally negative because students felt like they forgot the material by the time they went to take the actual LSAT. This seems to us like the best compromise/solution.


I see your guys' point. I guess my opinion varies differently than my peers. :wink: I definitely attribute BP in helping me reach 160! I postponed till Feb so I can hone in on my weaknesses and work on timing. So thanks!

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:25 am

thelincolnlawyer wrote:Any advice for people on the fence about postponing until February/June? I am currently enrolled in the movie course and don't feel as if I will have reached my full potential score in 3 weeks. The course has been great so far, but I work full-time and haven't been able to even touch any of the extra problem sets on the website that would help to eradicate weaknesses with question types, timing, etc. My score is at least 5 points away from where I would ideally like to score, which I feel I can reach with more time (average: 161, goal: 166+). I was considering still taking the December exam in order to get the full test day experience and was hoping to get some guidance. If your advice is to postpone to February, any advice on how to use the extra Blueprint materials online for the next 3 months? There are 10 PT's I haven't taken yet, along with everything under the practice tab (clinics, problem sets, 170+ questions, etc.). Thank you for your time.



I'm of the opinion that you should be consistently scoring two or three points above your target score before you sit the test. If you're not there by December, then waiting until February would be a good move. I don't think it's worth getting the test day experience -- it's best if you just submit one strong LSAT score. No cancellations, no retakes, etc.

I would strongly, but unofficially advise that you print those 10 Pt's ;) plus whatever other materials you'll need.

Best luck!

User avatar
thelincolnlawyer
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:33 pm

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby thelincolnlawyer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:34 pm

I plan on paying to extend the online materials if I switch it to February, but thank you for the unofficial advice nonetheless! Any advice on how to use the extra problem sets along with the PTs over the following 3 months?

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:39 pm

thelincolnlawyer wrote:I plan on paying to extend the online materials if I switch it to February, but thank you for the unofficial advice nonetheless! Any advice on how to use the extra problem sets along with the PTs over the following 3 months?


Hmm I think just the relatively intuitive suggestion to go through, after a PT, and note all the things you missed (2 weaken qs, 3 flaws, 1 mbt, for example). Then you should be using the extra problems to drill those three categories. Ideally, you'll be able to identify all your weak areas and focus your energies on them.

Glad to hear you're extending, I think that's a good move.

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Feeling like studying for the LSAT is the last thing in the world you want to do?

Check out the blog post below!

http://blueprintlsat.com/lsatblog/lsat- ... t-fatigue/

westave
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:19 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby westave » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi, thanks for doing this!

I'm retaking the LSAT in Dec (scored a 159 in Sept after PT-ing around 163/4 with a high of 169 two weeks before the test - blamed nerves and a headache in section 4 for the 159). Lately I've been noticing that around the end of the 3rd section mental fatigue catches up with me and I miss questions I could easily get right if I wasn't mentally tired. Do you have any advice for this?

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:27 am

Happy to help, glad you're finding it useful :)

This is always a tricky realm because there are so many individual differences and idiosyncrasies involved in the mental game. And, to be honest, even if I knew you on a close personal level it's unlikely I could offer anything really clever here. All the same, here's my attempt:

1. Get the most you can out of your break so that your mental fatigue doesn't carry on past that third section. This may involve walking around, eating, socializing, nervously wringing your hands -- whatever it is that'll most bring you, individually, bak to your A-game.

2. A couple of the points mentioned above are key. Anyone studying for the LSAT really should give a little thought to what they're going to eat the morning of and at break. Poor or inadequate eating before the test could definitely explain the mental fatigue.

3. You wouldn't think it needs to be said, but do get a great night's sleep before PTs and the real thing. Also a great possible explanation for fatigue.

4. Drill like the test. For this issue, that involves carving an hour and forty-five minutes out of your schedule and taking the full three sections straight thru as many times as possible. It comes down, to some degree, to building your stamina.

5. When you are hit with mental fatigue and are blanking on a question, it can in some situations be a good idea to jump to the next. You're sitting on a time-sucking vortex, so move quickly.

Best luck! I'll post more if anything else comes to mind.

justdoit11
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby justdoit11 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:07 am

BP Robert wrote:A word of advice for those of you deciding whether or not to take the September test:

1. Take a practice test (obvs). Hold your feet to the fire and do it under times conditions, just like the actual LSAT.

2. Take a practice test untimed. At your own pace, work thru the test but employ the same methods you would under timed conditions.

3. Compare your scores.

If your untimed test is around your target score, but your timed is lacking, then that may be an indication that you have the skills down and just need to worry about drilling to get faster. Do so; it's more than likely that you can get your time up in these next five weeks.

If your score on the untimed test is also much below your target score, that'd suggest that your fundamentals require some fine tuning, prior to your speed-up practice. If you're in the same position a couple weeks from now, I might advise that you save your 180 for December.

Best of luck.




Just to clarify, take the same practice test twice (one timed, one untimed)? or do you mean take two different PTs and compare results?

Im planning on taking the Dec test and been scoring average 168/169 on the practice tests Ive done so far but this means nothing to me since I took these tests before (in june while studying for sept, only leaving 5 untouched tests). I took a fresh test today and actually scored alot lower (163). I performed far worse in RC (with the most questions wrong in the 4th passage--definitely partly a timing issue--and I suck at reading) and I ran out of time for both reasoning sections, mainly because I took longer with finding gaps/ assumptions / isolating argument in the necessary assumption questions/denser questions. Also knowing that I was taking a fresh test, hoping to perform atleast 165+ on this fresh pt along with my nerves did not help me at all under timed pressure. So should I take the next fresh pt and do it under timed/ untimed conditions and see? Im hoping to atleast reach for 170 in the next two weeks (which seems really short to me, while bp would tell me that it IS possible to improve points) but it doesnt seem plausible to me right now after todays pt. Any advice?


Also, how can I improve timing in this next week or two? I dont think the problem is taking a timed section, but the idea of taking the whole 5 section test that mentally tires me out (which you addressed in the previous post).

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Improving timing is going to come with 1) being perfectly familiar with the concepts, 2) perfectly familiar with the techniques and execution, and 3) lots of drilling.

Taking an untimed PT, on a test you've never tried before, will give you an idea of the max score you're capable of based strictly on your understanding of the method.

User avatar
BP Robert
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby BP Robert » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:26 am

We're heading into the final week folks!

If there's anything that your sharp minds and steady hands are still struggling with, let me know what I can do to help!

anonygate
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:35 am

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby anonygate » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:07 pm

does the blueprint logic games book cover numerical distributions and rule equivalency/substitution q's?

User avatar
JackelJ
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Re: Blueprint LSAT Prep's ongoing ask-an-instructor extravaganza

Postby JackelJ » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:07 pm

Hey Blueprint,

I enrolled in the in-class course and I thought it was mentioned that lsat questions were covered in the material in some form (Lesson, Homework, Clinic, or Extra Practice), but I wasn't sure. So my question is, does the Blueprint LG book contain any games that were not given in some form in the full course? Thanks


Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest