Should I wait until I'm admitted in America to apply for Canadian NCA? Forum

This forum is designed to assist those who are looking at law schools outside the US. Please use this forum for these kinds of discussions.
Auxilio

Silver

Should I wait until I'm admitted in America to apply for Canadian NCA?

Post by Auxilio » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:06 pm

I'm a Canadian recent graduate of a US institution.  I plan on working in the state for a few years before going back to Canada, but also want to get started on the NCA process as soon as possible.  Is there any benefit in waiting to get admitted to the California bar before applying for assessment from NCA?   

dolphtrx

New

Re: Should I wait until I'm admitted in America to apply for Canadian NCA?

Post by dolphtrx » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Auxilio wrote:I'm a Canadian recent graduate of a US institution.  I plan on working in the state for a few years before going back to Canada, but also want to get started on the NCA process as soon as possible.  Is there any benefit in waiting to get admitted to the California bar before applying for assessment from NCA?   
If you're planning to work in the US, you should get admitted to the California bar asap. The NCA process depends a bit on which province you want to be admitted to. For example, ON allows foreign articles in some cases, so you may be able to write the ON bar and get admitted there without having to article in Canada. From there, you could simply transfer your admission to another province. My recommendation is to specifically inquire with the relevant law society. They are generally quite responsive and helpful.

Auxilio

Silver

Re: Should I wait until I'm admitted in America to apply for Canadian NCA?

Post by Auxilio » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:05 am

dolphtrx wrote:
Auxilio wrote:I'm a Canadian recent graduate of a US institution.  I plan on working in the state for a few years before going back to Canada, but also want to get started on the NCA process as soon as possible.  Is there any benefit in waiting to get admitted to the California bar before applying for assessment from NCA?   
If you're planning to work in the US, you should get admitted to the California bar asap. The NCA process depends a bit on which province you want to be admitted to. For example, ON allows foreign articles in some cases, so you may be able to write the ON bar and get admitted there without having to article in Canada. From there, you could simply transfer your admission to another province. My recommendation is to specifically inquire with the relevant law society. They are generally quite responsive and helpful.
Thanks for the reply, based on a response in lawstudents.ca I already applied for NCA. I had already taken the CA bar (and just passed) but was wondering if I should wait before sending in NCA stuff until I got my results. Was told there that all it does is add more paperwork.

I'm not sure where I would work in Canada yet, I just want the groundwork down for when I eventually leave since the US is increasingly crazy.

Thanks for your help

Return to “Non-US Law Schools Forum”