Where to take New York Bar Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Philza

New

Where to take New York Bar Exam

Postby Philza » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi all,

I was told that the testing conditions in Javits Center are awful and that I should take the bar elsewhere. Anyone know what the best NY testing center is in New York State?

QContinuum

Re: Where to take New York Bar Exam

Postby QContinuum » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:19 pm

It's difficult to say for sure, because I don't think anyone has direct personal experience with each of the various test sites, so no one's in a position to make a direct comparison. That said, Saratoga Springs is reputed to be the "best", and you also hear good things about Buffalo and White Plains. Albany is kind of neutral - haven't heard specific praise, haven't heard horror stories.

An important consideration is travel. If you'll need to fly to NY, testing at Javits may well be the most convenient option, followed by Albany and Buffalo. You don't want to have to deal with the ground transportation hassle of getting from NYC to White Plains, or Albany to Saratoga Springs.

Another important consideration is cost. Saratoga Springs, as a resort town, is shockingly expensive to stay in (assuming you want to stay within walking distance of the test center, which is highly advisable). Plane tickets to Albany or Buffalo are typically more expensive than tickets to NYC.

Finally, seat priority goes to first-time examinees who received a J.D. from a NY State law school. If this is not you, you'll be limited to choosing from sites that still have seats left over. NYC and White Plains tend to fill up first, so you shouldn't bank on getting a seat at either (though it's not impossible, especially if you act within minutes of the seat selection email coming in). You will, however, almost certainly still be able to choose between Albany, Buffalo and Saratoga Springs, assuming you act promptly. Albany tends to fill up before Buffalo, and Buffalo tends to fill up before Saratoga Springs.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Re: Where to take New York Bar Exam

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:38 am

I took it in Buffalo and didn't really have any issues but then again I'm not a very picky person to begin with.

The desks are fairly large and you share it with one other person. There were a couple large rooms, the one I was in had a relatively reasonable room temperature. During the test, the room was quiet (for obvious reasons) and you couldn't really hear anything outside of the room. Nothing really to complain about, pretty standard testing conditions all around, which is really all you can ask for.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�