Bar Exam Passage Rate is up to 80% Nationwide for 1st-timers! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tlsadmin3

Bar Exam Passage Rate is up to 80% Nationwide for 1st-timers!

Post by tlsadmin3 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Congratulations to those who took the bar exam in 2019! For the 1st time in 5 years bar passage rates have gone up (+5% from the previous year)! Here is some cool data:

Six schools hit the Ultimate pass rate of 100% for their 2017 classes: Concordia University, Yale, University of Virginia, University of Pennsylvania, Duke and the University of Chicago.

Nine schools failed to meet the new standard that requires 75% of graduates pass the bar within two years of graduation. Those schools are: Charleston school of Law, Florida A&M, Atlanta's John Marshall, Florida Coastal School, University of South Dakota, Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, Mississippi College, The University of the District of Columbia and Faulkner University.

What do you think about this?

Let's keep this upward trend going for 2020!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Bar Exam Passage Rate is up to 80% Nationwide for 1st-timers!

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:20 pm

Concordia confirmed elite

We're back to a full T14 8)

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:01 pm

Apparently in 2019, 33 Concordia grads sat for the bar, and 22 passed. Woohoo!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:46 pm

This is great news.....but devil's avocado (tm: Tracey Morgan 30 rock)....the legal profession seems to rely, at least in part, on the mystique and image associated with having a difficult bar exam.

So, I think it's wonderful news, but I don't know that this is particularly news that the profession wants, as a whole, because extremely high bar passage rates makes it look like the test isn't as hard as it is.

However, people should ride this wave of amazing bar passage rates for as long as they can.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:16 pm

Kind of surprised we're not seeing more schools on that less-than-75% list. Several schools in California must have barely cleared the standard (does it still apply to schools like Thomas Jefferson and Whittier that are either closing or going non-ABA?), as well as a handful in the Southeast. Also, I'd take the 5% bump this year with a grain of salt: last year (2018) was an historic bad year for bar passage, so this could be more of a regression to the mean than actual new progress.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:15 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:This is great news.....but devil's avocado (tm: Tracey Morgan 30 rock)....the legal profession seems to rely, at least in part, on the mystique and image associated with having a difficult bar exam.

So, I think it's wonderful news, but I don't know that this is particularly news that the profession wants, as a whole, because extremely high bar passage rates makes it look like the test isn't as hard as it is.
Is that actually the case, though? Before I decided to go into law, as a member of the general public I had zero awareness of the difficulty of the bar exam, let alone any differences in pass rate between different states or graduates of different law schools.

I do think you are right that there is a certain mystique and image associated with being a lawyer, that is maintained in large part by the perception of the profession being difficult to enter. But I think that's more a function of the perceived/assumed difficulty of getting into/graduating from law school. I've never been aware of any perception of the bar exam functioning as a critical gatekeeper preventing unqualified J.D. recipients from joining the bar. If anything, I think it'd hurt public perception of lawyers if it became widely known that oodles of J.D. graduates every year lack the competency required to pass the bar exam.

Put another way: Doctors' perceived mystique/image has not been affected in any way by the fact that basically no M.D. graduate ever fails the USMLE.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:51 pm

QContinuum wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote: Put another way: Doctors' perceived mystique/image has not been affected in any way by the fact that basically no M.D. graduate ever fails the USMLE.
Sure, but M.D. programs are way harder to get into than 98% of law schools. You can get shut out of US M.D. programs with grades/test scores that will get you into half the T14. That screens out most of the goofballs who would otherwise give the profession a bad name.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:56 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Sure, but M.D. programs are way harder to get into than 98% of law schools. You can get shut out of US M.D. programs with grades/test scores that will get you into half the T14. That screens out most of the goofballs who would otherwise give the profession a bad name.
This is true, but I was talking about the public's perception. The perception - which is, in fact, erroneous - is that it's tough to get into law school - any law school. That's why (some) people are impressed when they hear such-and-such's son/daughter's a lawyer - they assume it's tough to get into law school, that it's not something many/most people could do. That's why, e.g., we have oodles of 0Ls on here, year after year, exclaiming about how they're so pumped they "made it" into law school and how we're so mean and unsupportive for telling them the law school(s) they got into aren't worth attending for their goals.

FWIW, the med schools have it right, IMO. Folks should be screened out prior to matriculation, not by a licensure exam after spending 3/4 years of their life and assuming tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars of non-dischargeable student debt.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:43 pm

White Dwarf wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote: Put another way: Doctors' perceived mystique/image has not been affected in any way by the fact that basically no M.D. graduate ever fails the USMLE.
Sure, but M.D. programs are way harder to get into than 98% of law schools. You can get shut out of US M.D. programs with grades/test scores that will get you into half the T14. That screens out most of the goofballs who would otherwise give the profession a bad name.
I think this it. People perceive law as a difficult and prestigious profession to get into. I don't think it functionally changes that perception whether the weeding out process is done at the beginning or at the end.

So, if you have a system where "everyone" can get into law school and "everyone" can get licensed, think it changes that perception.

I think it's far more fair to the student to weed them out at the beginning and not the end, but that's another discussion.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:06 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:So, if you have a system where "everyone" can get into law school and "everyone" can get licensed, think it changes that perception.
I mean, that's kind of the system we already have, though. Yes, there are news stories of folks trying and failing to pass the CA bar time after time, but those are the outliers, not the norm. Look at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/lega ... tatistics/. Bar passage rates are extremely high, even for T3/T4 law schools that are very easy to get into.

It's just that, somehow, public perception hasn't quite caught up to reality.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”