How I passed July 2019 CA bar (Second Time Taker)

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
CA Bar Repeater

New

How I passed July 2019 CA bar (Second Time Taker)

Postby CA Bar Repeater » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:01 pm

I just found out that I passed the CA bar this time and I still could not believe it. It really is God's grace that I am able to pass it this time. I got lucky with the essay graders. You may think releasing subjects ahead of the exam helped as well. I do not think so because the essays are more difficult (almost all race horse type of essays) compared to previous years'.

I am already registered to practice in AZ and I moved laterally to CA last year. I took the Feb 2019 CA bar and failed by 35 points with non-stopping studying for 6 weeks (including taking the bar exam). Let me rant a little before I dive in what I did differently the 2nd time. Failing the CA bar once made me more humble and compassionate. I used to think that people who do not pass CA is because they do not study. After my first failed attempt, I understand that you can still fail if the luck is not on your side. For the first time, I spent a lot of time making outlines and remembering the black letter law. I only practiced about 800 MBE questions and I got 1418 for MBE. Due to spending a lot of my time trying to memorize the black letter law, I did not practice a lot of essays. I got 65, 70, 62.5, 50, 55, and 60 for PT. I totally bombed the evidence/civ pro essay even though I thought I wrote a lot. For PR, I missed one major issue which is not covered by Barbri PR lecture (of course it was in the long convisor outline).

My firm was gracious enough to let me take it a second time. I hired a tutor for my essays and I practiced a lot more MBE questions with Adaptibar. To be honest, I don't think the tutor helped me a lot and it was very expansive. Actually, Essay Exam Writing for the CA Bar Exam book helped me the most. A lot of the witting tips from the tutor can be found in the introduction section of the book. The book has some sections that are a bit outdated so you have to supplement the book with some other bar review resources. I used Barbri. After practicing more essays, I start to memorize cluster issues that need to be addressed in order to get at least a 65. I also heard from my friends that BarEssay is really helpful and helped them to see cluster issues. I think spotting cluster issues is a good bench mark for doing OK on the essays.

For MBE, I had to practice more questions because I am not good at multiple choices. Towards the end of my bar prep, I had been scoring 77%-82% correct on mixed set of 100 questions. I am guessing that I might have scored 1500 this time on the MBE portion. I also think that people should put more effort into MBE to off set the possibility of getting a tough grader. I would aim for 80% accurate rate to give yourself more comfort in passing the bar.

As for PT, according to my tutor, the graders care more about the completeness of the rule statements and the overall essay. If you are short on time, you can be thin on some fact analysis but never on rules and conclusions. I practiced about 5 PTs and the tutor graded all 5 of them. My PT score increased from 60 to 70/75 following the tutor's advice.

Again, I am glad that I passed on my second try. My heart goes to anyone who did not pass this time because I know you all studied hard. I hope my post helps and if anyone wants any free bar prep materials, please PM me. Materials include a whole set of Barbri books (outlines & practice questions & barely used), critical pass cards, and an essay writing book.

rcharter1978

Gold

Re: How I passed July 2019 CA bar (Second Time Taker)

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:07 pm

Congratulations. Totally agree that essays can be a matter of getting lucky.

Someone posted their scores once between a first and second read. If they had gotten the second grader first they would have passed. Just bad luck.

And good on you for giving away your materials. I did the same after I passed. I only asked that whoever got my materials cover the cost of shipping. I think it's a great thing to pay it forward, so many people can't afford bar study materials.

SilvermanBarPrep

Partner

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:57 pm

I very much agree with your 80% assessment. That is not a number that is required, but if you hit it you're in very good shape for passing the entire exam.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

NYBar_

New

Postby NYBar_ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 am

CA Bar Repeater wrote:I just found out that I passed the CA bar this time and I still could not believe it. It really is God's grace that I am able to pass it this time. I got lucky with the essay graders. You may think releasing subjects ahead of the exam helped as well. I do not think so because the essays are more difficult (almost all race horse type of essays) compared to previous years'.

I am already registered to practice in AZ and I moved laterally to CA last year. I took the Feb 2019 CA bar and failed by 35 points with non-stopping studying for 6 weeks (including taking the bar exam). Let me rant a little before I dive in what I did differently the 2nd time. Failing the CA bar once made me more humble and compassionate. I used to think that people who do not pass CA is because they do not study. After my first failed attempt, I understand that you can still fail if the luck is not on your side. For the first time, I spent a lot of time making outlines and remembering the black letter law. I only practiced about 800 MBE questions and I got 1418 for MBE. Due to spending a lot of my time trying to memorize the black letter law, I did not practice a lot of essays. I got 65, 70, 62.5, 50, 55, and 60 for PT. I totally bombed the evidence/civ pro essay even though I thought I wrote a lot. For PR, I missed one major issue which is not covered by Barbri PR lecture (of course it was in the long convisor outline).

My firm was gracious enough to let me take it a second time. I hired a tutor for my essays and I practiced a lot more MBE questions with Adaptibar. To be honest, I don't think the tutor helped me a lot and it was very expansive. Actually, Essay Exam Writing for the CA Bar Exam book helped me the most. A lot of the witting tips from the tutor can be found in the introduction section of the book. The book has some sections that are a bit outdated so you have to supplement the book with some other bar review resources. I used Barbri. After practicing more essays, I start to memorize cluster issues that need to be addressed in order to get at least a 65. I also heard from my friends that BarEssay is really helpful and helped them to see cluster issues. I think spotting cluster issues is a good bench mark for doing OK on the essays.

For MBE, I had to practice more questions because I am not good at multiple choices. Towards the end of my bar prep, I had been scoring 77%-82% correct on mixed set of 100 questions. I am guessing that I might have scored 1500 this time on the MBE portion. I also think that people should put more effort into MBE to off set the possibility of getting a tough grader. I would aim for 80% accurate rate to give yourself more comfort in passing the bar.

As for PT, according to my tutor, the graders care more about the completeness of the rule statements and the overall essay. If you are short on time, you can be thin on some fact analysis but never on rules and conclusions. I practiced about 5 PTs and the tutor graded all 5 of them. My PT score increased from 60 to 70/75 following the tutor's advice.

Again, I am glad that I passed on my second try. My heart goes to anyone who did not pass this time because I know you all studied hard. I hope my post helps and if anyone wants any free bar prep materials, please PM me. Materials include a whole set of Barbri books (outlines & practice questions & barely used), critical pass cards, and an essay writing book.

Hey, I failed the New York bar in July 2019 due to my poor performance on the MPT (the folder library assignment). I too used to think that people that failed just didn’t study. I studied more than anyone of my friends that passed and now I realize 2% of this exam is really luck. I had a really tough grader for my MPT. Anyway, I would love any advice you may have for me. I know you took the CA bar, but the advice might still help. I would also appreciate your materials except for BARBRI materials as I have those already. Please contact me at Mikayla.lowe2323@gmail.com thank you

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?