UBE/Colorado Bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Law2020!

New

UBE/Colorado Bar

Postby Law2020! » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:00 pm

How important is it to take Secured Transactions and/or Criminal Procedure in law school in preparation for the bar?

theswisswereright

New

Re: UBE/Colorado Bar

Postby theswisswereright » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:13 pm

I took the UBE this July. I had taken Secured Transactions... and it didn’t even show up on the MEE. I liked the class because the professor was fun, but I don’t know if I’d take it JUST for the bar exam. It made studying that subject easier, but it’s only one out of several that are potential essay topics that aren’t on the MBE. My advice would be to take Property. It was hell learning that the first time for the bar.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:56 am

theswisswereright wrote: My advice would be to take Property. It was hell learning that the first time for the bar.

Where is Property not a required class?

OP: Do not take any class solely for bar prep purposes.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Law2020! wrote:How important is it to take Secured Transactions and/or Criminal Procedure in law school in preparation for the bar?

I did not take Crim Pro and did fine on the UBE. I think Secured Transactions is a very worthwhile class, but I agree with the above posters that it doesn't make sense to take it solely for bar purposes.

theswisswereright

New

Postby theswisswereright » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:42 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
theswisswereright wrote: My advice would be to take Property. It was hell learning that the first time for the bar.

Not to out myself, but my law school was weird on requirements, had a couple different breeds of property course, and I took the one that wasn’t bar-relevant for me. I have no idea what other law schools require! Insert shrug here.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:46 pm

theswisswereright wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Not to out myself, but my law school was weird on requirements, had a couple different breeds of property course, and I took the one that wasn’t bar-relevant for me. I have no idea what other law schools require! Insert shrug here.

That is weird. I thought property was pretty uniform across ABBA-accredited schools.

theswisswereright

New

Postby theswisswereright » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:43 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
theswisswereright wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

That is weird. I thought property was pretty uniform across ABBA-accredited schools.

I’ll tell you my law school is definitely ABA-accredited, but you had the option to take either regular property or a very state-law specific property course. I made a bad call and screwed myself for bar study. Apparently this isn’t a mistake it’s possible to make at most schools, so that’s a relief. I also passed the bar anyway, so that’s another relief!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?