HELP PLEASE huge delay on admission C & F 2nd dept

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nyattorney1015

New

HELP PLEASE huge delay on admission C & F 2nd dept

Postby Nyattorney1015 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:03 pm

Hello,

So after receiving a passing UBE score on my first try (July 2017) I have been in the admission process for 2 years. Part of the delay is the fact that I missed my first chance at taking the new online test that is required since the switch to the UBE.

Most of the delay however, is due to character and fitness. I went on my first interview in December 2018 and while the interview went great the interview said the amount of tabs on my folder meant he had to refer me to a panel hearing. I later read he felt although I had the requisite C and F he felt the process would be "good" for me. Keep in mind the reason I was being referred to a sub committee were for things I had done as a minor (17 years old) and no felony convictions. They were drug related misdemeanors.

So 17 years after my infractions, I head to a sub committee who recommends me for admission. I get the later finally in July a very humbling, touching, letter voting for admission 33-0 (the entire committee) In my mind, I'm home free. Well, I wasn't! Here we are the last day of October and I still haven't received a date or letter to swear in. I have been in contact with the clerk of the court since the summer. but it hasn't helped.

Has anyone heard of a delay this bad? Does anyone know what kind of recourse or redress I have for this situation? From what I understand "the court" is the actual committee with a reading of the current laws on admission. Can I just appear at the court and ask for my final application to be heard? The delay is getting crazy, it has caused plenty of burden, and I don't think I should permit to continue any longer, I just don't know how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LSATWiz.com

Partner

Re: HELP PLEASE huge delay on admission C & F 2nd dept

Postby LSATWiz.com » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:44 pm

Nyattorney1015 wrote:Hello,

So after receiving a passing UBE score on my first try (July 2017) I have been in the admission process for 2 years. Part of the delay is the fact that I missed my first chance at taking the new online test that is required since the switch to the UBE.

Most of the delay however, is due to character and fitness. I went on my first interview in December 2018 and while the interview went great the interview said the amount of tabs on my folder meant he had to refer me to a panel hearing. I later read he felt although I had the requisite C and F he felt the process would be "good" for me. Keep in mind the reason I was being referred to a sub committee were for things I had done as a minor (17 years old) and no felony convictions. They were drug related misdemeanors.

So 17 years after my infractions, I head to a sub committee who recommends me for admission. I get the later finally in July a very humbling, touching, letter voting for admission 33-0 (the entire committee) In my mind, I'm home free. Well, I wasn't! Here we are the last day of October and I still haven't received a date or letter to swear in. I have been in contact with the clerk of the court since the summer. but it hasn't helped.

Has anyone heard of a delay this bad? Does anyone know what kind of recourse or redress I have for this situation? From what I understand "the court" is the actual committee with a reading of the current laws on admission. Can I just appear at the court and ask for my final application to be heard? The delay is getting crazy, it has caused plenty of burden, and I don't think I should permit to continue any longer, I just don't know how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That's a shitty situation. Obviously, the person who said you should pass, but that you'd benefit from a formal hearing did you no favors. If the facts you presented are accurate, I could see mandating counseling as being reasonably calculated to be a favor even if it was unnecessary because it won't make you worse off and can make you better off. I fail to see how subjecting you to a formal hearing that delayed your admission indefinitely could have been seen as something in your benefit.

I think a C&F lawyer could probably have helped significantly, but if they gave you an official letter voting to swear you in then it sounds like that's moot now. It's evident you are frustrated and while that frustration is natural, you want to keep it reserved as the people you are frustrated with are the ones who hold all the power and may interpret such frustration as hostile. Regardless of their decision, you're not in the clear until you're actually sworn in so don't want to do anything that makes them rethink admitting you. If anything in your history suggests you struggle with impulse control, it's possible this is a test. However, what's most likely is you simply got lost in the paperwork. Many committees have swear in's every month, but that being said it does take 2-3 months to go from having everything in to being sworn in so you're not radically outside that timeline.

Nyattorney1015

New

Postby Nyattorney1015 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:44 pm

Thank you for your response I sincerely appreciate it. However, most of what you said read like a stream of consciousness that was plucked from my very brain! Literally, you went through my exact thought process to a tee.

So, my vote from the committee was forwarded to the court in early July (they were out of session until the end of August) Originally, I immediately waived the 60 day period to produce additional evidence. The clerk told me "we hope to take up your application in September." Since that initial email in July I have emailed her a total of 5 times. I advised her the last one would be my last and I have remained polite as possible since the very beginning. She even said "sorry" for the first time in the last one a few days ago.

The first guy who said "the process could benefit him" ya he was way off the mark. My grandmother who raised me passed away watching me wait in frustration and I officially had job opportunity pulled on October 15th. I took those words right out of his letter which was attached to the final letter for recommendation. Thanks again for your response, it actually makes me feel a little better that a practicing attorney had pretty much the exact thoughts and rationale that I have myself had throughout the last part of this brutal process.

LSATWiz.com

Partner

Postby LSATWiz.com » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:54 pm

Nyattorney1015 wrote:Thank you for your response I sincerely appreciate it. However, most of what you said read like a stream of consciousness that was plucked from my very brain! Literally, you went through my exact thought process to a tee.

So, my vote from the committee was forwarded to the court in early July (they were out of session until the end of August) Originally, I immediately waived the 60 day period to produce additional evidence. The clerk told me "we hope to take up your application in September." Since that initial email in July I have emailed her a total of 5 times. I advised her the last one would be my last and I have remained polite as possible since the very beginning. She even said "sorry" for the first time in the last one a few days ago.

The first guy who said "the process could benefit him" ya he was way off the mark. My grandmother who raised me passed away watching me wait in frustration and I officially had job opportunity pulled on October 15th. I took those words right out of his letter which was attached to the final letter for recommendation. Thanks again for your response, it actually makes me feel a little better that a practicing attorney had pretty much the exact thoughts and rationale that I have myself had throughout the last part of this brutal process.

It's easy to spot emotionally charged writing if you spend most of your day reading objective writing, and I was trying to adopt your perspective based on the facts you presented.

I do think you are approaching it in a fundamentally wrong way. You can only give an ultimatum if you have something the other person wants. They don't gain anything by swearing you in so your saying "this is the last time" won't get you anywhere. If anything, it would just anger the other person. Again, this is not legal advice but stating that you were under the impression you were cleared to be sworn in three months ago and have been going through the process for two-years so would greatly appreciate it if you can get a definitive bar date would probably go a longer way. Once again, this is not legal advice, but just how I would approach the situation.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�