Taking UBE in one state w/o applying for admission to bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LWS939497

New

Taking UBE in one state w/o applying for admission to bar

Postby LWS939497 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:54 pm

I want to take the bar in one UBE jdx (VT) so that I can take the bar before I graduate, but then want to practice in another UBE jdx w/o gaining admission to the VT bar. Does anyone know if that is allowed? I am afraid that I will take the UBE, get a passing score, but then my score will be voided because I didn't apply for admission to the VT bar. (Basically, an unofficial courtesy sit).

QContinuum

Re: Taking UBE in one state w/o applying for admission to bar

Postby QContinuum » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:22 pm

LWS939497 wrote:I want to take the bar in one UBE jdx (VT) so that I can take the bar before I graduate, but then want to practice in another UBE jdx w/o gaining admission to the VT bar. Does anyone know if that is allowed? I am afraid that I will take the UBE, get a passing score, but then my score will be voided because I didn't apply for admission to the VT bar. (Basically, an unofficial courtesy sit).

Some states permit courtesy testing, others (e.g., NY) don't. You'll have to look to VT's rules. If there's nothing posted online, reach out to the VT bar examiners. This is one of those things where certainty is worth going to a bit of extra trouble. The last thing you want is to create a C&F issue for yourself.

As long as it's okay with VT, then you can do it. Other states won't care. (Folks can even fail the bar in one UBE jx but port that "failing" score and get admitted in another UBE jx with a lower threshold.)

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�