Failed by 1pt and then .5pt

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TristanIsolde

New

Failed by 1pt and then .5pt

Postby TristanIsolde » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 am

Failed FL by 1 pt last time in 2018 needed 136 (got 135) moved to UBE in 2019 failed by .5 needed 130 (got 129.5).

I feel like I’m done. Obviously GOD or SATAN doesn’t want me to be a lawyer. All kidding aside, I feel like totally worthless shit especially because my father told me last time only mediocre people failed exams by 1pt. Yeah, that sort of comment can only add fuel to the fire. I haven’t told him I failed by .5pt this time just feel like running to the hills and hiding in shame.

Any alternative careers you guys think I could pursue? Thanks and take care. Best of luck to those of you who made it. Know that some stranger somewhere is proud of you.

lawlawlawdy

New

Re: Failed by 1pt and then .5pt

Postby lawlawlawdy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:01 pm

Don't give up. Take it again. If this is truly not an option, seek out positions in the Big 4 or other types of transactional work where your JD will benefit them but you are not necessarily providing legal advice. Also, don't let your dad's words get to you. That's a statement of his character and has nothing to do with your potential or worth. For real.

SilvermanBarPrep

Partner

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:19 pm

That's a rough thing for him to have said. When you're 1 or 5 points away with a little luck it could have been otherwise. A good guess here or there and you would have passed. Nobody should ever quit when that close to passing. My advice could be different to those who fail by a very wide margin multiple times; but you're the opposite of that.

Lesion of Doom

New

Postby Lesion of Doom » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:18 pm

I'm not going to downtalk your old man, but that's something an asshole would say.

Anyway, you should keep going given how close you are. You'll get there!

goodkarma56

New

Postby goodkarma56 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:31 pm

That is a tough, but manageable situation. Firstly, totally disregard your father's snide comment. His opinion is irrelevant to you and your career and do not put any stock into it at all. Secondly, get back on that horse and redouble your preparation efforts. It'll be a tough slog, but if you go full bore and commit to studying like you never have before, you'll very likely pass and this crucible will come to an end. Good luck.

Avian

Bronze

Postby Avian » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:20 pm

Brush yourself off and retake it! You're so close!

With all due respect, your father doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. The people who are mediocre are the ones failing by 50+ points and have taken the bar way more than twice.

1 point or 0.5 points is practically a rounding error. The way I see it you've essentially done just about well enough to pass the bar twice already! You get a couple more questions right on the MBE (an incredibly achievable goal with more studying) and you will pass.

LaShuanMichelle

New

Postby LaShuanMichelle » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:09 pm

TristanIsolde wrote:Failed FL by 1 pt last time in 2018 needed 136 (got 135) moved to UBE in 2019 failed by .5 needed 130 (got 129.5).

I feel like I’m done. Obviously GOD or SATAN doesn’t want me to be a lawyer. All kidding aside, I feel like totally worthless shit especially because my father told me last time only mediocre people failed exams by 1pt. Yeah, that sort of comment can only add fuel to the fire. I haven’t told him I failed by .5pt this time just feel like running to the hills and hiding in shame.

Any alternative careers you guys think I could pursue? Thanks and take care. Best of luck to those of you who made it. Know that some stranger somewhere is proud of you.

Third times the charm... dont give up... refocus, get re-inspired, build your confidence... you clearly know the content... this time its all about strategy!

Your story sounds like mine... took the DC bar July 2017 (245), Feb 2018 (257), and finally July 2018... I almost passed the first two times... third time I only had to take the MEE/MPT portion of the exam... this was actually the most difficult part of the exam for me (112.8, 119.5, then 133.9)... & in DC if you retake only one part you need to score at least 133 on that part.... which meant I wouldnt have the MBE portion of the exam to help me which was the easier part of the exam for me.

I put my frustrations, my anger & fears aside, I focused on my exam writing techniques & I retook the exam... I actually got my highest MEE/MPT score of all my exams.

Dont give up... you can do it!

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Is there not an option for a hand regrade? I'm California I think you can have your materials regraded by hand (for a small fee of course) if you are like 5 points within passing or something like that. If I was a half a point away from passing and that was an option id do that.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?