Reading Tea Leaves Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
akjim101

New

Reading Tea Leaves

Post by akjim101 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:24 am

Today, I received a message from my State Bar association asking for me to explain why I disclosed moving violations to the, that I did not put on my application to law school. This was honestly due to misreading the application question, I thought it said not to include traffic violations when it in fact wanted them. I provided the explanation, I assume this won’t be a huge issue.

However, this is my question: would they contact me about this if I had failed the bar? Do they do the character and fitness check on all applicants or only the ones who passed the bar? Basically, my thought is that it doesn’t make sense for them to use all the time and effort to check every applicant, only those who passed. Am I way out in left field? Has anyone here had the bar question you about your character and fitness 5 months after submitting your application and then find out you failed the exam?

I know I’m grasping at straws and trying to read tea leaves, but I’m just trying to reassume myself that I have a chance to have passed the bar. Waiting 10 weeks to get results is killer.

cabinetdrawer20

New

Re: Reading Tea Leaves

Post by cabinetdrawer20 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:54 am

How is anyone supposed to answer this question without knowing your jurisdiction? In my jurisdiction, for example, you have to get certified by the character and fitness board before even sitting for the exam. You obviously aren't in my state or a state like mine, but that still doesn't narrow things down enough. I think the timing of Character and Fitness certification is most definitely unrelated to bar passage in the majority of states, if not all.I don't blame you for being anxious, but maybe you've answered your own question? No use in "reading the tea leaves" so to speak. And to anyone else reading, no, random surveys your jurisdiction may send in the coming weeks have no bearing on whether you passed or not, neither do innocuous e-mails asking you to update your e-mail address/ physical address / phone number. The answer my friend, is NOT blowing in the wind..Rather, it's for you to find out on {insert jurisdiction release date here}.

b290

Bronze

Re: Reading Tea Leaves

Post by b290 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:31 am

akjim101 wrote:would they contact me about this if I had failed the bar? Do they do the character and fitness check on all applicants or only the ones who passed the bar?
The C&F and exam processes are two separate tracks. One has no bearing on successful completion of the other. The only way they're connected is when you're done with everything, you get a notice telling you that you can get sworn in.
akjim101 wrote:Has anyone here had the bar question you about your character and fitness 5 months after submitting your application and then find out you failed the exam?
As per the above, it can happen. You can pass the exam and still have issues with Character and Fitness or vice versa.
akjim101 wrote:This was honestly due to misreading the application question, I thought it said not to include traffic violations when it in fact wanted them. I provided the explanation, I assume this won’t be a huge issue.
Just explain as you did here, and you should be fine (provided there aren't any other issues that come up). Any other questions would depend on your jurisdiction (which you did not provide in the OP). I also add the disclaimer that a character and fitness attorney would sufficiently address your concern(s) better than myself.

In short, there are no "tea leaves" to read. At this point, your only option is to wait. Good luck!

My $.02

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”