Should I supplement BarMax with Adaptibar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Cans25

New

Should I supplement BarMax with Adaptibar?

Post by Cans25 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:38 am

I am taking the 2020 February Tennessee UBE.

I graduated law school in 2000 and took and passed the NH and MA bars. I moved to TN and even with 19 years experience I do not qualify for admission on motion because I’ve worked part time while being a stay at home mom the last few years, so I have no choice but to take the bar. Needless to say, everything is different.

I am starting to study now because I have three young kids, with lots of activities and also am trying to set up my law office (I’m planning to open my own practice soon). So I don’t have 8 or more hours a day to study.

I signed up for BarMax because it seems the most flexible and I can do it in smaller chunks over a longer period of time, unlike Barbri or the like which is more intensive short term studying.

My question is, should I supplement with Adaptibar, or will I just be getting duplicates of the questions in BarMax? I would like more questions than what BarMax gives (roughly 1300).

If I should also do Adaptibar, anyone have a referral code they care to share? Thank you!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Re: Should I supplement BarMax with Adaptibar?

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Both of these programs primarily use the questions that have been licensed by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) so most likely you'll be seeing a lot of duplicates. It's possible that there are some questions that were created by each company (especially in Civ Pro) but for the most part I'd advise against buying both. At the very least wait to see whether you need more questions after working through all the questions on BarMax. It might be tough just to get through those!

--Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:50 pm

Cans25 wrote:I am taking the 2020 February Tennessee UBE.

I graduated law school in 2000 and took and passed the NH and MA bars. I moved to TN and even with 19 years experience I do not qualify for admission on motion because I’ve worked part time while being a stay at home mom the last few years, so I have no choice but to take the bar. Needless to say, everything is different.

I am starting to study now because I have three young kids, with lots of activities and also am trying to set up my law office (I’m planning to open my own practice soon). So I don’t have 8 or more hours a day to study.

I signed up for BarMax because it seems the most flexible and I can do it in smaller chunks over a longer period of time, unlike Barbri or the like which is more intensive short term studying.

My question is, should I supplement with Adaptibar, or will I just be getting duplicates of the questions in BarMax? I would like more questions than what BarMax gives (roughly 1300).

If I should also do Adaptibar, anyone have a referral code they care to share? Thank you!
I agree with SilvermanBarPrep. One should be enough, as the two programs overlap. If you're really looking for sheer number of questions, AdaptiBar is your program. Otherwise, BarMax should be fine.

My $.02

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:52 pm

I agree with the above - BarMax is a good alternative if AdaptiBar is too expensive for you. Other study tools for perfecting your MBE performance are below.

1) Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics for the MBE - available on Amazon. Fairly cheap book. Has good tips on approaching the MBE and contains lots of practice questions.

2) Adaptibar (http://www.adaptibar.com) - I didn't use this, but wish I had since it has received raving reviews. The only con to Adaptibar is the price.

3) Barmax MBE Questions (https://getbarmax.com/barmax-mbe-questions/ - supposedly "comparable" to Adaptibar). It's a good price and significantly cheaper than AdaptiBar, but Adaptibar has tracking tools to individualize your MBE study and show your progress in a method that Barmax can't.

4) OPE from the MBE site to practice the most recent test questions: http://store.ncbex.org/all-online-practice-exams/. OPE it isn't the cheapest option, but these are real, recent MBE questions and not the souped up Barbri ones. Barbri questions are not representative of the modern MBE. I hear Barmax has all these OPEs included.

5) Critical Pass (http://criticalpass.refr.cc/8DPT944 referral link contains a discount code for $$ off) - Great flashcards for the MBE! You can't apply the law to an MBE question, if you don't know the law. I used Critical Pass for my bar study along with the CMR from Barbri and their simulated questions (although the Barbri questions are very different than actual MBE questions). I also used Emanuel's S&T during my study period, but not as much as I should have since it's a great resource.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:53 pm

Use BarMax if you are on a budget or Adaptibar if cost isn't an issue. You shouldn't need both. I think Adaptibar has more data analysis of how you are doing compared to BarMax.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”