Waive in DC-Pending Report

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rothchan

New

Waive in DC-Pending Report

Postby rothchan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:59 am

It seems that there is no thread specifically concerning about this, but I know many people who apply to waive in DC by motion are really upset about the efficiency of COA. So here is the place.

I paid the application fee in January and NCBE finalized my report in March, but I stuck in stage 3 pending report for almost five months. Just want to know how many people have successfully certificated recently by waiving in?

How long have you waited?

bob311

Bronze

Re: Waive in DC-Pending Report

Postby bob311 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:31 am

Similar timeline. Nothing yet, but was recently told by the COA when I called that it will likely be 12 months minimum, so probably not until next January or so.

rothchan

New

Postby rothchan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:43 am

bob311 wrote:Similar timeline. Nothing yet, but was recently told by the COA when I called that it will likely be 12 months minimum, so probably not until next January or so.

Previously they told me the whole process will take about 8 to 10 months and asked me to check back around in late August. Maybe I have to send an e-mail within the next two weeks.

Count1234

New

Postby Count1234 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:27 pm

I think it's really hit or miss. I applied January 2018 and didn't get approved until March 2019. I believe my application just fell through the cracks though. After I applied I was in the NCBE background check stage pretty much the entire time my application was pending. A helpful timeline:

January 2018 - Application submitted and application is in NCBE background check stage
Mid 2018 (Maybe June/July) - Received notice from NCBE that my employer didn't verify that I worked there; followed up with employer
August 2018 - Received notice from NCBE that my employer submitted the verification form, but noted that I no longer worked there (I had recently left for a clerkship); submitted new employment information for current employer to verify
December 2018 - I reached out to the NCBE person who was running my background check and asked what the holdup was; she responded to tell me she had approved and closed my file in August
January 2019 - I tried to call the DCCA, but they were closed because of the government shutdown
March 2019 - I call the DCCA and ask about what's going on with my application and let them know that I already confirmed with the NCBE that NCBE had approved my background check in August; they tell me to check back in 3 days if I don't hear anything; a couple hours after the call my application was approved

If it's been a suspiciously long period of time I would just follow up. I only waited so long to follow up because I was clerking and didn't have any need to be barred in DC.

Edited to add: several friends that also waived in were approved within 12 months.

rothchan

New

Postby rothchan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:19 am

Count1234 wrote:I think it's really hit or miss. I applied January 2018 and didn't get approved until March 2019. I believe my application just fell through the cracks though. After I applied I was in the NCBE background check stage pretty much the entire time my application was pending. A helpful timeline:

January 2018 - Application submitted and application is in NCBE background check stage
Mid 2018 (Maybe June/July) - Received notice from NCBE that my employer didn't verify that I worked there; followed up with employer
August 2018 - Received notice from NCBE that my employer submitted the verification form, but noted that I no longer worked there (I had recently left for a clerkship); submitted new employment information for current employer to verify
December 2018 - I reached out to the NCBE person who was running my background check and asked what the holdup was; she responded to tell me she had approved and closed my file in August
January 2019 - I tried to call the DCCA, but they were closed because of the government shutdown
March 2019 - I call the DCCA and ask about what's going on with my application and let them know that I already confirmed with the NCBE that NCBE had approved my background check in August; they tell me to check back in 3 days if I don't hear anything; a couple hours after the call my application was approved

If it's been a suspiciously long period of time I would just follow up. I only waited so long to follow up because I was clerking and didn't have any need to be barred in DC.

Edited to add: several friends that also waived in were approved within 12 months.

Thanks for sharing! At least now I have some thoughts about when I should contact them.

Honikane

New

Postby Honikane » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:25 pm

rothchan wrote:It seems that there is no thread specifically concerning about this, but I know many people who apply to waive in DC by motion are really upset about the efficiency of COA. So here is the place.

I paid the application fee in January and NCBE finalized my report in March, but I stuck in stage 3 pending report for almost five months. Just want to know how many people have successfully certificated recently by waiving in?

Don't say I said...but it will take on average 10-12 months. No way around it. The NCBE usually completes their investigation within 3-4 months if you have an uncomplicated background BUT COA will then completely ignore investigation results once returned by the NCBE forever!. Their reasoning is always either prepping for the bar exam, grading the bar exam, or prepping to release results of the bar exam. It never changes and they even recently updated their guidance to extend the wait times for waive-ins.

Unfortunately, there is no way around it (believe me I tried) so you just need to pack your patience. If you start calling/emailing after 5-6 months they will ignore you. I would say start asking questions at month 9-10.

P.S.They most likely already have your report from the NCBE but you know...they're grading bar exams :roll:

rothchan

New

Postby rothchan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:53 am

Honikane wrote:
rothchan wrote:It seems that there is no thread specifically concerning about this, but I know many people who apply to waive in DC by motion are really upset about the efficiency of COA. So here is the place.

Don't say I said...but it will take on average 10-12 months. No way around it. The NCBE usually completes their investigation within 3-4 months if you have an uncomplicated background BUT COA will then completely ignore investigation results once returned by the NCBE forever!. Their reasoning is always either prepping for the bar exam, grading the bar exam, or prepping to release results of the bar exam. It never changes and they even recently updated their guidance to extend the wait times for waive-ins.

Unfortunately, there is no way around it (believe me I tried) so you just need to pack your patience. If you start calling/emailing after 5-6 months they will ignore you. I would say start asking questions at month 9-10.

P.S.They most likely already have your report from the NCBE but you know...they're grading bar exams :roll:

I have made an inquiry about my application status twice in the past two months but they totally ignored my e-mails. Nine months have gone.

purpleparrot

New

Postby purpleparrot » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:20 pm

I applied in mid-December 2018. NCBE completed my background investigation and sent it to the admissions committee in late April 2019, but my application status still says "The NCBE is currently performing your background investigation." I asked the committee what the deal was around mid-August and I got an email in response basically saying to expect the entire process to take 10-12 months.

rothchan

New

Postby rothchan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:16 pm

purpleparrot wrote:I applied in mid-December 2018. NCBE completed my background investigation and sent it to the admissions committee in late April 2019, but my application status still says "The NCBE is currently performing your background investigation." I asked the committee what the deal was around mid-August and I got an email in response basically saying to expect the entire process to take 10-12 months.

We are on the same boat. You stuck at stage 3 "pending report" as well but actually the NCBE has already completed our investigations. One thing I don't understand is: if the "entire" process will take around 10-12 months to complete (previously they told me 8-10 months but you know 8) ), at least now the COA has to start to review our reports to ensure that we can swear in within 10-12 months (but they don't promise anything). According to my knowledge, after they receive our reports, it may take around a month to review. So, ideally, we can hear something from them next month (finger crossed).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:33 pm

Just to make sure I have this right.. you would apply to waive into DC AFTER taking the bar in another state and receiving your results?

purpleparrot

New

Postby purpleparrot » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just to make sure I have this right.. you would apply to waive into DC AFTER taking the bar in another state and receiving your results?

Yes. If you waive in using your MBE score you must be admitted in the state where you took the MBE. I think if you waive in based on your UBE score you do not necessarily have to be admitted before doing so (but not sure because I did the MBE waive-in).

For anyone who was following this thread--I'm still waiting.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�