Waive in DC-Pending Report

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
rothchan

New

Waive in DC-Pending Report

Postby rothchan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:59 am

It seems that there is no thread specifically concerning about this, but I know many people who apply to waive in DC by motion are really upset about the efficiency of COA. So here is the place.

I paid the application fee in January and NCBE finalized my report in March, but I stuck in stage 3 pending report for almost five months. Just want to know how many people have successfully certificated recently by waiving in?

How long have you waited?

bob311

Bronze

Re: Waive in DC-Pending Report

Postby bob311 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:31 am

Similar timeline. Nothing yet, but was recently told by the COA when I called that it will likely be 12 months minimum, so probably not until next January or so.

rothchan

New

Postby rothchan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:43 am

bob311 wrote:Similar timeline. Nothing yet, but was recently told by the COA when I called that it will likely be 12 months minimum, so probably not until next January or so.

Previously they told me the whole process will take about 8 to 10 months and asked me to check back around in late August. Maybe I have to send an e-mail within the next two weeks.

Count1234

New

Postby Count1234 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:27 pm

I think it's really hit or miss. I applied January 2018 and didn't get approved until March 2019. I believe my application just fell through the cracks though. After I applied I was in the NCBE background check stage pretty much the entire time my application was pending. A helpful timeline:

January 2018 - Application submitted and application is in NCBE background check stage
Mid 2018 (Maybe June/July) - Received notice from NCBE that my employer didn't verify that I worked there; followed up with employer
August 2018 - Received notice from NCBE that my employer submitted the verification form, but noted that I no longer worked there (I had recently left for a clerkship); submitted new employment information for current employer to verify
December 2018 - I reached out to the NCBE person who was running my background check and asked what the holdup was; she responded to tell me she had approved and closed my file in August
January 2019 - I tried to call the DCCA, but they were closed because of the government shutdown
March 2019 - I call the DCCA and ask about what's going on with my application and let them know that I already confirmed with the NCBE that NCBE had approved my background check in August; they tell me to check back in 3 days if I don't hear anything; a couple hours after the call my application was approved

If it's been a suspiciously long period of time I would just follow up. I only waited so long to follow up because I was clerking and didn't have any need to be barred in DC.

Edited to add: several friends that also waived in were approved within 12 months.

rothchan

New

Postby rothchan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:19 am

Count1234 wrote:I think it's really hit or miss. I applied January 2018 and didn't get approved until March 2019. I believe my application just fell through the cracks though. After I applied I was in the NCBE background check stage pretty much the entire time my application was pending. A helpful timeline:

January 2018 - Application submitted and application is in NCBE background check stage
Mid 2018 (Maybe June/July) - Received notice from NCBE that my employer didn't verify that I worked there; followed up with employer
August 2018 - Received notice from NCBE that my employer submitted the verification form, but noted that I no longer worked there (I had recently left for a clerkship); submitted new employment information for current employer to verify
December 2018 - I reached out to the NCBE person who was running my background check and asked what the holdup was; she responded to tell me she had approved and closed my file in August
January 2019 - I tried to call the DCCA, but they were closed because of the government shutdown
March 2019 - I call the DCCA and ask about what's going on with my application and let them know that I already confirmed with the NCBE that NCBE had approved my background check in August; they tell me to check back in 3 days if I don't hear anything; a couple hours after the call my application was approved

If it's been a suspiciously long period of time I would just follow up. I only waited so long to follow up because I was clerking and didn't have any need to be barred in DC.

Edited to add: several friends that also waived in were approved within 12 months.

Thanks for sharing! At least now I have some thoughts about when I should contact them.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�