Take UBE In NY Without Intending to Be Barred in NY?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kangroo

New

Take UBE In NY Without Intending to Be Barred in NY?

Postby kangroo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:19 pm

I'm already barred in another state.

For whatever reason, let's say I'm not interested in being barred in New York.

But the bar exam in New York is very cheap, at $250.

Are there any issues with taking the UBE in New York, transferring the UBE score to states where I want to be barred (when I have more funds), and not following through with C&F or the state-specific online classes and exam?

Just an "oops, things got too busy and I changed my mind, I don't want to be barred in NY anymore"? Or will New York get upset and try to get back at me or something?

QContinuum

Re: Take UBE In NY Without Intending to Be Barred in NY?

Postby QContinuum » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:32 am

First off, it actually costs $350 to take the UBE in NY ($250 plus $100 laptop fee), unless you're comfortable writing the bar by hand.

As to the meat of your question, NY requires candidates to "certify that that they are a bona fide applicant for admission to the bar in New York in order to sit for the bar exam in New York." See Question 33.

https://www.nybarexam.org/UBE/UBE.html

JoeSeperac

Postby JoeSeperac » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:20 pm

I was told by another J19 examinee that only Maine and New Mexico offer courtesy seating for the UBE (i.e. not seeking admission there but just to have a UBE score and the applicant decides where to transfer it).

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:28 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:I was told by another J19 examinee that only Maine and New Mexico offer courtesy seating for the UBE (i.e. not seeking admission there but just to have a UBE score and the applicant decides where to transfer it).

Great to know. Wonder how that examinee found out - did they actually look into all 50 states' bar policies?! That's a heckuva way to procrastinate studying - much admiration to that fellow.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�