UBE or MBE for DC waive in?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
DrPangloss

New

UBE or MBE for DC waive in?

Postby DrPangloss » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi,

I took the New York bar exam last year and just got sworn in. I'm now trying to waive into DC and I see that there are two options: (1) transferring my UBE score (DCCA Rule 46(d)(3)) or (2) transferring my MBE score (Rule 46(e)(3)(B)). Apart from the obvious differences between these provisions--i.e., that you don't need to be a member of any state bar under the UBE provision--is one better to proceed under than the other? Is one cheaper? Does the MBE option cross-apply the other state's C&F results?

sleeplessindc

New

Re: UBE or MBE for DC waive in?

Postby sleeplessindc » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 pm

DrPangloss wrote:Hi,

I took the New York bar exam last year and just got sworn in. I'm now trying to waive into DC and I see that there are two options: (1) transferring my UBE score (DCCA Rule 46(d)(3)) or (2) transferring my MBE score (Rule 46(e)(3)(B)). Apart from the obvious differences between these provisions--i.e., that you don't need to be a member of any state bar under the UBE provision--is one better to proceed under than the other? Is one cheaper? Does the MBE option cross-apply the other state's C&F results?

You know what, I looked at the specific Rule 46 provisions closely and couldn't tell either, except for that transferring the MBE score only requires it to be at least 133 AND that the applicant be an admitted member of the other state bar. (In contrast, the 266 minimum score required for transferring a UBE score means your MBE score could be <133, and the rule itself doesn't say the applicant must already be admitted elsewhere.) I also couldn't find a fee schedule online, but that might be because I didn't look terribly hard.

As for character and fitness, I assume that DC will conduct its own review of whatever you submit to NCBE -- although I'm not really sure. It looks like every jurisdiction has its own C&F application form & criteria though. See, e.g., https://law.yale.edu/system/files/area/ ... l_2017.pdf.

If you can't get a quick and full answer from the admissions committee, you could create two dummy accounts in the DC Bar application portal and try starting applications using the two different methods. Presumably the required fees will be listed in the portal then, like they are now for applicants using the bar exam method.

(If you find out, I hope you'll report back.)

DrPangloss

New

Re: UBE or MBE for DC waive in?

Postby DrPangloss » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:16 pm

sleeplessindc wrote:
DrPangloss wrote:Hi,

You know what, I looked at the specific Rule 46 provisions closely and couldn't tell either, except for that transferring the MBE score only requires it to be at least 133 AND that the applicant be an admitted member of the other state bar. (In contrast, the 266 minimum score required for transferring a UBE score means your MBE score could be <133, and the rule itself doesn't say the applicant must already be admitted elsewhere.) I also couldn't find a fee schedule online, but that might be because I didn't look terribly hard.

As for character and fitness, I assume that DC will conduct its own review of whatever you submit to NCBE -- although I'm not really sure. It looks like every jurisdiction has its own C&F application form & criteria though. See, e.g., https://law.yale.edu/system/files/area/ ... l_2017.pdf.

If you can't get a quick and full answer from the admissions committee, you could create two dummy accounts in the DC Bar application portal and try starting applications using the two different methods. Presumably the required fees will be listed in the portal then, like they are now for applicants using the bar exam method.

(If you find out, I hope you'll report back.)

Thanks for the response. My firm will pay for the fees, whatever they are, so I really just care about how much time and effort on my part each route entails. But it looks like nobody really knows.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�