Don’t Lose Hope Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
b290

Bronze

Don’t Lose Hope

Post by b290 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:27 pm

I wrote something earlier. To save you all that longer version (also considering this is an update), here's my story:

I applied to law school. Even with my terrible UGPA (I was a premed before I switched to prelaw, so just imagine :shock: ), somehow, I got in somewhere. Obviously, I didn’t get into the best school. Despite that, I treated law school like this undergrad. I failed out by 1L, coming back home in shame. I worked whatever job I could find. After some years, I eventually reapplied - to the same school. I eventually completed law school. When I graduated, I thought I’d pass and find something quickly. I didn't pass.

All of my plans collapsed. On top of that, because of some other issues (unrelated to the exam), I couldn’t retake that exam for several years. If I were to be an attorney soon, I’d have to take another state. In the meantime, I accumulated bills and got into seriously financial issues. What made it worse, I couldn’t pay anything because finding a stable job wasn’t possible. I got taken to court, accumulated judgments.

I eventually got a job that could pay for expenses. It was a non-legal job, but beggars can't be choosers. I however started to pay back whatever I could. But I got stuck in (repeater) “bar exam hell.” At one point, I had missed my state by a few points, but I did ask around my classmates elsewhere if they knew who was hiring. A couple gave me some job leads, and I was good. So now, I had a prospective job but no license.

Once I knew I didn’t need to take another exam, I spent much of my energy paying back the debts I accumulated. I settled where I could, paid the balances where I couldn’t. I made sure I systematically eliminated them. I also regularly sent documentation of this. Of course the NCBE took its sweet time - 7 months. Apparently, it sat on my file. Couldn’t do a thing about it but wait.

My file was handed over to the state Board. I got called for an interview (expected due to my history). I was a nervous wreck. I basically thought I bombed it. Before I left for home, in complete panic mode, I later wrote a detailed letter, making the case that I would’ve were I not so nervous. Went back home thinking I wrecked my chances again. I was told I’d hear from the Board in a few weeks. A month went by - nothing - which only reinforced that.

So I emailed the Board. I was told I’d be admitted. Today marks just over 11 months since I sent my application. I’ve been out of the legal field for a bit, but that can be made up in no time. In short:

1. Plan, plan, plan - and act on it.
2. It’s the future that matters, not your past.
3. Don’t ever give up.

It’s possible. You’ve got this. If this could give inspiration to one person, my job is complete.

Did I say "don’t give up". I don't think I made that clear :lol:

My $.02

perfunctory

Bronze

Re: Don’t Lose Hope

Post by perfunctory » Tue May 28, 2019 10:29 pm

Must have been a tough journey. Good for you.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 pm

Glad it all worked out. It makes my journey (which seemed tough) to be quite a bit easier by comparison. I have a good job, had financial troubles in the past (largely due to my wife's illnesses/health), resolved them, we now own our own home and have pretty good credit now and I have a very good job; just have to pass that Bar.

Thanks for the encouragement.

--fpkjd

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:00 pm

perfunctory wrote:Must have been a tough journey. Good for you.
Thank you!
fpkjd wrote:Glad it all worked out. It makes my journey (which seemed tough) to be quite a bit easier by comparison. I have a good job, had financial troubles in the past (largely due to my wife's illnesses/health), resolved them, we now own our own home and have pretty good credit now and I have a very good job; just have to pass that Bar.

Thanks for the encouragement.

--fpkjd
Yours was no joke: dealing with finances + a life & death situation. That you're still at it is a testament to your fortitude. :D

You'll definitely pass. When the "off the field" stuff settles down, it's only a matter of time. I'll post details in my reply (to your post elsewhere).

Thanks! Congratulations & keep up the hope.

My $.02

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:05 am

An update. Due to a combination of backlog (literally only a few people to handle hundreds of applications), and my recommendation coming right before July exam activities, I couldn't get attended to until after all that - August. I'm finally getting sworn in a week.

Just posting to say that delays can happen, even at this stage :lol:

My $.02

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:46 pm

Congrats!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”