Themis July 2019

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
fan1430

New

Re: Themis July 2019

Postby fan1430 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:02 pm

The_miss wrote:Where are you getting those section percentages. Did you calculate them yourself?

Yep I just added the am and pm sessions for each subject and calculated the percentages so I could compare each subject to how I normally do.

Course progress -> Practice exams -> overview -> switch to detailed view by subject

aw2768

New

Postby aw2768 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:31 am

Dunnkirk85 wrote:
cherryfilter wrote:wondering what our "goal score" is for this practice test...definitely found the PM harder than AM.
UGH GAUD.

Before I entered scores it said we should be scoring between 110-120 at this point in the course

Where did you see this? This makes me feel better about my score. I got a 70 on the AM session but totally bombed the PM session...

cherryfilter

New

Postby cherryfilter » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:04 am

aw2768 wrote:
Dunnkirk85 wrote:
cherryfilter wrote:wondering what our "goal score" is for this practice test...definitely found the PM harder than AM.
UGH GAUD.

Before I entered scores it said we should be scoring between 110-120 at this point in the course

Where did you see this? This makes me feel better about my score. I got a 70 on the AM session but totally bombed the PM session...

If you click on practice exam --> MBE exam #3 AM or PM --> under "About this Test"

It says: "Typically, students answer between 110-120 actual questions correctly at this stage of the course."

wyoming92

New

Postby wyoming92 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:50 am

The 110-120 is a nice number range. Lord knows I’m not at the 76% range as some others. I also have been doing less independent MBE memorizing with flash cards, and mostly focused on drilling and focusing on my essay answers for the FL bar. I feel more comfortable with the essays so at least that’s a stressor off my back while I refocus on MBE...

I got 120 right. Not where I want to be, but that’s what the next few weeks are all about. Practicing weak spots and subtopics or rereading a particular outline on something I keep messing up...

As frustrating as it is...learning by failure and practicing is one of the best study and retention methods. I see why Themis tries to put in enough triggers of failure in the course to help you learn from it and make it stick.

Also, the Tanicius guide to bullsh*tting essay topic thread on here was a godsend to teach me secured transactions before the graded essay last week...

The_miss

New

Postby The_miss » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:06 am

wyoming92 wrote:The 110-120 is a nice number range. Lord knows I’m not at the 76% range as some others. I also have been doing less independent MBE memorizing with flash cards, and mostly focused on drilling and focusing on my essay answers for the FL bar. I feel more comfortable with the essays so at least that’s a stressor off my back while I refocus on MBE...

I got 120 right. Not where I want to be, but that’s what the next few weeks are all about. Practicing weak spots and subtopics or rereading a particular outline on something I keep messing up...

As frustrating as it is...learning by failure and practicing is one of the best study and retention methods. I see why Themis tries to put in enough triggers of failure in the course to help you learn from it and make it stick.

Also, the Tanicius guide to bullsh*tting essay topic thread on here was a godsend to teach me secured transactions before the graded essay last week...

I can’t find the guide you’re referencing. Could you link?

HairySmokeball

New

Postby HairySmokeball » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:14 pm

The_miss wrote:
wyoming92 wrote:The 110-120 is a nice number range. Lord knows I’m not at the 76% range as some others. I also have been doing less independent MBE memorizing with flash cards, and mostly focused on drilling and focusing on my essay answers for the FL bar. I feel more comfortable with the essays so at least that’s a stressor off my back while I refocus on MBE...

I can’t find the guide you’re referencing. Could you link?

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=249162

These were a God send. I am a retaker and I did pretty well on the essays, much in part due to these guides.

Dunnkirk85

New

Postby Dunnkirk85 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:39 pm

How does everyone grade essays in Themis? I feel like we have no guidance on what we should be getting on each one, etc. I know other companies give checklists and rubrics to grade with. The model answers don't really help me much

ipsares

New

Postby ipsares » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:43 pm

146 - i appreciate the themis questions - they def been tougher than adaptibar -

ipsares

New

Postby ipsares » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Dunnkirk85 wrote:How does everyone grade essays in Themis? I feel like we have no guidance on what we should be getting on each one, etc. I know other companies give checklists and rubrics to grade with. The model answers don't really help me much

Idk if you have ever read the model answers from california but i find them much better written - its hard for me to even read the themis model answers sometimes, just something about them i don't click with

RioGrandeLaw

New

Postby RioGrandeLaw » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Fuck themis.

I was in the practice exam when my internet connection dropped, and it kicked me out with a message: You have already started and exited this task. To re-access this exam, please contact Themis at 888-843-6476 or send a message to Customer Service via the Communication Center. Thank you!

OK, fine. I call and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I said, "is this Themis I'm talking to?" "Yes it is." BS. It was a call center, because they would ask questions like "what is the course name?" The only thing they could do was give me a ticket number and say someone would call in 24 hours.

I paid $1300 for this shit? They really have to lock you out of the test? The practice questions just keep the timer going until you reconnect, which only took me a couple minutes on my phone's hotspot.

JHC...

HairySmokeball

New

Postby HairySmokeball » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:59 pm

RioGrandeLaw wrote:Fuck themis.

I was in the practice exam when my internet connection dropped, and it kicked me out with a message: You have already started and exited this task. To re-access this exam, please contact Themis at 888-843-6476 or send a message to Customer Service via the Communication Center. Thank you!

OK, fine. I call and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I said, "is this Themis I'm talking to?" "Yes it is." BS. It was a call center, because they would ask questions like "what is the course name?" The only thing they could do was give me a ticket number and say someone would call in 24 hours.

I paid $1300 for this shit? They really have to lock you out of the test? The practice questions just keep the timer going until you reconnect, which only took me a couple minutes on my phone's hotspot.

JHC...

The answers are in the back of the physical book. I am not trying to be an ass, just wasn't sure if you knew that or not.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Postby RioGrandeLaw » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:47 pm

HairySmokeball wrote:
The answers are in the back of the physical book. I am not trying to be an ass, just wasn't sure if you knew that or not.

No, that's fine. The issue is that it absurdly doesn't allow one to reconnect for the test. I've had this happen before on the PQs and the only result is a few minutes of time lost before you can reconnect. Not kicking you off and locking you out of the test.

AussieAustin

New

Postby AussieAustin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:52 pm

RioGrandeLaw wrote:
HairySmokeball wrote:

No, that's fine. The issue is that it absurdly doesn't allow one to reconnect for the test. I've had this happen before on the PQs and the only result is a few minutes of time lost before you can reconnect. Not kicking you off and locking you out of the test.

I've had numerous times when I go to submit answers and nothing happens. I've figured out that I can skip the question and it saves it as an unanswered question. I click on it and my answer is still there. This has happened more times than I can remember.

Did you not take the test in the book and then upload your answers later, or was it when you were uploading that you had the issue? That sucks either way and I hope you get it fixed sooner rather than later. Maybe message Kimberley and see if she can work some magic faster than the call center.

HairySmokeball

New

Postby HairySmokeball » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 am

RioGrandeLaw wrote:
HairySmokeball wrote:

Ah, gotcha. I am not sure why they set it up that way...it's not a proctored test, so what would it matter if you have to start again?

AussieAustin

New

Postby AussieAustin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:59 am

I’m listening to the MBE analysis lectures. They make it sound so damn easy! I’m getting some useful info out of it.

kasap

New

Postby kasap » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:18 pm

kasap wrote:Does anybody think that the critical pass flashcards would be useful for last three weeks? I am considering to order that but a bit hesitant.

Any recommendations about this? Also, any tips for last 17days?

CR2019

New

Postby CR2019 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:47 pm

For folks who passed the 75% mark, how strictly are you sticking to the schedule from here on out? I feel like I need to start devoting way more attention to just drilling MEE rules.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Postby RioGrandeLaw » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Sigh.

MBE PE#3 61%
MBE PE#4 55%

So, 116 right, which I guess is OK considering the "between 110-120" correct thing, although that might be BS because the average according to the Themis for these PEs is 126. I think that's nationwide though, and I believe my state is about a little below the national average (at least according to the PQ stats). I'll keep telling myself that.

I was exhausted, operating on little sleep taking the AM session, and because of my internet issues didn't take them both the same day. The PM was harder, but I was also better rested. So many things I've studied I could only vaguely recall. Also, weirdly, I did great on Torts in PQs and in the AM, but bombed it in PM.

Also weird: only 15 crim law questions total. And I bombed these too, yet my PQ crim law score is 61%. Why aren't the practice tests the same distribution of questions (25 each) as the real bar? Or even close, since 25 are not graded on the real thing. I mean, only 13 Crim Pro questions? Does't seen logical.

One thing I'm doing is making a "MBE Trick Question" Word file, where I put down those tiny little details that they know will slip you up, like assault has to be "imminent" and the question said, "two hours later." Or, "look for purely economic loss in a negligence action."

Contracts is absolutely killing me. I don't know WTF is my problem.

AussieAustin

New

Postby AussieAustin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 pm

RioGrandeLaw wrote:Sigh.

MBE PE#3 61%
MBE PE#4 55%

So, 116 right, which I guess is OK considering the "between 110-120" correct thing, although that might be BS because the average according to the Themis for these PEs is 126. I think that's nationwide though, and I believe my state is about a little below the national average (at least according to the PQ stats). I'll keep telling myself that.

I was exhausted, operating on little sleep taking the AM session, and because of my internet issues didn't take them both the same day. The PM was harder, but I was also better rested. So many things I've studied I could only vaguely recall. Also, weirdly, I did great on Torts in PQs and in the AM, but bombed it in PM.

Also weird: only 15 crim law questions total. And I bombed these too, yet my PQ crim law score is 61%. Why aren't the practice tests the same distribution of questions (25 each) as the real bar? Or even close, since 25 are not graded on the real thing. I mean, only 13 Crim Pro questions? Does't seen logical.

One thing I'm doing is making a "MBE Trick Question" Word file, where I put down those tiny little details that they know will slip you up, like assault has to be "imminent" and the question said, "two hours later." Or, "look for purely economic loss in a negligence action."

Contracts is absolutely killing me. I don't know WTF is my problem.

I did Well on all the crim pro and criminal law questions prior to the mixed sets and have no idea why I’m bombing now either. The reason why there’s only about 13 questions for crim pro is because it’s combined with criminal law. They’re counted as one subject.

HairySmokeball

New

Postby HairySmokeball » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:53 pm

OK...doing mixed MBE sets and this question came up:

A member of the board of directors of a condominium association convinced the board to authorize replacement of the existing internet wiring in the condominium with wiring that permits faster internet access. Although the wiring upgrade is likely to increase the marketability of the condominium units slightly, because less than five percent of the unit owners will be able to take advantage of this feature, it is best characterized as an unwise economic decision. The same member also recommended that the board use a particular company to replace the wiring. The company paid a referral fee to the member who recommended it to the board. The member, who does not receive compensation for serving on the board, did not disclose this payment to the board. The applicable jurisdiction applies the business judgment rule to decisions made by a condominium association.

Has the member likely breached his duties as a member of the association’s board of directors?

Exactly what MBE subject is this from? Property?!? Sure seems like a business association question to me.

AussieAustin

New

Postby AussieAustin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:05 pm

HairySmokeball wrote:OK...doing mixed MBE sets and this question came up:

A member of the board of directors of a condominium association convinced the board to authorize replacement of the existing internet wiring in the condominium with wiring that permits faster internet access. Although the wiring upgrade is likely to increase the marketability of the condominium units slightly, because less than five percent of the unit owners will be able to take advantage of this feature, it is best characterized as an unwise economic decision. The same member also recommended that the board use a particular company to replace the wiring. The company paid a referral fee to the member who recommended it to the board. The member, who does not receive compensation for serving on the board, did not disclose this payment to the board. The applicable jurisdiction applies the business judgment rule to decisions made by a condominium association.

Has the member likely breached his duties as a member of the association’s board of directors?

Exactly what MBE subject is this from? Property?!? Sure seems like a business association question to me.

I’m thinking property but would need the answer choices to be sure. Have no clue what it’s referring to rule wise.

cherryfilter

New

Postby cherryfilter » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 pm

AussieAustin wrote:

I’m thinking property but would need the answer choices to be sure. Have no clue what it’s referring to rule wise.

Yeah it's property - common interest ownership communities
I remember the outline had something about duties of members and business judgment rule...

Dunnkirk85

New

Postby Dunnkirk85 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Property. Testing that basically decisions from a housing board/condo association just need to be reasonable. They can basically do whatever they want (very broad generalization) as long as it doesn’t fall below the very lenient standard. Here, it’s unreasonable though because they are self dealing. This is just the general rule and I don’t have my stuff with me, but it’s in the big outline under the condo association/housing board stuff.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Postby RioGrandeLaw » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:18 pm

AussieAustin wrote:
I did Well on all the crim pro and criminal law questions prior to the mixed sets and have no idea why I’m bombing now either. The reason why there’s only about 13 questions for crim pro is because it’s combined with criminal law. They’re counted as one subject.

Ahhhh....that's right. I'd forgotten about that. Thanks. I guess they can't really give us a "real" practice MBE of 175 +25ungraded questions because the NCBE scales each test based on difficulty and probably some other voodoo.

pej9247

New

Postby pej9247 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:51 pm

CR2019 wrote:For folks who passed the 75% mark, how strictly are you sticking to the schedule from here on out? I feel like I need to start devoting way more attention to just drilling MEE rules.

I'm currently trying to stick fairly closely to the schedule, mainly because it includes a lot of the essay PQs I kept skipping and I feel like I need to focus more on those subjects. My MBE scores are consistently in the "passable" range and I need to keep working on MBE questions, but these other subjects are freaking me out. Federal Personal Income Tax for one. I understand it, but trying to remember all these disjointed rules... :roll:

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?