Themis July 2019

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Dunnkirk85

New

Re: Themis July 2019

Postby Dunnkirk85 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:54 pm

I think the primer is for sure to make everyone study harder. Honestly if I got over a 70% on that I may have taken the rest of today off. I did awful on the first primer also. It definitely makes me realize that even though I am starting to feel more comfortable with the subjects, there are so many little exceptions that I glossed over that could potentially be tested at the end of July. I actually am a fan of tests like this because the questions I got wrong test stuff that I wouldn't have even known about otherwise.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Dunnkirk85 wrote:I think the primer is for sure to make everyone study harder. Honestly if I got over a 70% on that I may have taken the rest of today off. I did awful on the first primer also. It definitely makes me realize that even though I am starting to feel more comfortable with the subjects, there are so many little exceptions that I glossed over that could potentially be tested at the end of July. I actually am a fan of tests like this because the questions I got wrong test stuff that I wouldn't have even known about otherwise.

I know that they're doing it as a motivator, but some of the questions were just fucking dumb (e.g. the horribly-written venue question and the really ambiguous "depraved heart murder" scenario they set up). I'm prepared for occasionally missing a nitpicky rule, but they seemed to just deliberately pick the hardest-ranked questions, regardless of quality.

AussieAustin

New

Postby AussieAustin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:25 pm

Wow, I just did the primer. I got the worst grade I’ve gotten for anything. I was tired but there was barely a question I was confident about. I’ve been going so well in criminal law and didn’t get one right!

Dunnkirk85

New

Postby Dunnkirk85 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Dunnkirk85 wrote:I think the primer is for sure to make everyone study harder. Honestly if I got over a 70% on that I may have taken the rest of today off. I did awful on the first primer also. It definitely makes me realize that even though I am starting to feel more comfortable with the subjects, there are so many little exceptions that I glossed over that could potentially be tested at the end of July. I actually am a fan of tests like this because the questions I got wrong test stuff that I wouldn't have even known about otherwise.

I know that they're doing it as a motivator, but some of the questions were just fucking dumb (e.g. the horribly-written venue question and the really ambiguous "depraved heart murder" scenario they set up). I'm prepared for occasionally missing a nitpicky rule, but they seemed to just deliberately pick the hardest-ranked questions, regardless of quality.

Agree. I'm still confused about both of those questions. I laughed at the Crim one it was so absurd

Laluchina

New

Postby Laluchina » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:52 pm

AussieAustin wrote:Wow, I just did the primer. I got the worst grade I’ve gotten for anything. I was tired but there was barely a question I was confident about. I’ve been going so well in criminal law and didn’t get one right!

Thank God I’m not the only one. This primer seemed impossible and I’m panicking now. I had spent all day going over the critical pass flashcards before the primer and it feels like the entire primer was testing the exceptions to the exceptions. :(

strawberrieee

Bronze

Postby strawberrieee » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:51 pm

For those who have used Adaptibar: What does it offer you that Themis (including Quiz Builder) does not offer? As far as I understand, Themis uses some real questions and some fake questions, while all Adaptibar questions are past MBE questions. But are they that different?

I'm averaging 74% on Themis MBE after 1100+ questions and would like to get up to 80+% to have some buffer in case I flunk the essays. I wonder whether I should get Adaptibar for just the last month. Honestly I don't know if I can finish Adaptibar on top of the remaining tasks in Themis schedule. It also seems like I can just supplement my MBE study with Quiz Builder if I have time to spare, but again, I don't know how different Themis questions are from real questions.

barryzee

New

Postby barryzee » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:06 pm

strawberrieee wrote:For those who have used Adaptibar: What does it offer you that Themis (including Quiz Builder) does not offer? As far as I understand, Themis uses some real questions and some fake questions, while all Adaptibar questions are past MBE questions. But are they that different?

I'm averaging 74% on Themis MBE after 1100+ questions and would like to get up to 80+% to have some buffer in case I flunk the essays. I wonder whether I should get Adaptibar for just the last month. Honestly I don't know if I can finish Adaptibar on top of the remaining tasks in Themis schedule. It also seems like I can just supplement my MBE study with Quiz Builder if I have time to spare, but again, I don't know how different Themis questions are from real questions.

To each their own, but you already have a huge buffer. You need about a 5th percentile MEE/MPT score to pass. Somehow I think someone scoring at 74% in June is going to hit that 5th percentile.

I'm in a similar spot MBE wise and I'm slowing down and doing other things with my time.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Postby RioGrandeLaw » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:14 pm

AussieAustin wrote:Wow, I just did the primer. I got the worst grade I’ve gotten for anything. I was tired but there was barely a question I was confident about. I’ve been going so well in criminal law and didn’t get one right!

I'm convinced the primers are meant to be difficult. You can click on the answers and see that many of them are "Hard" difficulty level. Especially the ones I missed...looks like about half of the questions are "Hard". I don't think the MBE will be set up like that. More likely 25% "Hard' and 25% "Easy" and the rest "moderate". That just makes sense for a national, scaled test: NCBE would look bad if they issued a test one year that only about 40-50% pass because they randomly assigned questions and the test ended up weighted towards "Hard".

Themis does it I'm sure because at this point, we're all pretty fucking crispy after almost 6 weeks of this crap, and they don't want us to slack off.

fan1430

New

Postby fan1430 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:06 am

Did Primer 2 yesterday and got 53%. The worst score I have received on a MBE session. Just completed practice exam 2 and got an 80. So I think the primer was just a way for Themis to freak people out.

dianetics08

New

Postby dianetics08 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:02 pm

fan1430 wrote:Did Primer 2 yesterday and got 53%. The worst score I have received on a MBE session. Just completed practice exam 2 and got an 80. So I think the primer was just a way for Themis to freak people out.

I got a 79% on the primer and a 75% on the practice exam 2. I felt like the practice exam had a lot more nit picky civ pro questions — half of my wrong answers were civ pro.

cherryfilter

New

Postby cherryfilter » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:24 pm

So what exactly does the average score mean for the practice tests? As long as I'm over 58, am I safe??? Does anyone know if themis Qs are similar to the actual exam Qs? :|

RioGrandeLaw

New

Postby RioGrandeLaw » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:13 am

I got 42% on the MBE PE #2 and 47% on the primer. I am SO discouraged, pissed off, and over all this. I've stopped doing the graded essay exams since those are so miserably discouraging I don't want to deal with them anymore.

I got ONE Crim Pro question right. Yet my Crim Pro answers have been 71% overall. Civ Pro is 56%, Con Law is 55%, and Evidence is 52%. I've answered from 38-94 questions in each of those areas. I'm at 860 total questions answered with a 61% correct rate.

WTF is going on? All I can figure is that 1) I'm stoopid and 2)these are crazy fucking hard questions.

Dunnkirk85

New

Postby Dunnkirk85 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:32 am

RioGrandeLaw wrote:I got 42% on the MBE PE #2 and 47% on the primer. I am SO discouraged, pissed off, and over all this. I've stopped doing the graded essay exams since those are so miserably discouraging I don't want to deal with them anymore.

I got ONE Crim Pro question right. Yet my Crim Pro answers have been 71% overall. Civ Pro is 56%, Con Law is 55%, and Evidence is 52%. I've answered from 38-94 questions in each of those areas. I'm at 860 total questions answered with a 61% correct rate.

WTF is going on? All I can figure is that 1) I'm stoopid and 2)these are crazy fucking hard questions.

The good news is you still have a month to get that score up. I would look at the breakdown for each of these subjects and see what areas you are doing poorly in. For example, note if your scores are really low in 5th amendment searches, hearsay, etc. Then I would take a day (maybe July 4th) and really spend time learning the material you're struggling with.

AussieAustin

New

Postby AussieAustin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 am

RioGrandeLaw wrote:I got 42% on the MBE PE #2 and 47% on the primer. I am SO discouraged, pissed off, and over all this. I've stopped doing the graded essay exams since those are so miserably discouraging I don't want to deal with them anymore.

I wouldn’t be giving up just yet. Clearly your PQ results show that you’re on track. The number of questions you’ve done seems a little low. Have you been doing any of the quiz builder ones? If I was you, I’d narrow down a few topics that you’re struggling with and do a bunch of quiz builder questions just on those. Don’t try and tackle too many topics at once. This has really helped me get used to the types of questions and get a bit more confidence. You can do this!! And no, you’re not stupid so don’t be so hard on yourself :D

ipsares

New

Postby ipsares » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:59 pm

you not supposed to get 100% now that's why we studying - the scores now don't matter - no jx allows an admission on motion submitting your overall themis average - its not going to go on your resume - it's part of the process of studying - get them wrong now and learn so you can get them right in 4 weeks when it counts.

other guy

New

Postby other guy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:01 pm

Bombed the primer with 48 percent and made 58 percent on PE 2 (which I think is the average) so I decided to do mixed subject PQS yesterday and today. I did 68 percent and 79 percent respectively. I said all that to ask, do ya'll think the PQS are significantly easier than the practice exam?

Thanks for the help guys!

2k16L1

New

Postby 2k16L1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:26 pm

other guy wrote:Bombed the primer with 48 percent and made 58 percent on PE 2 (which I think is the average) so I decided to do mixed subject PQS yesterday and today. I did 68 percent and 79 percent respectively. I said all that to ask, do ya'll think the PQS are significantly easier than the practice exam?

Thanks for the help guys!

IMO yes. I've been scoring around a 75 average on 5 Mixed-PQs but I got a 59%/62% on the Primer/PE2.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:27 am

I may be the only one, but I truly appreciate how much time Birdthistle wasted by dressing up in different outfits and doing dumb green-screen takes solely for the visual gags in his lectures. That's commitment.

cherryfilter

New

Postby cherryfilter » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:17 am

Random Q: Does anyone if we're given hard copies of the questions for MEE? (if you're registered to take it on your laptop)

Thanks!

AussieAustin

New

Postby AussieAustin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:27 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I may be the only one, but I truly appreciate how much time Birdthistle wasted by dressing up in different outfits and doing dumb green-screen takes solely for the visual gags in his lectures. That's commitment.

I feel a little ripped off because he didn't do that in the lectures I had to watch. Lol. And he didn't stick to the script of the handout so had to constantly pause to figure out what he was saying.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:32 pm

AussieAustin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I may be the only one, but I truly appreciate how much time Birdthistle wasted by dressing up in different outfits and doing dumb green-screen takes solely for the visual gags in his lectures. That's commitment.

I feel a little ripped off because he didn't do that in the lectures I had to watch. Lol. And he didn't stick to the script of the handout so had to constantly pause to figure out what he was saying.

Wait, how do you have different lectures?

AussieAustin

New

Postby AussieAustin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:48 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
AussieAustin wrote:

Probably since mine were state specific ones - agency, corporations and partnerships for Texas.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:23 pm

AussieAustin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
AussieAustin wrote:

Probably since mine were state specific ones - agency, corporations and partnerships for Texas.

Oh, that makes sense. And that sucks, because you're missing out on some real gold. All his "exam tips" are him in a room giving tips to other test-takers, who are all him but dressed in different outfits.

AussieAustin

New

Postby AussieAustin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:19 pm

cherryfilter wrote:Random Q: Does anyone if we're given hard copies of the questions for MEE? (if you're registered to take it on your laptop)

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you get all the questions in hard copy. I know you do for the essays I'm doing in Texas, so I would assume it's the same for the MEE. I would HATE to have to read the questions on-line.

cherryfilter

New

Postby cherryfilter » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:21 pm

AussieAustin wrote:
cherryfilter wrote:Random Q: Does anyone if we're given hard copies of the questions for MEE? (if you're registered to take it on your laptop)

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you get all the questions in hard copy. I know you do for the essays I'm doing in Texas, so I would assume it's the same for the MEE. I would HATE to have to read the questions on-line.

Ah that's a relief.. I hate taking the essay tests online...can't underline or make notes... :/ sucks.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?