Themis July 2019 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
QContinuum

Re: Themis July 2019

Post by QContinuum » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:22 pm

2k16L1 wrote:
swishbish33 wrote:Have fallen several weeks behind on Themis do to death in the family. Pretty much only done Contracts portion. Any suggestions on how to pivot to a 5 week study schedule (using Themis or other materials) that could bring me within striking range of passing? Thank you so much!
I would find shorter 15-20 pg outlines for MBE, memorize them for a week, and start hitting mixed subject sets.
IMO it's also possible to save time by not doing all of the recommended essay practice questions. There is some value in doing 10 ungraded family law practice essays but not that much value frankly.

Macjack

New

Post by Macjack » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:13 pm

Jcanqueen12 wrote:I just want to say Civ Pro sucks and these 97 pages don't make it any better. It's like reading big slabs of rules, that just seems isolated...and my poor brain trying to make sense of it. Sigh...Dear Lord, help it make sense. :(
something that really helps me is finding old exam questions (pull out 5 old civ pro questions) and the model answers. read the question and pull out the key issues tested. do this for all 5 and you'll see the patterns of what really matters. that helps bring topics into focus for me.

Anon2468

New

Post by Anon2468 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:54 pm

What are you guys averaging on the MBE practice sets at this point?

barryzee

New

Post by barryzee » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:02 pm

swishbish33 wrote:Have fallen several weeks behind on Themis do to death in the family. Pretty much only done Contracts portion. Any suggestions on how to pivot to a 5 week study schedule (using Themis or other materials) that could bring me within striking range of passing? Thank you so much!
It's doable. I'm confident I could pass if the exams were end of June instead of end of July, which would put me at about the 5 week mark (at a few hours of prep a day).

1) I'd focus on the MBE subjects for at least the first 2 or 3 weeks. As to what works best, you should do what works for you. Some people find the lectures useless. I quickly internalize anything I hear in a lecture and have found that the lectures cover 80-90% of the material you need for the exam (very safe pass), so I've used them, usually at 1.5X speed. If you're better at memorizing written outlines, do that. Now is not the time to stray from your best habits.

2) Memorize the high frequency areas as soon as you can. Negligence for Torts, Jurisdiction for CivPro, individual rights for ConLaw, hearsay & hearsay exceptions for evidence.

3) Do practice MBE questions early and often and then work on weak areas (relative to difficult in improvement).

4) Don't waste too much time doing practice essays. Composing a 5 minute outline may be sufficient if you're already adept at writing essays. Do a few full length to get timing down but if an outline is all you need that's all you need. And if you're already comfortable with the material you're comfortable with the material. Move on when you can.

Best of luck. A family death is not an easy thing to go through during bar prep but you have time to do this.

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:47 am

Anon2468 wrote:What are you guys averaging on the MBE practice sets at this point?
I'm at about a 68-70% average overall after all of the MBE lectures being done, but I still have some problem sets left for the last 3 subjects. Not sure if I should be higher at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anon2468

New

Post by Anon2468 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:07 pm

Dunnkirk85 wrote:
Anon2468 wrote:What are you guys averaging on the MBE practice sets at this point?
I'm at about a 68-70% average overall after all of the MBE lectures being done, but I still have some problem sets left for the last 3 subjects. Not sure if I should be higher at this point.
I'm literally in the exact same range. I've done a ton of questions, but it doesn't seem to go up.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:16 pm

Much better than the Evidence videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNeFsjTfs2s&t=449s

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:49 am

skaw123 wrote:Is anyone else really frustrated with their grader for the graded essays? My essays have been far from perfect, but I get very little feedback and when I do it often looks like he didn't even read my essay. For example:

For the subject matter jurisdiction requirement, the Bartender cannot satisfy this through federal question since this is a negligence claim. Additionally, there is no diversity jurisdiction because the amount in controversy is only $20,000. However, there is supplemental jurisdiction because the claim arises out of the same transaction or occurrence and this is the only requirement for supplemental jurisdiction of a cross claim. Therefore there will be subject matter jurisdiction over this claim.
You identified and analyzed the issue well but left out the fact that this is a state law claim that would not properly be in federal court because the amount in controversy is not met. However, since it arises from the same occurrences as the original complaint that was properly brought in federal court, the court may hear it under supplemental jurisdiction.

This was what he wrote in response directly below that paragraph..... would love anyone else's thoughts on their grader.
Lol, that's crazy. Is there anyway you can contact them after they've graded the essay. I haven't really had many comments on my essays. I was definitely surprised when I just got given a 100% for my graded MPT last week. Surely there were things that were wrong with it?? My answer was no where near as polished as the sample answer and the headings in the sample answer were way better than mine. I thought at least they would comment on that, but nothing.

I would probably ignore an obviously ridiculous comment like that. As long as you've got the law right and you're following their structure, you will be fine.

skaw123

New

Post by skaw123 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:04 am

AussieAustin wrote:
skaw123 wrote:Is anyone else really frustrated with their grader for the graded essays? My essays have been far from perfect, but I get very little feedback and when I do it often looks like he didn't even read my essay. For example:

For the subject matter jurisdiction requirement, the Bartender cannot satisfy this through federal question since this is a negligence claim. Additionally, there is no diversity jurisdiction because the amount in controversy is only $20,000. However, there is supplemental jurisdiction because the claim arises out of the same transaction or occurrence and this is the only requirement for supplemental jurisdiction of a cross claim. Therefore there will be subject matter jurisdiction over this claim.
You identified and analyzed the issue well but left out the fact that this is a state law claim that would not properly be in federal court because the amount in controversy is not met. However, since it arises from the same occurrences as the original complaint that was properly brought in federal court, the court may hear it under supplemental jurisdiction.

This was what he wrote in response directly below that paragraph..... would love anyone else's thoughts on their grader.
Lol, that's crazy. Is there anyway you can contact them after they've graded the essay. I haven't really had many comments on my essays. I was definitely surprised when I just got given a 100% for my graded MPT last week. Surely there were things that were wrong with it?? My answer was no where near as polished as the sample answer and the headings in the sample answer were way better than mine. I thought at least they would comment on that, but nothing.

I would probably ignore an obviously ridiculous comment like that. As long as you've got the law right and you're following their structure, you will be fine.
I sent a message to themis and someone called me right away to go over it all, which I found very helpful. I'd much rather be graded harshly than too leniently, but I just want the harsh grading to seem like it's based on what's actually there/not there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

2k16L1

New

Post by 2k16L1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:13 pm

The Practice Mixed-subject MBE PQs Session 1 was on the easier side for sure.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:10 pm

QContinuum wrote:
2k16L1 wrote:
I would find shorter 15-20 pg outlines for MBE, memorize them for a week, and start hitting mixed subject sets.
IMO it's also possible to save time by not doing all of the recommended essay practice questions. There is some value in doing 10 ungraded family law practice essays but not that much value frankly.
My jurisdiction just got a "pep talk" message that gave a few pointers on what to do if you're more than a week behind. In case this wasn't sent out everywhere, their generic advice was:

-Prioritize lectures over reading.
-Focus on MBE topics.
-Skip over MEE subjects that aren't as frequently tested (they literally said to skip Conflict of Laws).
-Do graded essays ASAP to get some sense of where you are.

justanormalperson

New

Post by justanormalperson » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:41 am

Anyone starting do worse on the MBE? Was getting about 65%-75%. These couple past MBEs had me in the low 50s. I was wondering whether I'm getting burnt out or I am just that unprepared. :(

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:22 am

justanormalperson wrote:Anyone starting do worse on the MBE? Was getting about 65%-75%. These couple past MBEs had me in the low 50s. I was wondering whether I'm getting burnt out or I am just that unprepared. :(
I think it’s natural to dip now that we’ve pumped 12-16 subjects into our brain. Still have over a month to make that score go up. Also, from the Themis perspective you wouldn’t want to be giving questions where people are getting 75% correct before July even hits. If you can get 75% on the questions you’re less incentivized to study hard for the next month. I’m at around a 69% average, before moving into any of the mixed sets. I’m expecting that number to go down, then I’ll review all of the subjects again, and bring it back up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:55 am

Dunnkirk85 wrote:
justanormalperson wrote:Anyone starting do worse on the MBE? Was getting about 65%-75%. These couple past MBEs had me in the low 50s. I was wondering whether I'm getting burnt out or I am just that unprepared. :(
I think it’s natural to dip now that we’ve pumped 12-16 subjects into our brain. Still have over a month to make that score go up. Also, from the Themis perspective you wouldn’t want to be giving questions where people are getting 75% correct before July even hits. If you can get 75% on the questions you’re less incentivized to study hard for the next month. I’m at around a 69% average, before moving into any of the mixed sets. I’m expecting that number to go down, then I’ll review all of the subjects again, and bring it back up.
I agree. I've found the more subjects I'm learning the more my grades slip. Although, I've been doing well in my final two MBE subjects, crim and crim pro. I've rarely touched property the last two weeks so I'm expecting that to slip again once I start doing mixer pqs. It's all about the race to the finish line though. You don't want to be peaking now. For me, now is the time to be learning as much as possible and taking that knowledge into the final few weeks. I just want it to all come together on the actual day, that's what matters :D

fan1430

New

Post by fan1430 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:19 am

I finished my last subject specific MBE PQ set today. Finished with a 69% overall and 1215 questions answered. The breakdown per subject for me was:

Civ Pro: 67%
Con Law: 72%
Contracts: 71%
Crim Law: 80%
Crim Pro: 68%
Evidence: 64%
Property: 65%
Torts: 70%

TheLorax

New

Post by TheLorax » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:48 pm

fan1430 wrote:
I finished my last subject specific MBE PQ set today. Finished with a 69% overall and 1215 questions answered. The breakdown per subject for me was:

what a gunner

Anon2468

New

Post by Anon2468 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:53 pm

TheLorax wrote:
fan1430 wrote:

what a gunner
Ikr, she/he's gonna cop dat cali. But real talk, congrats, you seem to be in p great shape for the MBE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:51 am

fan1430 wrote:

After MBE Primer #2, which just absolutely ruined me, I'm at 68% overall:

Civ Pro: 66%
Con Law: 71%
Contracts: 65%
Crim Law: 70%
Crim Pro: 70%
Evidence: 67%
Property: 63%
Torts: 75%

Either I am getting dumber or the Themis civ pro questions get harder every time I do them.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:18 am

Dunnkirk85 wrote:After MBE Primer #2, which just absolutely ruined me, I'm at 68% overall:

Either I am getting dumber or the Themis civ pro questions get harder every time I do them.
That primer was bullshit. I'm relatively sure it was intended to scare people into studying before taking the next practice test.

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:47 am

Dunnkirk85 wrote:
fan1430 wrote:

After MBE Primer #2, which just absolutely ruined me, I'm at 68% overall:

These are still great numbers. I wouldn't be worried if I had these %s. There's still four weeks of full on practice, practice, practice so I'm pretty sure these will improve.

I think now the overall % doesn't really matter. It's whether you are improving and not getting the same types of questions wrong. I know my property % is so low (45 eeek) so to get it up to 60 I'd have to be getting 90+% from here on in, which isn't going to happen.

2k16L1

New

Post by 2k16L1 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:41 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Dunnkirk85 wrote:After MBE Primer #2, which just absolutely ruined me, I'm at 68% overall:

That primer was bullshit. I'm relatively sure it was intended to scare people into studying before taking the next practice test.
MBE Primer #2 has me shooked.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anon2468

New

Post by Anon2468 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:17 pm

Yeah, primer #2 is pretty bullshit.

july2019taker

New

Post by july2019taker » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:27 pm

As everyone as has said, that primer was total bullshit and no bar exam will ever be like that. Not only did they test every little bit of minutia, the questions were worded in long and convoluted ways just to trick us, which the Bar Examiners have specifically said they do not do when writing questions. I got close to 80% on my MBE average for all 5 of those subjects and I still got 59% on that idiotic primer.

Themis is awful. There was no reason to do that but to scare us and we don't need to be scared. I've had so many issues with them at this point it's ridiculous. I totally agree that the essay graders don't even read the essay so much as skim it and then copy/paste some bottled responses.

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:59 pm

Anon2468 wrote:Yeah, primer #2 is pretty bullshit.
So I’m at 64% in Themis (1200 Qs) and 68% in AdaptiBar (400 Qs).

Any difference between the two. I know I took about 100 questions in Themis before I started studying and did horribly (god know why I did that...) but that doesn’t account for more than say 1%.

Is AdaptiBar easier?

ipsares

New

Post by ipsares » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:21 pm

nrthwst4now wrote:
Anon2468 wrote:Yeah, primer #2 is pretty bullshit.
So I’m at 64% in Themis (1200 Qs) and 68% in AdaptiBar (400 Qs).

Any difference between the two. I know I took about 100 questions in Themis before I started studying and did horribly (god know why I did that...) but that doesn’t account for more than say 1%.

Is AdaptiBar easier?
I think it could depend a lot on the questions you get - im 66% overall on themis (1402) and 71.4% on adaptibar (548) - but i just crushed ope 1 on adaptibar and got crushed by primer 2 on themis - if i get questions like ope 1 its all good - if like primer #2 it will be troublesome .

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”