New York July 2019 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lancair

New

Re: Themis July 2019

Post by Lancair » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:52 pm

When I took the exam in Feb, my girlfriend and I chose to go up to Albany rather than NYC. We figured we'd prefer the extra sleep and a short walk to the test centre rather a long cab ride and the general chaos of the NYC test centre. Would recommend! Proctors were very friendly.

lolabear727

Bronze

Re: New York July 2019

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:00 pm

capo wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Any recent NY law school grads on the thread? We should be getting our seat emails next week, but other's wont get them until the next day after. A heads up would be much appreciated! Started Themis this week. Hopefully everyone is off to a good start on the studying!
a friend taking barbri classes in new york said new york graduates got the location selection emails today 6/4/2019...so out of state graduates should expect it tomorrow 6/5 I guess...
Thank you so much! They didn’t happen to mention the time they received the email, did they? Haha

Jcanqueen12

New

Post by Jcanqueen12 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:39 am

QContinuum wrote:
Jcanqueen12 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Any NY takers get their seat emails yet? New NY law school graduates get theirs a day earlier than the rest of us. Would like to quit this constant refreshing game.
Lol I'm right there with you. It's annoying. I'm out of state so I'm a little bit concern about the options I will have to choose from.
Make a ranked list of locations in order of your preference in advance so that when it's game time, you'll be able to select a location without hesitating.

Aside from the convenience of flying into NYC, Javits is reputed to be a miserable place to test anyway.
Thanks that's good advice. I think Buffalo and Saratoga would be my picks. But dang Saratoga hotel prices blew me away :(

Jcanqueen12

New

Post by Jcanqueen12 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:47 am

Jcanqueen12 wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Jcanqueen12 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Any NY takers get their seat emails yet? New NY law school graduates get theirs a day earlier than the rest of us. Would like to quit this constant refreshing game.
Lol I'm right there with you. It's annoying. I'm out of state so I'm a little bit concern about the options I will have to choose from.
Make a ranked list of locations in order of your preference in advance so that when it's game time, you'll be able to select a location without hesitating.

Aside from the convenience of flying into NYC, Javits is reputed to be a miserable place to test anyway.
Thanks that's good advice. I think Buffalo and Saratoga would be my picks. But dang Saratoga hotel prices blew me away :(
Got the email, Buffalo it is!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:57 am

Jcanqueen12 wrote:Got the email, Buffalo it is!
Congrats and best wishes!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hsbusby

New

Post by hsbusby » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:12 am

I got the out of state email at 9:39 this morning and was able to get Javitz

JBNYC

New

Post by JBNYC » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:32 am

hsbusby wrote:I got the out of state email at 9:39 this morning and was able to get Javitz
Damn, I got the email at 9.40, and when I logged in a few mins later, the Javitz Center and Westchester weren't available options, only Albany, Saratoga and Buffalo :( Road trip to Albany here we come!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:46 am

JBNYC wrote:Damn, I got the email at 9.40, and when I logged in a few mins later, the Javitz Center and Westchester weren't available options, only Albany, Saratoga and Buffalo :( Road trip to Albany here we come!
Don't feel too bad - I have it on good authority White Plains filled up yesterday within an hour of the NY J.D. grads getting the email. Turns out conventional wisdom about NYC filling up first was wrong. Guess the word's out about the desirability of testing at Javits.

Look on the bright side: Albany, Saratoga and Buffalo should be much lower stress venues!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:05 pm

hsbusby wrote:I got the out of state email at 9:39 this morning and was able to get Javitz

Really?! I opened it as soon as it came in, finally got NYC. So sick of spending $$ for travel and lodging out of now. Especially now living in NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JBNYC

New

Post by JBNYC » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:49 pm

QContinuum wrote:
JBNYC wrote:Damn, I got the email at 9.40, and when I logged in a few mins later, the Javitz Center and Westchester weren't available options, only Albany, Saratoga and Buffalo :( Road trip to Albany here we come!
Don't feel too bad - I have it on good authority White Plains filled up yesterday within an hour of the NY J.D. grads getting the email. Turns out conventional wisdom about NYC filling up first was wrong. Guess the word's out about the desirability of testing at Javits.

Look on the bright side: Albany, Saratoga and Buffalo should be much lower stress venues!
Thanks, I hope you are right about the stress levels! :)

JBNYC

New

Post by JBNYC » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:51 pm

lolabear727 wrote:

Really?! I opened it as soon as it came in, finally got NYC. So sick of spending $$ for travel and lodging out of now. Especially now living in NYC.
I hear you. I sat the Feb exam at The Armory uptown, and it was so handy just being able to get the subway there. Saved me a lot of time and $ compared to going to the hassle of driving to Albany for sure. Hope the Javitz venue works out well for you!

teacup4lyf

New

Post by teacup4lyf » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:34 am

Looks like it's Albany for me.

Failed the NY bar twice and I'm done using Barbri. Got Emanuel and plan on supplementing it with my old notes/flashcards. I was working at biglaw with horrendous hours during my first try so I barely hit the books, knowing full well I won't pass. I went for it prepared the second time but exam nerves got the better of me and missed passing by one mark. Took me a while to get over it and shrug that off. Hopefully, third time's the charm.. I really doubt I can muster enough motivation to sit for this a fourth time.

ddoomm

New

Post by ddoomm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:33 pm

First time taker sitting for the exam in Saratoga. Good luck all!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:28 pm

teacup4lyf wrote:Looks like it's Albany for me.

Failed the NY bar twice and I'm done using Barbri. Got Emanuel and plan on supplementing it with my old notes/flashcards. I was working at biglaw with horrendous hours during my first try so I barely hit the books, knowing full well I won't pass. I went for it prepared the second time but exam nerves got the better of me and missed passing by one mark. Took me a while to get over it and shrug that off. Hopefully, third time's the charm.. I really doubt I can muster enough motivation to sit for this a fourth time.
I hear ya! Similar situation for me as well. We can do it!

barexamman

New

Post by barexamman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:01 pm

teacup4lyf wrote:Looks like it's Albany for me.

I want to wish you luck on this upcoming bar exam. I didn't like barbri, which I received for free as I was a bar rep. I would say and recommend to know the law really well so that you can do well on the MC part of the MBE and the essay part as well. I implore you to try taking old actual bar exam questions and also buying critical pass flashcards. They are really helpful and everyone I know that used them - passed.
[Advertisement and external link redacted]

Good luck!
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to redact advertisements and external links.

meghant

New

Post by meghant » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:19 pm

What should my course progress percent be by now on Themis for the July 2019 exam?

RandyMarsh

New

Post by RandyMarsh » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:47 am

meghant wrote:What should my course progress percent be by now on Themis for the July 2019 exam?

Don't worry about what your progress should be. Try to get the percentage Themis is aiming for, but don't confuse percentage of the course complete with understanding the course materials. They are different. Take your time to get a lot of the work done. On the stuff you do know, don't overly devote time to it. Devote the most time to things you don't know.

Additionally, very few people complete 100% of bar study courses, so there are two answers to your question. The first answer is you should be as far along as Themis tells you to be. The second answer is you should between a quarter and third of way through assuming an end goal of 75-80% completion.

You realistically do not need to complete the entire course (I personally did all of the mbe questions, wrote 5-10 essays, and outlined the rest of the essays. I didn't really watch the videos unless I truly did not understand something from reading it or seeing it in essays/mbe questions). I did review every MBE question I got wrong (sometimes the ones i got right too). I did not read a single outline, except the final review outlines which I added notes into from the MBE questions and essays, though I did mark all outlines as complete which raised my completion percentage. I finished the course with 60 or so percent, while also using no outside materials, and scored a 160 on mbe, and did well on mee. But again I know me and how to best utilize my own time.

I would say utilize your time to learn the things you don't know, solidify the things you do, and don't let the percentage complete fool you into think you are more or less prepared than you are.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OneTwoThreeFour

Bronze

Post by OneTwoThreeFour » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:25 pm

Anyone else get a couple emails from BOLE today re: testing locations?

BarTaker

Bronze

Post by BarTaker » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 pm

OneTwoThreeFour wrote:Anyone else get a couple emails from BOLE today re: testing locations?
Yes, I received two. The first one confirming my place and the second one requiring to ignore the first email.

teacup4lyf

New

Post by teacup4lyf » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:30 pm

I received 8 emails from them today, no joke. The first one states the wrong location, the second one states the right location, followed by 5 emails telling me to ignore the earlier emails today on testing location and to refer instead to an email two weeks ago listing the correct location. Finally, one last email asking me to confirm my name on my BOLE account and on my photo ID. Thanks for the spam..

fizzles

New

Post by fizzles » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Has anyone received a msg from barbri about the mini review course for an additional $99? This is on top of their already expensive AF bar course. I'm struggling to finish the bar course as it is. Should i bother with the mini review? It's supposed to be focused on regularly tested areas, the bare minimum. I'm at 32% completion at the moment but im doing additional mbe questions on adaptibar which isn't factored into the 32%. On the one hand im thinking im so far behind maybe i should switch over to the mini review but on the other hand im thinking i should stick the regular review course and do as much as i can and not confuse myself with extra things. Any advice?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ddoomm

New

Post by ddoomm » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:50 am

I got my letter to Hogwarts!

Jk, just the ticket to take the bar...

gopurp333

New

Post by gopurp333 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Anyone doing S&T questions in the Emanuel prep book?

gopurp333

New

Post by gopurp333 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 pm

gopurp333 wrote:Anyone doing S&T questions in the Emanuel prep book?
To clarify, I am enrolled in BARBRI and also bought the S&T MBE book by Emanuel. I am scoring 70%+ on BARBRI consistently. When I go to the subject-specific question sets in S&T, I am getting 50%.

Does anyone know if the questions in the topic-specific section are only the 7-10s difficulty wise?

funnybones

New

Post by funnybones » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:37 am

Question re Javits Center: what are we allowed to leave in the Personal Belongings room? And do we have access to it during lunch? Can I bring my phone and leave it in there if I only use it after the exam to get home

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”