New York July 2019 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lolabear727

Bronze

New York July 2019

Post by lolabear727 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:01 pm

Happy Spring Everyone!

3rd time re-taker here... :roll: I'm barred in Florida (4 years) and while I was working full time I didn't take studying as seriously as I should have. While I only failed by 8 points, I'm obviously I'm hoping for a better outcome this go-round! I'm now living in NY (Near NYC) with my boyfriend (also an attorney). I previously took Feb '17 and Feb '18. I am taking Themis and forcing myself to actually do the work so I don't repeat for the 4th time! I will also be using Adaptibar, which is wonderful and helped me pass FL.

What are everyone's plans for studying, test location, travel, etc.? July usually has a higher passage rate, so I am hoping that will help all of us out!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Re: New York July 2019

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Sun May 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Be sure to also review the official essays (MEEs) from prior UBEs. Themis may likely provide these, but if they don't, getting them from the NCBE is worth adding to your resources!

Sean Silverman (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

bdadon

New

Post by bdadon » Sun May 05, 2019 11:38 pm

I have materials that will help you pass the NY UBE. I passed with a 315. I am offering all my materials (more than 6 materials) for $100.

lolabear727 wrote:Happy Spring Everyone!

3rd time re-taker here... :roll: I'm barred in Florida (4 years) and while I was working full time I didn't take studying as seriously as I should have. While I only failed by 8 points, I'm obviously I'm hoping for a better outcome this go-round! I'm now living in NY (Near NYC) with my boyfriend (also an attorney). I previously took Feb '17 and Feb '18. I am taking Themis and forcing myself to actually do the work so I don't repeat for the 4th time! I will also be using Adaptibar, which is wonderful and helped me pass FL.

What are everyone's plans for studying, test location, travel, etc.? July usually has a higher passage rate, so I am hoping that will help all of us out!

Jcanqueen12

New

Post by Jcanqueen12 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi, I'm an attorney licensed in Jamaica and registered to take the NY July 2019 exam. I'm currently using Themis LLM Advantage Bar Review program. So far so good, and using adaptibar for practice. I'm at 65% overall hoping to improve that drastically by exam time. Currently scared at the same time lol. But my husband who used Themis for the Fl bar and passed is optimistic that once I stick to themis program I should be good. So hopefully, he is right.

Question though is that Emmanuel book worth it?

khan123

New

Post by khan123 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi, I'm an attorney licensed in Jamaica and registered to take the NY July 2019 exam. I'm currently using Themis LLM Advantage Bar Review program. So far so good, and using adaptibar for practice. I'm at 65% overall hoping to improve that drastically by exam time. Currently scared at the same time lol. But my husband who used Themis for the Fl bar and passed is optimistic that once I stick to themis program I should be good. So hopefully, he is right.

Question though is that Emmanuel book worth it?

Is themis has real MBE questions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bbee1917

New

Post by bbee1917 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:57 pm

I'm in a similar boat as the first poster. The first two times I used Barbri; the third I used Adaptibar but I didn't do a thorough review of my Barbri lecture notes before jumping back into practice exams. I'm taking the bar a fourth time. I'm licensed in a Canadian province but want to get this NY bar over with since I don't like not finishing what I started.

This time I'm considering NCBE study aids: http://www.ncbex.org/study-aids/, possibly the "Everything pack" since it'd be nice to see them break down the issues for essays and I want to practice with real MBE questions. Or I might use Kaplan QBank: https://www.kaptest.com/bar-exam/practice/qbank but I also want work on essays. Any thoughts about these?

I don't want to use Adaptibar again because I only improved my MBE by 2 marks from the previous time (not saying it was Adaptibar's fault).

Also, would it be okay to continue using my Barbri July 2018/Feb 2019 material? I don't want to buy updated books for this new cycle but I don't know how much the law has changed.

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:23 am

bbee1917 wrote:I'm in a similar boat as the first poster. The first two times I used Barbri; the third I used Adaptibar but I didn't do a thorough review of my Barbri lecture notes before jumping back into practice exams. I'm taking the bar a fourth time. I'm licensed in a Canadian province but want to get this NY bar over with since I don't like not finishing what I started.

This time I'm considering NCBE study aids: http://www.ncbex.org/study-aids/, possibly the "Everything pack" since it'd be nice to see them break down the issues for essays and I want to practice with real MBE questions. Or I might use Kaplan QBank: https://www.kaptest.com/bar-exam/practice/qbank but I also want work on essays. Any thoughts about these?

I don't want to use Adaptibar again because I only improved my MBE by 2 marks from the previous time (not saying it was Adaptibar's fault).

Also, would it be okay to continue using my Barbri July 2018/Feb 2019 material? I don't want to buy updated books for this new cycle but I don't know how much the law has changed.
Passed the bar with a nice score! I cannot thank critical pass flashcards enough for their help. A must have !!

Let me explain why you need to purchase these flashcards. You must commit the elements of every testable item to memory. When you start studying you will notice that after a lengthy portion spent on torts, you will forget what you studied on evidence and vis-versa. The key or the solution is to have something which is quick to get to which you can pull at any moment and re-remember what the exact elements were. For example, larceny which is always tested is the following: a trespassory taking and carrying away of the property of another with the intent to permanently deprive another of that property. I know that definition, and always will, thanks to a flashcards that are ready-made and ready for bar examiners to use and pass the bar. The bar exam is a "bar" which is a minimum standards. For a small fee and a great solution, why not?

[Advertisement and external link redacted]
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to redact advertisements and external links.

fizzles

New

Post by fizzles » Thu May 09, 2019 8:59 pm

bdadon wrote:I have materials that will help you pass the NY UBE. I passed with a 315. I am offering all my materials (more than 6 materials) for $100.

What kind of study material? Can I have some more details please

fizzles

New

UBE July 2019

Post by fizzles » Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 pm

How many hours a day are we supposed to do bar prep?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bbee1917

New

Post by bbee1917 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:30 pm

FutureLawyer2 wrote:
bbee1917 wrote:I'm in a similar boat as the first poster. The first two times I used Barbri; the third I used Adaptibar but I didn't do a thorough review of my Barbri lecture notes before jumping back into practice exams. I'm taking the bar a fourth time. I'm licensed in a Canadian province but want to get this NY bar over with since I don't like not finishing what I started.

Passed the bar with a nice score! I cannot thank critical pass flashcards enough for their help. A must have !!

Let me explain why you need to purchase these flashcards. You must commit the elements of every testable item to memory. When you start studying you will notice that after a lengthy portion spent on torts, you will forget what you studied on evidence and vis-versa. The key or the solution is to have something which is quick to get to which you can pull at any moment and re-remember what the exact elements were. For example, larceny which is always tested is the following: a trespassory taking and carrying away of the property of another with the intent to permanently deprive another of that property. I know that definition, and always will, thanks to a flashcards that are ready-made and ready for bar examiners to use and pass the bar. The bar exam is a "bar" which is a minimum standards. For a small fee and a great solution, why not?

Thanks for the info. Would you recommend MEE flash cards as well? Are these sufficient for studying until the July bar or do you think it'd still be critical to go through all my previous Barbri lecture notes too (which will of course take a lot of time- I also do work full-time and have other things going on at the same time.)

What company's materials did you use for practice questions/practice exams?
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to redact advertisements and external links in quoted post.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:58 pm

If you can pass Florida, put in the time and you'll have success on the UBE. I took the UBE in NY first and found Florida to be 10 times more difficult and morale draining after day 1.....weird essay on some shelter Law and termination of parental rights....smh and combining commercial paper and secured transactions had people in the convention center freaking out.

If you can take on FL, practice the MPTs (a new creature for you) and the MEE essays and you'll do fine.

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Sun May 12, 2019 1:13 am

bbee1917 wrote:
FutureLawyer2 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Would you recommend MEE flash cards as well? Are these sufficient for studying until the July bar or do you think it'd still be critical to go through all my previous Barbri lecture notes too (which will of course take a lot of time- I also do work full-time and have other things going on at the same time.)

What company's materials did you use for practice questions/practice exams?
I would just buy flash cards for purposes of the mbe.
I also bought strategies and tactics for old Multiple choice question practice.
Otherwise, i used babri outline books

Milizze04

New

Post by Milizze04 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:24 pm

bdadon wrote:I have materials that will help you pass the NY UBE. I passed with a 315. I am offering all my materials (more than 6 materials) for $100.

Do you still have the test prep materials?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:52 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:

If you can pass Florida, put in the time and you'll have success on the UBE. I took the UBE in NY first and found Florida to be 10 times more difficult and morale draining after day 1.....weird essay on some shelter Law and termination of parental rights....smh and combining commercial paper and secured transactions had people in the convention center freaking out.

If you can take on FL, practice the MPTs (a new creature for you) and the MEE essays and you'll do fine.
This is helpful and motivating! How did you practice your MPTs? I’ve seen a bunch of different ways and I just don’t know what’s best at this point.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:28 am

I hear ya on the Adaptibar. It’s expensive and if it’s not helping you improve, find something else. For me, it helped tremendously improve my MBE score for FL. The phone app and the ease of doing questions on the go just made it a no brainer for me.

I used older Barbri UBE books the 1st time I took NY UBE imanf it was fine (minus those 8 extra points I needed, but who’s counting). This time I’m doing Themis & I really like their shorter lectures compared to Barbri.

Barexamny22

New

Post by Barexamny22 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Hello everyone,

Fourth-time retaker here and hoping that is my last time taking it. This is the first time I am taking it while studying full-time for it. I am currently studying on my own since I have paid for Barbri and Pieper in the past and I am using their materials plus Adapatibar to further practice MBE questions. Would anyone mind sharing their bar prep study schedule in this thread? I am creating my own but I would like to see how other schedules look for the July 2019 bar. Thanks in advance!

rsta88

New

Post by rsta88 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 am

Hi,
Third-time re-taker here. 11 points away.
I used Themis LLM program the previous two times.
I'm trying to find some supplement for MBE and MEE at the same time.
Any thoughts for Crushendo? https://crushendo.net/product/ube-suite/
If anyone has used this in the past please share some thoughts.

Thank you !!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Law4lyf

New

Post by Law4lyf » Mon May 27, 2019 10:20 am

I used Themis + Adaptibar + Critical pass flashcards. Passed on my first attempt doing about 70% of tThemis. Key is to recognize what is pulling down your scores. Mine was the MBE so I went the extra mile to get Adaptibar and Critical Pass. Adaptibar uses real MBE questions while Themis and Barbri make up a bunch of their own (plus licensing a few). I used critical pass to run through the topics I was weak at to make sure that I had a basic understanding of the law (that's all you need!). The flashcards were great and was key to me passing the bar.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:09 pm

Any recent NY law school grads on the thread? We should be getting our seat emails next week, but other's wont get them until the next day after. A heads up would be much appreciated! Started Themis this week. Hopefully everyone is off to a good start on the studying!

lolabear727

Bronze

New York test sites July 2019

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:03 am

Any NY takers get their seat emails yet? New NY law school graduates get theirs a day earlier than the rest of us. Would like to quit this constant refreshing game.

Jcanqueen12

New

Re: Themis July 2019

Post by Jcanqueen12 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:23 am

lolabear727 wrote:Any NY takers get their seat emails yet? New NY law school graduates get theirs a day earlier than the rest of us. Would like to quit this constant refreshing game.
Lol I'm right there with you. It's annoying. I'm out of state so I'm a little bit concern about the options I will have to choose from.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

barryzee

New

Post by barryzee » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:30 pm

Does anyone know what locations tend to fill up and what locations tend to stay available?

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:10 pm

barryzee wrote:Does anyone know what locations tend to fill up and what locations tend to stay available?
Buffalo & Albany are always open. ALWAYS... *eyeroll* Buffalo and the texting center is actually pretty nice with plenty of hotels. So if those are your only options. That’s what I would take. They also have free airport shuttles, or $2 or something minimal, waiting outside right after the test.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:21 pm

Jcanqueen12 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Any NY takers get their seat emails yet? New NY law school graduates get theirs a day earlier than the rest of us. Would like to quit this constant refreshing game.
Lol I'm right there with you. It's annoying. I'm out of state so I'm a little bit concern about the options I will have to choose from.
Make a ranked list of locations in order of your preference in advance so that when it's game time, you'll be able to select a location without hesitating.

Aside from the convenience of flying into NYC, Javits is reputed to be a miserable place to test anyway.

capo

New

Post by capo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:47 pm

lolabear727 wrote:Any recent NY law school grads on the thread? We should be getting our seat emails next week, but other's wont get them until the next day after. A heads up would be much appreciated! Started Themis this week. Hopefully everyone is off to a good start on the studying!
a friend taking barbri classes in new york said new york graduates got the location selection emails today 6/4/2019...so out of state graduates should expect it tomorrow 6/5 I guess...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”